Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I don't like the respawning enemies though. Well I guess I do because it makes you want to finish the level faster so you don't run out of ammo on respawning enemies, but the levels are huge and don't make a lot of sense to navigate all the time.

ive never beaten level 8 (the final level) because i legit got loving lost as a kid and could never make it to the end and had no idea where the game wanted me to go.

if you took a different path youd fight a cyborg t-rex and then skip straight to the final boss but god knows how that worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

thats part 2...which is way better BTW and i hope they port that. i still dont know how the n64 ran that game
it's gonna get ported, but they haven't really started yet because, you know, entirely different engine to sort out.

Wormskull posted:

Oh and going by the console in this it looks like it's on Unreal engine.
it's an original engine developed by one of the night dive dudes called KEX that has bits of the 18 year old turok code (mostly enemy behavior) thrown in for good measure

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The program is called Turok EX so I'm wondering if it's like Doom 64 EX or w/e.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wormskull posted:

The program is called Turok EX so I'm wondering if it's like Doom 64 EX or w/e.
yeah it's by the same guy as doom64 ex and powerslave ex (which needs to sort out it's legal poo poo and get re-released already, it's great)

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Kins posted:

yeah it's by the same guy as doom64 ex and powerslave ex (which needs to sort out it's legal poo poo and get re-released already, it's great)

Kewl.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you know a lot of cool stuff not being ironic

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
In 7th grade a kid got this game new and brought it over to my house. We played it for a bit and saw it sucked rear end. He told me to just keep it and didnt even take it home.

Turok 2 was fun though the multiplayer you could headshot people with the bow and arrow or crossbow or something and it was a 1 hit kill, this was a new thing at the time

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kins is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

south park racing game was done in a different engine by a different developer (tantalus in australia, they're doing twilight princess hd nowadays).

they did not have a good time developing it

Lol drat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only n64 shooting game I had other than goldeneye, of course, was jet force Gemini which was a nightmare to control if I'm remembering right

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wormskull posted:

It moves fast and the soundtrack is deece, and the world is designed all deranged and there's supernatural poo poo popping off left and right that don't make any drat sense but it's kind of awesome.

The Longhunter boss fight threw me for a loop. The game itself isn't overly difficult but I hate the platforming sections, the 6th and 7th levels are particularly bad for this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah, its nice to have some adults on this forum for a change.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
ill be waiting for turok 2 then its on

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One of my friends in high school got Turok Rage Wars, it was like a Turok version of Q3A or Unreal Tournament. It was kinda cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

turok 2 has a multiplayer mode that was standard shooter stuff of the era, run around cool maps picking up guns and stuff

one of the characters you could choose was a raptor that moved super fast and couldn't use weapons but would claw the poo poo out of people. it wasnt some special game type, or powerup, just gently caress it. be a raptor

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Turok gives me nostalgia feels. Turok 2 is mega badass

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I...am TUROK!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I...am TUROK!

Pleased to meet you, Turdok.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Someone said Doom 64. Doom 64 was cool as hell and has been ported to Skulltag or Zandronum or whatever it's called now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

turok 2 has a multiplayer mode that was standard shooter stuff of the era, run around cool maps picking up guns and stuff

one of the characters you could choose was a raptor that moved super fast and couldn't use weapons but would claw the poo poo out of people. it wasnt some special game type, or powerup, just gently caress it. be a raptor

Playing as a xenomorph on AvP kicked rear end. Crawling on the ceiling and dropping to kill people ftw

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Pleased to meet you, Turdok.

Grow up, dude.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sorry..

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

;lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
GBS got me good.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
give me rage wars or evolution

rage wars legit owned and would be good as an online game, evolution is one of my favorite buggy piece of poo poo games because everything imaginable is broken

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Buggy pieces of poo poo are sometimes fantastic.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Turok falling off cliffs like the clusmy oaf that he is will forever be ingrained into my memory. 90s game developers were sadistic jerks. Plaforming in FPS games sucks rear end, especially when the controller is poo poo like the N64's.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 22, 2015

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think you take fall damage in this which is kind of epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think platforming in Quake 3 is epic, and the games inMomentum and Lovely Planet, are some fairly good rear end FPS platformers, IMO.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

the controller is poo poo like the N64's.
What the gently caress?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

You should be able to see the boss running around during the jeep battle if you have the fog off.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

What the gently caress?

Ok, what I mean is, it's poo poo for platforming in an FPS. Oddly enough the platforming in this remastered isn't such a huge pain in the rear end anymore. The N64 controller was fine except for having to make those precision jumps, it felt clunky.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

He isn't in the jeep?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

Ok, what I mean is, it's poo poo for platforming in an FPS. Oddly enough the platforming in this remastered isn't such a huge pain in the rear end anymore. The N64 controller was fine except for having to make those precision jumps, it felt clunky.

Having strafe jumps as a actual mechanic was dumb but you can see the roots of metroid primes better FPS platforming in it.

It's weird to think that this came out at the same time as the build engine games.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 22, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
other 90s mud fps, boats, planes, roller coasters. nothing gives me wretching motion sickness other than turok.

even at 1080p without the fog still makes me want to puke

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flannelette posted:

He isn't in the jeep?

No he's invincible and runs around the area not interacting with you until the Hummers get destroyed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

What the gently caress?

It's not a good controller for games that probably need two joysticks

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Some fun stuff to try at some point:

Try shooting at corpses with explosives when you get them.
Try big head mode (and do the above)
Try Small bodies or whatever it is that makes everyone small mode (and ditto)
Try small bodies AND big heads (kaboom)

The cheats are awesome and are half of The Turok Experience. They also make cutscenes like the final boss entrance/win/loss even better.

This game and Goldeneye were the biggest reasons to own N64 outside the usual Mario and Zelda games. There were some other unsung gems like Hybrid Heaven and Goemon, but they were more of an exception than a rule.

I know Konami is pretty much dead atm but they should remake Hybrid Heaven and release it on PC. poo poo owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Laputanmachine posted:

I know Konami is pretty much dead atm but they should remake Hybrid Heaven and release it on PC. poo poo owned.

Have you played it recently or just remembering it from long ago? It did not age well.

• Locked thread