Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Applewhite posted:

Me too. I lol every time.
I've even installed a highly experimental new app called "adrekt" which actually costs websites money by entering a -1 clickthrough value for every ad it detects.

This is awesome and I will be installing it when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I used to make ads for stuff I wanted to sell online but it just ends up being clicked on by people in Russia or 8 year olds playing their iPhone games

The stats and numbers they give is really cool but you really need to put a lot of money behind it if you want to see a noticeable return

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
thats assuming that ads themselves arent morally reprehensible. i mean idk if they are bad, but i wouldnt call ads morally good

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

the entire point of an ad is to convince you to buy/look at something regardless of whether its actually any good for you or not which means ads are morally questionable at best and exploitative/malicious at worst, so no its not morally questionable to use an app to prevent them from showing up in the slightest

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Broenheim posted:

thats assuming that ads themselves arent morally reprehensible. i mean idk if they are bad, but i wouldnt call ads morally good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
bring back the warez subforum :twisted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i always uncheck 'allow non-instrusive ads' asap whenever I reinstall adblock. but i just looked, and they must have reset it in a update

time to switch to ublock :byewhore:

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

How do I block those "Ad Bock Plus" ads?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
There are quite a lot of products I absolutely refuse to buy simply because of how idiotic and annoying their ads are. I really do have to question the type of retard that goes in to marketing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

There are quite a lot of products I absolutely refuse to buy simply because of how idiotic and annoying their ads are. I really do have to question the type of retard that goes in to marketing.

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Content creators need to find a way to get funds directly from content consumers. I suggest mugging them on the street.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
So is sucking 1000dicks a day but that doesnt stop YOU, OP!!!!

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rezatahs posted:

install ublock origin and you will be free

hows that better than adblock?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
also when i block ads i get the goodies for free while someone else foots the bill, so this is a form of cucking if you think about it really

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

les fleurs du mall posted:

The use of adblock is morally questionable?

is this a statement or a question

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

if every ad was actually links to poo poo i wanted to buy, not intrusive to my viewing experience, or not malware, i wouldnt use it

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
im also going to lump this phenomenon in with getting past dumb paywalls with incognito mode. gently caress you new york times. get cucked!!!! BY ME :twisted:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
we exist only to be delicious consumers and ads fatten us up, dont ruin it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*sees billboard outside window, closes blinds*

:clint:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tbh it is morally questionable to shove advertising into every facet of everything ever

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Text ads and static pictures don't bother me, but when I see an ad that is animated or making noise, I just block that entire ad host. gently caress 'em.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
that reminds me, what the gently caress is the point of all these aggro gator ads.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

hows that better than adblock?

better overall performance and doesn't have a switch for "acceptable ads"

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
destitute adbots will band together and turn on those who have forsaken them

then who will have the last laff???????

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

rezatahs posted:

better overall performance and doesn't have a switch for "acceptable ads"

yeah okay ill try it out

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wouldn't this with itself out anyway? I assume the price of ads in a newspaper depends on the number of readers, so the price of ads on the internet would be based on the number of clicks and views from people NOT using adblock, so nobody would be losing any money.

Like, you didn't see advertisers bitching when people started ditching their newspapers because ads in newspapers should have gotten cheaper.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Whatever, it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to feel bad for not looking at ads lol

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Noblesse Obliged posted:

more like morally awesome

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Doctor Schnabel posted:

yeah okay ill try it out
it's good.

its like going from utorrent (which got super bloated spyware infested poo poo company) to qbittorrent which is a lot faster, cleaner and just feels a lot better to have installed.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Me too. I lol every time.
I've even installed a highly experimental new app called "adrekt" which actually costs websites money by entering a -1 clickthrough value for every ad it detects.

if this was real I would pay money for it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

which got super bloated spyware infested poo poo company

why do companies keep doing this poo poo?

is it purposeful to gain a userbase to get more money when it eventually becomes ad heavy or what? I remember switching to utorrent just because it was tiny and worked efficiently and as soon as it started to bloat up I switched again to qtorrent. I'll switch again if necessary.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You're right I should turn off adblock.

*Spends the rest of eternity listening to flash banner ads that come with audio that plays automatically while trying to figure out how to fix chronic malware infections*

At least now I can sleep at night.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

why do companies keep doing this poo poo?

is it purposeful to gain a userbase to get more money when it eventually becomes ad heavy or what? I remember switching to utorrent just because it was tiny and worked efficiently and as soon as it started to bloat up I switched again to qtorrent. I'll switch again if necessary.
money. money never changes.

yeah i remember when utorr was like 96 kilobytes, coming from poo poo like Azureus it was a god send. then slowly it started going up to like 15 mbs or w/e it is now because they kept bundling other poo poo software you need to uncheck and ads, also the bitcoin miner lol

qbitt is at least open source so it shouldn't ever have that problem. ublock is also open so that's cool.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Some sites block you for using adblock.

The ones that don't are perfrectly free to start doing that. They largely aren't, so they must be ok with people adblocking.

v:shobon:v

Valk
Aug 12, 2011

PhantomBowie tapped this @$$
i mean you could question the morality of using adblock

but the answer is that it's immoral not to use it.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
considering ad networks have been complicit in delivering viruses, anyone with a problem can get their teeth chipped out. foh, smh

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

considering ad networks have been complicit in delivering viruses, anyone with a problem can get their teeth chipped out. foh, smh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rahu posted:

Some sites block you for using adblock.

The ones that don't are perfrectly free to start doing that. They largely aren't, so they must be ok with people adblocking.

v:shobon:v

I just leave those sites instantly unless it is something I *really* want and it can't be found anywhere else (which is rare as gently caress on the internet).

Those are usually the websites that are super ad heavy and annoying and why I got AdBlock in the first place anyway so gently caress 'em. If there weren't ads in every single square inch of space all the time everywhere I wouldn't be using AdBlock in the first place.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i dont think ive ever been blocked from a website i wanted to go to for using adblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Hitler posted:

i think you accidentally made the body of your thread the same as the subject of your thread

every time you post i think youre 3O

• Locked thread