Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

BSam posted:

episode 1
holy poo poo that's not who they are at all!

Just finished ep 1, and that was a surprise. So is the mysterious woman in the promos with the gun Esme?

I love the cast and the show is good so far, but I'm afraid my opinion on Patrick Warburton as Lemony hasn't changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 2
that was great, almost perfect, only the sunny playing poker bit didn't quite ring right.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

BSam posted:

episode 1
holy poo poo that's not who they are at all!

I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems like it's too hopeful a development when compared with the tone of the books.

discussion of the first two episodes, also some stuff from the books that might show up in the future
I noticed the emphasis on the word 'bell' after Justice Strauss saw the spyglass. anyone catch if there was a Sebald code there?

the little references to the books' metaplot were all great. And the scene with all the names spinning around Lemony makes me look forward to what they have planned for the future.

also, "I told you never to say that name!' :allears:

Oh yeah, was Jacqueline in the books in any capacity? Obviously that whole plot was added in, but was Mr Poe's secretary even mentioned?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Almost finished Episode 2, not a book reader but I know a bit about the plot/story. The show is good so far, I'm liking the production design of locations, making them look somewhat like a theater set, or a model town.

Patrick Warburton is great.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
drat, I was hoping to finish reading the books before sitting down to binge the show but I've still got half of The Penultimate Peril to go. Guess I have a bit longer to wait.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Season one is only the first ...four... books so NBD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 1

Oh my god they actually reference Eleanora Poe as the editor of the Daily Punctilio. Eeee

Of course they changed her to his wife instead of his sister but that's fine

E: Holy poo poo that ending, what??

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 13, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 2

God the Hook-handed Man is so perfect. He's the most important of Olaf's associates and they nailed him.

fractalairduct posted:

Oh yeah, was Jacqueline in the books in any capacity? Obviously that whole plot was added in, but was Mr Poe's secretary even mentioned?

No she wasn't in the books at all. Very curious where they're going with her. RIP Gustav

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 13, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about that. It seems like it's too hopeful a development when compared with the tone of the books.

Episode 3, slight book spoilers

Note the dedication at the beginning.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

IMPORTANT: It took me until episode 5 to notice but each episode has a slightly different theme song! Don't let Netflix skip them!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 3, and also the books

I think Jacquelyn is meant to be Jacques Snicket: she seems too hostile/cognizant of who Olaf is for her being Kit Snicket to work. I also theorize that the Baudelaire parents are going to die in front of the Baudelaires in a Hannibal S2-esque tragedy.

Also, Aasif Mandvi's Billy Connolly voice is on point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Poe's utter and complete worthlessness is just amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Episode 7

Holy loving poo poo the Quagmire parent reveal lmao

They played me like a drat fiddle

Seriously this was so unbelievably brilliant that it changed it from practically perfect to absolutely perfect. I have no complaints

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 13, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Great ending, great season, they knew exactly what they were doing. God I'm so excited how am I gonna wait another year.

Episode 8
The introduction of the Quagmires to top off the season makes it feel like a very logical place to end. I was thinking it made sense anyway since they first show up in book 5, but actually building them into a side plot of the season and demonstrating their importance at the end was a great touch.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Watching the series right now, on episode 3. Gustav was weirdly hot for someone who plays such a minor role in the books. Also I loved Olaf calling the movies a "godforsaken nickelodeon". Patrick Warburton and NPH initially struck me as weird choices but they work pretty well.

BSam posted:

episode 2
that was great, almost perfect, only the sunny playing poker bit didn't quite ring right.

It's those god drat CG baby hands.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh god, I found this thread late but these books were also one of the best parts of my elementary/middle-school (and I guess some high school-- the last one only came out in 2006?) experience. I really only liked the movie for its design, but was still disappointed when they scrapped any plans for sequels, so I've been looking forward to this for a long time and I'm so happy it's getting good buzz instead of being just another disappointment.

I remember that the last illustration in each book had the clue about the next one-- I kind of hope they include something like that here. Part of the fun of the books for me was the mystery, and putting things together (or trying to) on a re-read.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1x01

Good lord, I remember Poe being largely useless in the books but this is just something else. And man is his family extremely rude. I'm surprised how normal his kids seem to be considering their parents.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm begging you, don't watch this show. It will ruin all other television for you.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
1x01/all books
the world's most threatening fungus

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was only aware of these books by name until now, but one look at that cast and I am on board. And I guess it's up already, yay. Just last week I was whining because there is no good tv to watch right now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

1x01/all books

There's so much stuff like this and I'm just giggling all the time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did not remember Justice Strauss wearing an old timey wig all the time from the books. But I guess since the adults are a lot of strange almost... eh, caricatures I guess, it fits in along with the other stuff. Still can't help but grin when they move the camera away to let Sunny do weird teeth stuff.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Having finished it I was surprised that 1x07/08Sir and Charles relationship comes across as far less ambiguous in the show, perhaps because it's harder to disguise what's going on with a visual medium than a written one.

All in all though it is a very good rendition of the books and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

DoctorWhat posted:

1x01/all books

wow, i completely missed that one

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
This is such a fantastic version of the books. Every elaboration they've made has been on point and equally as hearbreaking Like HOLY gently caress that episode 8,

The elaborations they've made on the books have been in entirely the right places. Even the future nods have been amazing and probably subtle enough tat most first time viewers aren't gonna consider em' til we're in-depth next season. Even Patrick Harris who at first I thought was a lil' unthreatening' really delights to the point that I have no complaints once he's in costume.

I'm more inclined to re-read the series after being an adamant fan growing up now than ever. Such a good job.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

wow, i completely missed that one

Furthermore, Strauss said that her library covered (all books spoiler) Italian pasta to the most threatening fungus— in other words, the first challenge the Baudelaires face after leaving the library (making the dinner) to the final in Book 13 with curing the Medusoid Mycelium. From A to Z, beginning to end.

I am loving this so so so much.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Great ending, great season, they knew exactly what they were doing. God I'm so excited how am I gonna wait another year.

Episode 8
The introduction of the Quagmires to top off the season makes it feel like a very logical place to end. I was thinking it made sense anyway since they first show up in book 5, but actually building them into a side plot of the season and demonstrating their importance at the end was a great touch.

Yeah, I agree; all spoilers book and show while I first thought that it seemed a little deceptive to do so, like all the timeline stuff in Westworld, I'm kind of pleased that they turned out to be the Quagmires. Seems like the two sets of orphans' stories will dovetail nicely next season (though, am I misremembering, or wasn't Quigley older than Duncan and Isadora? Why do they have one boy playing double duty?)

It was also great to see Esme pop up, especially right after Count Olaf swore off having any future partners. Overall I really enjoy how many future topics are being seeded this season. The cab driver is definitely going to show back up in season 3 when they cover The End. I also noticed Count Olaf refer in ep 7 to a woman who might've been Kit Snicket, although it would've also worked as Dr. Orwell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Having never read the books or anything, I just finished episode one and it was cool. I dig the narrative style and everything. But I just can't get invested in the story and I don't know why. I'll give episode 2 a try.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 3 is really good.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
So, one dilemma I've found myself in has been trying to differentiate this tale from LOST.

Both have very attractive mysteries that eventually have no directly written payofff.

Talkin' bout dat sugar bowl, or VFD, or everything else in this universe.

I think Handler handled it more appropriately in that the contents never amount to more than the actions taken to secure' em', but I'm curious to hear others thoughts on it. Why are the unsolved mystery's of this series so compelling?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
1x02 "Cobie Smulders as MOTHER" is an insanely good joke btw.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Mameluke posted:

am I misremembering, or wasn't Quigley older than Duncan and Isadora? Why do they have one boy playing double duty?

book spoilers
they're triplets. Quigley was the first born, but that wouldn't make much of a difference.

they shouldn't be identical, but that's another issue altogether.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

1x02 "Cobie Smulders as MOTHER" is an insanely good joke btw.

I don't get it.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

this is loving garbage

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

this is loving garbage

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rocksicles posted:

I don't get it.

In the final book, it's revealed that their mother was Beatrice, the person Lemony Snicket was obsessed with and dedicated each book to.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Krazyface posted:

In the final book, it's revealed that their mother was Beatrice, the person Lemony Snicket was obsessed with and dedicated each book to.

I'm pretty sure the joke (and I'm fairly certain it's not a deliberate joke at all) is the rampant speculation that Cobie Smulders' character on How I Met Your Mother would turn out to be the titular mother.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

the aesthetics are horrid, a complete mismatch of styles and time periods (love the neon green subtitles for sunny, very sensible). when at its most competent it apes heavily from the movie and just looks aenemic as a result. the books were timeless in that they had no established setting but were obviously based on an alt-history 20s vibe. even the movie understood this

somehow they manage to ruin the pacing on the first book and include some unnecessary flashbacks. how you gently caress up the easiest of the books to adapt, a very straightforward story, i have no idea

i can't believe i'm saying this but nph makes a worse olaf than jim carrey, wow

patrick warburton as snicket, whatever, doesn't really work but okay. having him as an omnipresent narrator in scenes is loving stupid poo poo

violet and klaus are bland. i can't spur up any sort of enthusiasm or disparage them in any way, they just exist

seeing lots of reviews about how 'clever' the series is. it wasn't. i don't think it really gets what makes that series fantastic. i think taking a series about a love of literature, shredding away the references and marketing it for tv audiences is a weird option. the netflix series writes all these references in that mean nothing

oh poo poo they mentioned fungus like in book x! how clever! let's just throw in a james brown lyric, this definitely works in the same way

my only positive is that olaf's troupe is a bit more interesting this time around. the hook handed man is perfect

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I couldn't disagree more. This show understands and captures the source material better than any book adaptation I've ever seen.

Like, Lemony Snicket as an omnipresent narrator is ripped straight out of the books. The majority of his lines are quotes from the beginnings of each chapter. He even does things like interrupting dramatic moments and spoiling future events precisely in the way they played out in the books. Everything about his role in the show was perfect in my opinion.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

snicket is also an in-universe character following the long cold trail of the baudelaires, it's jarring to have him show up on screen with them.

it's been years since i last read the books but from my recollection snicket doesn't say anything to suggest it's not a real story. his interrupts make more sense because it's a book he's writing and a story he's telling

again the movie made way more sense of it by having him disconnected inside a room- he still influences how the story is told in moments like the happy elf part at the beginning as the film makes it clear that the story you are watching is one he is writing down on the typewriter

here snicket just pops up wherever like a magical time wizard. it accomplishes nothing a voice over wouldn't

you can make the comparison that the set is being treated as a stage and it looks like tht might be the intention with the set design but it's such a trite and boring concept

• Locked thread