Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
bullshit. my flavor is "Stuck In A Budget Meeting", not boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
that does sound boring

it also sounds like something you just made up

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I dream of budget meetings every single night

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
what's your favorite budgeting software?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

this is a stickup posted:

what's your favorite budgeting software?

you need a budget

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
budget some more votes my way and turbo me before 2017, imo

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Why is the white noise machine in setup 4, where there is no cult? Does that mean that this is a semi-bastard setup where we're not actually playing one of the four setups in the OP?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Why is the white noise machine in setup 4, where there is no cult? Does that mean that this is a semi-bastard setup where we're not actually playing one of the four setups in the OP?

yeah I saw that too. my conclusion was it must be to add a layer of uncertainty so it may be harder to tell if there is a cult or not. that role would be in the place of a vt anyway.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Role fishing already, right off the back of an already scummy first post?

Woooooooooooooow I'd hate to be your scumbro.

2 posts and you already hosed your team over :lol:

##vote Tobbs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm pretty tanked so I have a magic power called "seeing through the veil of horseshit"

It's pretty sweet

Everyone gets super powers in 2017

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Infinitum posted:

I'm pretty tanked so I have a magic power called "seeing through the veil of horseshit"

It's pretty sweet

Everyone gets super powers in 2017

Can't wait to get off work tonight and become plastered.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

yeah I saw that too. my conclusion was it must be to add a layer of uncertainty so it may be harder to tell if there is a cult or not. that role would be in the place of a vt anyway.

My first assumption is that it's a simple mistake (the doctor in 3 should be a WNM, and the WNM in 4 should be a doc).

We (town) are at a disadvantage because scum knows a lot more about the setup due to their team size/composition.

However, since the number of VTs are limited, can help reveal the setup, and could catch scum in a lie, here goes.

I am a vanilla townie :) (that's 1)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

However, since the number of VTs are limited, can help reveal the setup, and could catch scum in a lie, here goes.

:cripes:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i'm willing to believe tobbs is dumb not scum but he's not doing a great job of vindicating those beliefs

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

:lol: yes let's reveal all the townies so scum know who the power roles are. I'll be right back after a dozen posts of everyone claiming VT.

##vote Tobbs

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I have very little to add to this discussion about if Tobbs is scum, but his idea is a bad one.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Morning, goons! There was a deer pooping in my backyard when I woke up this morning, it's going to be a good day.

not gonna lie, I would be okay with this

Why would you be ok with this? Don't you want to play in the game you signed up for?

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

We (town) are at a disadvantage because scum knows a lot more about the setup due to their team size/composition.

The first sentence is a fallacy; with the exception of possibly Scum B, no one would know which sentence we're in the start the game because there are overlaps (Scum B have a 50% chance to know due to unique team comp in scenario 1 and 4). However, scum have a chance to learn which scenario we're in earlier by promoting claims.

The second sentence promotes claims. To learn the scenario, all scum needs to know is the number of VTs since there is a unique combination of scum roles and number of VTs. Oh, look, a request for VT claims!

##vote Tobbs

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I hosted an open setup game. Town quickly picked off most of the scum simply by claiming their roles, because scum didn't want to get caught lying.

I'm not suggesting that, but remember there's a 50% chance of there being 2 scum teams with 2 players each, so the argument that I'm "outing town power roles" is dumb. If we have only 2 or three VT's, and the other ones decided to claim, it would also be more likely that scum would hit each other.

If we have 4 we're in a cult game and VT's are perfect recruitment targets that you should keep an eye on.

Lynch me if you want, but there's more upside than downside to me claiming my role, which is why I did it.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Byers2142 posted:

Why would you be ok with this? Don't you want to play in the game you signed up for?

of course, but I would have been very entertained if that actually happened, and the chance is so slim I'm fine with posting about it

all of this about tobbs makes sense, but I absolutely could see tobbs honestly believing this is a good idea

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading an old game where Mills determined who all the scum were on Day 1 via a massclaim in an open setup. That being said, I helped look over this setup and I THINK it's at least mildly resistant to early massclaims - claiming too early can lead to bad stuff like cults spiraling out of control.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I dunno, I feel like I've never actually seen Tobbs lie in a Mafia game before (or be scum) and claiming VT is exactly what I'd expect him to do if he were VT.

##vote KB for lurking :)

Also hi Byers! Long time no see!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Revolver posted:

one last ride of 2016

also

this is scum post, knowing what i know from my own PM

##vote stickup

Absurd Revolver posted:

nice try

as someone who ran a little game called BORING COREY i'd like to think i'm somewhat of an expert on BORING things

my flavor is boring, and i am town. i'm going to surmise from this that other town players are probably boring as well.

your post does not match up with that assumption, thus u are scum

##vote AR This is a scum fake case. The OP explicitly says flavor is meaningless.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also yeah this is town Tobbs. Inf looks bad/dumb for jumping on him, as do bird/byers - but I don't think they've played with him before, so they don't know better. Inf, on the other hand, is hiding behind 'lol i drunk' as an excuse for a bad push.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dear FL: Please add the Votefinder image to the OP. Thanks!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Lol at this point I'm the only claimed VT. I for one would like to know if we're playing a cult game or not. Two of the setups don't have cops, so the cult setup with no WNM is probably legitimate.

With doctors/jailors in the game the lack of two NKs wouldn't exactly be definitive, unless you want to wait a couple nights and see if there are two kills eventually?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Lol at this point I'm the only claimed VT. I for one would like to know if we're playing a cult game or not. Two of the setups don't have cops, so the cult setup with no WNM is probably legitimate.

With doctors/jailors in the game the lack of two NKs wouldn't exactly be definitive, unless you want to wait a couple nights and see if there are two kills eventually?

I kind of feel like you're jumping the gun on trying to figure out the setup on d1 but I appreciate the effort.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I hosted an open setup game. Town quickly picked off most of the scum simply by claiming their roles, because scum didn't want to get caught lying.

I'm not suggesting that, but remember there's a 50% chance of there being 2 scum teams with 2 players each, so the argument that I'm "outing town power roles" is dumb. If we have only 2 or three VT's, and the other ones decided to claim, it would also be more likely that scum would hit each other.

If we have 4 we're in a cult game and VT's are perfect recruitment targets that you should keep an eye on.

Lynch me if you want, but there's more upside than downside to me claiming my role, which is why I did it.

It's not dumb, you're suggesting an option that outs town power roles; even in the most advantageous scenario (scenario 1), claiming all VT and assuming scum don't lie (which is a whopper of an assumption, but let's roll with it) leads to six non-VT exposed. Four of those are town, one of those being the Doctor which in that setup would be the scum's number 1 target. So suddenly the danger for each power role goes from 1/11 to 1/6. If I'm scum, I want that to happen.

Add to that the idea that cult would target VTs, which is simply not true. Cult wants to recruit power roles, it helps the cult.

If you want an example of why this is a bad idea, check out the game I played (as scum) in Engineers versus... something. Executives? Assholes? Anyway, as scum we got near perfect game knowledge by the end of D1 then lied our way to a perfect scum victory in three more days. If you give the scum knowledge, all it takes is talented liars (a skill Mafia trains you in) to twist everything to your favor as scum.

Podima posted:

I remember reading an old game where Mills determined who all the scum were on Day 1 via a massclaim in an open setup. That being said, I helped look over this setup and I THINK it's at least mildly resistant to early massclaims - claiming too early can lead to bad stuff like cults spiraling out of control.

Mills is a special person, with flashes of brilliance backed by the usually goon insanities and a few that are his own special brand. Plus, if it's the game I'm remembering, the setup was done in such a way that the only role that was absolutely required to know he was right was the role Mills, himself, had.

Murmur Twin posted:

I dunno, I feel like I've never actually seen Tobbs lie in a Mafia game before (or be scum) and claiming VT is exactly what I'd expect him to do if he were VT.

##vote KB for lurking :)

Also hi Byers! Long time no see!

Hi, Murmur! How've you been?

I can't remember ever playing with Tobbs, you sure on the read that he'd do this as town?

Podima posted:

##vote AR This is a scum fake case. The OP explicitly says flavor is meaningless.

I read that as jokephase white noise, myself.

Podima posted:

Also yeah this is town Tobbs. Inf looks bad/dumb for jumping on him, as do bird/byers - but I don't think they've played with him before, so they don't know better. Inf, on the other hand, is hiding behind 'lol i drunk' as an excuse for a bad push.

##unvote

Ok, Murmur and Podima both say Tobbs would do this as VT. That does raise a few posts to the level of suspicious, though, back in a few. Also, hi Podima!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Don't power roles lose their power when they become cult?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

Dear FL: Please add the Votefinder image to the OP. Thanks!

This has been added. Thanks for unearthing another bug in Votefinder as well!

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
tobbs acting scummy as town doesn't seem unusual to me. same for ar.

i can kind of see tobbs point, don't agree now is a good time though.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Ok, let's start from a position that Tobbs is telling the truth. There are two ways scum would react; either push to lynch him for a dumb but heartfelt town plan or hedge their bets and post waffling opinions to let it play out. If I'm scum, I'd lean to option two, see if anyone else is going to claim first. Podima made the list of people who jumped on Tobbs, but for the second group we have the wafflers:

Absurd Revolver posted:

i'm willing to believe tobbs is dumb not scum but he's not doing a great job of vindicating those beliefs

Li Dawny posted:

I have very little to add to this discussion about if Tobbs is scum, but his idea is a bad one.

of course, but I would have been very entertained if that actually happened, and the chance is so slim I'm fine with posting about it

all of this about tobbs makes sense, but I absolutely could see tobbs honestly believing this is a good idea

If Tobbs is town, at least one of these three players is going to flip scum.

My first choice would be stickup out of the three; he (stickup, let me know if it's she, and sorry for the gender confusion if it is) took the path of nonresistance to an early suggestion of a turbo, which is actually a great way to defuse a turbo. And when I questioned him on it, his response shows he thought about the chances ("the chance is so slim") as part of it. A seemingly throw-away post with some hidden consideration behind it, combined with being a waffler, makes stickup a prime scum candidate.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Don't power roles lose their power when they become cult?

No, not usually. That's why cults are dangerous in a fullclaim situation.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Byers2142 posted:

I read that [Absurd Revolver's push/vote] as jokephase white noise, myself.

The fact that he referenced his PM and pushed it in 2 separate posts elevates it beyond jokephase white noise to me, IMO.

Also hi Byers! I can't remember if we've ever played together but it's nice to have you back!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Absurd Revolver posted:

one last ride of 2016

also

this is scum post, knowing what i know from my own PM

##vote stickup

Can you extrapolate a bit on how stickups post gave you a scum read?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

No, not usually. That's why cults are dangerous in a fullclaim situation.

Oh huh I have to retract this, mafiascum wiki says that people who are recruited lose their previous role identities. The SA Mafia wiki says that it could go either way. Still, I'd prefer to assume a worst-case scenario - I've been recruited into a cult as a power role before.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Podima posted:

The fact that he referenced his PM and pushed it in 2 separate posts elevates it beyond jokephase white noise to me, IMO.

Also hi Byers! I can't remember if we've ever played together but it's nice to have you back!

That's a fair read.

And we have, I think you even killed me one time!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Podima posted:

Oh huh I have to retract this, mafiascum wiki says that people who are recruited lose their previous role identities. The SA Mafia wiki says that it could go either way. Still, I'd prefer to assume a worst-case scenario - I've been recruited into a cult as a power role before.

I've seen it both ways, but always assume the worst until we learn different.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Byers2142 posted:

Ok, let's start from a position that Tobbs is telling the truth. There are two ways scum would react; either push to lynch him for a dumb but heartfelt town plan or hedge their bets and post waffling opinions to let it play out. If I'm scum, I'd lean to option two, see if anyone else is going to claim first. Podima made the list of people who jumped on Tobbs, but for the second group we have the wafflers:

If Tobbs is town, at least one of these three players is going to flip scum.

My first choice would be stickup out of the three; he (stickup, let me know if it's she, and sorry for the gender confusion if it is) took the path of nonresistance to an early suggestion of a turbo, which is actually a great way to defuse a turbo. And when I questioned him on it, his response shows he thought about the chances ("the chance is so slim") as part of it. A seemingly throw-away post with some hidden consideration behind it, combined with being a waffler, makes stickup a prime scum candidate.

i don't think i agree with you on ar and lil dawney at this stage - little dawney esp. said the idea was a bad one which doesn't fit your read of scum hedging and hoping others claim. it would be more advantageous to say nothing i think.

the stickup case is a little more convincing. however the 'one of these three are scum' call is suss to me generally, can easily be used by scum - for example, you could be scum with ar, throwing his name into the ring for cover/bus cred, and both gunning for stickup.

obviously this is early game yet. i will be interested to see what kash and kb say..

hello also : )

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Byers2142 posted:

I read that as jokephase white noise, myself.
I definitely was posting white noise, but AR read to me as if he was throwing it out there to see if it stuck and picked up momentum when I already had votes on me.

quote:

Ok, Murmur and Podima both say Tobbs would do this as VT. That does raise a few posts to the level of suspicious, though, back in a few. Also, hi Podima!

Byers2142 posted:

Ok, let's start from a position that Tobbs is telling the truth. There are two ways scum would react; either push to lynch him for a dumb but heartfelt town plan or hedge their bets and post waffling opinions to let it play out.

so here is my question, what exactly have I waffled on? your points were well laid out and logical, but that's not what I'm reading out of tobbs, who thinks up things like this as a town player.

I'm not giving you my vague non-opinion or saying I have nothing to add; I acknowledged your points but disagree that tobbs seems like scum based on them

I'm more wary of you right now than tobbs. that clear enough? one of these three players will flip scum, in other words, when you lynch me and I flip town, you can come out and say 'Oh, must've been one of the other two!', then proceed right on pushing the chain lynches you've set up.

quote:

I think you're over thinking this. no one was legit going to turbo me within hours of game start. AR's posts are pinging me so hard because he seemed to be serious about it, while Inf and omg didn't have a real case or reason to turbo me.

I admittedly over consider everything, but there really wasn't anything to even consider here. it's not like someone posted that they tracked me to a dead player and I was actually about to be turbo'd.

but it would've been funny :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you extrapolate a bit on how stickups post gave you a scum read?

not without revealing role information that would be disadvantageous to town

• Locked thread