Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Is this already on Netflix or soon-to-be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Astrofig posted:

Is this already on Netflix or soon-to-be?

Already there, has been for about 12 hours now.

n00n3r
Jun 18, 2012
I was excited when I heard about this show due to J. Michael Straczynski being listed as a creator. I had no idea the Wachowskis were involved also.
So far i'm really enjoying what I've watched. The only thing that could make it better would be an appearance of Zathras.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does it pick up after episode 1? cause I forgot half the storylines already and I'm not sure what's the main story supposed to be. Is this going to be a lost style "focus on one character per episode" thing?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

Does it pick up after episode 1? cause I forgot half the storylines already and I'm not sure what's the main story supposed to be. Is this going to be a lost style "focus on one character per episode" thing?

No it cuts between all the characters really quickly.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

It definitely picks up between the first ep, and while no episode is exclusively about one character, they do focus more or less on a few characters at a time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ep 10: HOLY gently caress WOLFGANG!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm up to episode 4 and absolutely love it. Besides being gorgeously shot and directed, I genuinely like the characters.

My favorites are the telenovela guy and the DJ.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Ep 10 I'm having some legit tears. Man I really hope none of the 8 dies

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E5: pretty mad at sun for taking the fall for her scumbag brother

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Okay I'm done and I'd watch another 12 episodes right now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
EP:10 I want the Lito, Hernando, and Daniela Show (guest starring Wolfgang) and I want it now!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

full series Daryl Hannah must have a great agent to get her a regular cast credit for this

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E6: lol transcontinental orgy

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Just about done with episode 9. I don't think they have enough scenes of people crying in this series. If you're going to be a drama, cool, but it's almost comical now. Despite being drowned in an ocean of tears, I am enjoying the few and far between lore tidbits, but they're awfully ham-handed. The whole scene in Iceland/Chicago with Jonas + Mysterious Old Woman + Riley + Gorski just wasn't very well written at all. Maybe I'm just annoyed at episode 9 and it's clouding my judgment of the rest of the series. I dunno.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought that scene was great, It was like 3 conversations going between 4 people, that only two could hear.... didn't bother me.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E7: Whoa. poo poo just got real. Wasn't planning to watch another episode tonight, but I guess now I have to.

E8: I love that the younger versions of Wolfgang and Felix had the exact same haircuts all those years ago.

"I don't know how to drive."
"I do."

And then he goes loving JCVD. Awesome.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 6, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dik-dik posted:

"I don't know how to drive."
"I do."

And then he goes loving JCVD. Awesome.

Still E8: That whole sequence of everyone coming together to offer their skills was ace.

"I was sleeping"

Rarity fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 6, 2015

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The 'special thanks to' credit for Jean Claude Van Damme in the credits is such a nice touch, he's like the 9th member of the group. I'm now halfway through and he mix of real life locations and batshit insane plot really works well and every character is under threat by different but equally menacing forces. When Van Damme gets led away by the cops you can see from how the onlookers react they just know he's getting executed in a ditch, business as usual in Nai-Robbery I'm afraid 10 episodes are just not going to have the time to fully flesh out all these intersting characters and plotlines.

Lito is the best storyline for its ridiculousness and Erendira Ibarra who stole and crushed my heart in Capadocia, the HBO Latin version of Oz.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Okay I'm done and I'd watch another 12 episodes right now.

Yup. Not without a few tacky moments but I'm already bummed out by the thought of having to wait for more. They really nailed it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the show was fantastic.

Given that the buzz currently surrounding it is low, and that the show is clearly expensive as all get the gently caress out, I'm not holding my breath for a second season.

But I'd highly recommend it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Given that the buzz currently surrounding it is low, and that the show is clearly expensive as all get the gently caress out, I'm not holding my breath for a second season.

Being that Netflix thought it prudent to fund a second season of Hemlock loving Grove I will seethe with impotent rage if this isn't extended for at least one season.

Nevertheless, you're probably right.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm five episodes in and I have to say that I really love this show. My favorite character is probably Capheus, but I don't dislike a single one of them and I like him most simply because of the sheer joy in his reactions to the various sharings he has had so far. Seeing him (episode 4...I think)daintily sip tea from Riley's cup like a really stereotypical British person was hilarious. I loved how happy he was to appear in (episode 5)Seoul too. And the fact he managed to quickly convince Sun to open up just by his honesty and openness. He's just a really nice guy. They writers are really managing to pluck a lot of humor from the various mind trips. Wolfgang appearing (episode 5)naked in the middle of Kala's wedding right as she's about to give her final vows was fantastic too.

After the montage in episode 3 I'm surprised that the thread title isn't What's going on? It seems show appropriate as a whole really. It, and the short sequence in episode 2 where Capheus appears in San Francisco as Nomi is making her video blog (I presume at least) about pride were gorgeously shot and both had me tearing up a little.

I'm also really happy that everyone involved in Kala's storyline is just so nice. Both her parents and Ryjash (is that his name?) are really, really sweet people, which makes the dilemma all the more appealing. Not even gay, but after the (episode 3...I think, again - they're blurring together)dance he organised and his desire to have a ring to show commitment I'd be tempted to marry the guy, never mind what she's presumably supposed to be feeling. I like that both her and, to a somewhat lesser degree due to the fame involved, Rito are facing more mundane challenges, but that the writing is still strong enough in those to keep you just as engaged in their struggles.

I know this had zero buzz in the lead up to the show, even here it had no thread till the day the show was starting, but here's to hoping it starts to generate some positive word of mouth and pick up a bit of steam due to it. It certainly deserves it based on the first 5 episodes and I can't wait to watch more.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ep 10: HOLY gently caress WOLFGANG!

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--" was about my reaction to that as well.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
i enjoyed this series a lot

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Finished the show. Still processing. Wish it didn't end so abruptly, but there was nothing else to say this year, and the image of the 8 of them on a desolate boat feels like a solid punctuation mark for the season.

I love this show enough to be nervous, but I'm not too worried about cancellation. The Wachowskis have a following, and Netflix loves to be in business with people who have followings. That's more guaranteed subscribers whenever their new show comes back. I don't know if the finale answers the question posed by the main critical consensus -- "Yeah, it's cool, but is it anything?" -- but I think the key is to look at this first season more like an Altman-esque multi-character drama, wherein the characters are empaths who can help and/or offer additional insight into each other's situations. I think if certain members of the press can grasp that and not worry (too much) about stuff like "What do the Whispers want?" or "How can sensates be in two places at once?" then that's more incentive for Netflix to renew it.

But honestly, barring catastrophic circumstances, I doubt this is the last we've seen of the show.

Anyway, here's what I want to know (E6). Sensate Orgy: Great thing or greatest thing?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

The Crooked Warden posted:

Being that Netflix thought it prudent to fund a second season of Hemlock loving Grove I will seethe with impotent rage if this isn't extended for at least one season.

Nevertheless, you're probably right.

Grove got a third season too somehow. I don't understand it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
What needs to be added to the OP is that Sun is the best character hands down.
The scene in E3 where she puts a hole through her dad's assistant's desk gave me chills. She is the one they need to step into the most often.

Capheus is also a standout considering the poo poo he has to go through to protect his mother and his very 'upbeat' attitude in dealing with it all. I'd say Nomi was definitely the "director's pet", with Will and Riley following after. They're not bad, mind you, just that they got a much larger share of screen time than the other people.

At first I was a bit hesitant at the show considering how slowly they were meeting, but it definitely picked up.

Now, in case you were wondering about the ratings it's getting, the people who love the show, love it because of its sci-fi character drama. The people who hate it however are usually like this:

quote:

I was looking forward to this series. It started off great in the set up in first few minutes, but then it introduces a lesbian p0rno scene. I turned it off after that. Can't recommend this based on that, and I also can't recommend this to me my teen children. To put this into context I have been at gay bars with friends, and I have roomed with gay and lesbians, but I felt this was just in p0rno genre. I have seen p0rno in the past that actually had similar scenes. Disappointed in N3tflix for sponsoring this this.

Yep. And don't think I'm kidding if you are a skeptic. Look at all the low-star reviews and the main thread they have in common is "too much g@y stuff". It's great

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

quote:

p0rno

quote:

n3tflix

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I only watched 2 episodes of this last night. The first one didn't grab me much, but the second one made me more curious to see the rest of the season. Probably gonna watch the rest over the next couple days.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Postal Parcel posted:

What needs to be added to the OP is that Sun is the best character hands down.
The scene in E3 where she puts a hole through her dad's assistant's desk gave me chills. She is the one they need to step into the most often.

Capheus is also a standout considering the poo poo he has to go through to protect his mother and his very 'upbeat' attitude in dealing with it all. I'd say Nomi was definitely the "director's pet", with Will and Riley following after. They're not bad, mind you, just that they got a much larger share of screen time than the other people.

At first I was a bit hesitant at the show considering how slowly they were meeting, but it definitely picked up.

Now, in case you were wondering about the ratings it's getting, the people who love the show, love it because of its sci-fi character drama. The people who hate it however are usually like this:

Yep. And don't think I'm kidding if you are a skeptic. Look at all the low-star reviews and the main thread they have in common is "too much g@y stuff". It's great

I just was looking at those, and it makes me so sad. I'm a 50 year old het white dude who grew up in the south and I thought the EP2:Lito and Hernando romance was one of the sweetest and most natural things. EPat least 7:The scene where Lito tells Nomi about his first meeting at the museum was goddamn inspiring. I really feel sorry for those reviewers.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010
I'm busy watching ep1 and posting here which kinda gives you an idea how boring it is... it's the same old wachowski crap, bad acting and poor script.

great cinematography though, john toll is amazing.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Is this show just "Cloud Atlas but at the same time"? I am debating watching it but the Wachowskis are really hit-or-miss with me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

Is this show just "Cloud Atlas but at the same time"? I am debating watching it but the Wachowskis are really hit-or-miss with me.
It's very low on plot, but it spends a lot of time setting up the characters who are great.

It's not what I would consider an action show, it's a lot heavier on the philosophic side.

You'll end up loving the characters, but the show will probably feel like a very slow burn after a couple of episodes.

I personally love the show, but the plot is less bad as it's non-existing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ufarn posted:

It's very low on plot, but it spends a lot of time setting up the characters who are great.

It's not what I would consider an action show, it's a lot heavier on the philosophic side.

You'll end up loving the characters, but the show will probably feel like a very slow burn after a couple of episodes.

I personally love the show, but the plot is less bad as it's non-existing.

The other way to look at it is that this year is all about where everybody's coming from and how they all come together. So the focus is very much on individual stories, and the end sets up a more group-oriented story for the next season (though there are hooks to continue the individual stories; one instance is a straight-up cliffhanger, and at least two others wrap up neatly but change the character's circumstances in ways that can be explored on the next go).

But yeah, don't think of this as a plotty sci-fi epic in the vein of The Matrix. It's a multi-character study that shares more DNA with Babel or Short Cuts with clever science fiction elements spliced in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It actually has some really well done action too, but it is absolutely a character driven piece and all the characters and their friends (and enemies) are fantastic.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

kierrie posted:

I'm busy watching ep1 and posting here which kinda gives you an idea how boring it is... it's the same old wachowski crap, bad acting and poor script.

great cinematography though, john toll is amazing.

Same here, figured I'd give it a shot but it's not doing a goddamn thing for me, really not feeling it one bit.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Up through episode 5 so far. The pilot was very slow to start but drat if this isn't a fantastic show. Really hooked me by episode 3. It's definitely paced more like a 12 hour movie, not a standard TV show which is why many aren't liking the pilot that much.

My favorite scene so far is Lito screaming at traffic in Ep 5. I'll have to remember that next time im commuting to work.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It actually has some really well done action too, but it is absolutely a character driven piece and all the characters and their friends (and enemies) are fantastic.

Fantastically stereotyped.

Is there going to be a season 2? Considering how much this is costing and the pretty lukewarm reviews I would doubt it, though netflix is just one giant moneybag so you never can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

I was hooked since episode 1 and I've loved watching the whole season, but from reviews and comments on Twitter I was starting to think I was the only one who liked it. I'm glad to see there's people here who like it as much as I do, since I was a bit worried about it being cancelled.

• Locked thread