Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sniep posted:

"Low Chicken Prices"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
goddamn those are some low-rear end prices!!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rotor posted:

goddamn those are some low rear end-prices!!

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
yeah wtf a whole chicken ranges from $9-$13 here

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Now this thread is unironically about what the hell is going on at krogers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

99 cents a pound for whole chicken is a goddamn hell-rear end bargain

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i only eat birds and pigs

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why, that game was dope

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
midtown madness was sick nasty too

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
photoshop owns

indesign owns

illustrator owns

eat poo poo; nerds

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

uhm hello i#m a stupid computre worker that uses LaTeX; let me tell u what i think abuout *snickers*, adobe

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

photoshop owns

indesign owns

illustrator owns

eat poo poo; nerds

agreed

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

uhm hello i#m a stupid computre worker that uses LaTeX

LaTeX is good for math and software engineering papers, which has basically no overlap with adobe

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

ok sorry.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

is it possible to buy just buy flash anymore

i just want to make dumb cartoons like i did in school but apparently now you have to sign up to some shittty $$$ per month scheme

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pirate it. like you did in school.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

well yea but im a grown up now so if i can buy it legitimately i dont mind doing it. also from what i remember every adobe crack comes with like 5 viruses

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
i tried to work on a pdf today and it hardlocked my computer twice

also:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
SumatraPDF adequacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

I can confirm the title.

qirex is about as close as we get to an adobe apologist because he likes illustrator

I liked macromedia. Adobe hosed everything up.

macromedia was crap everything they made was crap [except for freehand and pagemaker which both became crap by the late '90s]

I have to use fireworks and dreamweaver almost every day and it makes me so mad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

photoshop was historically pretty garbage and there have been lots and lots of "better" competitors but it's industry standard and it's not going away any time soon regardless of how much better the competitors might be, because hundreds of thousands of artists already know how photoshop works and aren't interested in re-learning things.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

macromedia was crap everything they made was crap [except for freehand and pagemaker which both became crap by the late '90s]

I have to use fireworks and dreamweaver almost every day and it makes me so mad

yeah idk about those things, I know about the flash player. it was good when macromedia was responsible for it, and it became poo poo almost the instant Adobe bought them.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

photoshop was historically pretty garbage and there have been lots and lots of "better" competitors but it's industry standard and it's not going away any time soon regardless of how much better the competitors might be, because hundreds of thousands of artists already know how photoshop works and aren't interested in re-learning things.

photoshop has been the best since 5.5 and now there's no way anyone else can make something better (thanks patents)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this is pretty cheap and hella needs-suiting for me

https://affinity.serif.com/

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
After effects and Illustrator are good softwares

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah idk about those things, I know about the flash player. it was good when macromedia was responsible for it, and it became poo poo almost the instant Adobe bought them.
flash has always been terrible even when it was called splash

I'm sure if you're a developer and you write closed systems that don't have to interoperate with anything 100% from scratch and never adapt to any future changes it's fine

from the very beginning it was used to make things that weren't necessary, just, well, flash and it was a rare case that any text equivalent wasn't more usable or more maintainable

e: I guess video doesnt' count there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

yeah, or RIAs, or anything browsers couldn't do, which was a lot in 2003 or whenever.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

flash has always been terrible even when it was called splash

I'm sure if you're a developer and you write closed systems that don't have to interoperate with anything 100% from scratch and never adapt to any future changes it's fine

from the very beginning it was used to make things that weren't necessary, just, well, flash and it was a rare case that any text equivalent wasn't more usable or more maintainable

uhh zombo com??

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hey let's make a system for making things interactive, how should we organize it?

a timeline is the best way, surely this won't cause even moderately complex projects to become an utter nightmare every single time I mean line numbers work great for BASIC, right?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rip live motion

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
a timeline is the only thing idiot designer like me understands

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

hey let's make a system for making things interactive, how should we organize it?

a timeline is the best way, surely this won't cause even moderately complex projects to become an utter nightmare every single time I mean line numbers work great for BASIC, right?

I'm talking about the player, not the IDE, which was an abomination

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah, or RIAs, or anything browsers couldn't do, which was a lot in 2003 or whenever.

RIAs are a joke and none of them exist anymore and none of them were even good at what they did at the time

the entire concept of a "rich" ui is an idiot fever dream for babies who think they're so special that people should have to learn how to navigate a new system to find out a restaurant's address

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Stymie posted:

let's be honest: consumer-grade software is poo poo and professional-grade software is nominally less poo poo and the shittiness declines increases the more specialized the software

quoting alternate universe stymie

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just got out of a really lovely meeting so get ready for more obsolete web technology hot takes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rear end cobra posted:

a timeline is the only thing idiot designer like me understands

as someone who worked with designers, I can confirm that the timeline is a solid metaphor for nontechnical artists and children

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

I'm talking about the player, not the IDE, which was an abomination

the player which couldn't resize until a couple of years ago, was the #1 cause of MacOS crashes for 8 years, couldn't serve content to web crawlers and only looks good securitywise in comparison to Java? yeah it's rad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

RIAs are a joke and none of them exist anymore and none of them were even good at what they did at the time

http://scratch.mit.edu

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mtropolis was the only good "multimedia system" but they tried to sell it for 2 grand [laffo] the quark bought them and tried to integrate it into xpress [double turbo laffo]

it was object oriented and could use history and relative navigation and build new screens on the fly and even an idiot babby designer like me could do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

the player which couldn't resize until a couple of years ago, was the #1 cause of MacOS crashes for 8 years, couldn't serve content to web crawlers and only looks good securitywise in comparison to Java? yeah it's rad

no one cared about the mac os crashes because no one used macs back then. and the content in them was usually not important to search, because it was an application, not content. security was mostly fine until Adobe got ahold of it.

• Locked thread