Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Penthouse

"The company will pay you to be on retainer. This isn't some scheme to get money from anyone. If it was, I'm sure the company could found a big group of paranoid people with more money than sense. That would also guarantee poor results. The group came together because it worried about what would happen if a major disaster happened and if the Governments of the world couldn't fix it. If governments around the world collapse, and then what would we have? Nothing but anarchy." He looks over at Micheal and walks over to the window.

"You see anything odd out there?" Chad moves closer to the window and looks outside. Michael and Chad look out and see nothing.

"Pardon me, I need to step outside a moment." Chad goes out to the balcony. He closes the door behind him and walks out to far end of the balcony. The man looks up at the sky as if he's expecting something. He scans the sky and then stares out to his left. He turns to the group.

"Get back from the window! Get back!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael was torn. Being on retainer to help in the event of a disaster sounded like something he would be interested in. And he wouldn't question this much at all, if the circumstances weren't so shadowy. "Well, I already have obligations in the event of disaster," Michael begins as Chad begins walking toward the window. He stops as Chad excuses himself, slightly frustrated at the man being so dismissive, but the moment that he comes rushing back in ordering everyone back, Michael rushes away from the window, heading for the cover afforded by the kitchen counters. Several years in and out of various FOBs taught him to gladly head for cover when told, provided he didn't have someone open on his table.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

Jonas steps away from the window and finds somewhere he can get a decent view of the window from while still providing cover should he need it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

Confused as hell, Dave remains standing near the buffet table, looking towards Chad. What kind of rich nutjob was this guy?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

As the group moves away from the windows, a loud boom could be heard. Barely a second passes before the shock wave of the explosion hits the building. Chad slams into the glass and his head manages to crack the glass. His head starts bleeding from where it hit the glass. The building shakes and Chad slides down unconscious. At this point everyone goes to hide behind something heavy to protect against further damage. A strong wind flings bits of debris and a deck chair up onto the balcony and into the glass. The glass holds, but cracks being to form. The wind speed slows and now carries a green dust. The dust swirls up covers everything on the outdoor balcony. The dust lightly coats the glass, but not enough to look through the glass.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Rich crazy dude panics. Explosions go off. And now there's green poo poo in the air outside. Apparently, just because you're paranoid, didn't mean that poo poo wasn't going to go down.

"gently caress! The gently caress is goin' on man? This some sorta terrorist poo poo? Fuckin' hell! The gently caress is the green poo poo? Like, anthrax or somethin'? Should we be running? gently caress!"

Panic mode, engage!

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"poo poo," Michael exclaims as he pops his head over the counter and sees the cracked, bloodied glass, and Chad laying on the ground. "I need to make sure he's okay," Michael says hurrying toward the door. "And calm down," he says to Scott as he walks."The green poo poo is probably just dust, some trick of the light making it that color. Now help me keep his head stable while I make sure he didn't break his neck or anything."

Michael is going for the door, he'll want to check Chad's vitals and make sure that he doesn't appear to have any sort of obvious spinal injury, if he determines he's safe to move, he'll try to get him inside.

Relevant skills:
First Aid - 15
Physician - 14

foxxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 9, 2015

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Calm down, drat it," Jonas snaps at Scott. "You're no use to anyone - especially not yourself - if you're panicking. Besides, anthrax is usually white."

He then continues, his voice thoughtful, "That was a pretty big boom for us to have felt it up here. Probably deliberate - so yeah; probably terrorist. But if there's one thing terrorists want, it's our fear. Are you really going to give them what they want? You help the doctor; I'm going to go see if I can see where the explosion came from." With that, Jonas heads towards the balcony. He stays out of the doctor's way as best he can, but tries to find somewhere where he can get a really good look at where the explosion is mostly likely to have come from.

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 9, 2015

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

"Holy loving poo poo," Dave shouts into the sudden chaos, staring at the starred window and the body in front of it. "You sure that wasn't just illegal fireworks? I mean, people bring in all sorts of illegal poo poo, the louder the better..." It only takes him a moment to rush out to the balcony behind Jonas, 911 already dialed on his cellphone as he takes in the view.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

Michael heads outside followed by the others. He goes to check on Chad, while Jonas and Dave go to the edge of the balcony to see what has happened. The first thing they notice is that everything is covered in a fine green dust. Some of which still appears to be swirling around in winds below the balcony. The three men notice that none of the green dust is kicked up in the air around them. Looking down, it appears that more of the dust has accumulated at ground level. Jonas and Dave see debris strewn about the ground. Also on the ground are the bodies of people who were outside at the time of the explosion. The two men also hear the sound of cars crashing. Due to the buildings in the area, Jonas can't see where the explosion took place.

Michael begins to check on Chad. Micheal finds that he has a pulse and is still breathing. Chad definitely had a concussion, worse than that is the scalp wound. His forehead got cut up pretty bad. At the moment Michael can't tell how serious the head wound is and it appears that Chad is unconscious. Also of some concern is that Chad is covered in the green dust. Michael has no idea what the green dust is or what effect it might have on Chad. Worried about leaving him on the balcony Michael begins to drag Chad back in doors.

Lights everywhere go out. Street lights, building lights, the lights inside the penthouse. Dave looks down at his phone and he sees that it too has gone dark.

The people at street level aren't moving. At the moment no one can tell if they're unconscious or dead.

It seems that even after the concussive blast and the green dust hit Chad, he remains alive for the moment. Chad is unconscious, but he still has a pulse and is breathing. Right now Michael can't determine just how bad Chad's head wound is.

Also all the lights have just went out (along with all power). Cell phones are dead. It appears that the area has been hit by an ElectroMagnetic Pulse. Anything with electronic components is dead unless it was shielded.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

"The gently caress man? My phone's dead. And this dust is everywhere... what is this poo poo? Probably toxic and carcinogenic..." Dave looks around to all the others, and then to the chaos on the streets below. "Don't think the cops are going to make it to us anytime soon. Alright, emergency preparedness time. Who wants to help me carry this dude to the ground floor? I think can firemans carry him, unless we can make some kind of a stretcher..."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

"Yo, gently caress you soldier-man. I don't know about you, but when green poo poo is floatin' down from the loving sky, there's explosions, and the fuckin' power is out, not being fuckin' chill is a pretty fuckin' normal response! And if this ain't anthrax, the gently caress is it? And what you lookin' at down there anyways?"

Scott grabs a bottle and takes a long pull, before lights go off in his head. Was any of this pile of booze strong enough to make molotovs, or at least something to give off some light? Plus there was food here right? Terrorist poo poo goes down, and he's in a place full of booze and food, way the gently caress up in a high rise.

"Yo, you dudes think any of this booze is strong enough to be flammable? I mean, throw a wick in and' we got light, right? And we got food up here too. We could just hold tight until this poo poo blows over."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Anyone here smoke?" Jonas asks. "I mean, we're not lighting too many alcohol fuelled torches if nobody has a light - and given there won't be any light from outside getting to the stairs, we should definitely be getting that sorted before leaving the penthouse."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Someone grab his legs," Michael says as he puts his arms under Chad's armpits and starts dragging him inside. Once out of the dust, Michael lays Chad on his back. "Someone find me a towel, or some sheets or something," Michael says as he grabs the pitcher of water, a bottle of vodka, and some napkins off the food table and returns to his patient, rinsing and cleaning the wound, and keeping pressure up while waiting for a bandage, all the while talking to Chad and trying to rouse him from his sleep. "Let me determine how bad this is before we haul Chad down five flights of stairs on someone's shoulders."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Penthouse

Michael and Tens fumble around the buffet table looking for various items. Michael manages to find a pitcher of water, some napkins, and what he thinks is a bottle of vodka. Tens searches the table and he thinks he finds a bottle of high proof rum. Neither man is entirely sure what kind of bottles they currently have and until they have some light to see by, they can only hope that they can find the right kind of bottle by touch.

Fortunately Michael can begin first aid on Chad in the dark. He had performed first aid on so many people that he now could do it in the dark. Before he begins using the vodka to clean Chad's wounds, he takes a sniff of the bottle he grabbed. No smell, so he was pretty sure it was vodka. He begins to clean the wound, but the lack of light prevents him from knowing the severity of the injury.

After Dave confirms that nothing hit his bike and its only covered in green dust, he goes back into the penthouse.

To make things slightly less dire, flashlights (if anyone has one or if anyone could find one) will still function.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

"Yeah, I got a light, gimme a sec."

A few seconds of rummaging through pockets and Scott pulls out his lighter, flicking it to get some sustained light. Scott starts hunting around for everything else needed to make a lovely molotov.

Rummaging around to get some good strong booze that'll burn(like maybe the booze I found), some cloth(maybe a napkin?), and then whipping up a alcohol based molotov as a torch. I'll light it and go wherever the light is requested first

Edit: if possible, I'll make more than one

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 12, 2015

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Seeing Scott with his makeshift torch, Michael calls out, "Hey, get over here with that." Michael finishes field dressing the wound with what's on hand. "Okay, power's down, no elevators, so I guess we're carrying Chad down to the street level. My Hospital is about a mile from here, and I highly suspect they're going to need my help anyway, plus their generator should be working," Michael says as he stands, sighing. He glances over toward the presentation equipment set up in the room, his curiosity once again being piqued, he's curious about anything that might indicate why they were gathered, but he figures there will be time enough for that once Chad's awake and patched up.

"You still up to carry him downstairs? You look like you can handle it better than I can, and even if we rig up a stretcher, I don't like our chances of getting it down the stairs."

The Hospital in question is Mercy. I'm not sure exactly where in the South Loop we're at, but looking at Google Maps, "about a mile" seems like a reasonable estimate.

Michael will help Dave, or whomever, load Chad up on their shoulders.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

"Right, firemans carry then." Treating the body like it was just another weight to be deadlifted, Dave lifts the unconscious man into the air and over his shoulder, staggering a bit at the awkward weight. "If one of you could get the doors... "

Carrying Chad down the stairs, using the makeshift torch as light. Going to be a slow 5 flights, but Dave is going to be careful as he goes down. Falling would likely be worse for Chad's health than the bleeding head injury.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Then I suppose we'd best be going," Jonas says before picking up a sandwich from the counter and taking a bite out of it. No sense letting it go to waste... "I'll get the doors."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

twentieth floor

With the light provided by two improvised lamps, the group manages to find their way out of the penthouse. They move along the completely dark hallway to the emergency stairs. The lighted bottles are the only source of light. The stair well is completely dark, which makes the walk down the twenty flights of stairs a difficult as well as strenuous endeavor. The hike down the stairs begins to take a toll on Dave and he feels a little worn out from the effort. And while Tens wasn't carrying anyone down the stairs, he still feels a little tired from the exercise. On the way down the stairs, Michael and Jonas both, at different times, lose their footing and trip. They get a little hurt, but no major damage done by their falls.

After an unknown period of time, the group finds themselves at the bottom of the stair well. They saw no one on the walk down. The ground floor out to the lobby is currently shut.

On the hike down the stairs, everyone a couple DX checks for traversing the stairs in the dark and one HT check. Dave and Tens missed their HT check and they lose 1 FP. Everyone else made their checks. Michael and Jonas tripped. They only take 1 point of damage each.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

By the time that many, many, many flights of stairs are behind them, Tens was puffing a little. Not quite out of breath, but enough to have a bit of a sweat going on. Being out of breath did not seem like a great idea however. Not with that green crap that had been in the air outside.

"So, ya'll actually got a fuckin' plan, or we just gonna walk into the mysterious green poo poo like it's nothing? Cause if so, I ain't fuckin' goin' outside first. loving chemical warfare poo poo out there man. Also, gently caress stairs, let's get the gently caress outta this goddamned stairwell." Scott opens the door, carefully, hoping none of that nasty poo poo had gotten inside yet.

opening the door and holding a molotov flashlight with the other hand

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael swears under his breath as he trips on the stairs and hits his wist hard against the wall. Just a minor sprain, he thinks to himself. He continues hurrying down the stairs, doing what little he can to help Dave with the patient.

As they reach the bottom of the stairwell, Michael speaks up again. "Keep your ears open folks, we'll probably see some rioting before the night is over, and if anyone sees a landline that might be working, I really need to make a phone call."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

Jonas joins in the swearing not long after, as he places a foot wrong and twists his ankle; barely grabbing hold of the rail to avoid going tumbling down the stairs. He keeps moving, but at first there's a noticeable wince with every other step.

As they reach the bottom of the stairs, Jonas moves to the doors to open them for Dave and Michael.

"Anybody else armed?" he asks in response to Michael's comments about rioting. He doesn't plan on shooting anybody, but most troublemakers tend to back away at the sight of a firearm...

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lobby

When the doorway to the lobby opened, the group stood ready for trouble. None was to be had. From where they stood in the doorway, they couldn't see any danger. Or anyone at all. Across from the stairs door stood a solid wall with no window. Seeing no danger, they left the stair well and moved towards the lobby.

When they walked up into the front lobby, they first notice that nothing appears to be affected inside the lobby. Outside the lobby, everything had been coated in green. Also outside the lobby glass wall stood at least six people coated in green dust. They appeared to be tapping on the glass as though they wanted to get in. Looking over at the door, the front door has been barred. A long metal pole of some sort appears to have been shoved through the handles of the doors preventing the doors from opening.

"Someone there?" A weak voice asks from inside the lobby. Moving further in the lobby, the source of the voice is found. Its Fred, the security guard. He's lying on the ground on his back. Blood covers the front of his uniform. The man's throat has been shredded revealing a dark red of muscles and blood. Something appears to have gouged the man's throat.

"Don't go outside." He whispers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

"gently caress me man, are you alright? Somebody help him!" Moving carefully, Dave lays the unconsious form of Chad on the security desk and starts pulling his shirt off, preparing to use it to try and staunch the security guards bleeding.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"poo poo, give me some light and space," Michael says as he steps in and starts looking at Fred's neck.

"Calm down, Fred, let me get a look at this, what happened?" MIchael asks as he examines the man's neck.

First Aid - 15, Physician - 14

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Scott follows Michael over to the downed security guard. This was now some seriously hosed up poo poo. Dude's loving throat was torn out, motherfuckers outside were tapping on the door, which someone(the rent-a-cop?) had barred, and everything outside was coated with green poo poo.

"Okay, someone wake slappy up, I want to know what the gently caress is going on!"

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

Jonas's eyes widen as they reach the room. "Holy poo poo..."

As Scott and Michael head over to the guard, he draws his pistol, chambers a round, disengages the safety and watches the door for any sign that it might be about to weaken. "Please tell me I'm not the only person here with a gun..."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

Scott looks at Jonas, and then at the glass doors, before drawing his pistol.

"You ain't the only one with a gat, no. But someone's gonna need to take this torch if you want it to be loaded."

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Guns? Seriously? We don't know those people outside are a threat yet, and the last thing I need right now is a GSW."

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Jonas Webb

"Something did that to Fred. If those people outside aren't a threat, I won't shoot them. But there's a reason he barricaded the door..."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lobby

Fred attempts to speak, but only spits out a little blood. He realizes that he can't speak, so instead he points to the door and then to his throat.

Michael checks the man's throat. Fred's throat is a bloody mess. It appears as if a large section of his throat was ripped out via hands and teeth. The injury appears to be caused by multiple attacks and the attacks managed to go through skin, muscle and into the bone on the front of the man's neck. The injuries appear to have even penetrated his trachea. He seems capable of breathing still, but not talking. Michael begins treatment of the wound, but it might be more than he is capable of treating.

The others look out at the crowd (did more green covered people show up?). The group of people want to get in and are pounding on the windows. For the most part the windows are holding. There doesn't seem to be any immediate danger of the windows collapsing. Also the people outside aren't attempting to open the doors to get inside. Rather they don't appear to recognize the mechanics of opening up the door. Casting some light on the people right at the door, it appears they have some blood around their mouths and hands. It is as if they attacked someone. The other green dusted people show no signs of blood on them.

Fred only has minutes to live, unless someone has or finds a first aid kit.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2016

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

Michael is wholly focused on Frank's wound, though he knows it's dire. "Looks like some kind of loving animal tore his throat out, right down to the bone, someone check the desk, or an office, this man desperately needs bandages," Michael says, paying no attention to the people outside the doors. He will not stop treating his patient while there is any chance of his survival.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

Having been standing next to Frank with his shirt in his hands for the entire time the wound had been looked at, Dave cleared his throat as he handed it down to the medic. "So, what, we have some kind of zombie situation going on or something? Or weird terrorist bio-attack?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Scott 'Tens' Benson

lovely old horror movies come to mind for Scott when Dave mentions zombies. The one old zombie movie, he saw when he was a kid. poo poo. This was a joke right?

"You gotta be loving kidding me. Any of ya'll ever seen Night of the Living Dead? Asteroid or something comes down from space, and the dead start risin' and poo poo, folks start loving eatin' each other? Is that poo poo actually loving happening?"

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Zombies aren't real, some kind of wild animal clearly did this, now who is looking for a loving First Aid Kit? I need bandages NOW!" Michael says, his voice getting louder and more commanding as he speaks. It's clear that he is accustomed to people keeping him in supplies when he's trying to save a man's life.

Doc, I'm assuming your message refers to Fred, not Chad, as having only 5 minutes to live, as that was the injury I was examining, and a fireman's carry for a mile (as was the plan with Chad) was going to take more than 5 minutes anyway

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

"Just use the drat shirt while I try and find something better! gently caress man, what is wrong with you!" Dave retorts, dropping the shirt next to Fred before making his way back to the front desk.

Dave is going to ransack the front desk to see if there is a first aid kit inside, or an emergency map that marks where a first aid kit (and other exits) should be.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Lobby

Michael begins to use Dave's shirt to clean the wound out. Meanwhile Michael goes behind the desk to look for a first aid kit. He finds one of substantial size. Probably with enough medical equipment to help Fred out. While rummaging through the desk, he sees a map for the lobby floor of the building. Apparently there's a back entrance to the building where there's a loading dock. As Dave brings the medical kit out to Michael, the group hears something from behind the desk.

Emergency Broadcast Alert.

That is followed by,

"We interrupt this program. This is an emergency. The counties of Cook, DuPage, Will County have been the site of a meteor strike. Citizens are instructed to leave the affected area in an orderly manner. The meteor strike affected an Electromagnetic Pulse affecting the electrical grid and other electrical systems in a fifteen mile radius. Other effects of the meteor strike are unknown at this time. Please stay tuned for more information."

It seems that Fred's radio survived the emp and has a portable power source.

Outside the people continue to pound on the window, wanting to get in.

Foxxtrot, yeah Fred is the security guard and he's near death. Chad is the business man who is unconscious, but not in danger of dying.

Michael now has a crash kit to work on Chad. And while Michael is seeing to Fred, what is everyone else doing?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave Rheinman

After dropping the crash kit off with Michael, Dave looks at the green-tinged outside and shakes his head in disbelief. "A meteor? A loving meteor hit in downtown Chicago on New Years Eve? poo poo man, what are the chances of that? I thought they had people whose job was predicting when a big chunk of rock was going to drop on our heads, and where it would land? And... oh gently caress. This doesn't feel real. If the blast hit here, and knocked Chad flying, and Chad was looking out a balcony facing... poo poo, what direction was it facing. Guys, do you know what direction the street is running? Anyone?"

Dave lunges for the front desk again, this time scrambling to find paper and something to draw with.

Dave is going to sketch out the block and a general map of the area, trying to figure out what direction the impact was in based on how Chad went flying. He's now worried that his girlfriend Lisa might have been somewhere near the impact zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness
Michael Riggins

"Fantastic," Michael says as Dave hands over the crash kit, pushing aside the other comments while he works. "You're not going to die on me tonight," he mutters as he works.

My Attentive perk should keep me focused until Frank is either dead or stable. But after that, Michael has some freaking the gently caress out to do.

• Locked thread