Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

by "big storm" of course you refer to Hurricane Katrina

and yeah i remember the running blog someone was doing as he tried to keep the generators running at that data center, and reporting on what he was seeing on the streets below

didnt the forums go down again later also due to a storm in the 2007-2009 time frame? i joined the forums right before katrina so i dont think thats what im remembering

edit: gustav?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No that other hurricane that wrecked havok on the SA servers, hurricane radium

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

pram posted:

epic lulz :

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766598

tldr lowtax a spineless bitch who got strung along by an entry level network janitor for half a decade +

lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

ahmeni posted:

then read the thread ya dingus

i did but this is some kind of free software thing where instead of buying good software you pay someone to make your own badly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

George posted:

i dont understand why lowtax doesn't jst buy an uypgrade for the forums software

Lowtax posted:

70% of the software running the forums is in house code, so it always amazes me when people who have no idea how the forums work offer their technical advice of "just upgrade the software, idiot." I admit I'm a loving moron, but I'm not such a loving moron that if it was as simple as upgrading to the latest version of vB, I wouldn't do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lowtax posted:

I'm a loving moron

probably could have just closed the thread there, tbh

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

buy vBulletin for $250, pay someone in india/the philippines a few grand to hack up a lovely HTML scraper to scrape the live forums and archives and inject them into some sane db schema

:smug::fh:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
My bad, are we seriousposting in this thread?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if radium made like, even 40k .. that means like $240k of salary over 6 years?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
put the forums code on github

I am 15% serious

pram
Jun 10, 2001

appeal to retarded authority. interesting gambit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

appeal to retarded authority. interesting gambit
technically, an appeal to loving moronic authority

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

mishaq posted:

buy vBulletin for $250, pay someone in india/the philippines a few grand to hack up a lovely HTML scraper to scrape the live forums and archives and inject them into some sane db schema

:smug::fh:
what's the $250 vB licence for if you're going with a sane db schema

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jony ive aces posted:

what's the $250 vB licence for if you're going with a sane db schema

my understanding is radium did his own schema with "bitfields" to save space or something horrendously retarded

i presume whatever vBulletin 5 uses is better than that

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

if radium made like, even 40k .. that means like $240k of salary over 6 years?

health plan made DocEvil his PCP though. which nearly explains the amphetamine benders actually.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cucked im gay cucking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pram droppin' some truth bombs here

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
well we can always look forward to the next doom house when the forums go down

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pram posted:

cucked im gay cucking
it just needs a bit of punctuation

having been made complicit in my wife's infidelity and subordinate to her paramour [comma] i realize now my attraction toward other men [comma] sexually subordinating them in like manner

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hed posted:

health plan made DocEvil his PCP though. which nearly explains the amphetamine benders actually.

obamacare won't pay for all those deviled eggs

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

pram droppin' some truth bombs here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

epic lulz :

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766598

tldr lowtax a spineless bitch who got strung along by an entry level network janitor for half a decade +

lol did u read gbs :pram:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

code:
(9:28:58 AM) 19629905: so do you think the stuff you're working on will be done this month?
(10:57:20 AM) Radium: handwich

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
dang i would have expected lowtax to have an ICQ# under 8 digits

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tatsujin posted:

dang i would have expected lowtax to have an ICQ# under 8 digits

straight up n00b

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mishaq posted:

my understanding is radium did his own schema with "bitfields" to save space or something horrendously retarded

i presume whatever vBulletin 5 uses is better than that

back when chooch was working on on the forums he said the problem was that radium didn't use bitfields. so instead of easily testable bit flags for has_platinum, has_archives, is_an_admin, etc he'd made separate categories for each combination, so users with platinum, users with archives, and users with both platinum and archives were three totally separate groups and that it made all the related coding a huge mess

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sweevo posted:

back when chooch was working on on the forums he said the problem was that radium didn't use bitfields. so instead of easily testable bit flags for has_platinum, has_archives, is_an_admin, etc he'd made separate categories for each combination, so users with platinum, users with archives, and users with both platinum and archives were three totally separate groups and that it made all the related coding a huge mess

lol

can you just picture this schema?

makes what I have to deal with daily look sane.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
can anyone think of a time radium got something right?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
when he stopped posting

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vodkat posted:

didn't he start his internet career as a half-life modder?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sweevo posted:

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

didn't he start his internet career as a half-life modder?

they're waiting for you kenneth
in the gas chamberrrrr

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

vodkat posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?adminid=&actfilt=7&ban_month=&ban_year=#list

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Sweevo posted:

lomarf

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

mishaq posted:

the forums were hosted in a data center in louisiana and they went down during a big storm related power outage

why the gently caress would anyone build a data center in louisiana

why would anyone build a datacenter in SF? or any place prone to floods and earthquakes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lampey posted:

why would anyone build a datacenter in SF? or any place prone to floods and earthquakes

because there's enough concentrated technology business in the bay area that requires data center space

have your DR site somewhere less natural disaster prone

what the gently caress is in louisiana besides daiquiris and racism

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mishaq posted:

what the gently caress is in louisiana besides daiquiris and racism

swamps, gaters, and jambalaya

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
swamps and interstate 10, a poorly maintained elevated highway over swamps