Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

a helpful bear posted:

what does the national guard do in this situation? are they "loyal" to the cops, or supposed to be neutral between the two?

i read that they're there just to protect important buildings from property destruction, partly because obviously that needs to be done, but that frees up police to do their thing rather than sitting around watching buildings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

a helpful bear posted:

what does the national guard do in this situation? are they "loyal" to the cops, or supposed to be neutral between the two?

The mayor was saying that their primary function here is to "Guard property", making sure people don't smash up important buildings and stuff so the cops can get out into the crowds to more effectively police everything.

I'd imagine they're more or less neutral, but I have no idea how it works if people are smashing stuff and they're supposed to take action. Or if cops are doing stuff they perceive to be out of order.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Myrna_Perez/status/779160440509169664
https://twitter.com/helenschwab/status/779161850931929089

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

thanks for posting that

gotta love the trump ads (2 now) during this coverage lol

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

a cop posted:

They love playing up the ticking clock. "It's been peaceful so far, but JUST THIRTY MINUTES LEFT~~"

I'm not watching this to see peaceful protests. I will admit that peaceful protests can be very moving and fire on lots of feels, but I'm watching for the entertainment aspect. I don't want people to get hurt, but I'll be damned if I turn away when someone tells me they've timed a train wreck to happen.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/thawavybaby/status/779143545881923584

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

a cop posted:

The mayor was saying that their primary function here is to "Guard property", making sure people don't smash up important buildings and stuff so the cops can get out into the crowds to more effectively police everything.

I'd imagine they're more or less neutral, but I have no idea how it works if people are smashing stuff and they're supposed to take action. Or if cops are doing stuff they perceive to be out of order.

Pro-white mayor. Deploys national guard to protect businesses and property, but will he get police to respond to black neighborhoods any quicker?

In all honesty, that's straight from my rear end. I don't know what response times are in that area for police, but I'm inherently pessimistic about using force to save business property from angry mobs. Kind of a fine line (And I'm probably being a dumbass).

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

http://www.livenewsbox.com/american/cnn-news-usa.html

cnn showing a big clump of people in the middle of an intersection who don't look like they intend to go anywhere soon

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

JoeBangles posted:

Pro-white mayor. Deploys national guard to protect businesses and property, but will he get police to respond to black neighborhoods any quicker?

In all honesty, that's straight from my rear end. I don't know what response times are in that area for police, but I'm inherently pessimistic about using force to save business property from angry mobs. Kind of a fine line (And I'm probably being a dumbass).

the mayor is a woman democrat in a city that signed in extra LGBT protections (not saying she's great, but not sure right now), the governor is the shitheel

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

Karl Sharks posted:

the mayor is a woman democrat in a city that signed in extra LGBT protections (not saying she's great, but not sure right now), the governor is the shitheel

Thanks for the real info! Makes sense since a mayor can't call in the national guard. I like seeing the large crowds in protest, and I feel that some layers of government dismiss their right or want to form these street protests.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

JoeBangles posted:

Thanks for the real info! Makes sense since a mayor can't call in the national guard. I like seeing the large crowds in protest, and I feel that some layers of government dismiss their right or want to form these street protests.

yeah it's a bit confusing, the governor called a state of emergency and the national guard in, but the mayor is the one who signed the curfew into effect

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone know where these livestreams they keep switching through are actually from? I'd like to tune in to the actual stream rather than switch around.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Anyone know where these livestreams they keep switching through are actually from? I'd like to tune in to the actual stream rather than switch around.

Looks like CNN is mostly broadcasting a chopper feed while MSNBC has a man on the ground.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
The personal streams I mean, I'm not a cop like you so I don't want to watch MSNBC or CNN.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I just switched from my CNN tab to MSNBC where the MSNBC camera person was pointing the lens up at the CNN chopper. The future is cool haha.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I'm not watching a stream, but this seems to be up-to-date with what I see on CNN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfIDK-nxLo

I have no idea if that came out right.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
MSNBC guy: "What's [staying out here past the curfew] worth for you? Some kind of arrest? Some kind of fine?"

Black woman: "I'm a black mother with a black son - it's worth my life."

:drat:

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
To be clear, I'm watching this stream which was posted earlier in the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3j_KUJhGk

But it's looping through about half a dozen individual feeds and I want to find out where I can stay on one of those individual streams.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

frankenfreak posted:

MSNBC guy: "What's [staying out here past the curfew] worth for you? Some kind of arrest? Some kind of fine?"

Black woman: "I'm a black mother with a black son - it's worth my life."

:drat:

gat dam

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

"This looks like it could be a charity walk through a beautiful city, just at night"

No heads being bashed in yet. Looks drat peaceful, it would be pretty nuts if the cops got aggressive regarding the curfew. Mayor should just say gently caress it and call it all off.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?
I have to say that walking through a city with active curfew after midnight and giving speeches at intersections is really the way to peacefully protest. With it being 15 minutes after curfew, I'm happy to see everything rolling along smoothly with no shenanigans.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I am oddly amused by this blob of people just sort of meandering through the streets from the POV of the CNN chopper

bullets cure cops
Feb 3, 2006
Yeah oddly amusing.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

They're interviewing a cop on cnn who asked them why they haven't forcibly removed anyone from the streets.

Cop: "There hasn't been any need to. The group has been very peaceful so far. We can use the curfew as a tool if we need to, but hopefully we don't have to intervene at all."

So yeah. Good job, cops, and good job protesters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

a cop posted:

I am oddly amused by this blob of people just sort of meandering through the streets from the POV of the CNN chopper

Nothing going on but they follow each other like lemmings.

Also RiP Scott

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?
This is turning more into a feel-good story. I don't know if I'm being duped like some Alex Jones conspiracy, or if these people are just making America great again (Both sides in Charlotte).

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
It's good that the protests tonight have gone probably better than expected. I live in Charlotte and I had a coworker who lives near where the first nights protest was, and my boss lives in the area where they are tonight. I can't even watch the feeds, so I'm glad for the brief summaries.

It sure did bring out my poo poo head friends who apparently are just eagerly waiting for an excuse to murder some protesters?

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

Palisader posted:

It's good that the protests tonight have gone probably better than expected. I live in Charlotte and I had a coworker who lives near where the first nights protest was, and my boss lives in the area where they are tonight. I can't even watch the feeds, so I'm glad for the brief summaries.

It sure did bring out my poo poo head friends who apparently are just eagerly waiting for an excuse to murder some protesters?

Your city is doing the US proud tonight. Lots of tension resulting in lots of words and compromise. Great stuff! At this point, it seems more of a matter how long the crowd will last. Both sides are playing the right hands. That makes things boring yet memorable (Hopefully).

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

JoeBangles posted:

Your city is doing the US proud tonight. Lots of tension resulting in lots of words and compromise. Great stuff! At this point, it seems more of a matter how long the crowd will last. Both sides are playing the right hands. That makes things boring yet memorable (Hopefully).

I can't ask for a better wish than to have boring yet memorable protests.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

JoeBangles posted:

By many eyewitness accounts, the cops shot a guy in the head last night.

JoeBangles
Mar 23, 2005

Parlez-vous grenouille ?

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I don't know if that's quite accurate. My understanding is that the person shot last night (On Wednesday night) was shot by another civilian. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I believe it's been touted on CNN for the past few hours that I've watched tonight. I may also be missing humor or sarcasm.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

With a rubber bullet at point blank range. Supposedly. And blamed it on the other protesters.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

a cop posted:

They're interviewing a cop on cnn who asked them why they haven't forcibly removed anyone from the streets.

Cop: "There hasn't been any need to. The group has been very peaceful so far. We can use the curfew as a tool if we need to, but hopefully we don't have to intervene at all."

So yeah. Good job, cops, and good job protesters.

JoeBangles posted:

This is turning more into a feel-good story. I don't know if I'm being duped like some Alex Jones conspiracy, or if these people are just making America great again (Both sides in Charlotte).

yeah this is pretty :unsmith:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is Tim on the scene yet?

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Palisader posted:

With a rubber bullet at point blank range. Supposedly. And blamed it on the other protesters.
also facebook vanished all traces of live streams of this

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ok the chat at the top right of this has me dying http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/live-streaming/

not sure if it's actually a replay or not, it says replay at the top left. Everyone is talking to the cameraman directly, who's name is apparently "Billy".

e: Yeah it's a replay from an hour ago. Nevermind.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a helpful bear posted:

I am taking a homeland security classes right now as a minor. Basically the guard is there to protect critical resources and infrastructure ( keeping people away from government buildings, power plants, banks,fusion centers, poo poo like that) and if in the nonexistent case that cops got overwhelmed (like shootouts bombing,poo poo like that.) i wouldn't worry about them. They won't be protecting random business though maybe in the city center but that would be mostly it.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 10:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

a cop posted:

Mayor: It's hard to see what the gentlemen is holding. It's a small item and the gun in question is a small gun. But again it is not a clear video and I think that ambiguity is something that will be a challenge and it's why I want to have an investigation completed before anything else happens.

"in this transient universe do objects really exist" he added

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

And by many eyewitness accounts the dude had a book and not a gun, people's memory of events like that is terrible and should be ignored.

papa_november posted:

also facebook vanished all traces of live streams of this

You should post this here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=242

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Eyewitness accounts are garbage and there are tons of studies that show this. People remember wrongly all the time and are incredibly vulnerable to suggestion. One guy says 'kinda looked like a book' and suddenly the dozen people who heard him go 'yeah I remember it was a book!'

• Locked thread