Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nest Protect
More like Nest Reject
There's a reason Tony Fadell doesn't work at Apple anymore LOL
Another fine product from the maker of Android and Google Glass
LOL and these chucklefucks want me to trust them with a self-driving car?
View Results

• Locked thread
Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i guess that snyping a thread is a classic meme, but i'm not sure how to work that into a sick nest burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

lmao nest is the most apple product created outside apple

lol no it's not. it's a thermostat that is supposed to set the temperature by itself but whose whole UI is a knob designed to adjust the temperature.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Glorgnole posted:

smythe, would it be possible to get a list of classic yospos memes? i for one am not very familiar with which memes are currently the best/most classic and i don't want to potentially be at a disadvantage in this challenge

a current meme is ok too

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

smythed

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

what are memes really

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

:siren: ik challenge: make a vid of:

1) ur smoke alarm edited to have a classic YOSPOS meme on it and you hitting it a lot

2) put some cum on a smoke alarm

if a YOSPOSTer make a better thing ima probe you

:siren: Nope :siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Also, I only saw this video today so v:shobon:v

Smythe is just mad because he's a PC tard.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
does nest tweet the fire department or just you?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it uses google+ obv :chord:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh yes I got nest because i couldn't fathom losing my dog

-dies in a house fire trying to save dog after dying previously in a car accident on the way hurrying home to said fire.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I am up to 2014 code with hardwire interconnected builder grade smokes in and front of each bedroom. if one beeps they all beep. I think materials not including the romex was like $100? maybe less

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
oh yeah you can turn them off too

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i haven't heard anything bad about the nest thermostat. maybe the department that made the alarms was just total poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my bespoke fire alarms...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i haven't heard anything bad about the nest thermostat. maybe the department that made the alarms was just total poo poo

they "freeze" during updates (which you can't control) and stop telling your furnace/ac to do things until they're rebooted.

hope it doesn't happen while you're away, or hope you like burst pipes

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Smythe posted:

:siren: ik challenge: make a vid of:

1) ur smoke alarm edited to have a classic YOSPOS meme on it and you hitting it a lot

2) put some cum on a smoke alarm

if a YOSPOSTer make a better thing ima probe you

shut the gently caress up you massive turdlord

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

horse mans posted:

shut the gently caress up you massive turdlord

you seem grumpy did your gf break out of her kennel again

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Also, I only saw this video today so v:shobon:v

Smythe is just mad because he's a PC tard.

jesus

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

thats doc evil you're thinking of

yeah that's it thank you for your help

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Doc Block posted:

:siren: Nope :siren:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ive put doc blocks head on a pike for all to see. u need to at least put in a MILD effort, or pretend to be afk for the duration of the challenge. junk like this is ULTRA fail.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

ive put doc blocks head on a pike for all to see. u need to at least put in a MILD effort, or pretend to be afk for the duration of the challenge. junk like this is ULTRA fail.

smythe my man, what h appened to the sometimes daily opened meta post thread?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Valeyard posted:

smythe my man, what h appened to the sometimes daily opened meta post thread?

im going to open the next iteration of it soon

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

im going to open the next iteration of it soon

good stuff

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A Pinball Wizard posted:

rack em

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

A Retrospective on Ten Years of trying to shut off these loving smoke alarms

duTrieux. posted:

I went all out on our home and upgraded everything to the Nest line of products; 10 smoke detectors and 2 thermostats. I'm one of those early-adopter types striving to create a fully "connected home". The past year has been a massive disappointment; I had high hopes for these products but they are just too unreliable to install in your home. I am uninstalling every piece of Nest gear and sending back to the company.

Shortly after installing the Nest Protect units, we started getting "false positives". We started getting these about once every two weeks, driving my family absolutely up the walls. Time after time, the Protect system would wake up our family in the middle of the night, and we'd have to run around the house to find the right unit, climb up on a ladder and "hush" the system.

After 5-6 of these annoying events, we contacted the Nest company to complain. They have replaced about six of the units, some more than once. The false alarms continued. When a friend was watching the house, she couldn't get the alarm to stop, so she had to yank the units down and put them in the garage just to get some rest. More units were replaced, but it the false positives continued. Nest claims some units are overly sensitive, which leads to false positives. In our experience, over half the units we've had (from a variety of sources; Amazon, directly from Nest, and Home Depot) triggered a false positive.

The terminal event occurred last night. My wife and I were at a close friend's wedding, and our babysitter called to let us know the alarms were going off. This time, she couldn't get the unit to "hush". The alarms went off for over an hour late at night, and the babysitter had to take the kids out of the house and sit in her car for an hour just to get a break--- Nest literally ran my kids out of their own home. We apologized to the wedding party, jumped in the car, and sped home. Nest ruined a night we'll never get back; when an overpriced, defective technology has that kind of control over your life, something is wrong.

Nest products are unsafe due to the high number of false positives. We have had approximately 15 false positives in the last six months from almost every device in our home. I urge everyone to consider Protect as a "neat gadget", but please don't put your family's safety in their hands. Nest's marketing department wants you to believe the "old school" smoke detectors were unsafe because people took the batteries out. I find that comical, since my Nest Protects have spent a good portion of their life outside or in the garage in an attempt to silence the alarms and get some sleep.

On a related note, their thermostats are great, until they lock up randomly and turn your heat or A/C off. This happens from time to time--- perhaps once every six months. Not a big deal? It was 21 degrees outside last night and our main Nest unit "froze" about 10pm. Terribly unsafe. Nest claims this happens "during upgrades" that the push out on their own schedule. I guess their strategy is to hope that nobody relies on the thermostat to work consistently? What would have happened if I didn't notice the thermostat was off? Burst, frozen pipes, most likely.

The whole Nest concept is great; replace antiquated smoke detectors and thermostats with "smart" new technology. However, they failed to realize that a consumer's thermostat and smoke detectors MUST WORK RELIABLY, 100% of the time. Nest's products are 99% reliable, but that 1% failure rate is unacceptable for products that are relied upon to protect your home, family, and property. Buyer beware--- these products are not ready for prime time, and frankly put your family in more danger than traditional, "old fashioned" technology.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu9QYzOejNE

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

wierd, but cool i guess. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Ballmer
Aug 25, 2013

Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

Smythe posted:

\
wierd, but cool i guess. thanks

:laugh:

• Locked thread