Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
fortieth reply
close the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i loving love barrels

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hubris.height posted:

i loving love barrels

Important: Shallie has multiple barrel lines!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Hey for Kortes's sidequest as Shallotte:

I managed to trigger the battle for Fran Pfeil and beat him while I was still looking for the Bio Dragon, and I can't finish off the sidequest anymore since he's already dead.

Will Fran Pfeil respawn eventually or is there a different dragon I should be fighting? Do I just wait for Round 2 with Shallistera? I'm also having trouble fishing the King Fish.

I basically ended up beating the game and I'm just waiting for a Growth Menu patch before starting Shallistera's story. Finally getting around to understand how chaining works too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i didn't read the op. you wanna post like, screenshots of the game, instead of gay anime box art?

If the frilly dresses on the covers don't sell you on the games, they aren't for you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Something I found out accidentally, which will probably save some players a ton of effort: you can Synthesize the Perpetual Motion trait property. Recycle/Recycle+ combines into a 30% conservation property, and Recycle+/Recycle++ combines into a 50% conservation property, just like in E&L. What's new (to the best of my knowledge) is that the 30% and 50% properties now combine into Perpetual Motion, and the component Recycle properties can be gotten quite early in the game.

In practice you'll probably get Perpetual Motion while doing the soul-crushing Soul grind anyway if you're going for postgame content, but having it around early while you're doing the storyline is nice. A Media Book with Perpetual Motion + Auto-50% + that property that turns healing items into time cards is pretty heady stuff, since you won't be making Elixers until Chapter 9's free time.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
You can also create the always-critical property, as it's just the combination of all the lower-end +Crit% properties. There's actually a reason to use it over Fatal Blow now because Fatal Blow costs too much PP and a lot of things are immune to instant death instead of it wiping all non-boss enemies. Death is basically completely useless in the DLC dungeon and on the maximum difficulty. The always-critical property costs less PP and fits with a few other combos that would otherwise exceed 99. Also Fatal Blow only goes on attack items, but you can make a healing item always critical. I'm not sure if Crit Power applies to critical healing though, so it's probably less useful than an effect boosting property.

By the way, automatic activation stacks additively. 60% + 50% will cause an activation if an alchemist takes any damage whatsoever. Having a 60%+50%+Perpetual Motion Elixir basically forces an enemy to wipe your party or use a Death effect on your alchemist or else everyone gets fully restored.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
...god drat it, I need to find another Dunkelheit now, don't I?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is there a way to synthesize things at miruca's workshop or do you always need to go back to the atelier if you're missing an ingredient?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

elf help book posted:

If the frilly dresses on the covers don't sell you on the games, they aren't for you.

well thats fine i aint gay

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cake Attack posted:

is there a way to synthesize things at miruca's workshop or do you always need to go back to the atelier if you're missing an ingredient?

the latter it seems so far, unfortunately

do you get her stuff from books too, or is it just unlocked by time?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm at Chapter 2 of Shallotte's side and her mom wants 50 pieces of Leather. Do I need to do that before ending the Chapter? Also, do items with the "Limited" tag need to be bought before the end of the Chapter? There's a book of colored supplements that I cannot afford at the moment.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Mill Village posted:

I'm at Chapter 2 of Shallotte's side and her mom wants 50 pieces of Leather. Do I need to do that before ending the Chapter? Also, do items with the "Limited" tag need to be bought before the end of the Chapter? There's a book of colored supplements that I cannot afford at the moment.

No to both. I don't think I finished the leather sidequest until like chapter 4. Shop inventory might get changed by regional effects, but those should be temporary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mill Village posted:

No and no. You can give your mum the leather at any point, ending the chapter doesn't effect it, at least it took me three or four chapters worth of wild pelt to get enough. And the 'limited' items just mean that it's a special item that you can only buy once.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Been playing Ayesha a bit. What is causing stuff to happen? Is it based on the date, or my alchemy level or what? I imagine it's different for different things, but events seem to be popping at random.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BKPR posted:

Been playing Ayesha a bit. What is causing stuff to happen? Is it based on the date, or my alchemy level or what? I imagine it's different for different things, but events seem to be popping at random.

There's a lot of things that cause events to pop up. Mostly they involve dates, a specific amount of time having passed from a previous event and friendship levels. I think there's only a small amount of them triggered by alchemy level, if at all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the progression in this game seems weird.

im like level 35 but i only have access to the lowest tier of weapons and nothing stronger than a lightning bomb

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

im like level 35 but i only have access to the lowest tier of weapons and nothing stronger than a lightning bomb

It depends on the kind of Life Things you do. If you do a lot of Combat EXP ones you'll gain levels absurdly fast.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Got my 110% and 60%-with-buffs infinite auto-Elixirs, and 1-slot with 999 Quality this time. Feels pretty good to be mostly invincible again.

Now I'm trying to figure out Shallistera's unique items, the flute and the talisman. Getting properties on the Talisman/Flying Board is easy, but the actual ingredients they take are generic garbage (literally so in the latter case). I know you can disassemble certain items to make crap for the Flying Board but I don't think you can do the same for the Talisman, so it's hard to get much in the way of chains on it, let alone having the space to compress it to 1 slot or chain it up to 999 Quality. And then the cheeky thing wants you to add the secret effect, which requires adding Water for the skill that unlocks secret effects, but to actually get the good effect you need to have 0 Water. It's basically a super-nerfed Tauzent Blitz.

The flute just looks like bullshit in general. It can only get down as low as 3 slots or just max out at 9, and it takes one fewer skill to do the latter. I guess her poo poo is harder to make because it's individually stronger to account for Shallotte's Mix skill, but I don't know where to start on it yet. It's actually pretty clever having the ultimate recipes require worthless poo poo so you can't slap extra slots and triple chain skills on all the ingredients, but it makes me think there's probably a "right" answer and I don't know what it is.

hubris.height posted:

the latter it seems so far, unfortunately

do you get her stuff from books too, or is it just unlocked by time?
It's either books or story progress, I can't recall and I seem to have all of the weapons/armor available in the last chapter.

Cake Attack posted:

Alchemy Level is basically the most important thing in terms of what you can make and you can't even make very good Fire/Ice/Lightning Bombs until high levels. They are decently strong though. Character level doesn't seem to give much in the way of stats compared to the Growth System and gear, which is probably why the game throws Combat Exp bonuses at you all the time as otherwise you wouldn't be gaining any stats from fighting at all.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Cake Attack posted:

in the same situation here. i just beat the dune worm and unlocked the ghost ship, and am at level 41. however, i have only the third teir weapons available, and can't make anything stronger than a uni. the levels actually seem to make very little difference overall in combat power, i feel like everyone has been doing the same amount of damage for 20 levels.

did devs give a date for the patch yet? last time i checked twitter they had acknowledged the growth system bug but hadn't announced a fix yet.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The growth system really isn't needed to finish the game. It just took a little more leveling and a few more alchemy items.I'm at lv55/56 and only had my rear end handed to me by a boss that appeared randomly.

I'm one life task away from being thrown into the final boss battle, so I have to avoid them until I'm done leveling. That's really how they limit gameplay and side stories. Once life tasks are complete it forces the player to advance the story to see side tasks again.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The final chapter is just infinite free time. You can see the secondary Life Tasks even though you have a "story" objective, and that objective basically doesn't complete until the game is finished (actually, you have to manually return to town afterward, but the game immediately ends when you do so don't fight the final boss). Motivation is automatically maxed out and never goes down too (or at least it never declines). If you missed any secondary tasks doing them in Chapter 10 is the way to go about it; you don't have to avoid them at that point, the game will not advance until you fight the final boss and you have to walk in and choose to fight it for that to happen.

The only thing you can't do are the freeform primary life tasks, and those are all generic "do more of x" anyway and don't give additional experience or stats.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So do you have any alchemy tips? I find myself just throwing whatever at the wall and seeing what sticks in these games. If I recall, E&L had a cool moneymaking scheme with alchemy but I can't seem to replicate it here (or I've forgotten how). I have no idea how to get quality high or add cool abilities to items.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's basically about spamming skills together to get Chains and then using Chain Effect to boost the Effect Strength of stuff to 120+. For baseline quality purposes everything >120 is just treated as 120. Other than that just try to make everything as small as possible and have as many uses as possible, which basically means make sure the item can take Wind skills by having at least one ingredient that grants Wind. If you happen to have some properties that enhance the item, so much the better, but for 90% of the game it isn't worth hunting down or creating power-boosting properties. They're mostly just a waste of time and the very best things to put on stuff are mostly drops off final chapter superbosses.

To maximize the Effect Strength at 999 you need a lot of slots on the ingredients (there's a property that adds one to the ingredient it's on) so that you can put a bunch of the same element sequentially on the cards (which need to have the element you're using on them). Then use the Earth skill Effect Chain once the chain is really high to raise the Effect Strength to 999, and/or use the Water skill Attribute Chain to increase all elements to insane levels. Manipulating the bars to get different Effects only matters on a few things, so otherwise just push the bars as high as you can. Unfortunately there's no way to drain an entire element like in E&L, so you have to rely on one Water and one Earth skill that drain the elemental attributes from a card if you want to lower a particular element but still keep its skills. A couple of the ultimate items basically require this, as well as really anal sequencing of skills.

Miruca's way easier because for whatever reason Effect Chain and Attribute Chain are both Earth skills for her, so you can make nearly any weapon or armor 999 Effect Strength by just slamming Earth skills in a line until the Chain is 9999. The tradeoff to that I guess is that her Quantity+ skill is always two slots and only gives 1 extra item, but using the property that triples Chain contribution it's generally easy to find a spot for it. The important thing is that you put same-element skills in an unbroken line, even if the skills are worthless; you might not have an Ore item in the ingredients to use Ore+ on, but just throw it on anything with Earth on the card and it will still provide its Chain. Maxing out Chain is pretty much the trick to everything in the alchemy system.

There is a way to do some kind of recursive money-making trick with a few item chains but it doesn't seem to be worthwhile as just doing some requests gives you more money than you need. All you ever have to buy that's expensive is books; by the endgame it was trivial to buy out the merchants' restocking inventory and the only other thing that costs money is making weapons and armor (and Miruca charges basically nothing for that, like 200c for a top-tier item). You can crank an item's sale price up to like 200k or something but doing a loop with that is pointless as 200k is probably more money than you would ever need under any circumstances.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did they remove the character-specific endings, or did I manage to qualify for literally none of them during my first playthrough?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There are only five endings: Two for each character individually, and a NG+-only True End.

I have no idea how you get any of them. :downs:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know I have the first two done with Shallotte. When the game ends she has two options, but you don't see the results until after the credits. There's still a bunch of character illustrations to get, so you're not totally missing out. As matter of a fact, I managed to miss a couple, even with the free time. I'm not sure if I want to do an NG+ run. I may just watch the other endings on YouTube once they're uploaded.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I stalled out around chapter 5, level 30, for a few days. Part of it was decision paralysis with the new members, but I was also hoping the patch would be close. I suppose I may as well proceed.

Game feels like it moves faster than E&L. I suppose it is mostly because you aren't looking for ways to screw around to burn time because you got all your tasks done in the first month.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 18, 2015

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I just managed to get Evolved Body to drop from a boss fight, only to promptly lose it before I saved due to forgetting that it was a 40 PP property. Still kicking myself.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like a lot about Shallie but I think more than anything I like the soundtrack. It's so upbeat and positive, and parts of it remind me of Xenogears (namely the Atelier theme). I still don't quite get alchemy but it's getting better. I just unlocked chaining so that's what I've been missing up til now. Also, I love that you get that Swing ability that just obliterates lower level enemies without a battle at no penalty. The game does a lot right.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i agree, shallie improves on e&l significantly, and e&l had improved on ayesha a lot. its a really great game and its unfortunate that it had a game crashing bug at release, because everything else (excluding text box overrun but what are you gonna do) is really really good.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It kind of makes me wish for a greater emphasis on exploration though. The lack of a time limit and the much faster story progression means stuff is opened to you that much more quickly, but in the end clearing areas is pretty much just a matter of crossing a mostly flat area to the other side, often with very few enemies in the way. The closest thing to an actual "dungeon" is in Chapter 8, and I'm generously calling it that only because it has a couple of branching pathways.

Since they have a waypoint system, it wouldn't be that hard to have larger, less linear areas that are harder to get to and that lead to more places (but which have easy teleports when returning to an area to harvest). Maybe tie that somewhat to making things for progression as well, but in a more varied fashion than the older games' "bring a big enough bomb to blow up this rock." It's actually kind of funny that the one game in the series where that kind of roadblock's not just a pointless inconvenience is the one that has absolutely no roadblocks outside of story progress, and the easiest story progress on top of that.

Secret areas full of incredibly strong and aggressive enemies would be a good way to reward people who actually keep up with their alchemy instead of being lazy like me and just halfassing my way to the final chapter so I can dodge all enemies and acquire top tier properties. And limiting how many new areas are story-gated in general would be a good thing for explorers and risk-takers. Still, this is a series that improves through yearly baby steps, so I get that this isn't going to be perfect. It's the first entry that even had a (mostly) free camera, and that also shows somewhat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So I read on GameFAQs today that the 1.01 patch rolled out and fixed the growth menu. I can't try it at the moment, does that seem to be the case? If so I'll ease off the brakes and start enjoying the game again!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that good if true because I just unlocked the growth system last night

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah it works now

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nice try NIS I'm not playing your anime titty game with boring as poo poo combat.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only Atelier game I played so far was Ayesha and it was pretty good, if very obscure in terms of what you have to do at times. Music was great, but that's probably true for all GUST games. Speaking off, what about the other series like Ar Tonelico and its spin offs?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ar Tonelico 2 is the only one that really approaches being an enjoyable RPG battle system. 1 is too simple and 3 is godawful. The main issue with Ar Tonelico is that it takes a few reasonably interesting concepts and a cool setting and ramps up the anime to 11, which ruins any of the emotional weight the psychological "diving" into the broken heroines is supposed to have. But since 1 and 3 are pretty boring and 2 has what I say without reservation is the worst supposedly professional translation I have ever read - I don't mean it's full of spelling errors or grammar issues, I mean half the lines are loving nonsense and you can't make any sense of the plot - it's probably worth skipping.

Also, it involves fixing emotionally broken women with your penis empathy, so... :yikes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ar Tonelico 2 is the only game I can think of with heroic implied pedophilia as a plot point so nothing good anyone can say about it will remotely overcome that loving plot point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EU version of Shallie confirmed no longer broked.

• Locked thread