Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Saw a guy doing that actually

11am, covertly pulling out a bottle of some sort of liquor

Fired on the spot

Fuken idiot

Sued employer, lost

GG

This is technically accurate. You saw a guy (you), pull out a bottle of liquor (also you). Sorry about your lawsuit. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
old job over a decade ago i started sneaking two (2) natty ices in my lunchbox and would lag late on lunch just up on top of the rotting down mcmansion we had our lunch in

place full of feral cats but still had that fake swank and we'd all be polite to the cats and try not to touch them because cats are great but the ones that are way down are all incest babies with gross diseases, you'd shudder to think

i used to go up on the roof though and hit golf balls i'd found with the drivers we kept and try to hit bulldozers with them

and that is my golf story

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
also the legend of the lovely cat house was that it was a spec house but some people had been flying in drugs onto a small airfield you could see out there

which made it sort of romantic

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I get hosed up at dinner all the time with suppliers, partners, peers, underlings, people above me, my boss, who doesn't do this?

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I used to be in the restaurant industry so yes definitely just drank all the time as a requirement. Now I'm a mechanic and definitely about to let the clown back out of the box.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

interwhat posted:

I used to be in the restaurant industry so yes definitely just drank all the time as a requirement. Now I'm a mechanic and definitely about to let the clown back out of the box.

are you a cool enough dude to admit by 'in the restaurant business' you mean you were a bus boy who drank all the half drank beers on the tables

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

extra stout posted:

are you a cool enough dude to admit by 'in the restaurant business' you mean you were a bus boy who drank all the half drank beers on the tables

Spalding!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

extra stout posted:

Nah it was a hole in the wall and I was one of two back of the house employees, not the dishwasher, and it was always slow so I drank and smoked bowls in the walk in cooler

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A customer saw me drinking beer behind the milk once

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

never, because me and my coworkers operate delicate heavy machinery and it would probably result in deaths

nice office job tho op!

Yah no blue collar workers get hosed up on the job lol ... stakes are just too high for that lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

OMGVBFLOL posted:

having been an dyed in the wool, on-the-dark-downhill-highway-to-suicide alcoholic, it's nice to hear the "wild and irresponsible" stories of normal moderate drinkers, because when someone was like "man, this one time, i drank to get through my day it was a seriously dark period of my life and im glad it's over" it really grants perspective on all the times i was home alone watching tv and drank until i poo poo myself even though i didn't want to drink at all

Pretty sure this is a parachute for commie Ned Flanders FYI

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kuato posted:

This is technically accurate. You saw a guy (you), pull out a bottle of liquor (also you). Sorry about your lawsuit. :smuggo:

I'll smash ur head m8 I fookin swear

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I was management for a massive government contract like 6-7 years ago, and after a couple of months of 20 hour days 6-7 days a week (salary, no overtime, but occasional "performance" bonuses), I started drinking on the job.

It was hell- maybe you get to sleep a few hours at home, maybe the night supervisor calls you at 3am because he can't figure out a solution to a simple problem, maybe you just sleep in the office or your truck for a few hours. I had a very nice silverado 2500, but you cannot sleep in a mid-2000s silverado. It was like one of their design specs was "no one must ever sleep in these vehicles." You couldn't recline more than a few degrees, you couldn't lay down across the bench seat because there were a shitload of seat belt things sticking out of the seats. Yup, this truck had every option except for a loving place to sleep.

It started with me taking swigs of the mouthwash I kept in my glove box (didn't get to go home every night, so I had to have a backup for proper hygiene), and escalated to me flat out bringing bottles of whiskey or a flask to work and openly going to town on them.

I obviously lost my job over that, but I take solace in the fact that every other member of management for that contract also lost their jobs over the course of the next several months. Also, the guy directly above me got divorced, but that was sad, because he was actually a nice guy trying to do right for his family, but the company treated him like garbage. Garbage who made like 1.5x what I did, but still garbage.

Six figures was not worth it, and I'm definitely much happier with my lower middle class life now.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I was wasted throughout most of 11th grade and my parents used to say that school was my job so maybe that counts?

I work for myself now and I find that the busier and more behind I get, the more often and earlier I'm drinking on the job. If there's a day where I don't have to drive, I'm grabbing a bottle right after my morning piss. Not the smartest move considering I'm a woodworker.

My dad works at a TV/radio station and he always told me that the evening news anchor was completly wasted every show and he had been doing this for over 10 years. I didn't really believe him until the guy killed two people drinking and driving. His replacement on the news did not have as commanding a voice. He also kind of looked like my step-dad so I hated him by proxy.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
My hobby, that i do indulge at, does not hinge upon another persons survival.

A clear conscious is a wonderful thing.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 17, 2016

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

drinking while working is a very bad idea imo, but in theory i think i "get" it

sobriety is always considered best but of course i've known plenty of people who seem to function while using drugs

brains are so different, it's hard to judge people

for one guy taking amphetamines or barbiturates may make him perform better in society and a doctor may instruct him to do so, for another guy the exact same thing may be dangerous, and of course not everyone gets an ideal doctor and diagnosis and treatment for whatever idiosyncrasies they may have.

i'm p sure the majority of people are either medicated or self-medicated one way or another, but then again you have some people who go years or their whole lives without ever having a drink

the other day though i witnessed a drunk driving accident, it's not cool, and it's fresh in my brain

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
we have a kegerator in our office kitchen :grin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I used to think that the whole "gbs posters are alcoholics" thing was just a joke, a poke at other gags and giggles made by posters who were 'yanking our chain' about their drinking habits. But I look at threads like this and I feel sad inside, like maybe it wasn't a joke, maybe you really do need help :(

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I used to think that the whole "gbs posters are alcoholics" thing was just a joke, a poke at other gags and giggles made by posters who were 'yanking our chain' about their drinking habits. But I look at threads like this and I feel sad inside, like maybe it wasn't a joke, maybe you really do need help :(

maybe you need to grow the gently caress up, son.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Commie NedFlanders posted:

the other day though i witnessed a drunk driving accident, it's not cool, and it's fresh in my brain

What made you think this accident was drinking related?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BLARGHLE posted:

Peep that username.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VendaGoat posted:

maybe you need to grow the gently caress up, son.

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives, it's a free world and all that, but maybe if you drink alcohol on the job you have worse problems to address than getting through the day at your crappy job!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I usually throw back a few shooters to pass the time in the morning while I'm letting the school bus warm up.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I don't think it's just the forum, it seems p widespread to me.

I've been driving for Uber for some side cash and the experience has been rather illuminating. The job requires me to stay sober (it's one thing if you drink at your office computer job but it's never acceptable when operating vehicles or machines where people can die) and puts me in contact with drunk people on a regular basis. People are drunk at all hours of the day and talk freely about their habits.

Basically it seems like substance abuse is a very basic feature of our society which permeates just about every institution

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VendaGoat posted:

Peep that username.

My mistake, I've been drinking!

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

I checked on the person and found out

Thankfully no one was hurt

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives, it's a free world and all that, but maybe if you drink alcohol on the job you have worse problems to address than getting through the day at your crappy job!

Your bait doesn't look like anything to me. :)

Perhaps I could interest you in a treasure hunt, beyond the savage lands.

I have a map, somewhere amongst my possessions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact you didn't even consider that I might be just making an honest statement is also very sad

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Good and since no one is in any immediate danger, you can just find your way to another mark?

Since, as you say, no one was hurt. Is there any reason to divert my friend here?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The fact you didn't even consider that I might be just making an honest statement is also very sad

That doesn't look like anything to me.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Good and since no one is in any immediate danger, you can just find your way to another mark?

Since, as you say, no one was hurt. Is there any reason to divert my friend here?

Wat

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Come inside and have a drink. I've been saving a bottle.

Shall we drink to the lady with the white shoes?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

My teetotal (and fat, slovenly) brother has been hit by a drunk driver who was going 90+, which bought him a brand new car...and he somehow ended up with a nissan versa of all loving things....

The closest thing I've come to a drunk driving accident was the time a deer charged my car.

Oh, and the time a drunk ran through a stop sign and t-boned my truck....I almost forgot about that. I got a new door out of the deal, and the truck actually looks nicer than it did before I got hit.

I guess what I'm saying is that death waits for no man, and we're all living on borrowed time, so drink up.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

BLARGHLE posted:

My teetotal (and fat, slovenly) brother has been hit by a drunk driver who was going 90+, which bought him a brand new car...and he somehow ended up with a nissan versa of all loving things....

The closest thing I've come to a drunk driving accident was the time a deer charged my car.

Oh, and the time a drunk ran through a stop sign and t-boned my truck....I almost forgot about that. I got a new door out of the deal, and the truck actually looks nicer than it did before I got hit.

I guess what I'm saying is that death waits for no man, and we're all living on borrowed time, so drink up.

It's one thing to gamble with your own life it's another to gamble with other people's

Get drunk or high or whatever you like if that's your bag, but for the love of God don't drive like that. You're much better off calling an uber. You're helping out someone trying to earn some extra cash and you get to get chauffeured around like a VIP and possibly meet a new friend!

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Come inside and have a drink. I've been saving a bottle.

Shall we drink to the lady with the white shoes?

I'm getting flashbacks to my younger days when I would happily saunter into anyone's home who made an offer like that. I've been in too many weird situations I've been spending years trying to crawl my way back to a normal orthodox life stop spooking me

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm getting flashbacks to my younger days when I would happily saunter into anyone's home who made an offer like that. I've been in too many weird situations I've been spending years trying to crawl my way back to a normal orthodox life stop spooking me

I ain't trying to spook yah. The lady with the white shoes though...

She'll take all your money, drink all your booze. Ain't got a cherry, that ain't no sin. She's still got the box that the cherry come in.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

I ain't trying to spook yah. The lady with the white shoes though...

She'll take all your money, drink all your booze. Ain't got a cherry, that ain't no sin. She's still got the box that the cherry come in.

😎

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
No. I use large amounts of coffee to keep me going. Being drunk around kids at school is frowned upon quite severely. We had a noob teacher a few years ago who showed up to school a few times severely hung over. He was warned about this behavior. Then he showed up drunk off his rear end one morning. That was his last day. To add insult to insult to injury, he got pissed and drove off, only to be arrested for DWI.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

genesplicer posted:

No. I use large amounts of coffee to keep me going. Being drunk around kids at school is frowned upon quite severely. We had a noob teacher a few years ago who showed up to school a few times severely hung over. He was warned about this behavior. Then he showed up drunk off his rear end one morning. That was his last day. To add insult to insult to injury, he got pissed and drove off, only to be arrested for DWI.

I put the screws to a math teacher in an elementary school parking lot one night. It wasn't her school, but that's definitely the kind of thing that can cost a teacher her job. It was the best sex we had in the year that we were together, and our entire relationship was characterized by the quality and quantity of sex we were having, and nothing else. It was actually a pretty bad relationship, but she was hot, and now I wish I was 25 again, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Who wants to drink a lot and suck each other's cock

• Locked thread