Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Regarding APB: The show was originally conceived by David Slack, who used to write for Person of Interest. If you know how he operates (or even how PoI operates), you know that the last script he'd write is one about how awesome and cool the private sector is when they get involved in public needs.

So, you know, Fox quietly shitcanned him after they liked the premise more than the actual pilot and replaced him with Matt Nix -- who I love, but whose talents tilt more toward airy popcorn fun. I'm willing to see how it shakes out, but I'm not gonna suppose it goes anywhere good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Did FOX release any promotional cast photos to go with their series trailers? Almost all I can find are pictures of all the movies their shows are based on. :lol: My google-fu is failing me, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After watching the trailer I am really interested in Making History.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

muscles like this? posted:

After watching the trailer I am really interested in Making History.

I'm honestly surprised how funny the trailer for that and Zorn were. Usually trailers for comedy shows are dire.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

X-O posted:

7:30-8 PM — The OT / Bob’s Burgers

Stop.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the trailer for The Mick since I like Kaitlin Olsen but did no one realize that the title in a slur or am I missing a joke.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Gaunab posted:

I liked the trailer for The Mick since I like Kaitlin Olsen but did no one realize that the title in a slur or am I missing a joke.

They want runoff DVRs from people who love Historical Medicals.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can see APB being good if they address the problems that system would inevitably cause and it gets super dark and full of grey morality. Looking at the end of the trailer with all the app popups it seems like there are already flaws with it.

Also Andy from Weeds.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

sticklefifer posted:

I can see APB being good if they address the problems that system would inevitably cause and it gets super dark and full of grey morality. Looking at the end of the trailer with all the app popups it seems like there are already flaws with it.

Also Andy from Weeds.

I think those pop ups at the end were saying the whole city was downloading his app and trying to get his precinct's help, which is implying his police are so super awesome that now the whole city wants corporate cops. So yeah, this is looking pretty tone deaf.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Practical Demon posted:

I think those pop ups at the end were saying the whole city was downloading his app and trying to get his precinct's help, which is implying his police are so super awesome that now the whole city wants corporate cops. So yeah, this is looking pretty tone deaf.

Yeah, that was my reading. The app being too popular would be a good hook for a more realistic drama based on the same concept since a bunch of people who they can't respond to using it for emergencies would cause massive problems. I saw nothing in the trailer except high tech super cops which is absurdly tone deaf in the current environment.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It's utterly hilarious how tone deaf APB is considering Fox looks like it's actually trying by also having Shots Fired which might actually broach the subject with some seriousness and nuance.

I mean APB can be light and airy fun but it comes at a time when police are using excessive force, so to fantasize about and glorify them getting more cool tools to police-ify people with and running with a straight face is gonna be a bit tough to swallow.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Damon Wayans is supposed to be 50 years old in that Lethal Weapon trailer? The gently caress?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jadaris posted:

Damon Wayans is supposed to be 50 years old in that Lethal Weapon trailer? The gently caress?

Well, he's actually 55.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how he feels at getting billed now as "Damon Wayans Sr."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Don't forget that there is Damon Wayans, star of In Living Color and My Wife And Kids, and there is also Damon Wayans Jr., star of New Girl and Happy Endings, who looks and sounds exactly like his father a couple of decades ago.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Jadaris posted:

Yeah, why did he think he could play a character that young?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, that was my reading. The app being too popular would be a good hook for a more realistic drama based on the same concept since a bunch of people who they can't respond to using it for emergencies would cause massive problems. I saw nothing in the trailer except high tech super cops which is absurdly tone deaf in the current environment.

I also just realized, after thinking about it more than one second, how using an app as the main crime reporting tool would gently caress over the poor and anyone without a smart phone or data. Every element of this is so dumb it feels like it has to be satire.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Practical Demon posted:

I also just realized, after thinking about it more than one second, how using an app as the main crime reporting tool would gently caress over the poor and anyone without a smart phone or data. Every element of this is so dumb it feels like it has to be satire.

Perfect place to include a snarky comment about welfare queens on Obamaphones ruining their perfect Privatized Police system! It practically writes itself!

My "thinking about it for more than one second," thought was how much staff it would take to filter through all the junk posts, false claims, wackjobs, photoshops, student film projects, dick picks and duplicate reports this app will inevitable result in. Police already waste plenty of resources filtering through that poo poo just when they ask the public for help through old timey phone lines. Can you imagine how bad signal-to-noise would get with an easy-to-use cell phone app?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Practical Demon posted:

smartphones are actually extremely prevalent these days and it would be trivial to mandate a data exception for emergencies (like how all phones can access networks for 911 calls today).

there are many issues with the premise, but that isn't one of them.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Practical Demon posted:

I also just realized, after thinking about it more than one second, how using an app as the main crime reporting tool would gently caress over the poor and anyone without a smart phone or data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Is it a rare occurrence for someone to be an Executive Producer on one show and star in another one on a rival network like Keifer Sutherland is doing? How hard is it to get a network to sign off on that?

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 18, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Probably not that hard. Especially with it being Kiefer Sutherland.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Retail Slave posted:

Is it a rare occurrence for someone to be an Executive Producer on one show and star in another one on a rival network like Keifer Sutherland is doing? How hard is it to get a network to sign off on that?

I'm pretty sure he doesn't have anything to do with 24 Legacy, he just has the title (and paycheck) from his old contract.

Meg Guvyer
May 17, 2016
I'm glad Lucifer is staying, I've really enjoyed it.

I'll give Pitch and The Mick a try, just to see if they work out. Everything else is kind of "Meh" for me here.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Out of all of the time travel shows Making History looks like it'll be fun. Pretty slapstick obvious from the ham gag but it should be a bit of fun and probably on the cheap to make since it's just costumes. My wife and I are torn on Zorn. It'd normally be my bag but it looks awful and she hates that stuff but is really interested. (She also has a crush on Jason Sudeikis but drat it, it's just his voice ARGH)

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
The Mick looks like so much of a better Uncle Buck remake than the actual Uncle Buck remake.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Croatoan posted:

My wife and I are torn on Zorn.
Born of Zorn torn.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Athanatos posted:

The Mick looks like so much of a better Uncle Buck remake than the actual Uncle Buck remake.

There was an Uncle Buck remake?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Athanatos posted:

Speaking of that, has that aired?

I feel like it was a year ago I saw the upfront trailer for it. I haven't heard about it since.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sober posted:

Speaking of that, has that aired?

I feel like it was a year ago I saw the upfront trailer for it. I haven't heard about it since.

It debuts June 14.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

computer parts posted:

It debuts June 14.

Wow, I thought it quietly premiered and then was cancelled.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 19, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sober posted:

It's utterly hilarious how tone deaf APB is considering Fox looks like it's actually trying by also having Shots Fired which might actually broach the subject with some seriousness and nuance.

I don't know, saying they "don't want another Ferguson" spoken by a white guy about a white guy getting shot seemed pretty tone deaf to me, unless they're pulling a White Man's Burden-esque race reversal shtick. In any case I don't exactly trust Fox to handle race relations properly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched the Lethal Weapon trailer expecting to hate it and I... didn't? I may actually give it an episode or two and see how I like it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Postal Parcel posted:

And I can't believe Bones is finally ending...

I can't believe it's still on, I used to watch it pretty frequently but even I gave up on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I stopped watching Bones when they introduced the magic hacker bad guy. Who was able to hack into various systems using a computer made with vacuum tubes and was able to hack into the Jeffersonian's computers by somehow carving code into a bone so when they scanned the bone into their computer modeler it would somehow run the malicious code?

Then I read a couple of weeks ago that they killed off Sweets, which just seems dumb.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this? posted:

I stopped watching Bones when they introduced the magic hacker bad guy. Who was able to hack into various systems using a computer made with vacuum tubes and was able to hack into the Jeffersonian's computers by somehow carving code into a bone so when they scanned the bone into their computer modeler it would somehow run the malicious code?

Then I read a couple of weeks ago that they killed off Sweets, which just seems dumb.

And now Hodgins is in a wheelchair because of a dumb reason.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know, saying they "don't want another Ferguson" spoken by a white guy about a white guy getting shot seemed pretty tone deaf to me, unless they're pulling a White Man's Burden-esque race reversal shtick. In any case I don't exactly trust Fox to handle race relations properly.
Well you see, in some parts of Chicago the whites are the minorities :downs:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

angerbeet posted:

I can't believe it's still on, I used to watch it pretty frequently but even I gave up on it.

Yeah, I think I watched my last episode around September of 2012

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Prison Break could be fun with so much of the original people both on screen and behind the scenes back, 24 might be fun to watch even while it's still over the top and kinda racist, Lethal Weapon sounds like a more sensible premise for a t.v. show than the dozen other movie to t.v. conversions going on and Damon Wayans is a good casting choice, and I actually really like the premise of Pitch. I'll be shocked if it makes it past a season and gets any ratings, but we've had quite a few shows pointing out how over the top sexist we were in the past, I'm ready to be reminded how sexist we still are and "women in baseball" is the perfect thing to bring that tension to the forefront.

I can already picture the looks of disgust on people's faces when she strikes them out, the taunting from their teammates, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After seeing all the upfronts now I think Fox has the strongest slate by far. I think it's the only network with more than a couple shows I might tune in to check out.

• Locked thread