Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

CEF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I also wrote a small SoL, to try and make up a little for already lying about updates.

SoL: Things were almost cheerful

You love your son.

You’ve never told him that. You should have, but the words just freeze in your throat. You’ve lost everything you ever said those words to. You don't even think them loudly anymore.

You sometimes hate your son.

You haven’t told him that either, thankfully.

It isn’t his fault. All he ever did was be born. But you saw his twin, before they burned it. You never saw your wife again. She was taken to the birth house, and then they brought out this empty shell and told you it was her. You sometimes wonder if, without your son, you wouldn’t have gotten his twin either. Maybe you would still be happy then. It isn’t fair, but nothing is.

You hate the Plainsgod too. His priests declared that thing, and your wife, anathema. The Plainsgod is the god of herdsmen, and the corruption of human with animal is punishment for the greatest of sins. The demons who torment the faithful take on such hybrid appearances, distorting the rightful order of the world.

Rerak… Rerak you still hold on to. The priest tells you that while such curses happen, they are rarely the fault of the one who suffers them. He says Rerak must have intervened, that you might have one perfect son, a light out of all that dark. Sometimes you almost believe again.

You’ve never told your son you love him, and now you never will. You wonder if maybe you’re the one who’s cursed. You’ve seen the way the villagers treat your son, but you can’t stop them. You can’t help him. You can’t even help yourself. You hope Saul can do better.

You make sure the rock is tied securely to your waist.

You walk into the river.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
E F B

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E: F, B.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Man, whole bunch of depressing poo poo happening in the CYOA threads tonight.

ADI

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
BEH. H is being a builder/carpenter.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Current plan is to start writing when I get off work, around midnight. Voting is still open.

Edit: roughly halfway done, this update just gets longer everytime I work on it.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 11, 2016

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Six years? We only needed to skip four…

Time passes...

You spent a lot of your childhood looking forward to your time with Rerak in his temple, because it made your father happy. Now you look forward to time with Rerak because it makes you happy. Not long after you moved, the priest asked if you would like to help him with the temple, cleaning and maintaining it, and you quickly agreed. Now you spend a day or two a week, helping the priest. You’ve learned by heart many of the stories and tales of Rerak, who is the Creator in the Earth, working alongside one of the kindest men you know. He even told you his name, Lem, which is an honor. The names of priests are secret, sacred things, rarely used. Usually only those who knew the priest in his life before know it, and they are asked to keep silent.

Lem is one of the oldest men in the village, gray haired and wrinkled but still solid. He keeps a walking stick at hand but rarely uses it, claiming that Rerak is all the support he needs, and when he confides in you his name, you finally gain the courage to ask a question that had been on your mind for years.

“What is my name? Why hasn’t anyone ever used it? Why hasn't anyone ever told me?” Lem blinks, then shakes his head. “I don’t know your name, child. I’m sorry, but nobody does. If a parent names a child, none may change it. If your mother named you, she never spoke it. Your father told all she had picked a name, but wanted it to be a surprise, and after she died he wouldn’t pick another. So your name is lost.”

He then tells you the first story of Rerak, a great spirit who awoke from nothingness, with no memories of before, to find himself deep within the ground, and naught but stone and dirt around him. At first he explored the deep places of the world, but once he knew every detail of the sightless world he grew bored. So he rose to the surface, and there found man, wandering, exploring the land as the spirit had explored the depths. Seeing in man a kinship, the spirit caused the earth to bring forth crops for man to tend, that they might have a home to settle in. In joy man promised to praise the spirit for all time, and called it Rerak. “Your name being lost does not mean you cannot do great things. Indeed, Rerak’s loss is why priests surrender the use of their name.”

As you are preparing to leave, Lem stops you. “I had no intended to offer for a few years, but in light of that story… I would like you to consider becoming my acolyte. As the next priest of Rerak, your lost name would not matter, and your place in this village would be assured. I see the love of Rerak in your heart, and I think you would do well. It could not become official until you reached 15 years, but think on it for now.”

Walking beside your uncle, anyone who didn’t know you would mistake you for his son. Tall, with the golden brown skin and tan hair of the nomadic refugees, you look much more like Saul than his own children. You’ve had a growth spurt recently, and even at 14 you’re nearly tall as most men in the village who don’t have foreign blood, and can expect to grow to be of respectable height even for one of your bloodlines. You’ve long since become one of Saul’s family completely, and the isolation of your childhood has faded to memory, a dull ache and the lessons associated with it. You have a place in the village, and most people will look you in the eyes instead of looking past you.

Saul frequently travels into Makil and to many surrounding farms to settle small disputes, or just to keep things running smoothly. Your cousins showed little interest in his work away from the ranch, and he was very pleased when you first asked to accompany him. At first you just watched, but lately he’s even asked your opinion, and explained why he makes the decisions he does. Saul’s fellow elders, Gerrik and Othen, were less pleased when you started appearing at your uncle’s side. Gerrick owns one of the largest farms in the area, with a veritable army of family to help him work the land. A devout follower of Rerak, you have seen him often at the temple, but he had studiously ignored you. He continues to do so, actually. Othen, however, is a foul mouthed old man, and you’ve learned much from him. Mostly you’ve learned words that, when said at dinner, earn you a smack from Aunt Ephis, but knowledge is knowledge.

On this trip to Makil, the elders are ruling on a land dispute. Recently, Rerak made himself felt, either in anger or joy, and not far from the village the river has shifted it’s path. Two neighbors, with adjacent pastures have taken to arguing, as the river was their boundry, and with it’s shift one man has claimed ownership of a large swath of the other’s land. It has nearly come to blows several times. You can hear them shouting as you approach.
“He has stolen my land, and refused to return it, or pay me for it’s use!”
“The river was always the boundry, and besides, you could not use it anyway, your flock could never cross the river. Rerak has clearly chosen to give me the land.”
“The Plainsgod holds all herd lands as sacred, Rerak could not take them from me! You invoke Rerak to conceal your own theft.”
“Theft?! I should teach you… oh, hello elder. I trust you’ve come to instruct this man in the error of his ways.”

Relating as it does to a herdsman problems, the other elders have chosen to leave this problem to your uncle. He asks the men a few questions, after first separating them so they stop talking over each other, and then sends them both away to await his decision. Saul then turns to you, and asks “What do you think, boy? How should we decide? The first man would like a payment for the use of his lands, or at least just the ownership of them to keep the second off of it. He is determined that, if has to lose, nobody else will gain from it. The second man holds that, as the river is the traditional boundary, the land is now rightfully his.” Your uncle has been doing this lately, asking your opinion before making his decisions. You don’t know if you’ve ever influenced him to change his mind, but he has occasionally used your words when delivering his answers, and that never fails to make you smile.

You know, from your assorted lessons, that Rerak may well punish a grave sinner by shaking the earth, or to reward another man by revealing the treasures of the earth in front of him. Indeed, it’s believe that is how Makil came by the small metal diggings it has. There are no stories, however, of Rerak having done so to change the boundary lines men use. You know the Plainsgod holds herd lands sacred, and protects it for his faithful. This is an unusual case.

1: How do you decide on this case?

At first you were probably just a nuisance, but over time you’ve become an actual help to Jorrim. Now 18, he manages the day to day affairs of his father’s land whenever Saul has village business. Jorrim proved to have a talent for such work, and you have come to believe that with Jorrim’s talents and hard work the family land will do as well as it has under Saul, if not better. Jorrim has an attention to detail that exceeds his father’s, even. But he lacks the assertiveness that has made Saul an important man outside of his lands, and Jorrim is unlikely to follow his father as a village elder. Working alongside Jorrim, you have learned much about managing a household, bargaining with the yearly traders, and the business of being a herdsman.

One day, as you and Jorrim are finishing up the days work, Saul comes up to the two of you, frowning a little. “I need to have a talk with the two of you,” he says, leading you into the house. You can’t recall having done anything that might upset him, recently, but you’re worried all the same.

After the three of you settle around the kitchen table, your uncle beings. “Jorrim, as this will effect you, I wanted you to be present, while I talk to your cousin,” he says, then turns to you. “Son, you’ve with me for 6 years now, and you’ve become as dear to me as my own children. You’ll be old enough to set out on your own soon, and I want to give you an inheritance, like I would for any other son of mine. A small herd and some land to settle on, in addition to the house in the village, which I’ve kept for you. After your work with Jorrim, I think you’d do well. Jorrim, I wanted your opinion, I didn’t want you to feel I was stealing from your own future.”

Jorrim shakes his head, smiling, “Why wouldn’t I want my brother to do well in life? He is welcome to whatever you wish to give him.”

2: What do you make of yourself?
A: I accept the herd, intending to become a herdsman like my family. This would mean turning down the offer to become the acolyte of Rerak, as priests are not to own land outside the temple. I could still work with Lem, but once I received the land (at age 16), I would have very little time to do so, and in the interim he would almost certainly be busy searching for and training a new assistant.

B: I want to work with the Lem, to become the next priest of Rerak for my village. I thank my uncle, but can’t accept his offer. He would understand, he just wants me to do well, which as a priest I would

C: I decline both offers. I still own my house in the village proper, and plan to find another way to make my way in life. My uncle and Lem would both support me, if I asked, as I worked to find a different place in life. Feel free to make suggestions on what you might do. If this wins, there will be another round of voting on what you work towards

D: I decline both offers, and plan to leave the village. Makil may accept me now, but I haven’t forgotten my childhood. Somewhere else I could have a name, and be free of my past. My house could be sold to help me make the journey, and although it might hurt my uncle, he would probably provide as well. if this wins, there will be a separate vote for where you go and what you do.

E: Other

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Well, I honestly have no idea.

What kind of game is this supposed to be? Is some big event coming? Should we be preparing for war? Is being a herdsman for our entire life possible?

According to OP we are going to see several ages of this world. So we should try to make this character try to have an effect on this world. I don't think staying in one place will help us achieve that. We should at least be familiar with what lies beyond this four little villages.

What stories have we heard from nomadic tradesmen? What lies beyond the horizon? Are other gods worshipped there?

D

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B let's get our priest on

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. Time to work towards our apotheosis, to become more than a mere human.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

What kind of game is this supposed to be? Is some big event coming? Should we be preparing for war? Is being a herdsman for our entire life possible?

If you want to herd cows your entire life, we can do Sim herdsman, no problem.

I don't want to drive you as players one direction or another with the character, but I will say that, as a game about making changes to the history I've already written, it's unlikely that I would put you into a boring Era right off the bat. What makes this Era a point in history worth visiting, and how or even if you want to change it, are the meat of the game.

(I'll answer your in game questions a little later, I'm phone posting at work just now)

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
1. Though Rerak may shape the land on which it flows, the river is not within his domain, as I understand it. Perhaps it is a knock-on effect of some other god changing the course of the river further up or down stream, but it doesn't have the hand of Rerak behind it. Leaving the boundary where it once was before, preferably with a fence this time, seems most fair. The land should not go to waste though, and if the herdsman cannot use it himself, then he is obliged to rent it.

2. B.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 13, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Aabcehmu posted:

1. Though Rerak may shape the land on which it flows, the river is not within his domain, as I understand it. Perhaps it is a knock-on effect of some over god changing the course of the river further up or down stream, but it doesn't have the hand of Rerak behind it. Leaving the boundary where it once was before, preferably with a fence this time, seems most fair.

2. B.

This

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Aabcehmu posted:

1. Though Rerak may shape the land on which it flows, the river is not within his domain, as I understand it. Perhaps it is a knock-on effect of some over god changing the course of the river further up or down stream, but it doesn't have the hand of Rerak behind it. Leaving the boundary where it once was before, preferably with a fence this time, seems most fair.

Sure, but the owner has to be making use of it. If I can't make use of it he has to rent it to someone for a reasonable fee.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

What stories have we heard from nomadic tradesmen? What lies beyond the horizon? Are other gods worshipped there?

You've heard a few stories about what lies outside your river valley, some of which may even be true:
You've heard from the nomads that outside this valley, the Plainsgod holds sway in all things
Every so often a trader from another people visits Makil, coming from the south east past Potom. He's never talked about his religion, but he's also never visited either temple in your village
The nomads tell you of a city to the east, across the mountain range, that they visit some years depending on the weather. They say it is large enough one could get lost in it, and more people live there than in all four villages together
They also speak of a desert to the north that they enter rarely. They consider it either a trial sent by the Plainsgod, or a place where he has withdrawn his blessing that no man should go.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Outrail posted:

Sure, but the owner has to be making use of it. If I can't make use of it he has to rent it to someone for a reasonable fee.

Fair. I've augmented my proposal.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

Aabcehmu posted:

1. Though Rerak may shape the land on which it flows, the river is not within his domain, as I understand it. Perhaps it is a knock-on effect of some other god changing the course of the river further up or down stream, but it doesn't have the hand of Rerak behind it. Leaving the boundary where it once was before, preferably with a fence this time, seems most fair. The land should not go to waste though, and if the herdsman cannot use it himself, then he is obliged to rent it.

2. B.

This one.

Agreeing with B because it's good to figure out to what degree religion is legit in games like these.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ceramic Shot posted:

This one.

Agreeing with B because it's good to figure out to what degree religion is legit in games like these.

Until a god actually comes down and says 'Yo, check me out in all my splendor, I'm legit and poo poo.' I don't believe at all. And if that does happen all I know is that something is claiming to be a god. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Outrail posted:

Until a god actually comes down and says 'Yo, check me out in all my splendor, I'm legit and poo poo.' I don't believe at all. And if that does happen all I know is that something is claiming to be a god. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I still think we need to be the ones in position to make extraordinary claims.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

I still think we need to be the ones in position to make extraordinary claims.

We should be proclaiming ourselves a god? I'm doing with that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

No work tomorrow, so I should get an update together

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I hope they don’t make me wear robes

You consider the case, then make your decision, “Though Rerak may shape the land on which it flows, the river is not within his domain. Perhaps another god has had his hand in this, changing the course of the river further up or down stream, but it doesn't have the hand of Rerak behind it. Leaving the boundary where it once was before, preferably with a fence this time, seems most fair. The land should not go to waste though, and if the herdsman cannot use it himself, then he is obliged to rent it at a reasonable rate.” Saul listens to you, then smiles, “You might make a good leader yet, son. One man shouldn’t profit at another’s misfortune, they should work together.”

———

And so you chose to enter Rerak’s service. You moved into the temple and were to be initiated into the deeper mysteries of Rerak. Except for now, the deeper mysterious bear a striking resemblance to the cleaning you’d already spent your childhood doing. Seeing your discontent, Lem smiles apologetically, “It’s traditional. An acolyte spends his first week doing labor on his own. It’s supposed to bring you closer to Rerak.” And so you sweep, and scrub, and anything other manual labor that needs done around the temple. Generally some of the villagers would help, like you used to, but for the next few weeks that glory is all yours.

It is during this cleaning time that you are approached by what would be the first of many; people who want assurances that Rerak loves them. Or at least want to village to be assured he does. You discover that several townspeople hope that giving you gifts now will ensure that “Rerak” looks upon their sacrifices and prayers in favor later. They introduce the topic subtlety, of course.

How do you respond to their “gifts”?

Finally, the week is over, and the learning begins. You are first taught the priest chant, which opens each day and leads every prayer. You thought you had already memorized it, from your time in the temple, but Lem teaches you otherwise. It is not just the words but the pauses, not just the sounds, but also the tone, which makes the chant holy. To speak as Rerak’s priest is to speak in the language of the earth, where silence, sound, breath, and tone all combine to make one thought. You also learn stories of Rerak you were never told, and the beliefs behind those stories. The why, not just the what. All in all, you spend several months happily learning, until everything you believe is called into question.

The earth shakes and groans, and then the river dries up entirely.

shortish update, I put in my two week notice on Monday without actually having another job lined up, and have spent the week alternating between optimism and panic. I’ll flesh out the lessons more in my next post, on top of moving forward. We can do priesthood training questions if there's anything you're curious about.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Tell the priest about the gifts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Take the gifts, but don't let them sway your opinion one way or another.

Why should we have to be a goody two shoes all the time?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Claim the gifts for ourselves. Sacrifice them to Rerak not for the villagers' sake, but for our own. Grant me the power I am due!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

Claim the gifts for ourselves. Sacrifice them to Rerak not for the villagers' sake, but for our own. Grant me the power I am due!

Lol, changing my vote to this hypocritical selfishness.

Do it until we decide if this God really exists.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Tentatively refuse the gifts. If you have resources to spare after everything is said and done, give them to those who need. If you are in need, then you should not devastate yourself in the hopes of earning love which you already have.

Piety!

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

+1 This. The power of earth is the power to make that which resides above it stronger.

Cultivate a strong sense of personal destiny.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

This is a placeholder. It holds places.

When the first person offered you a personal “donation” to the temple, it came as something of a surprise. Shock quickly gave way to planning however. You accepted the gifts, offering many an assurance, then offered the goods up to Rerak for your own glory. It never even occurred to you to feel guilt, it wasn’t as if you were keeping the gifts. Besides, you know of the moment of silence that heralded your birth now, and it’s very possible you are just receiving your due. As for the villagers who gave you those gifts? You would not extend them any extra benefit in the future.

————

There are many tales of Rerak and man, and some are not told to those who simply worship. Some stories are told only to those who clearly believe with a whole heart. Others are told only to those who enter Rerak’s service. The stories of other gods, the tales of doubters, the whispered words of those who Rerak struck against, instead of for. You learn of the Lost Village, sunk into the earth after a downpour. You learn of totems, items believed to be shaped directly by a god’s hand, a focus for their will in the world. You also learn that your people once believed that Rerak and the Plainsgod were enemies, and they went against the will of the priest of Rerak when they allowed the refugees to stay in Makil, only abandoning the belief when no disaster struck the village. Now, the priests believe the two to have allied against some greater threat, a god of desert and sun, of baking heat and wandering lost.

Beyond the tales and stories, many practical things were taught to you. You learned that the best sacrifice to Rerak is that which draws it’s strength directly from the earth, preferably things that grow with man’s aid. Second most favored are those animals that draw their strength from plants. Lem has heard that certain groups believe in sacrificing manblood to Rerak, but personally believes Rerak finds the blood of man, even freely offered, unappetizing at best. Man is too far removed from the strength flowing out of the earth for his blood and body to be a worthy sacrifice. You learn to prepare a sacrifice, to anoint it before the totem, and to burn it and bury deep the ashes, that Rerak might be pleased.

————

This morning, the might of Rerak was felt in a way no living man remembered. The earth roared and quaked, shaking like the doom of cities. Screams rent the air as houses crumbled under the assault, and panicked animals screeched and ran amok. Entire herds scattered in stampedes, houses collapsed and many people were injured or died. But worst of all, as the village came together to treat the injured, mourn the dead, and generally attempt to make sense of their lives, the flow of water through the river slowed, then stopped, leaving only a muddy bed and dying fish. Already in shock, this loss drove many villagers into near catatonia. The spirit of Makil nearly broke completely this day.

You are in the temple, cleaning, as you do most every morning, along with Lem and several of the villagers. As the first shocks hit, Lem calls out in surprise, “To the totem! It will shield us from this tremor!” He and the other villagers begin running towards the totem chamber, housed at the back of the temple.

What do you do?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Go out of the temple, stand in the middle of the street (away from any buildings) and loudly praise and thank Rerak for his blessing.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Help move the injured and unable to the totem house

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Collect fish from the mud, at least a handful, as much as you can, and bring it to the totem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

Go out of the temple, stand in the middle of the street (away from any buildings) and loudly praise and thank Rerak for his blessing.

Yeah this. Obviously he's rewarding us in some obscure fashion we don't understand.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

Haha, I'm getting a very strong "The Young Pope" (the TV show) vibe from our boy. "Surprise, motherfuckers! I'm actually an arch-conservative who's doubling down on the concepts of mystery and sacrifice. Fail to heed me, Rerak's word incarnate, at your tremendous peril."

But uh yeah, +1 this. Wonder if and when Lem will try to rein us in.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mithross posted:

Second most favored are those animals that draw their strength from plants. Lem has heard that certain groups believe in sacrificing manblood to Rerak, but personally believes Rerak finds the blood of man, even freely offered, unappetizing at best. Man is too far removed from the strength flowing out of the earth for his blood and body to be a worthy sacrifice.

Sooo..... Who wants to sacrifice a vegan to our hungry God?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

This update brought to you by the letters F, F, and U (for Final Fantasy and Unemployment)

The earth roared as it shook, a great wall of sound crashing against your senses. The roar of Rerak’s pleasure. For you knew that he loved you, and you knew that whatever he did, it was a blessing (albeit one in disguise). And so instead of seeking shelter from his wrath, you walked forth from the temple, to better embrace the wonder of Rerak, even as Lem pleaded with you to retreat to safety. You walked out into the center of the street, stumbling and falling, until you stood as best you could in the center of Rerak’s wonder, and shouted loudly your praises and thanks for the glory he had sent you. You are pretty sure this would have been considered brave and amazingly pious, had anybody been in place to notice. You see the destruction of the town first hand, hear the horrified screams, the bleating animals, the collapse of homes, and through it all you pray, believing that it is a blessing, that this will come right, that all will be well.

After the shaking stopped Lem found you and forced you to go and lie down, promising that you would hear about this later.

That night, once the damage has been assessed, the elders of Makil met in Rerak’s temple. The villagers still haven’t recovered from the numbness of shock, the overload of horror that has enveloped the town, but your uncle and the others have come together to try and decide what must be done. Without the river, it is doubtful your people will be able to grow enough food to maintain the village, even with trade, and the herds, pride of Makil, were decimated by the quake, panicked animals stampeded and shelters collapsed. Many animals are injured, and many more have scattered far and wide. Some may make their way back in time, but if the other villages have faired as badly, you expect that any animals they find will be swiftly eaten.

As the acolyte of Rerak, as well as Saul’s nephew, you will be present for the meeting. But for now, You have some time to spare. Lem told you to go and rest until tonight, but it wasn’t an “order”, and he likes you quite a bit. You could probably get away with leaving the temple, especially if you plan on helping out. Even if you don’t, help out, it’s unlikely you’ll get anything other than a more severe talking to, which you’re already lined up for after your praise of Rerak’s blessing.

How do you kill time until the meeting? And what, if anything, do you want to talk about at the meeting tonight?
(You can be reasonably certain the meeting will include topics such as “How not to starve”, “Why did this happen to us” and “How to rebuild our collapsed town”)

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

(1) Take inventory. What do our "gifts" consist of? Mostly perishables?
(2) Recall whose lands we would run into first if one was to follow the river upstream.
(3) At the meeting, be the ugly voice of reason. This is a call from Rerak for us to carry out a mass migration.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
It's time to take everything and go elsewhere. All of us. No-one, no herdbeast left behind. We do Rerak's will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Ceramic Shot posted:

(1) Take inventory. What do our "gifts" consist of? Mostly perishables?
(2) Recall whose lands we would run into first if one was to follow the river upstream.
(3) At the meeting, be the ugly voice of reason. This is a call from Rerak for us to carry out a mass migration.

1) The gifts you received consisted mostly of perishables, which you then sacrificed to Rerak for your own glory.
2) The next town north is Kelet, a matriarchal society. They're the poorest of the four villages in the area, struggling to provide enough food for themselves, much less enough to trade. They mine a little copper, but it isn't a rich vein.

(I don't know how I let so long go by without updating. I am just bad at life.)

• Locked thread