Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Hot sauce doesn't need to be refrigerated it just shouldn't be exposed to tons of direct sunlight or it will turn bitter and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why is everyone loving with the op? refrigerate hot sauce - no. that part is right, but room temp hot sauce is also not right. It needs to be frozen op - there's a saying "use heat to kill heat", that means that cooking got stuff makes it less hot. The flip side is, freeze all ur hot sauce all the time, then it will stay as hot sauce

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

let it mellow posted:

why is everyone loving with the op? refrigerate hot sauce - no. that part is right, but room temp hot sauce is also not right. It needs to be frozen op - there's a saying "use heat to kill heat", that means that cooking got stuff makes it less hot. The flip side is, freeze all ur hot sauce all the time, then it will stay as hot sauce

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BLARGHLE posted:

Frozen hot sauce, keep up

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

BLARGHLE posted:

The same principle that applies to batteries, applies to hot sauce.

If you put batteries in the freezer it slows the chemical reaction and makes them last longer.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

BLARGHLE posted:

I'm answering ops question. Everyone else is loving with him.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you put batteries in the fridge they'll explode

Like if you put a can of coke in there

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VR Native American posted:

The same principle that applies to batteries, applies to hot sauce.

If you put batteries in the freezer it slows the chemical reaction and makes them last longer.

I have never heard of this.

Yes to batteries, but never for hot sauce.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

BLARGHLE posted:

Then you are ruining your hot sauce and always have been. Please freeze your hot sauce, it will taste better.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i used to scoff at refrigerating hot sauce, but then i noticed one day that my bottle of frank's had a big brown plug in it.

That's just dried up hot sauce. ain't no mold growing in what is essentially a mixture of vinegar and capsaicin.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
People do thing I don't! ARGH!

People do thing differently! *Dis thread*

*self awareness* Non-existent.

:)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i used to scoff at refrigerating hot sauce, but then i noticed one day that my bottle of frank's had a big brown plug in it.

This

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

VendaGoat posted:

man, stop loving with the op

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

uber_stoat posted:

That's just dried up hot sauce. ain't no mold growing in what is essentially a mixture of vinegar and capsaicin.

No it's oxidized hot sace which doesn't tastw as good

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

uh yeah totally i love slamming ice cold tapatio or Chiluba on my hot rear end 'rito :thatsmiliethatdoesthewankgesture:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

No it's oxidized hot sace which doesn't tastw as good

well you don't eat the "plug" you scrape that poo poo out and get rid of it. keeping the bottle in a cool dark place is enough to slow oxidization so that you're gonna finish off the bottle before it goes bad.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 17, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

uber_stoat posted:

well you don't eat the "plug" you scrape that poo poo out and get rid of it. keeping the bottle in a cool dark place is enough to slow oxidization so that you're gonna finish off the bottle before it goes bad.

Ive seen the whole bottle go brown like that. It's bad

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Ive seen the whole bottle go brown like that. It's bad

Straight from the source, the official cholula website! http://www.cholula.com/about.html

"Does Cholula Hot Sauce need to be refrigerated?

Clear space in your cabinet because Cholula Hot Sauce does not need to be kept cool. Cholula Hot Sauce is best used within the first six months after opening."

if it all turns brown like that then that bottle has to have been sitting there for a long drat time.

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016
Most hot sauces do not require refrigeration. That's why they are called HOT sauces. See what I did there? Get it? Okay. Nevermind.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if u dont have at least 10 bottles of hot sauce in your fridge/pantry youre a freking scumbag

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

let it mellow posted:

man, stop loving with the op

:v: That don't look like nothing to me.

luv 2 date boys posted:

uh yeah totally i love slamming ice cold tapatio or Chiluba on my hot rear end 'rito :thatsmiliethatdoesthewankgesture:

Sometime flavor or mouth feel is wonderful with a dichotomy. Sweet savory, Sweet salty, Hot Cold, Umami Salty and so on and so loving forth.

Sometime the culmination of extremes is quite motherfucking pleasant.

Ask your Momma about it. I bet she got at least a few stories.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

let it mellow posted:

Then you are ruining your hot sauce and always have been. Please freeze your hot sauce, it will taste better.

I don't really use hot sauce, I just make sure to adequately flavor my food when I cook it.

That being said, I do have like a liter of my imitation Bill's BBQ sauce in the fridge, and it's basically just vinegar/tomato/spices. I made a very faithful recreation of the now-defunct Bill's BBQ sauce a few years ago, and don't remember what all I put in it, so the stuff I have in the fridge needs to never go bad.

Like the 200 year old barrels of brandy kept in the cellar under a fine distillery, this liter of sauce serves as my tasting baseline, since you can't get the original anymore.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

Sometime flavor or mouth feel is wonderful with a dichotomy. Sweet savory, Sweet salty, Hot Cold, Umami Salty and so on and so loving forth.

Sometime the culmination of extremes is quite motherfucking pleasant.

Ask your Momma about it. I bet she got at least a few stories.

And yet none of those combos are "fresh from the ice box cold" combined with "cooked to a proper temperature"

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

luv 2 date boys posted:

And yet none of those combos are "fresh from the ice box cold" combined with "cooked to a proper temperature"

"Hot and Cold?"

Still though, there is never enough garlic.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
no, but put it somewhere dark after you open it cuz it will oxidize & get gross

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

"Hot and Cold?"

Still though, there is never enough garlic.

Cholula got you covered:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

luv 2 date boys posted:

Cholula got you covered:

You're loving eh right! :hfive:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Long live Cholula.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

The Aardvark posted:

Long live Cholula.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the chipotle flavor is Good and Cool.

Chinatown posted:

if u dont have at least 10 bottles of hot sauce in your fridge/pantry youre a freking scumbag

I had to dedicate an entire shelf in my pantry to hot sauce after I pulled a drunk shop on amazon and ended up with multiple hot sauce gift packs. so many bottles.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 17, 2016

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

BLARGHLE posted:

this is my favorite poster in this thread

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

you gotta freeze that sauce though

naem
May 29, 2011

It's weird how cholula, Tabasco and tapatio are so different when they are all just made out of burning

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i ate the whole drat tray of frozen lasagna spiced up with my frozen hot sauce mother fuckers

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
dont refrigerate hot sauce and also if it turns brown that means youve had it for so long that you can pretty easily justify going out and spending another $3

or maybe just give up on the hot sauce thing because you hardly use it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i always bring some nice ice cold hot sauce to mcdonalds for the big mac that i order

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

EVIL NOONER posted:

dont refrigerate hot sauce and also if it turns brown that means youve had it for so long that you can pretty easily justify going out and spending another $3

or maybe just give up on the hot sauce thing because you hardly use it

nailed it.

in other news, like $2.50 gets a giant jug of this poo poo and it is good.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

numberoneposter posted:

i always bring some nice ice cold hot sauce to mcdonalds for the big mac that i order

you mean for your makeshift ghetto abomination of a big mac, dont you?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

EVIL NOONER posted:

you mean for your makeshift ghetto abomination of a big mac, dont you?
hell i was feeling rich today and got the real deal

an old man tried to peel the monopoly stickers off my fuckin hamburger box while i was getting ketchup and coke lmao i told him id gently caress him up if he touched my god drat food again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

uber_stoat posted:

nailed it.

in other news, like $2.50 gets a giant jug of this poo poo and it is good.

it's okay. it's no Cholula™, "Official Hot Sauce" of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach and Coca-Cola 600

• Locked thread