Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

the owner of the company that owns the company that owns SOE is a literal russian oligarch who seized a Canadian-owned oil field in siberia with gunmen wielding ak-47s lmfao

Well maybe task force 141 should have played the loving objectives instead of OMA/thumper camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

well apparently this kind of thing isnt that weird; The War Z was allegedly backed by the mob too (Sergey Titov, also lead producer on Big Rigs)

ive heard something about gold sellers being involved with mafia on occasion but i cant remember the source

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how can I get involved in this shady money

i would legit sell gold or be a corporate shill or whatever but its not like you can find job postings for it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

A Spider Covets posted:

well apparently this kind of thing isnt that weird; The War Z was allegedly backed by the mob too (Sergey Titov, also lead producer on Big Rigs)

ive heard something about gold sellers being involved with mafia on occasion but i cant remember the source

http://kotaku.com/5960731/user-uncovers-dodgy-russian-trading-schemein-team-fortress-2

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

lmao that wasnt where i got it from but that's pretty drat good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you can't even make that poo poo up

using a freemium video game to launder mafia money

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
This thread deserves to be in games. This is both hilarious and worrisome. I better check on all my payment details.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dustoph posted:

deserves to be in games

:whitewater:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

The world of tanks guy fits the bill

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hexel posted:

that guy looks like someone that could do mocaps for gta iv characters
imagine him saying BEEG AMERICAN TITTIES

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I wonder how the oligarchs will affect the new EQ's game design. Will we have the chance to noble humans of the proud, Rossiyan republic against the cowardly, facist, and probably homosexual jeworcs of the Ukrayne?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dustoph posted:

This is both hilarious and worrisome. I better check on all my payment details.

I did too; luckily the only payment info SOE ever had on file for me was one card (to buy an expansion, I think) that expired last year. Any other purchases all went through Steam, where you basically put money in your Steam wallet and forward it to EQ2 every time, so I'm assuming this random new company won't have access to anything?

What a weird bit of news. :psyduck: Maybe the new owners will tell SOE to actually advertise their drat games, though.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 4, 2015

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Hexel posted:

Why is he hover-handing?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hexel posted:

Who is the random chick in the back wearing actual clothes? Also, who posts pictures like this?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jueg01 posted:

Why is he hover-handing?

He's not. He just has really fat fingers.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Couldn't have happened to a better (worse) company.

Murcor
Dec 1, 2007

It's a hell of a thing
Does this mean H1Z1 will take place in the zone?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I want out of EQ1 at this point is a new progression server, and those tend to boost gold subs and make dollar. So maybe two of my wishlist items will be fulfilled, once John Smedley gets shot in the dick by Russian gangsters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smg77 posted:

Finally justice for what he did to Star Wars: Galaxies.

I miss Star Wars: Galaxies, but the game is so outdated now that I couldn't play it again if it were to come back.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I miss Star Wars: Galaxies, but the game is so outdated now that I couldn't play it again if it were to come back.

I've never played any of the emulators because it just wouldn't be the same. SWG was a profoundly broken game (even before the CU and NGE) but I've never found another game that I've enjoyed as much.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Online games sound like a great way to launder some money.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

smg77 posted:

I've never played any of the emulators because it just wouldn't be the same. SWG was a profoundly broken game (even before the CU and NGE) but I've never found another game that I've enjoyed as much.

I have a weakness for profoundly broken games where you can see they were trying really hard.

I'd like wildstar more if they didn't have open disdain for the people playing it, and thus aren't really trying at all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how games need a lot of venture capital and how (in this case, Russian) mafia need to launder money, it really seems like a match made in heaven.

This should be great for gamers everywhere!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

This should be great for gamers everywhere!

Such is life.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
The fact that SOE and Everquest are still in existence provides a warm feeling to me. A feeling that resided in my broken heart. Broken from playing EQ around 2002, but still existing, beating in its atrophied state. I refuse to accept the more recent expansions or how MMOs exist today. Cazic-Thule dammit, I loved the idea of having to get 50+ people to finish a zone and needing 2+ groups to do the "break in". I loved that keys were needed for zones that had no actual gear or quest benefit, but were fought only because they were different. All I can say is Sic Semper Tyrannis, it started with SOE and it now goes with the Russian Mob.

You may take my games, but you will never take my FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

*(hasn't played an SOE game since 2002)

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lanh0bzVUk4

Eonwe posted:

how can I get involved in this shady money

i would legit sell gold or be a corporate shill or whatever but its not like you can find job postings for it

https://www.soe.com/careers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Hah, I could totally apply to them right now.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Eve online's investors are equally shady.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

xutech posted:

Eve online's investors are equally shady.

Eve also has a legit way of turning in game credits to cash. Great system if you are in the business of carding.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If SoE fails to deliver, the Russian mafia is going to come to the U.S. and break Smedlys knee caps.

You laugh, but they literally tried to blow up the CEO of BP's house when he failed to meet the profit expectations for TNK-BP, 4 times.

It got so bad, that every time you spoke about Viktor, everyone would take out their cell phones, and all electronics and place them in a faraday cage bag, and then put that bag with all the electronics in it, in another room, sealed behind a lead door. Just so you could have a conversation without fear Putins thugs would not find a reason to slam your car off the road that night. It often happened regardless, just to gently caress with the expats.

Yes you are reading that correctly, the oligarch would pay to have the entire company's phones bugged, and then he would go bribe the local cops to sit outside the company HQ, and then try to run you over. Just because he could.

So I can totally see Smedley and about 40% of the SOE guys lasting about 2 years, then most of the game content being moved to Moscow, along with all the software engineering jobs.

Other than their propensity to attempt to murder business partners, kidnap their employees & children, fail to file their taxes for 10 years; AAR group are swell guys. And like all angry sperglords they have significantly mellowed out after 40, and a few pipe bombs later. They likely did purchase the company shell for tax planning, and the game revenues just mean the R&D credits can be rolled over to UK or Russia. Which is some good coincidence given Putins daughter just announced they are going to loot the state investment trust for 1.7 billion and direct it towards building a russian video game industry 2 weeks ago.

Funny how all this works out for some guys.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 9, 2015

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
It's somehow fitting in the hilarious modern world that Russian investment firms that do these kinds of things would want to buy an MMO company

It's just somehow not surprising in a weird way. Couldn't be worse than how SOE has been so far

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

The question is will the Everquest Next developers be hiring the guys (especially the voice actors) from Metro 2033

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/01/30/putin_s_dancing_queen_daughter_behind_moscow_tech_incubator.html

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

drat, those flips dude

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Zip

And on that note, lets all go play more PS2. Its fun.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 9, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Layoffs are starting http://www.themittani.com/news/layoffs-daybreak-games

http://www.eqnextfans.com/news/30754-daybreak-layoffs-goodbye-david-georgeson

too bad they didnt start at the top, Brasse was a community person iirc.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 11, 2015

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Hexel posted:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Hexel posted:

Isn't she the one who played that dwarf during SOE Live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?
https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/565587111353778179

Looks like the Georgeson rumor was true after all, shame to see a guy so passionate about the game get the axe.

Probably the final nail in the coffin for EQnext too.

• Locked thread