Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

When Phyllis was on the phone at the end she said something to the effect of "their perception of time makes them unpredictable" right? Or did I hallucinate that?

Yeah that's what she said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was the episode that made me go from thinking this was a good show to a must watch. Also having read some interviews with the people behind the show they always stress that the visitors have never been confirmed to be aliens, which is a weird thing to stress unless they're just trying to throw people off.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

X-O posted:

That was the episode that made me go from thinking this was a good show to a must watch. Also having read some interviews with the people behind the show they always stress that the visitors have never been confirmed to be aliens, which is a weird thing to stress unless they're just trying to throw people off.

I'm going through my list of sci fi tropes, and it's got to be either aliens, or people from the future sent back to prevent ~AN EVENT~. They perceive time differently.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that ending.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tortolia posted:

Holy poo poo that ending.

Yeah it's great because we're given just enough time and information to think of Phyllis as a genuine threat with enough depth of character to be a compelling antagonist, then they pull the rug out from under the viewer and kill her off. Her replacement will probably be much more ruthless and that's kinda scary

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

So was Phyllis part of an advance deep cover team placed well before the invasion? What are we thinking here

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I figure her husband had already had the stroke prior to the occupation and she volunteered to head up homeland security in the bloc in exchange for allowing him to live.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Yeah it's great because we're given just enough time and information to think of Phyllis as a genuine threat with enough depth of character to be a compelling antagonist, then they pull the rug out from under the viewer and kill her off. Her replacement will probably be much more ruthless and that's kinda scary

It's funny because you say you came to think of her as a genuine threat and I had the complete opposite reaction watching this episode. This episode had me convinced she was much more on the side of Will than I had thought previously. I also completely buy her "something is fishy with the resistance and they're not what they seem" pitch she gave to Katie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wow that ending caught me completely by surprise.

Really liking this series so far but wish we got some indication of what the 'hosts' want or their motive for taking control.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Wow that ending caught me completely by surprise.

Really liking this series so far but wish we got some indication of what the 'hosts' want or their motive for taking control.

I actually like that they don't waste this card early on. I mean it's very tempting for a new show to use it as early as possible but then the mystery is already lost and you have to come up with more and more new stuff surrounding the aliens. With them just being in the background it's a lot easier to pace the show properly. If they handle it right every little reveal about the aliens will have a much bigger impact and hopefully won't force them to just make poo poo up as they go along because they've run out of stuff too soon (see Falling Skies as bad example).

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

X-O posted:

It's funny because you say you came to think of her as a genuine threat and I had the complete opposite reaction watching this episode. This episode had me convinced she was much more on the side of Will than I had thought previously. I also completely buy her "something is fishy with the resistance and they're not what they seem" pitch she gave to Katie.

I absolutely had this same reaction. I was looking forward to Katie being forced to be a double agent.

Poor Phyllis!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see that there's a whole system of higher ups who still don't see the visitors.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"I'm Perd Hapley, and the word from Perd is that I am hearing that I will soon be reporting on a hanging right here in LA!"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Now I really know Proxy Snyder is evil because he thinks Felix Solis is a bad actor :argh:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I thought this show was going to suck but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to really like it so far. I wanted to like it because I am openly rooting for Josh Holloway's career (I know 3 people that have met him and they all said he was genuinely cool and nice).

I like that they are not doing the classic heroic resistance trope fighting visible aliens. I'm not saying nobody has ever done alien occupation this way before but Colony is doing it very well so far. I like that they are making the morality of the resistance and the collaborators as ambiguous. It's a very refreshing and realistic twist to have scumbags and heroes on both teams, with mostly everyone else caught in the lovely middle.

As an Iraq veteran I'm enjoying the parallels, subtle and overt, between the situation in Colony and the events in Iraq.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Astroman posted:

"I'm Perd Hapley, and the word from Perd is that I am hearing that I will soon be reporting on a hanging right here in LA!"

I mean I am glad the guy has work but that completely cut any tension the scene may have had

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Whole lotta Roland Friesler/Volksgerichtshof imagery in that courtroom scene.

We get it, writers. The collaboration government=Nazi analogue.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Watching this show within a short time of having watched Man In The High Castle is also very trippy.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I like that they are not doing the classic heroic resistance trope fighting visible aliens. I'm not saying nobody has ever done alien occupation this way before but Colony is doing it very well so far. I like that they are making the morality of the resistance and the collaborators as ambiguous. It's a very refreshing and realistic twist to have scumbags and heroes on both teams, with mostly everyone else caught in the lovely middle.

Yeah, this has been my favorite part so far. They've made the collaborators real people with real reasons for doing what they are doing, while showing the nasty and dirty side of the "freedom fighters" by showing their level of violence and sometimes indiscriminate destruction. This show is very neat and I can't wait for the next episode.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The Bowmans and all their neighbours are going to feel really foolish when they find out that no one in the Transitional Authority has actually directly spoken to any "hosts" and The Wall turns out to be a viral marketing campaign for a new JJ Abrams movie starring John "Geronimo" Cena.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah, this has been my favorite part so far. They've made the collaborators real people with real reasons for doing what they are doing, while showing the nasty and dirty side of the "freedom fighters" by showing their level of violence and sometimes indiscriminate destruction. This show is very neat and I can't wait for the next episode.

What I really like about this is how most of the collaborators are reasonable people with reasonable motivations but Snyder is a complete tool with the world's most punchable mug. It speaks volumes about what the occupiers actually want from their puppet government compared to what actually gets the job done with the least amount of casualties.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What makes Snyder a great character is how willing he is to appease 'The Hosts' while constantly loving up, like claiming to have caught Geronimo. Kind of like Col. Klink in Hogan's Heroes. "No one has ever escaped from the GZ!"
CUT TO: kids calmly walking around outside the wall, collecting coffee and having a great time.

LinksAuge posted:

I actually like that they don't waste this card early on. I mean it's very tempting for a new show to use it as early as possible but then the mystery is already lost and you have to come up with more and more new stuff surrounding the aliens. With them just being in the background it's a lot easier to pace the show properly. If they handle it right every little reveal about the aliens will have a much bigger impact and hopefully won't force them to just make poo poo up as they go along because they've run out of stuff too soon (see Falling Skies as bad example).
Who said anything about aliens?

I agree it’s more interesting that ‘the hosts’ are not seen by us or the people of Colony. Might not be aliens. Could be something along the lines of Colussus: the Forbin Project or even Terminator, in that an AI has gone rogue and decided the best plan for humanity is to take complete control and subjugate the population before they wipe themselves out.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2016

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Who said anything about aliens?

I agree it’s more interesting that ‘the hosts’ are not seen by us or the people of Colony. Might not be aliens. Could be something along the lines of Colussus: the Forbin Project or even Terminator, in that an AI has gone rogue and decided the best plan for humanity is to take complete control and subjugate the population before they wipe themselves out.

It's made pretty clear an entity/entities arrived to earth from space and conquered the planet, so it's certainly "aliens". Whether or not they are an AI, organic or whatever else doesn't really change that but it's really not ambiguous in that regard. ;)
The big unanswered question is what motivation they have for a) conquering earth, b) keeping human colonies and c) leaving humans in charge of the occupation. The whole "factory" thing is obviously a huge hint to the answer to all of this and there also seems to be going something on in earth's orbit because that whole telescope subplot has certainly a reason for existing.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 14, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This show got amazing fast. Looking forward to this more than Lucifer.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm hoping that they'll get that telescope up and running before the finale (or the episode leading into it for a sufficiently huge cliffhanger) but there's no way that's going to happen is it? That said I'm enjoying the show, they really did go hard on the Nazi imagery during the trial stuff but it at least exposed just how desperate Snyder is.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

LinkesAuge posted:

It's made pretty clear an entity/entities arrived to earth from space and conquered the planet, so it's certainly "aliens". Whether or not they are an AI, organic or whatever else doesn't really change that but it's really not ambiguous in that regard. ;)

Really? Because we've heard basically bugger all. We know they're operating in orbit, but that's about it. I mean, that is probably the case, but they've been irritatingly unspecific on setting details that all the characters presumably know.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

LinkesAuge posted:

It's made pretty clear an entity/entities arrived to earth from space and conquered the planet, so it's certainly "aliens".

Could be people from the future. Hell, could be people from the past. Really the only thing we've seen them take an interest in collecting is humans, and quite honestly there aren't a lot of reasons to do that. Some silicon based life-form from Alpha-Gofuckme is unlikely to need a single drat thing from our biology.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The glimpses of screen prints looked really cool. They should've put them up in places like they did for the original V.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I thought this show was going to suck but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to really like it so far. I wanted to like it because I am openly rooting for Josh Holloway's career (I know 3 people that have met him and they all said he was genuinely cool and nice).

As an Iraq veteran I'm enjoying the parallels, subtle and overt, between the situation in Colony and the events in Iraq.
I pretty much agree with this entire post. Especially for Holloway who's gotten some lovely roles after Lost cause he's been made into leading man status so he couldn't really even do character roles, so glad he's gotten something good here.

Also even with the parallels to American occupation in Iraq there are definitely a lot of visual homages to German-occupied Paris, Nazi uniforms and iconography notwithstanding.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just started watching this show and it rocks. I'm really liking how the main character is basically forced to become a Quisling but is trying to escape the situation.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I really can't believe more people aren't watching this. The fact that outside the wall is totally empty and the wall itself is incredibly thick making tons of noise is really interesting. Also really curious to see what the factory really is.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The pilot didn't do much for me but a lot of you guys like the same poo poo I do so I'm gonna give it a shot.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

The pilot didn't do much for me but a lot of you guys like the same poo poo I do so I'm gonna give it a shot.

Similar to the Expanse it takes a few episodes for world building and start increasing the acceleration of the plot.

Watch a few more episodes, it's worth it

etalian fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 17, 2016

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

I felt the same and felt it even stronger after the 2nd episode. Then I didn't have anything else to watch, saw the praise in here and watched 3 and 4 and I was sold enough to keep going.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This show makes the perfect companion to the latest Xcom game.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

etalian posted:

Similar to the Expanse it takes a few episodes for world building and start increasing the acceleration of the plot.

Watch a few more episodes, it's worth it

I always give a show 3 episodes before I decide if I am going to continue watching it for that reason.

etalian posted:

This show makes the perfect companion to the latest Xcom game.

It's got a Half Life 2 vibe for me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Colony got renewed for another season

https://deadline.com/2016/02/colony-renewed-season-2-usa-1201696580/

quote:

The project, from Legendary Television and Universal Cable Prods. stars Josh Holloway and Sarah Wayne Callies and centers on one family’s struggle to survive and bring liberty back to the people of an occupied Los Angeles.

“Carlton and Ryan have successfully delivered a story that tests the strengths and weaknesses of a society in duress, and the bonds of a family divided,” said Chris McCumber, President of USA Network. “Colony’s performance across all platforms has been impressive, and we can’t wait to see where the story takes us.”

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Sweet. It really seems they have a good plan behind all of this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's sort of BSG ish in that even though it has lots of science fiction elements the whole setting is more relatable to the audience and also focus on things like relationships instead of amazing technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

It's got a Half Life 2 vibe for me.

Yeah, this show seems very obviously inspired by HL2 to me.

• Locked thread