Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
One thing about poison that made the game pre-elixirs especially hard: poison drains both HP AND MP. So in older versions getting poisoned was a massive ordeal to get over, and made Shu Goth doubly annoying if he knocked you into the poison pits at any points.
I still find the idea of elixirs weird, since they basically neutralize a large amount of challenge at basically no cost.
Anyway, the Gardens almost drove me mad during my first godslayer Gilda playthrough, because those sorceresses are actually really resistant to magic damage overall and Gilda's pretty much the designated INT character. On top of that, you'd only have Dark, Poison and Ice magic at that point, with the former two being resisted by the enemies in this area, and the icicle magic would basically be nullified by the summoned bat enemies. It's a weird early peak of the difficulty because after that you can basically wreck the game.

I think there are overall less areas where you fight angels over demons? Or maybe I miscounted, but it seems to be the reason there are more angel bosses than demon bosses.

Finally, Claudia and all the magic lanterns around are actually a cameo from the devs' previous game, although she was younger and had a leg brace rather than a peg leg.. It was a neat little RPG/match 3 game that kinda worked like Tetris Attack.

AnonSpore posted:

e2: My only gripe about this game is that skill cancel is mapped to down, which leads to a lot of frustration and wasted skill cancels sometimes.
I think you can remap that? But Skill Cancels still remain assigned to both down and whatever new button you assigned it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
The achievement for beating Shu Goth without getting hit/S ranking the fight is appropriately titled: You're Over Where?

Now imagine having to get that back about a year ago, before all of the newfound fun stuff like Elixirs came into play. Without knowledge that you could use ice on the guy repeatedly. Fun fight all around, and I can safely say his AI was much, much worse in regards to teleporting when you're about to hit him/close in on him from either of the sides.

I was a terrible Wyatt player then, only slightly less of one now. I am waiting on finding out how you are going to get the double jump early, because it's that important of a skill that you could conceivably argue its more important to get than anything else, if you could, at this point. How are you getting it?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

There will be a video tomorrow. It's mostly side stuff/backtracking and very little progress, but ended up being around 30 minutes even after editing a lot of backtracking. It'll probably be a 3 or 4 hour export. So I'm excited for that.

AnonSpore posted:

I picked up this game on sale at gog recently and it's been 4 dollars very well spent. The demo didn't allow you to retry bosses which was a huge minus for me (I hate missable stats), but I heard that the new version allowed retries and so it has. It's been great fun.

e: Son of a bitch less than five minutes into your LP I learned something new. I didn't know you could kill fish for items!

e2: My only gripe about this game is that skill cancel is mapped to down, which leads to a lot of frustration and wasted skill cancels sometimes.

I don't think you can retry bosses without exiting to the menu. If you beat a boss you're stuck with whatever score you get unless you reload.

Fishes do, indeed, drop items. They don't drop anything that's super rare or unique, and I believe they all drop the same stuff as most feral enemies. Still it's does seem like they have a higher drop rate, but maybe I'm just lucky.

I highly recommend playing this with a controller over a keyboard. It feels really good with a controller.

HGH posted:

One thing about poison that made the game pre-elixirs especially hard: poison drains both HP AND MP. So in older versions getting poisoned was a massive ordeal to get over, and made Shu Goth doubly annoying if he knocked you into the poison pits at any points.
I still find the idea of elixirs weird, since they basically neutralize a large amount of challenge at basically no cost.
Anyway, the Gardens almost drove me mad during my first godslayer Gilda playthrough, because those sorceresses are actually really resistant to magic damage overall and Gilda's pretty much the designated INT character. On top of that, you'd only have Dark, Poison and Ice magic at that point, with the former two being resisted by the enemies in this area, and the icicle magic would basically be nullified by the summoned bat enemies. It's a weird early peak of the difficulty because after that you can basically wreck the game.

I think there are overall less areas where you fight angels over demons? Or maybe I miscounted, but it seems to be the reason there are more angel bosses than demon bosses.

Finally, Claudia and all the magic lanterns around are actually a cameo from the devs' previous game, although she was younger and had a leg brace rather than a peg leg.. It was a neat little RPG/match 3 game that kinda worked like Tetris Attack.

I think you can remap that? But Skill Cancels still remain assigned to both down and whatever new button you assigned it to.
I'm so glad they added elixirs into this game. They're so helpful without breaking the game or making it too easy. I'll be showing off what it's like to deal with an ice area without a warm elixir. It's rough.

Yeah I didn't get too much farther than the Gardens when I played as Gilda. It was a real spike in challenge even on normal.

There's 7 demons areas and 5 (or 6 if you count the library) angel areas. Also just about all the angel areas are near each other where the demon areas are all spread apart.

I did not know that about Claudia! I also never noticed her peg leg. I did notice the magic lanterns being reused.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 04 - Wyatt - The Library :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNfdOt6lopM
Lore:
Gilda Ire - Dave Mac - Daemahn - Daborsk - Rinn Speras - Axen - Shadoboxxer
The Yeti

D_W fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 14, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wow poo poo they give you the double jump -this- early now?

I like the library a lot, but I wish they gave you easier access to it. Running back and forth through Hurkk and the feral corridor gets real old fast.

EDIT: Removed per request

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 9, 2015

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure that you can't parry any of the Yeti's attacks as Wyatt. I just gave it a try and the grab, punch, and slam all broke through my bare-knuckle fury.

I'm also pretty sure that the Yeti is a bad boss. He has one attack pattern that he doesn't deviate from, at all. Punch, slam, punch, slam, icicle shower, and then repeat. The punch is a grabbing uppercut if you're close, and a dashing straight if you're far. He'll end his icicle shower with an extra uppercut if you don't stun him out of it. And that's it. No surprises, no tricks. Getting an S rank is about taking your knowledge of the game's fluid combo system and skill cancels, burying it underground, and poking the Yeti with 2-4 attacks for every one of his until he keels over 2 minutes later. Save your one skill cancel to stun him during his icicle shower and then let it recharge while you wait for the Yeti's uppercut.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Wow poo poo they give you the double jump -this- early now? Ho ho, that loving tower must be much easier now.

I like the library a lot, but I wish they gave you easier access to it. Running back and forth through Hurkk and the feral corridor gets real old fast.
Also!
It's really important that you kill the Yeti as soon as you can. If you let it rampage for too long, you lose out on one of the game's towns.
You may have noticed that the OP didn't pick up the teddy bear at the shop. Don't do that either unless you are a bit further into the game, are prepared for a really tough fight and have nothing to do at the library. That thing is easily one of the meanest newbie traps in the entire game, especially considering the rest of the stuff the dude sell is both rare and really useful.

You may want to spoiler tag all that stuff that I tagged for you. Please. There's a reason why I hadn't mentioned that stuff yet.

But yeah, you can get Double Jump really early if you know where it is now. Also: That tower is now very different.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

D_W posted:

You may want to spoiler tag all that stuff that I tagged for you. Please. There's a reason why I hadn't mentioned that stuff yet.

Sorry. I just straight up removed it.

TheBlandName posted:

I'm also pretty sure that the Yeti is a bad boss.

Eh, I think he's more of an introduction to the idea that some bosses require you to play it safe, and only attack when an opening presents itself. Especially since you can fight him when you have various amounts of equipment and levels.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Eh, I think he's more of an introduction to the idea that some bosses require you to play it safe, and only attack when an opening presents itself. Especially since you can fight him when you have various amounts of equipment and levels.

I think we're in complete agreement as to what kind of boss he is. But where we disagree is that I feel that kind of boss is necessarily bad. The Yeti isn't exactly easy for me, because it's mostly a test of patience and I don't want to be patient when I'm playing a game with a fluid combat system. I don't want to hop around and watch some designed attack animation; I want to shut my enemies down and kick their shins in.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

TheBlandName posted:

I think we're in complete agreement as to what kind of boss he is. But where we disagree is that I feel that kind of boss is necessarily bad. The Yeti isn't exactly easy for me, because it's mostly a test of patience and I don't want to be patient when I'm playing a game with a fluid combat system. I don't want to hop around and watch some designed attack animation; I want to shut my enemies down and kick their shins in.

I feel like that kind of boss can be done well, but you need to do it right, and do it at the right time. Often, it's probably best to use such a boss at the earliest stages (Demon's/Dark Souls, for instance). Then the player gets a good idea of what to expect from the get go.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The thing with the Yeti though is that you can fight it at any point you want. Like, the moment you get to Tagrum you can just hightail it back there and try and fight it at level 3/4, and it'll be a super tough fight. In fact I think the timer for S rank accounts for this and is pretty generous as a result.
I liked that hit in the back to stagger it mechanic because it was both rewarding and risky. When you only have 1 dodge charge, you'll likely have to use it to interrupt its attacks(especially the one where it fires projectiles in the air) and then immediately try to move out of the way of its counterattack. It's a simple boss overall but I think it has an excusable design, and it really helps you manage and learn the cooldown for your dodge cancels.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is it just me or do the demon archers' poison arrows use the same sound byte as killing enemies in the Genesis Sonic games? It's really distracting to me for some reason.

e: Just so you know, all heavy attacks save Reina's kicks will guard crush.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

:siren: Update 05 - Wyatt - Western Skyway :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO2rSQDQUOk
Lore:
Coming soon...

Notes:
Oh. I forgot to mention. I did notice while editing that her crystal will slowly heal her. It's pretty significant too. About a 20th or so of her health each time.

D_W fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 17, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's funny, I don't think most people would really call Magus easy. Maybe she was toned down since last year but I recall her being a sticking point for some.
Her crystal regenerates her health, and whenever she steals your spells she'll basically just give herself a big stat boosts to all her stats. Not too bad for Wyatt, pretty dickish for magic focused characters. Otherwise she really telegraphs her moves and her parry is just silly since it leaves her exposed. It's mostly the magic swords that start increasing in number that provide the difficulty.

Assists level up through use, it's just that Kantae has such a ridiculously long cooldown (30+ seconds) that you can barely level him up. Also, assist level ups are gated to your level: you can get them to level 2 when you're 5; 3 when you're 10, and so on for levels 4 and 5.
Kantae also has the added effect of stunning everything in the room when you use him, which can be helpful in a pickle.

Angel Rangers are pretty neat enemies. Kinda fragile gunslingers, and they heal and resurrect other enemies just like the bigger angels, but if you break the halo that's following them around you can nullify those abilities.

As far as copy paste bosses go, I think the Raven is neat. He really kinda shows just how much the arena helped you in the Yeti fight, so you gotta conserve those dodges. Other than the bigger AoEs and poison, he can also change direction mid-combo, which is pretty dangerous if you dodge past him. Axen is really good here just for the extra back attack/stagger, and the electric status effect which decreases enemy defense.
I think if you never buy the Broken Dollthe Raven will show up behind the Library as an endgame boss.

I really like how radical of a change the extra weapons are for Wyatt and Reina. I dunno if they can carry an entire playthrough but they're still interesting to use. Less so for Gilda, who just gets various AoEs and weapons based off different stats.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hi. Hello. This LP isn't dead. It's just been real hot in Seattle and other reasons so I haven't had time to record commentary.

Here's an update though:

:siren: Update 06 - Wyatt - Guardian Temple :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ibz3m7GfbI

No more lore. It's a pain to do.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yup, Wyatt is related. When the Elder said the Goibniu motto, Wyatt finished it for him, which was a touch I always liked. Wyatt cares a lot about his heritage, despite the image he tries to maintain.

And yeah this boss is a chump. Angel magic wrecks his face, ice blade wrecks his HP, and if you just sorta stick next to a wall, you can avoid the tornado and slightly moving back and forth lets you avoid his vertical lasers. I didn't even know you could knock him out of that tornado attack.
Oh yeah and does everyone see those floating black skulls? gently caress those things. They were positioned in perfect spots to knock you out of your jumps and off the platforms. There were three in particular that I remember were utter dicks, like that one where you have to wall jump back up to the floating stone room.
I actually sorta liked this temple, but traversing it more than once is a test of patience.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if our protagonist is going to find those stolen eyes.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finally noticed this thread; this is a Really loving Good Game despite the characters looking like rear end and the story and dialogue apparently being written by a 12 year old. My playthrough took me something around 15 hours, most of that was spend happily exploring and messing around with various spells and weapons - the fact there's areas, unique loot and even optional bosses hidden around made this the best metroidvania experience since SotN for me.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Finally noticed this thread; this is a Really loving Good Game despite the characters looking like rear end and the story and dialogue apparently being written by a 12 year old.

Really? I liked the art style and the dialogue. The crew characters were out of place but that was more because they were designed by Kickstarter backers.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, they really changed this dungeon. For the better. Resetting your progress in such a trap heavy place is just mean.
Fire is also a mean attack. You can sorta get stuck and juggled by it and it'll just eat through your health. It also seems to be really good at slowing down computers and being resource intensive?
If you don't wise up and use ice against Jahzract, his explosive counterattack/armor can be real mean. As soon as you figure that out though the fight gets considerably easier, since he flinches way more often.
You may recognize Reize as that dumb out of place boss from Shovel Knight. He threw boomerangs there too. The dude who made is really obsessed in getting him in as many games as possible it seems.

SSNeoman posted:

Really? I liked the art style and the dialogue. The crew characters were out of place but that was more because they were designed by Kickstarter backers.
I've seen some weird insults about the artstyle that I don't get at all. Just the other day someone was calling it "lovely Korean mobile MMO" style. That seems waaay too specific on a criticism.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

That's the only explanation I could come up with for naming a character Shadoboxxer too, yeah.

HGH posted:

I've seen some weird insults about the artstyle that I don't get at all. Just the other day someone was calling it "lovely Korean mobile MMO" style. That seems waaay too specific on a criticism.
The environments are great; it's characters where this falls apart. Look at the sprites with giant heads and tiny bodies: in a platformer with a somewhat human cast, you want to design your character so you can get a sense of their agility; everyone having the body shape of a baby isn't the best option. Curiously enough, it was the option took by what I believe was the original pay-to-grind, Maple Story. The way cities are set up, in particular, is essentially the same as in that game, just pull some screenshots.

Character portraits are their own set of terrible. The kickstarter thing is probably to blame here but they're all over the place not just style-wise but also by design, there's zero consistency. Proportions are wrong - again - and whoever drew them can't even decide on what style they're ripping off. Of course, that can be tracked to the loving ridiculous character concepts - I get it with the minor NPCs but two of the worst offenders are the unlockable playable characters: DRAGON LADY WHO IS ALSO A WITCH and LIBRARIAN GUNSLINGER WITH A DEMON ARM are firmly rooted in horrid fanfiction territory. They also both look creepy as gently caress.

edit: Another example: your first teamup whatshername with the stupid military hat. Just about everything on her picture coflicts with something else in it.

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

HGH posted:

It's funny, I don't think most people would really call Magus easy. Maybe she was toned down since last year but I recall her being a sticking point for some.

It's a very hard boss for some people and a super-easy one for others. The difficulty is almost completely determined by which character you play as, and how you've leveled up. If you focus on light magic, you'll deal next to no damage and if you get to Magus early you might even do less damage than her healing. So you're stuck at a boss which you literally can't kill and every time you die you start over inside the boss room with the doors locked. Magus alone seems to drive a lot of people (including me) to just uninstall the game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Yup, Wyatt is related. When the Elder said the Goibniu motto, Wyatt finished it for him, which was a touch I always liked. Wyatt cares a lot about his heritage, despite the image he tries to maintain.

And yeah this boss is a chump. Angel magic wrecks his face, ice blade wrecks his HP, and if you just sorta stick next to a wall, you can avoid the tornado and slightly moving back and forth lets you avoid his vertical lasers. I didn't even know you could knock him out of that tornado attack.
Oh yeah and does everyone see those floating black skulls? gently caress those things. They were positioned in perfect spots to knock you out of your jumps and off the platforms. There were three in particular that I remember were utter dicks, like that one where you have to wall jump back up to the floating stone room.
I actually sorta liked this temple, but traversing it more than once is a test of patience.

Yeah it's really tough to fight him without ice magic. I just wish there was a better indicator for when the ice buff runs out.

We'll have to come back here to pick up some stuff later. There's some armor here that I really like when playing as Vlad.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if our protagonist is going to find those stolen eyes.

:shrug:

Brass Monkey posted:

It's a very hard boss for some people and a super-easy one for others. The difficulty is almost completely determined by which character you play as, and how you've leveled up. If you focus on light magic, you'll deal next to no damage and if you get to Magus early you might even do less damage than her healing. So you're stuck at a boss which you literally can't kill and every time you die you start over inside the boss room with the doors locked. Magus alone seems to drive a lot of people (including me) to just uninstall the game.

That boss can be really tough if you come through that area after doing other stuff. In one of my test saves I went through the Western Skyway after clearing the Guardian Temple and yeesh, that boss fight was much more difficult.

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

This Compsognathus model at the Oxford University Museum of Natural History shows the animal's narrow skull and long, tapered snout.

D_W posted:

That boss can be really tough if you come through that area after doing other stuff. In one of my test saves I went through the Western Skyway after clearing the Guardian Temple and yeesh, that boss fight was much more difficult.

To clarify for everyone else... It turns out Magus is completely optional and there's an alternate path to the Guardian Temple. If you play as a magic heavy Reina you probably want to take the alternate path to get dark magic. Then you can decide if you want to beat Magus (who is weak to dark magic) or just ignore her completely. This is not at all obvious from just playing the game without a guide, though. I just REALLY wish you could back out of boss fights, or at least there should have been a save point before each boss fight. Western Skyways doesn't even have a savepoint at all.

I think I'll give this game another go but with another build. D_W makes it look a LOT more fun than it was for me on my first try.

Brass Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 12, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yes it does. Right at the start of the Eastern side which is only about 4 rooms away from the boss room. In those transitional areas it's really not a big deal to just reload your save instead of retrying at the boss. The lead up to them is not difficult and most enemies can be avoided. This isn't true in the areas like the Guardian Temple and Abandon Gardens, but areas like Western Skyway or Sewers it's not a big deal. I'd understand getting mad at having to fight the Raven if you bought the item unknowingly since it is an actual road block.

On your first go, I'd probably recommend leveling up a bit. But recruiting Daemann to get Double Jump and his other helpful upgrades is probably a better idea as enemy ranks might be tied to your level (though I'm pretty sure it's tied to your story progression.) Regardless you just have to make sure her crystal is down and hit her with heavy attacks, down dark magic, or the Axen assist to break her guard.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

anilEhilated posted:

The environments are great; it's characters where this falls apart.

I will submit that a lot of environments suffer from a lack of contrast, however, or have contrast in the wrong places. There are places in the game where it's hard to pick things out at a glance and things sort of melt into each other. Some backgrounds are ridiculously overcrowded, which doesn't help matters. Things just don't pop.

Another big gripe is the atrocious interface design. The monochrome blue on all the parts and the gradient text looks really bad, and the menu navigation in general is clunky. My personal pet peeve is that the line wrapping in scrolling dialogue boxes is done hella wrong. The item descriptions are obtuse at first and just like to vomit abbreviated stats at you.

Despite all that, this isn't a bad game by any stretch. It's not a great game, either, but it's not a bad game.

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

D_W posted:

Yes it does. Right at the start of the Eastern side which is only about 4 rooms away from the boss room. In those transitional areas it's really not a big deal to just reload your save instead of retrying at the boss. The lead up to them is not difficult and most enemies can be avoided. This isn't true in the areas like the Guardian Temple and Abandon Gardens, but areas like Western Skyway or Sewers it's not a big deal. I'd understand getting mad at having to fight the Raven if you bought the item unknowingly since it is an actual road block.

On your first go, I'd probably recommend leveling up a bit. But recruiting Daemann to get Double Jump and his other helpful upgrades is probably a better idea as enemy ranks might be tied to your level (though I'm pretty sure it's tied to your story progression.) Regardless you just have to make sure her crystal is down and hit her with heavy attacks, down dark magic, or the Axen assist to break her guard.

Okay, I thought that save point was part of Tagrum, but you're right, it's not that many rooms in. I think the main issue I had was that I made what the game considered a very poor selection of skill points and attributes which meant even fights against normal enemies took quite a while. I completely missed that you could respec your character as well so I figured my character was screwed at that point. In most games respeccing is a fairly important mechanic so it's usually very easy to find.

I guess this is a more general question... How many mechanics/spells and such are missable? Am I supposed to go through each area over and over to find every hidden room just to be able to do basic game stuff? Or just go for the boss fights and then leave for other areas? I saw some points about using X weapon or Y follower, but nothing seems to indicate where they are or even if I can access them with the current tools I have. Should I just get used to running the game with a guide open?

I googled for a more beginner friendly build and started over with that, and so far I'm going at a much greater speed than the first time. Especially having access to dark magic from the start is super useful, especially against bosses. So a lot of my issues seems to be fixed by switching characters. Not totally sold on the game yet but it's a lot more fun than last time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Followers are missable, but that's one equipment slot and none of them is in an area you can't return to. There are two additional weapons you can craft out of items dropped by bosses that you can get a bit earlier than you would just progressing through the game (by killing the Yeti at Tagrum and getting the Raven to show up in the central skyway - but you can get a second shot at both of those later on) and one super-hidden weapon you can unlock by stupidly obtuse means (beating an optional boss in a hidden area + using all of an extremely limited resource that's used in upgrading other weapons). All magic runes are gained through the story.

Most of the hidden areas contain crafting items, but some of those are unique and used to make unique stuff - so re-entering and exploring areas you've been in already is greatly encouraged.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 12, 2015

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Most of the hidden areas contain crafting items, but some of those are unique and used to make unique stuff - so re-entering and exploring areas you've been in already is greatly encouraged.

I was more refering to how much time to spend exploring areas the first time you go through them. Right now I'm in the garden and there's a lot of chests all over the place but some of them seem really tough to get without more movement abilities. But I'm not sure if the game actually wants me to try over and over until I manage to get them and they will contain an item I need for the next boss, or if I'm supposed to wait until later. A lot of chests early on can be grabbed with some very tricky use of using magic mid-air to get a few pixels more height, but this doesn't really seem to be intended since it's such an obscure mechanic.

Given that you get stuff like the Paladin armour which is clearly designed to help you in the next area, should I worry about missing similar items later? I'm having some problems with the poison enemies in the garden. Can I get an armour to help with that somewhere in the garden? Or should I backtrack all the way to town to grab the potion for that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I... don't think so, if I remeber correctly, the anti-poison (/curse/burn) armor is pretty drat late and requires three or four well-hidden unique craftables. Still, if there's an item that looks like you can get it, there's really no reason why not: you should be aware the the only real movement abilities you'll get later on is the double jump and kind of a horizontal teleport; if you want flight or castlevania stuff super high jump, you're out of luck.

Also the potions aren't ever really needed, they're basically there for when you decide an area is way too much of a pain in the rear end.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Despite all that, this isn't a bad game by any stretch. It's not a great game, either, but it's not a bad game.
Yeah, I should probably re-emphasise with all the bitching I do: I really loved this game and definitely intend to play through it again. Horrible art and all. That should tell folks something about the quality of the gameplay.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 12, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hey, while I don't mind people asking for strategies and general guidance I'm not found of spoiling abilities and equipment for those folks who are following the thread but haven't played game yet. So I'd appreciate if you throw some spoiler tags on that, anilehilated.

Brass Monkey. You don't find any abilities in chests. It's all armor or crafting stuff, and none of it is missable outside of certain shop keepers and optional boss drops (which you'll likely not use on your first run anyway.) There is a point of no return, but it's not til the very end. You gain all your abilities from either bosses or npcs. So don't worry about not being able to get stuff. Just play it normally for now.
I will tell you (since I already mentioned it in the LP) that the respec guy is right outside Tagram. Just go through the Elder's place and it's the door right above that entrance. You need double jump to get there as Wyatt.

Anyway. New update today some time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I blame the fact I discovered this LP so late so I'm not up-to-date with it yet. Better now?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The first video of this LP convinced me to buy the game. Downloading right now. God drat I love metroidvanias

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

D_W posted:

Brass Monkey. You don't find any abilities in chests. It's all armor or crafting stuff, and none of it is missable outside of certain shop keepers and optional boss drops (which you'll likely not use on your first run anyway.) There is a point of no return, but it's not til the very end. You gain all your abilities from either bosses or npcs. So don't worry about not being able to get stuff. Just play it normally for now.
I will tell you (since I already mentioned it in the LP) that the respec guy is right outside Tagram. Just go through the Elder's place and it's the door right above that entrance. You need double jump to get there as Wyatt.

I figured since you got stuff like the scroll for Skill Cancel from a chest there would be other scrolls for other abilities in chests around the place, but I guess I was wrong about that. Plus I like exploring in general. Some of the chests I've managed to grab seems to have been intended for much later in the game, but since there are sections that requires a lot of precise platforming and skill combos, I figured the game just expected pixel perfect jumping combined with air attacks to reach a lot of the chests. But with unlocking the ability vendor in the Library a lot of those chests are now much easier to get.

I have been playing as Wyatt up to the same point as the LP has reached, and I have to say the game is a lot more fun as Wyatt. I've beaten every boss on the first try, although some of them have been very close and very tense towards the end. The game is more engaging when you get the pace up. However, I sometimes feel like Wyatt is a bit too strong against most feral enemies. Most of them last maybe a second. Especially with the jump+heavy attack from the bow.

Is Reina supposed to be extra hard? Especially with the Magus fight, the difference in difficulty between Wyatt+Strength and Reine+Magic is pretty absurd. I figured since there is an actual difficulty selection, all characters would be of roughly equally powerful, and that the Advanced tag was just because she had to rely more on combos/movement.

Brass Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 12, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
She just plays differently. I haven't done a full playthrough as her, but encountered little trouble with an agility focus build - I believe the dedicated mage character is Gilda. Magus is just a pain in the rear end in general.
Also going full STR on Wyatt will backfire on you later, you definitely want some agility for that critical chance.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 12, 2015

Brass Monkey
Sep 27, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Also going full STR on Wyatt will backfire on you later, you definitely want some agility for that critical chance.

I've put some points into Luck because that increased critical chance for me plus gave a lot of other bonuses. Is this just something for the first few points of luck or is critical chance shared between agility and luck?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't remember whether Luck affects crit rate at all, I keep thinking it's all about item drops - if it does, it's less than agility.
edit: There is also an item that outright doesn't drop unless you have at least 5 luck and the chances of getting it from enemies increase with the stat.
Which is a pain in the rear end because the game never tells you this and it's used in crafting a lot of the good stuff.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 12, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, Reina is definitely an agility character. I haven't played her in the new patch, but in the previous one I went full AGI with a good armor set and one specific accessory, and it's just really fun since she can hit stuff so much more.
Luck affects various stats. I believe each level in Luck will increase something different. One time it can attack damage, the next it could be armor, or affliction, and so on. Going full Luck gives the most "balanced" build so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ah yes. Skill Cancels can be found in chests. As can Health/Mana potions, but those are the only ability related things. They're always in blue chests.

Riena is listed as the "advanced" character for a reason. She's great if you understand the combo system and are good at it. She's also the real main character. But I'd still recommend playing as Wyatt your first time through. He's just easier to understand.

Luck effects all sorts of things. The big things are Crit chance and drop rate, but there are other things based around luck that make it a great stat to add points in. Generally I'd say pick either STR, INT, or AGI as your main stat and put a few into Luck every now and again. Each stat does increase a variety of things. Each time you go to add a stat point it'll show you what other stats it's increasing.

• Locked thread