Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

tlarn posted:

Getting a farm going is extremely important; food you can depend on with predictable output and doesn't run around or have to be hauled/butchered wins out over hunting game.

This is good logic and I'm going to agree with it.

Coolguye posted:

Could you please not [timg] all of your update images? If you need to downsize the screenshots you can, but man does it make reading an update a chore when I have to click on each piece of content at least once, if not twice.

And this too actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Coolguye posted:

Could you please not [timg] all of your update images? If you need to downsize the screenshots you can, but man does it make reading an update a chore when I have to click on each piece of content at least once, if not twice.

If you want to get fancy, you can make a medium-sized image a link to a super hi-def version. I've seen some LPs do that. E: I think Imgur even has premade markup for doing this if the image is big enough, so you don't actually have to upload twice the images.

Also, this is a game I've pondered pulling the trigger on, so I'm glad to see it LPed! Can I please join the queue for the chillax camp as Fred Sloniker?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 25, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

If you want to get fancy, you can make a medium-sized image a link to a super hi-def version. I've seen some LPs do that. E: I think Imgur even has premade markup for doing this if the image is big enough, so you don't actually have to upload twice the images.

It's not super-complicated either. For imgur, if your image URL is image.png, then you'd do something like

[ url=image.png][ img]imagel.png[/img][/url]

In other words, stick a lowercase "L" at the end of the filename to link to a resized version that's appropriate for inserting into posts (there's also "m" and "s" variants, but they're too small to be useful IMO).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GeneX posted:

Gonna go with Getting a power supply up and running, however you want to go about it, with everyone who isn't doing that either Hunting or Farming.

Building barracks can wait for a bit.

Tribal start, a power supply will kinda take a while.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Veloxyll posted:

Tribal start, a power supply will kinda take a while.

Oh, I know. What I'm saying is to research immediately, assuming that our tech level is the primary issue, get someone else on steel mining duty, and have everyone else hunt if they're really good at shootingbor farm if none of the above apply.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not sure if I missed something, but... why is there a sea of doormats at the starting point?

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
Instead of starting with one of the premade scenarios, you can create a random one from a seed. Plenty of them have starting conditions that litter the map with particular items or resources, or start you with them directly.

Turpitude II fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Throw us on that wait list.

Doctor "Not A Doctor" Gridlocked at your space service. And I have no preferences of any kind re: gender or which hellhole I end up in

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 27, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

StarFyter posted:

I'm not sure if I missed something, but... why is there a sea of doormats at the starting point?

RANDOM!

I expect there will be a lot of yelling, "RANDDDDDDYYYYYYYY!!!" in that colony.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

LT Doormat is one of the three mods I currently have installed out of the five that didn't break with the latest patch. Your colonists are goddamn filthy and track dirt, sand, and entrails everywhere they go. Colonists stepping on these doormats will lose most of their accumulated filth. Once you get a base up and running, it's not uncommon to lock someone in a high traffic area and forbid them to leave until it's clean. This mod means doing it every 4-5 days instead of every 1-2.

I also kept Stonecutting Tweak installed. There are many types of stone in the game you can cut into blocks. In the vanilla game, when you create bills at the stonecutting table, you can't tell the game that you want 100 granite and 200 marble; you have to make two separate bills and forbid all stones except the ones you want. This is a small tweak to specifically set up bills for granite, marble, etc.

And I kept Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering because you can't manufacture artificial limbs more advanced than wooden chunks. Bionics depends on getting lucky from traders. This mod creates a well-balanced tech tree for making replacement parts. And yes, the prosthophiles may be getting limbs whacked in the interest of science.

Rimworld also lets you toggle your mods on and off so you can create games with or without certain mods. It's a handy feature I wish more moddable games had.

I've got the first days for Cassandra and Phoebe colonies in the can, I just need a day when I'm not brain-dead from work to post them. I'm also experimenting with resizing. If I shrink the images by 70%, they don't break tables, but they can get hard to read all the full-screen details. I'm thinking of cropping some images just to show relevant features.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

I'm thinking of cropping some images just to show relevant features.

This is a good idea when feasible. It helps direct the reader's attention to what you're actually talking about instead of to that llama that's off in the corner or whatever other irrelevant feature happens to stand out.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ooooh, Handy. I've been building/flooring approaches to my doors for that. Which helps, but the place can still get pretty grubby.

Also awnings for a FUN event that can happen. (I really appreciate the new roofing system okay.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Yeah, this LP's not getting finished. Sorry folks.

• Locked thread