Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We are all Let Us Play. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today Claire and Moira break out of prison and then the mysterious voice continues to taunt them with German literature. In the meantime, Claire continues to ignore gigantic super obvious horror cliches despite being in several horror games already, while running away from Pyramid Head.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In regards to the sandwich line, it's also totally something you could see Barry joking about with people. Barry's a goofy old guy and he's great.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I think these are some fair complaints. I disagree that it's not as fun as RE4 because while I do think that game is the 'best' in the series, it's extremely annoying to actually play it because of the controls imo.

Yeah, I'll agree that not being able to move while aiming - or sidestep - was a bit of a black mark on an otherwise pretty great game.

Raid mode looks like it might be fun in this; I haven't tried it yet. I don't know how you manage all the quick aiming in that, though; I think I'm nearing the end of episode three in the campaign and the mouse acceleration is still kicking my arse. It's like... it's hard to come up with a good analogy for this. It's like trying to walk on an icy surface.

... If walking were aiming. Ugh - you see what I mean.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I think "granny swears" refers to gosh, darn, heck, rats, shoot, etc.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

That's funny, I've been referring to the Ironheads as Budget Pyramid Head :v:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah even me and my friend just started immediately calling them Pyramid Heads.

This game pretty openly takes inspiration from Silent Hill in the monster design and a lot of the atmosphere as well as all the ~symbolism~. Even the flashlight stuff. The result is strong yet still distinctly cheesy enough to be Resident Evil.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, I'll agree that not being able to move while aiming - or sidestep - was a bit of a black mark on an otherwise pretty great game.

Raid mode looks like it might be fun in this; I haven't tried it yet. I don't know how you manage all the quick aiming in that, though; I think I'm nearing the end of episode three in the campaign and the mouse acceleration is still kicking my arse. It's like... it's hard to come up with a good analogy for this. It's like trying to walk on an icy surface.

... If walking were aiming. Ugh - you see what I mean.

Believe me when I say I know the feeling. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about the real, actual mouse acceleration but there are steps you can take to reduce its strength. If you're playing on PC, turn vsync off IMMEDIATELY. Like holy crap, when I first got the game I played with vsync on and I got exactly what you were talking about. Also, sometimes the game doesn't put the correct hz for your monitor so make sure that's properly set under 'scanlines' as well.

Also, turn on the fast aiming/fast camera mode in the options menu. The game puts a maximum speed on your ability to turn while aiming or pointing the camera, which makes snap shots pretty hard to pull off. Turning those options on overrides that speed cap.

liquidypoo posted:

That's funny, I've been referring to the Ironheads as Budget Pyramid Head :v:

Glad I'm not the only one!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Speaking of Silent Hill, here's some fun facts for you:

The Overseer is voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (pretty much every Silent Hill vocal track as well as Mary/Maria in the HD version of 2) and Barry is voiced by none other than the psychiatrist in Shattered Memories, Michael McConnohie, aka the motherfucking narrator of Dragonball Z. His mimicking of RE 1 Barry's voice is spot loving on.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I see Pyramid Head has gotten loose from Silent Hill and is now invading other franchises. Where will the madness end? :ohdear:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

man nurse posted:

The Overseer is voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (pretty much every Silent Hill vocal track as well as Mary/Maria in the HD version of 2) and Barry is voiced by none other than the psychiatrist in Shattered Memories, Michael McConnohie, aka the motherfucking narrator of Dragonball Z. His mimicking of RE 1 Barry's voice is spot loving on.
Actually, Kyle Hebert (Teen Gohan) was the narrator for DBZ. McConnohie did some other anime stuff like Big O's Schwartzwald and more recently, Seth from Street Fighter 4.

And I do love McConnohie's performance. He really nails down "Old Man Barry", for a lack of better words. Plus, Barry finally gets top billing after all these years of being a support character/Mercenaries exclusive. Now if they'd only explain why they decided "Barry at 51 years old" should look like James Lipton.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the dude who does Barry in this game is a pretty spot-on impersonator of the original guy. Except with less, uh, 90s PS1 Era Voice Acting.

man nurse posted:

The Overseer is voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (pretty much every Silent Hill vocal track as well as Mary/Maria in the HD version of 2)

Oh no way! I didn't know that, that's pretty cool.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

man nurse posted:

Barry's voice is spot loving on.

NO

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Believe me when I say I know the feeling. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about the real, actual mouse acceleration but there are steps you can take to reduce its strength. If you're playing on PC, turn vsync off IMMEDIATELY. Like holy crap, when I first got the game I played with vsync on and I got exactly what you were talking about. Also, sometimes the game doesn't put the correct hz for your monitor so make sure that's properly set under 'scanlines' as well.

Also, turn on the fast aiming/fast camera mode in the options menu. The game puts a maximum speed on your ability to turn while aiming or pointing the camera, which makes snap shots pretty hard to pull off. Turning those options on overrides that speed cap.

Alright, I'll fiddle around with those; thanks. A lot of poorly explained options in there. I should have tried disabling v-sync before, but it's not an especially graphically intensive game and it's running at a flat 60 fps without my video card breaking a sweat, so I didn't think of it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
:science: Well no wonder you don't have a problem with those spidersdogs! Those are tailless whip scorpionscats, and not spidersdogs at all!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I was gonna mention that the crab whip spider things aren't actually spiders, but that's what the game calls them!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 12, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Just finished watching part two of episode 1, and Cjacobs you're killing me here, why would you blow up that rare weapon part with the flamethrowing bust? Clearly you're supposed to turn the bust then turn on the flames. :v:

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 12, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the more we see of this game the more I can see a reason why Alyson Court didn't voice Claire again, but Claire just doesn't sound the same anymore :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Just finished watching part two of episode 1, and Cjacobs you're killing me here, why would you blow up that rare weapon part with the flamethrowing bust? Clearly you're supposed to turn the bust then turn on the flames. :v:

I know :ssh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atomikus posted:

You'll want to pick that bolt apart and let it sit in turpentine for a day or so. There's probably some crap stuck in somewhere. Possibly even in the chamber.

Nah, I cleaned out cosmoline from virtually the entire gun and detail stripped the bolt once. The stickiness is totally random and not dependent on specific cartridges in the chamber being weirdly sized (I've used a set of dummy rounds made from emptied surplus ammo to test for that variable); sometimes I can cycle it with no effort and sometimes I need to yank it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I like how Moira covers her ears when you fire a gun too close to her. That's good attention to detail.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Samovar posted:

I like how Moira covers her ears when you fire a gun too close to her. That's good attention to detail.

Their facial expressions actually change during dialogue as well, depending on the context, which isn't something readily apparent. There's lots of nice touches despite this being a bit of a budget title.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have recently made an effort to play through every RE game, and this is my favorite, especially when playing coop. The controls work well with the more aggressive enemies, and it's got a pretty much perfect length. All the characters are really endearing, too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today we return to the company of the man, the myth, the legend. And also fire and spinning blades of death. It seems Barry has come to the island looking for his missing daughter like any good father would; and then he shoots lots and lots of zombies in the brain. Like, uh, any good father would.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arriving with two powerful, accurate handguns, an assault rifle, and spare ammunition officially makes Barry the single smartest and best prepared Resident Evil PC in the history of the series.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He's pretty much the only one who's ever had a chance to get into something with full knowledge that he's probably getting into something, with the exception of Chris in CV, and even he brought a bag of gear that he promptly lost.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wanderer posted:

He's pretty much the only one who's ever had a chance to get into something with full knowledge that he's probably getting into something, with the exception of Chris in CV, and even he brought a bag of gear that he promptly lost.

I was thinking of Chris 'Butterfingers Boulderpunch' Redfield, yes.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
An old grump loaded for bear teamed up with a small child who's somehow involved in this whole zombie thing.

I'm just going to go ahead and pretend the Barry parts are actually a Biomega game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Natalia is so drat adorable and kinda cool for a co-op partner, you just know some hosed up poo poo has happened to her. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SaffronKit posted:

Natalia is so drat adorable and kinda cool for a co-op partner, you just know some hosed up poo poo has happened to her. :(

Her ability is super useful, too. Knowing the room's going to have X number of dudes in it is great even beyond stealth killing them.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

SaffronKit posted:

Well, she's got the non-blinking red "Subject Mutating Right Now, Shoot To Kill" bracelet thing so it's basically a given, yes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Night10194 posted:

Arriving with two powerful, accurate handguns, an assault rifle, and spare ammunition officially makes Barry the single smartest and best prepared Resident Evil PC in the history of the series.
I think this is just to mislead the player; put them into a false sense of security and have them go gun crazy, only for them to realize that Barry needs to be more stealth oriented (especially since it seems like he ends up getting a lot less ammo than Claire does over the course of the game). But it works out better when the player realizes this since the Rotten enemies have no spacial awareness and are super easy to stealth kill.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Apparently the reason Barry's revolver looks so blocky now is because they remodeled it to resemble the Smith & Wesson Model 500, specifically the variant from Resident Evil 5.

Edit: Also, Natalia's a goddamn badass. She's 10 at the most and she just goes and smashes a zombie's head in with a brick without even flinching.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 16, 2015

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently the reason Barry's revolver looks so blocky now is because they remodeled it to resemble the Smith & Wesson Model 500, specifically the variant from Resident Evil 5.

Resident evil 5 or 6? Because the one from six looks like this:

While the one from 5 looks like this:

Either way I rather like the way his magnum looks. It reminds me of the handguns the judges use in the Dredd universe. Lawbringers? Lawgivers? i dunno what they're called.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ALSO

I was a little suspicious of how Barry brought an AR-15 to a Russian island and was able to scavenge assault rifle ammo from the environment...until I looked closer at his gun. He's using a KAC SR-47, which uses standard 7.62x39mm AK magazines. IMFDB thinks this is its first ever visual media appearance.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

chitoryu12 posted:

ALSO

I was a little suspicious of how Barry brought an AR-15 to a Russian island and was able to scavenge assault rifle ammo from the environment...until I looked closer at his gun. He's using a KAC SR-47, which uses standard 7.62x39mm AK magazines. IMFDB thinks this is its first ever visual media appearance.

Huh. I've only ever seen that gun on full gun nut mode in Jagged Alliance 2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barry's trademark magnum has always been a Colt Anaconda (though in the original pre-remakes RE1 it was a Colt Python). The above is from REmake and you can only get it if you kill Barry which nobody should ever do because he's the best sad dad ever.

However, in this game it's apparently an S&W Model 500:

Except with a comically oversized Colt Anaconda barrel, for uh, some reason. Everything besides the barrel is yanked from the RE5 version (see IBlameRoadSuess' post)

Do note that the gun blending might not actually be an error because the game mentions several times that Barry loves customizing his guns, so maybe he tinkered with it himself somehow.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 16, 2015

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Do note that the gun blending might not actually be an error because the game mentions several times that Barry loves customizing his guns, so maybe he tinkered with it himself somehow.
Considering that the Samurai Edge that everyone from S.T.A.R.S. used is also a custom Beretta (that Barry seems to have modified further compared to how it looked in 1998), I would not be surprised that Barry saw the Colt Anaconda and the S&W 500 and went: "How can I fuse these two into one awesome gun?" and then set to work making said kitbash.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah man, Barry's Samurai Edge bears posting in HD because look at the drat thing.

That is one hell of a frankengun! :v:

By the way, don't look at the IMFDB page for this game unless you want lots of story spoilers courtesy of quirky image descriptions. Usually they're great but this time and this time alone they have only served to work against me :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

By the way, don't look at the IMFDB page for this game unless you want lots of story spoilers courtesy of quirky image descriptions. Usually they're great but this time and this time alone they have only served to work against me :argh:
Well, it's not like Capcom set a smidgeon of the budget aside for artwork placeholders to be put in the game, leading to endgame spoilers being released into the world right after episode 1 got released. :v:

Also, what in Gods name is up with the muzzle on Barry's Samurai Edge? :stare:

• Locked thread