Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Well, this is just awful, isn't it? I wonder what's going to happen now? I hope nothing else bad happens...

This

Two people, dead in this mansion! That‘s pretty awful, wouldn't you say?

Anything

Anything else...?

With the situation in this mansion, I get the feeling something else bad is going to happen, that's all...

Get the feeling

It‘s just my sixth sense. It's pretty often right, too.

Something else bad

Something else bad?

Would you be shocked if I said I thought somebody else was going to die...?

Somebody

I don't know who’s going to die. That’s because I'm not the murderer...

Back to the “Anything” topic.

The situation

Denemon dies and the whole family gets together after such a long time...but they don't even try to talk to each other. And now that this has happened to Takako, it's the same thing. Everybody withdraws into their own shells. I wonder why? It's a strange family...

Come to think of it, there was some trouble between Kanae and Marie about the piano this morning, right? I hear you were there, too.

There

Kanae told me. She said you probably felt sorry for Marie...said it was because Marie was good at winning people's sympathy.

Marie

I don't know why, but Kanae really seems to dislike Marie. I hear they‘ve never gotten along, ever since they were little kids.

Piano

I hear Kanae once asked Denemon if she could have that piano, but he flat-out refused.

Kanae

If you're looking for Kanae, she isn't in the Iris Room. She left, saying she wanted to be alone. She usually wants me to stay right beside her, but all of a sudden, she said she wanted to be alone. Maybe she has a secret...

Right beside her

When I'm with Kanae, she can convince herself that I love her.

To be alone

I like being alone. I used to always be alone...

A secret

A secret?

That's right...Everyone has a secret or two they want to hide. Kanae has secrets, too. I would never pry them out of her. But you just have to know, is that it? Kanae is probably in the Lily Room. That's the room her mother used to use.

Kaidou proceeds to walk away from the Iris Room.

The Back Passage can be accessed either through the door opposite the Poppy Room, or from the stairs on the Back Landing.

Oh...

I lost something.

Lost something

You lost something?

You wouldn't understand. I'm just looking for a treasure of mine.

Wouldn't understand

You‘ve never lived in this mansion, so you don't have any memories here.

Treasure

A treasure of yours?

That's right...It was something I loved when I was little.

Something you loved when you were little?

It‘s a doll Father bought me. I thought I left it in this room...Maybe Kikuyo put it away somewhere...

Kikuyo

Kikuyo has been working at this mansion ever since Mother came here as a bride. Kikuyo's the only one I trust here.

A doll

Before Marie was born. Father brought it back with him from France for me.

Father

When I was little, Father‘s work was so busy, he was almost always gone.

Back to the “Treasure” conversation.

Father

Mother spent all her time in this room whenever Father was away. I have so many memories of Mother in this room...

Mother

Mother was so kind while she was here...

Memories

Mother...

Why should I tell you about Mother and me? I'm starting to get a headache.

Before we leave, we need to get a key from the cabinet Kanae was standing in front of.

The box shown in the vision is in the Lily Anteroom.

Video: A gentle push.

Mask

What could it be doing here...?

Maybe Mr. Yoshinodou did it...

Mr. Yoshinodou

Mr. Yoshinodou's death wasn't a peaceful one.

Did it

Mr. Yoshinodou did it...? What do you mean?

Yes, I can feel his presence...ever since Mr. Yoshinodou died...

Presence

His presence...?

Yes. I can feel Mr. Yoshinodou's spirit hanging over this mansion...

Spirit

His spirit...?

That's right.

Can't you hear it, Madam?

I can't hear anything...

I'm sure Mr. Yoshinodou wants you to know, Madam...He wants you to understand his pain...his frustration...

No...No!

Kikuyo leaves.

Kazuya, I...I think I might have...him...

Him

Him...?

I might have...to him...I don't know...but maybe...No...I did...to him...

Ayako, what are you talking about? Who do you mean by “him”?

He...said so...

But I...Oh, I just don't know...!

You don't look very well. You'd better go back to your room and rest.

All right...

Hachiya guides Ayako upstairs.

Denemon's mask...Who could have put it here...?

I keep uncovering more and more mysteries...

Who attacked me on the staircase? What is Ayako so frightened of? Kanae has such a strange attitude...

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Take poison to knock yourself out and see what your family does when you're dead" seems like a suitable demented rich guy occupation.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

The Bellflower Room is locked right now, so head back out into the Great Hall and...

Video: Mizuho Takase.

Don't you know who I am?

Who I am

What?

Haven‘t you ever seen me before? People only ever remember the leading actresses, I guess...

I'm Mizuho Takase. Tsuyako is here somewhere, right?

Tsuyako

You know, the actress, Tsuyako Sawamatsu. You know who she is, right? Tsuyako is so talented! She can perform any role at all, and so well, too! And she's so attractive...

Tsuyako heard from the president that the chairman had died, so she came here. But when she didn't return this morning, I got worried. That's why I decided to come here, too.

The president

The president and Tsuyako seem to be so close! They have meals together a lot, things like that.

The chairman

I'd never actually met the chairman...

Back to the “Who I am” topic.

Mizuho Takase

Mizuho Takase...?

That's right. Mizuho Takase. Pretty nice name, don't you think? Now I hope you remember it! I’m a new actress, under exclusive contract to New World Cinema. I’m still in training, but I'll be famous before you know it!

A new actress

I only get supporting roles right now, but I'm planning on winning a leading role next year.

Still in training

Right now, I'm studying acting and being an assistant to Tsuyako. Until I became an actress, I'd never assisted anyone with anything, so it's really hard.

New World Cinema

I graduated from the New World Cinema acting school for women, in Asakusa. I hear Denemon fell in love with his second wife at first sight, when she was at that same school.

Oh, Mr. Yoshikawa! Tsuyako never came home. I was starting to get worried...

Not now. Something terrible has happened here!

Something terrible...?

Takako is... She's... dead!

What?! Takako?! I can't believe it! How...? What happened...?

I... I... ah....

Kiyohiko walks off, Mizuho chases after him.

I heard music coming out of this study...

My father... often used to listen to that symphony...

My father

Ever since my father got injured... he stayed holed up in this room...

My father

I respected the man Denemon Yoshinodou as an entrepreneur, but I despised him as a father...

Got injured

My father injured his face five years ago.

His face

That's why he started wearing those strange masks, because of his facial injury.

Five years ago

What happened five years ago?

It was after that great earthquake five years ago...My father was hit by the quake in Asakusa, and disappeared. We looked for him desperately, but we couldn't find him anywhere. And then three days later, he came back to this mansion on his own, with that injury. His face was burned badly...Yes... That's when my father got that horrible burn on the right half of his face.

Back to the beginning of the conversation.

That symphony

My father listened to that sad, gloomy symphony over and over again. Whenever I hear that symphony, I remember my father as he looked then and I feel awful.

As he looked then

The way he looked wearing that mask, and shutting himself up in this room.

I just can't understand why my father shut off everything he'd been about up until that point, started to avoid his family, and closed himself up in this mansion...

Katagiri approaches as soon as Takashi steps into the Great Hall.

His music is filled with suffering and despair – death premonitions.

That music I heard coming from the study... that was Mahler, wasn't it?

Mahler

Mahler was a Jewish composer, born in an out-of-the-way village in Bohemia. His music is filled with suffering and despair – death premonitions.

Death premonitions

Maybe Denemon Yoshinodou got a premonition of his own death, and that's why he called you here... Or maybe...

A premonition

Even if he did know he was going to die...if his death was fate, there wouldn't have been anything he could've done to avoid it...

His own death

What about you? Have you ever gotten a premonition of your own death?

Denemon

That's what I think.

This mansion is Denemon Yoshinodou's tomb...

Katagirl looks back over his shoulder, then leaves.

Off to visit Hideya for no apparent reason.

Doing another puzzle?

It's impossible!

Let me take a look.

Nothing happens or is said after you solve the tangram, you have to speak to Hideya to proceed.

Takako

Aunt Takako was my dad's little sister. My dad was always really nice to Aunt Takako.

Little sister

Kanae and Marie are my dad's little sisters, too, but their mother was different from my dad's mother.

Kanae

Kanae never comes to the annex. She says she hates the annex. I wonder why?

Marie

I really like Marie. She's really good at playing that piano. But my mom doesn't really like Marie...

Back to the opening topic

Kill herself

That's what that Tsuyako lady said last night, in the dining hall.

The dining hall

That was the first time we all got together here. Except Aunt Ayako wasn’t there...

That Tsuyako lady

Had you ever met Tsuyako before that?

Nope, that was the first time...But...

But...? But what...?

I saw that Tsuyako lady talking to my dad this morning, in front of the Magnolia Room. I don't know why, but my dad looked really upset...

Looked really upset

I’ve never seen my dad look that upset...like he was mad and he didn't know what to do...

The Magnolia Room

The Magnolia Room?

The room next to this one. When we used to live here, it was my room.

Oh, really?

Yeah. Hey, Kazuya, did you know there was a fire here?

A fire

A fire? There was a fire here?

Yup. Grandpa told me. Before I was born. This place caught fire, and the annex got burned.

The annex got burned...?

Yeah. But Matsunosuke put out the fire, so the Great Hall didn’t get burned. And then they rebuilt just the annex, Grandpa said.

You did it!

Yup.

You're pretty good, Kazuya.

Let's play again together sometime, okay?

Takashi leaves.

This is the door to the Magnolia Room.

Off to try find Matsunosuke.

I'm busy! I've gotta take care of the east garden today. Now beat it!

The east garden

The east garden?

You go out the front entrance and it's the garden alongside the annex. Mr. Yoshinodou used to like looking out on that garden from the study...

Mr. Yoshinodou

Mr. Yoshinodou knew all about trees and flowers. He appreciated the finer things, you know.

The annex

Alongside the annex...?

That's right. I once planted a real nice hedge around that annex. But it got taken out when the annex was rebuilt...

Hedge

It was one of the finest hedges you'd ever hope to see! But Hideo was going to use the annex, and he said he didn't need no hedges.

Rebuilt

When the annex was rebuilt...?

You heard me. Actually, there was a fire at this mansion a long time ago, and part of the annex got burned. When Hideo and Youko got married, Mr. Yoshinodou had the annex rebuilt so they could live there.

Hideo

Hideo hasn't got what it takes to be a leader. He'll never be like Mr. Yoshinodoul

Youko

That woman takes absolutely no notice of me!

Fire

There was a fire...?

That was when Mr. Yoshinodou was away from the mansion for a long time. In those days, Madam Yurie was using the annex. I found the fire first, and I did everything I could to put it out. I rescued Madam Yurie, who was sick in bed, and Miss Marie--just a baby at the time.

Yurie

Madam Yurie was a very sensitive woman. That‘s why she was always getting sick. But Madam Yurie's sickness is none of your business. I ain't telling you nothing.

Marie

You rescued Marie?

That's right. Miss Marie was a real cute baby. Madam Yurie sure was crazy about her. So I wonder why... such a thing ended up happening...?

(Such a thing? I wonder what Matsunosuke is talking about?)

Miss Marie is such a tenderhearted person... Must be why it happened...But what am I talking to you about Miss Marie for...?

Why it happened

Why it happened? Why what happened...?

Oh... nothing. Just forget about it.

(Why what happened...? What is Matsunosuke talking about...?)

Well...

Miss Marie is...Nah, forget it.

But what am I standing around shooting the breeze with you for?

It seems to hold some secrets concerning Kanae and Marie...

What was Hideo talking to Tsuyako about...?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they must have been able to hush up a lot of things in that fire if they just went back and built right on top.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'd recognize those doors and windows anywhere--it's a takeoff of the Casa Batllo! Sure didn't expect to see that in an obscure PS2 mystery game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The optimistic young actress with a bright future and no idea what's going on in the plot seems incredibly doomed.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Something that's been irking me a bit; when you post a screenshot of a conversation, you really don't have to transcribe it too, it just leads to me reading it twice. This is just me personally though, others might like to have both. I just thought I'd mention it.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

King of Bleh posted:

The optimistic young actress with a bright future and no idea what's going on in the plot seems incredibly doomed.

More like she's going to be a killer!

Katagiri's journal is a bit confusing to me. I originally thought it made perfect sense since the journal is just stating that our hero will solve things and return to his time by the third day. But that leaves the obvious problem of where the real Kazuya is. I had assumed this was some Quantum Leap body possession but I guess not.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Thesaya posted:

Something that's been irking me a bit; when you post a screenshot of a conversation, you really don't have to transcribe it too, it just leads to me reading it twice. This is just me personally though, others might like to have both. I just thought I'd mention it.

Fair point. :) I'll try to refrain from doing that going forward.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Actually, I'm...

...looking for something?

That‘s right! How did you know? I lost one of the earrings I borrowed from Tsuyako.

Earrings?

Yes, Tsuyako let me borrow them. If 1 lose one, she's really going to be mad. I'll be in big trouble!

Do you think you could help me look for it?

Mizuho comes running up.

You found it? Oh, thank goodness!

The chairman gave Tsuyako these earrings when she appeared in her first film. They're really important mementos to her! When Tsuyako let me borrow them, this is what she said:

“Wear these, and I bet you'll be a star, too!”

Thank you so much for finding it! Well, I'd better get going.

Marie

Marie was looking for me?

Yes, that's right, sir.

Where is Marie now?

Until a little while ago, she was in the Poppy Room on the second floor. She might be somewhere near the west passage or east passages now...All I know is that she certainly seemed to be looking for you, sir.

Off to the East Passage.

Takashi automatically turns his head to look at the door opposite the Orchid Room as soon as you enter the East Passage.

The main door to the Poppy Room is locked right now.

Taking this door in the Poppy Room leads to the West Passage.

Video: The third victim.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2017

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Well, at this point it is pretty clear the butler and the maid are in on it. Looks like they are trying to set us up as the scapegoat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why is anyone looking for Kazuya, anyway? Isn't he kind of an outsider?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Glazius posted:

Why is anyone looking for Kazuya, anyway? Isn't he kind of an outsider?

All the more reason to look for him. You don't want a stranger just wandering without any idea of where he is.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Denemon's Notes solution:

For this one, we need to check the beds in the rooms with names that have the same two first letters as the sleep goddesses.

People:

Evidence:

Documents:

Denemon's diaries.

Takako's diary.

Journal:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Denemon. Dang. Survived getting caught in an earthquake. That'll break a man.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

The events of the earthquake must have left a lasting impression on Denemon; he's apparently only who accurately remembers the year it happened. The earthquake, sometimes called the Great Kanto Earthquake, is an event that actually happened on 1st September, 1923, but so far, with the exception of Denemon's diary, any time the earthquake has been mentioned in-game, it was said to have occurred in 1924/five years ago.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video A tense gathering.

I bet Tsuyako must've seen the person who murdered Takako, and that's why Tsuyako got killed.

But Tsuyako said Takako committed suicide...! Kaidou, was Takako murdered?

Hm, it is possible...

Murdered? I just can't believe it! What in the world is going on here?

Just be quiet, will you?

Hachiya, this is all on your head! If you had let us see the will, this would never have happened!

As you are aware, the reading of the will is tomorrow at 3pm. I trust you aren't in that much of a rush, Hideo, are you...?

Video: Hideo's impatience.

Who did it? And why...? And what about those footsteps in the passage that time...?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the detective is trying to play the classic Poirot "get everybody in a room" thing, but I have a feeling stuff is way too spoopy for that to really work.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Emi fades away as Mizuho approaches.

Me? No... I, um...

I didn't think you could be. There isn't anybody here!

Mr. Yoshikawa told do all about you. He said your name was Kazuya.

Kazuya

You're Takako's and the others half-brother, right? Tell me about your mother.

I...I don't even remember her...My mother died right after I was born...

Oh, really...What do you do for work?

I'm a reporter for a newspaper publishing company...

Reporter

My older brother was a newspaper reporter, too. He went along to cover the action during the Great War, but he got killed in the bombing...

The Daily Times

No, the newspaper publishing company I work for is the Tounichi Times...

Oh, really? I'm glad it's not the Daily.

Really? Why?

I'm just glad you don't work for my father's company.

My father

To tell the truth, my family has disowned me. My father didn't want me to be an actress. People think my father is a progressive-minded businessman, but...My father doesn't understand about modern culture or women working at all.

The Daily Times

It’s a newspaper publishing company in Ginza. You must have heard of it.

Back to the original topic.

Tsuyako

Mr. Yoshikawa

After taking me to Tsuyako, Mr. Yoshikawa went straight into the Orchid Room.

Room

We were in the Hydrangea Room.

Talked

What did you talk to Tsuyako about?

Was going to meet someone

I don't know where she was going to meet this person, or who she was going to meet.

Just said one thing

She said just one thing?

Yes, this is what Tsuyako said:

“Take this key.”

I don't know what the key is for. I thought about telling that police detective, Ihara, but somehow...

I don't know anything about this mansion...or the people in it, either. I just want to find out why Tsuyako was murdered. It might just be my imagination, but you seem different from the others. So that's why--

I told you not to leave your rooms!

I'm going back to my room. I'll be in the Hydrangea Room, okay?

Mizuho leaves.

Another crime... And again you're the one to find the body...Why does this keep happening?!

The body

Tsuyako's body has already been taken away.

This

People keep getting killed in this mansion. What did you think I meant?

Crime

Are you the culprit?

Of course I'm not the culprit!

No...? I don‘t have any proof yet of whether you’re the culprit or not. If I could find a bottle of potassium cyanide or a bloody vase fragment in your room...it'd be an open-and-shut case, though...

Katagiri...

Come to the Grape Room at 4:30. Just wait quietly in your room till then.

Ihara stumbles off, with Katagiri following.

What's wrong?

Takashi hands over the handkerchief.

Oh...I was looking for this. Thank you very much.

This handkerchief

This handkerchief is really important to me.

The first present

Those happy days

Back when I used to understand how my husband felt...

Things like this

No matter how unhappy we feel, they make us remember when we were happy...That's the kind of old keepsake I mean.

Treasure

This handkerchief is my treasure.

Ayako

Did you ever notice the locket Ayako always carries?

Kikuyo

Kikuyo is a hard-working maid. She runs the household so efficiently. I heard she started working at this mansion when Yurie married Father.

Ayako

She married Father for his money, but...I think she might be a very lonely person...

Locket

I've never really had the chance to talk to Ayako. I've never actually seen the locket.

Back to the opening topic.

Husband

Where is Hideo?

He isn't here. He left the room a little while ago. I wonder where he could be...? My husband hasn't spoken to Hideya or me since Takako died. No matter what I say, he just stays sullenly silent...

Sullen

He's so irritable, I can't even approach him...

Tsuyako

Tsuyako

I'd heard her name before, but I met her for the first time yesterday.

Who

I have no idea who might've killed Tsuyako... But...

But...? But what...?

No...never mind... But it's just... I...

Is something bothering you?

No, no... Nothing like that...It’s nothing... Really...

(What's bothering Youko, I wonder...?)

Anything

Youko, if something is bothering you, please tell me.

No... It's nothing... Really...Please just forget the whole thing...

(What could be bothering Youko...?)

It's nothing... Nothing at all...

Hideo...

Why did you let him in here?

Hideo storms off into the Thistle Room. We need to talk to Youko again here, but first...

I just never know what that man is thinking, what he wants...

Takashi and Youko hear something break.

What was that? Could you go and check on my husband for me?

Hand

I... hurt my hand... Don't come near me!

Vase

A vase broke?

That‘s right. A vase...

I broke a vase, and hurt my hand a little. What of it?

Nothing...It’s just that Youko was worried...

Yes, and what of that? Stay out of our business!

You’ve seen enough. Now get out of this room!

Video: The third puzzle piece.

Off to the Violet Room.

Kazuya.

Husband

A vase slipped out of his hand and broke, he said.

Oh, I see...

He hurt his hand.

Oh, I see...

Are you going back to your room?

No, I think I'll stay here with Hideya a while longer. Do you mind if I stay here a while, Hideya?

Of course not. Stay as long as you'd like.

Hideya... He talks like such a grownup these days...!

The Magnolia Room

Do you mean the Magnolia Room next to this room?

Yes, that's right. That room had a lot of good memories for us, but we can't go in it now.

You can‘t go in it...? Why not...?

Yurie's mementos

He put away all of Yurie's mementos? Why did he do that?

Kikuyo told me about that. She said Ayako begged Father to do it...

Ayako did...?

I think I can understand how Ayako felt, really.

I think Ayako couldn't stand it anymore...Oh, I'm sorry...I really shouldn't be talking about this in front of Hideya...

Forbade

He forbade anyone to enter...?

Yes, Father locked the door, and they say no one has been in there since.

Father put the key away somewhere. Even Kikuyo says she doesn't know where it is.

That's all Yokou has to say for now. Time to talk to Hideya.

Puzzles

Come back and play with me again sometime.

My mom

I don't like it when my mom looks sad...

The Magnolia Room.

The cabinet.

The picture.

The table.

Nothing more to do in this room for now.

Hachiya pounces on Takashi as soon as he leaves the Magnolia Room.

Please go back to your room.

Why was Hideo acting so strangely...?

And why...

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
Oh man, I'm a sucker for big hosed up families murdering each other in elegant mansions. Thanks for LPing this game.

I keep forgetting about this Emi person even existing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Please tell me that bottle was empty and our protagonist has more sense than to bring the murder weapon back to his room.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Video: Emmy.

I wonder how Marie and Kanae are doing...?

Denemon's Notes for this chapter are available now.

My sixth sense

I get the feeling there might be even more deaths... What do you think?

Death

Kanae is terrified a murder happened right here on the second floor. She went to the Lily Anteroom where Kikuyo is and won't leave her side. And Marie won't leave the Holly Room. Mr. Yoshikawa is in the Orchid Room and Mizuho is in the Hydrangea Room.

Everybody's shut themselves up. I wonder what‘s going to happen now?

Aren‘t you scared?

Aren‘t you...?

Kaidou leaves.

But I'm scared...

What did I do that day...? Tell me, Kikuyo. What did I do?

You didn't do anything. Now you don't have to worry about a single thing!

Kikuyo...

We can't get into the Lily Anteroom, so we'll work out way down the list, and try Marie.

Scared

I thought I was used to being all alone in this house...But now I'm afraid to be alone...

These awful things

Father died, and then Takako died...Now Tsuyako, too... They were all murdered, weren't they? I'm scared!

Marie, did you really see it?

Kazuya...

The demon you said was possessing this house...?

Yes.

Where did you see it? What did the demon look like?

Do we choose to believe Marie's story, or do we think she's mistaken/lying?

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
oh, a choice! I would say believe, it's more interesting that way.

Also, I noticed on the title card for Emmy that in Japanese it said "Naomi", so I guess there were some name changes. I wasn't paying attention for the other ones, I just happened to notice this one, so I don't know how many other names were changed in the localization.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yes, believe.
If it was Naomi my idea that Emmy might be kind of Emi somehow is disproven. I am glad, it wouldn't have fitted imo.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Agreed with "believe", we can't afford to cross anyone that we haven't ruled out as the murderer :eng101:

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
Just went back and checked the OP, yeah, all the other names check out (at least, in the katagana they do, I can't read kanji :v:), but that one is clearly Naomi in the Japanese text, not Emmy. Wonder why they changed the name. Unless Emmy is just a nickname she goes by, and Naomi is still her real name.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why not believe? I mean, maybe we can talk about some of the weird poo poo we've seen too.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The only thing i believe in is puzzle pieces and finding dead bodies.

Man, people just keep walking into the mansion. The police are not doing a good job here.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Believe

You really did see it, didn't you, Marie? This demon...?

Kazuya...You believe me, don't you!

Accusing Marie of lying causes her to become upset and end the conversation.

Last night

It was after bedtime. And after I saw the demon, Takako died...

A shadowy figure

A shadowy figure?

I heard footsteps on the second floor landing last night. It sounded like you, so I opened the door up quietly, and peeked out...And that's when I saw a figure going down the grand staircase...I think it must've heard me, because it turned around for a second, and looked my way. When I saw it, my heart started pounding! Because it looked like...

(Looked like what...? What did Marie see...?)

What I saw

What did you see...?

I think it was... No... I think it must've been some kind of illusion...Yes, an illusion...

(What did she see..? What did Marie see...?)

The demon

What demon?

When I saw it, I remembered what Father told me long ago. This is what Father said...

“When this demon sneaks into the house, it takes on the shape of someone you love.”

It takes on the shape of someone you love...?

This demon

Father told me he actually saw this demon...

Its eyes

He said this demon has a terrible evil in its heart, so if you look into its eyes, you can recognise it right away...

A terrible light

A terrible light deep in its eyes...?

That shadowy figure... looked like you...

Like me?!

But those eyes...When it turned around and looked at me...

That wasn't you. That wasn't the person that's here with me right now!

Right? Right, Kazuya?

Kazuya! Are you all right?

Unh...

(My head feels like it's going to split in two!)

Oh, Kazuya!

Takashi walks out, still holding his head.

Mizuho's up next.

Key

No, nothing yet.

Oh, okay. If you find out anything, let me know, all right?

Very insightful and riveting conversation.

Off to see Kiyohiko.

Oh, it's you. I'm glad you're here.

Glad I'm here?

That's right.

Don't tell me... You're looking for something, right?

Yes, that's right. I lost one of my cuff links. I've been looking for it, but I can't seem to find it.

One of your cuff links?

It won't do me much good if I only have one of them. They were my favourite cuff links, too. Do you think you could help me look?

So that's where it was, huh? Thanks a lot!

Takako gave me these cuff links to celebrate me becoming director. Now that I think of it, I was wearing these when...Takako and I came to tell the chairman we wanted to remake “Dolls”. Thanks again!

Oh, it's you. I don't have anything else I want you to help me look for.

Can we talk for a minute? About Tsuyako...?

Sorry, but I want to be alone right now. Finding that cuff link made me start thinking about Takako again... I don't feel like seeing anybody right now. I'll come down to the Great Hall at five o'clock. Why don't we talk then?

Takashi leaves.

Ihara mentioned earlier that he would be in the Grape Room around this time.

We get another Emi sighting on our way.

This is the Grape Room. The door only unlocks after 16:30.

The area music changes when the time reaches half past the hour. The conversation music stays the same though.

Katagiri's in the Bellflower Room. What do you wanna know where Katagiri is for...?

…..

Whatever. What've you been doing?

Mansion

Whenever you start wandering around, another dead body turns up.

Whenever I wander around...?

That's what I said. Try and tell me I'm wrong. What are you doing all that wandering around for, anyway?

Hidden secrets

No...

An odd guy

I'm odd...?

What?!

You just sit there.

…..

I'm waiting for people to die?! Ha ha ha! Well, aren't you the comedian?

Takashi has a point. Right from the word go, Ihara hasn't really shown any interest in investigating.

What

What do you think I'm looking for?

Denemon's secrets

I don't know, but if I were you...I think if my father called for me and then died before saying anything... I'd have a question or two. ...Like what exactly Denemon Yoshinodou thought about in this mansion...what his worries were...and what he was hiding, let's say.

I'll tell you one thing...

Takashi leaves.

Off to pester Katagiri.

The Magnolia Room

Yurie Yoshinodou

For some reason, all of the women who marry Denemon come to a miserable end...

Why

Nobody kills themselves without a reason...

Suicide

Nobody in this mansion wants to talk about Yurie's suicide.

…..

I knew. I knew even before I met you... that you'd be coming to this mansion...

This is not helping to make Takashi look any less suspicious.

…..

Mr. Katagiri... I...

(What connection do you have to these murders, Mr. Katagiri...?)

A serial murder case

Do you know something about this case...?

…..

Mr. Katagiri...?

…..

(What does Mr. Katagiri know about this serial murder case...?)

Mr. Katagiri...?

…..

Katagiri proceeds to walk off before Takashi can try to give any sort of answer, leaving us to finally pick up the French Doll.

What did he mean by that?

Who could this man be that Marie said she saw?

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 2, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
HydroSphere? Are... are we the baddies?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is it just me, or do none but two of the tindeck links work? Main mansion and Conversation work, but everything else refuses to play.

I know that our main character Takashi has psychic powers, but do demons really exist? And is that demon us?

Kiyohiko is mourning the loss of Tayako, so I don't think he's (one of) the murderers here, thank god. :unsmith: Meanwhile, the butler and maid are suspicious as gently caress. I wonder if in Japan they are aware of the the mystery cliche that "the butler always did it." Because that's where it seems like it's heading towards here.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Glazius posted:

HydroSphere? Are... are we the baddies?

It's starting to look that way, isn't it? :(

EagerSleeper posted:

Is it just me, or do none but two of the tindeck links work? Main mansion and Conversation work, but everything else refuses to play.

I tested, and I couldn't get the Tindeck links to work either. I've reuploaded and replaced the links; they all seem to be working, but given that Tindeck's reliability seems to be declining, I'll see if I can move all the tracks over to Clyp during the weekend.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Standing here reminds me of when we arrived at the mansion... Poor Takako...

Tsuyako

I was seeing her for a long time. If I hadn't met Takako, I probably would've still been going out with her. As an actress, Tsuyako was...she was very diligent about polishing her acting skills. She had so much charisma on-screen... She started out having to share a dressing room with other actresses, but she worked and worked until she was playing the leading roles...

When New World Cinema decided to feature Takako--the chairman‘s daughter...

And then there was that business about our relationship, too... That's why she had the attitude she did when Takako died... But I never imagined Tsuyako would be murdered...!

Tsuyako was pressing you to continue filming "Dolls," wasn‘t she?

The leading role

Tsuyako was after that role right from the start.

The president's okay

The president‘s okay...?

Yes, it was Hideo who first decided to remake “Dolls“ into a talkie, anyway. Hideo was more enthusiastic than anyone about talking-film production.

I think he was eager to produce talkies because he wanted to prove himself.

Consulting

That‘s what Mizuho told me.

”Dolls”

I wonder if none of this would've happened if we hadn‘t decided to remake “Dolls”...?

Hideo

Hideo must be just as shaken as I am. I understand how he felt when he was so agitated in the dining hall...

Over there

At the edge of the garden, just beyond the terrace.

Matsunosuke

Hideo was arguing with Matsunosuke?

Yes, in the south garden, just off the terrace. It looked like they were exchanging some angry words to me... I don't know what they were talking about, though.

People keep dying, and everybody's on edge. I wonder what'll happen next? I just want to get out of this mansion! But if I run away now, they might think I'm the culprit... Man, I'm starting to get a headache... I'll see you. I'm going back to my room.

Kiyohiko walks away.

You, eh?

What were you looking at?

Hmph. Wasn't looking at nothing.

Yup. I'm sure of it...

Trust

Of course I don't trust you! How can I?

Killed

Tsuyako was murdered. No question about it.

Tsuyako Sawamatsu

You found out I‘m not the one who killed Tsuyako? How do you know?

Because I saw him.

Here

I was doing some work right here in the south garden.

The west passage

If you look up from here, you can see the window in the west passage that goes to the Cotton Rose Room.

A guy in a suit

A guy in a suit?

You heard me. He wasn't wearing work clothes like you.

I don‘t suppose it'll do any good telling you, but that's what I saw. Hmph. That's all I got to say.

Who is this man?

Don't know. Wouldn't tell you, even if I did know!

Why not?

Betray

Obligated

You're obligated to Mr. Yoshinodou?

A man with no family

I ain't got no family. I left them a long time ago.

Obstinate

Well, I am, ain't I? I ain't never gonna be no lovable old grandpa type...

The same village

You and Mr. Yoshinodou come from the same village?

You heard me. Mr. Yoshinodou was looking for a gardener for this mansion. When he interviewed me and found out I was from the same village, he hired me.

The same village, huh?

During the interview, Mr. Yoshinodou was thinking about that village...

That village? What village is it?

I gave up caring about that place a long time ago. No use in talking to you about it now...

(I wonder what village it is...?)

Nostalgic

Mr. Yoshinodou was always strict, but he understood people's sorrow.

That old village

That old village, huh?

I guess even a successful man like Mr. Yoshinodou can get nostalgic about a hometown he can't go back to... That must be it. He was just nostalgic, that's all...

(What village was it? What was Denemon remembering...?)

I guess me and Mr. Yoshinodou ain't never going back to that village now... It's far away. That's why I only remember the good things about that village... Mr. Yoshinodou liked to take walks in the evening in the east garden near that statue of a child. I bet he was thinking about the village there...

Here I am, getting into some big long discussion with you again!

Matsunosuke leaves.

Off to the east garden to look at the statue.

Takashi somehow teleported from the statue to the car.

Hm?

What were you thinking about? I called your name several times, but you didn't answer me at all...

That child statue

Three statues

Three statues?

Two statues of women

Sooth the spirits

His wives died so young, they probably left behind some regrets...I'm sure Denemon understood that...

Monuments

His wives died so young, and he continued to care for them...It's kind of romantic, really.

Back to the three statues topic.

Statue of a child

Child

I wonder if he had that statue made to soothe someone's spirit, too...?

Statue

Kanae says that statue was made before she was born.

Kanae

Taking a walk

She's been really depressed, so I suggested it. I thought it might make her feel better.

Kaidou, you know that Kanae is hiding something, right? Don't you want to know what it is?

But Kanae doesn't seem to want me to know...

Takashi should really be thankful for Kaidou's aversion to prying into other people's secrets. Kaidou, for some reason, has always questioned if Takashi is really Kazuya; Kaidou could probably make Takashi's life a lot more difficult if he started prying / voicing his suspicions.

You...

Do I really love Kanae? What do you think?

I..

But now's not the time for that.

Kaidou leaves with a wave, and we head off to the north garden.

Father had it made to soothe her spirit after she died...

Huh?

For me?

You were looking for this, weren't you?

That's Takashi passing the doll over to Kanae.

My doll

Doll

I loved this doll. Father brought it back with him for me...

My treasure

This doll was the only one who knew...

The only one who knew...?

Yes. She was the only one who knew how I felt back then...

(Back then...? What is Kanae remembering...?)

How I felt

I don't want to remember how I felt then...!

Back then

Back then...?

Yes, back then...

Kanae, what happened back then?

Nothing... Nothing happened... Please don't ask me about it...

(Back then... What happened "back then"...?)

No...!

Are you all right?

No, I don't want to remember...! Why...? Why would Mother... a thing like that...?

(A thing like that...? What is Kanae talking about...?)

A thing like that

Kanae, what happened?

I don't want to talk about it... It wasn't my fault...!

Kanae...

I just want to forget it! Forget everything...!

(What does she mean by “a thing like that"...?)

Nobody understood...

No...!

Are you all right?

Mother

Mother died... Mother died and...it‘s all that girl's fault!

Could that be what's behind Kanae and Marie not getting along? And what does it have to do with Yurie's death?

Matsunosuke's native village that he mentioned... The same village where Denemon was born... That village might be important.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Sounds like Denemon has flipped the gently caress out a few times before.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hey thank you Hydrosphere for replacing the music links with Clyp ones! :)

Glazius posted:

Huh. Sounds like Denemon has flipped the gently caress out a few times before.

Well yeah, that's pretty normal when you're actually a character in the Persona series.

(Philemon Denemon in their younger days)

An interesting thing in the garden is seeing that there are red spider lilies planted around a statue. Wikipedia has this to say about red spider lillies:

Lycoris radiata posted:

Since these scarlet flowers usually bloom near cemeteries around the autumnal equinox, they are described in Chinese and Japanese translations of the Lotus Sutra as ominous flowers that grow in Diyu (also known as Hell), or Huángquán (Simplified Chinese: 黄泉; Traditional Chinese: 黃泉), and guide the dead into the next reincarnation.

Some legends have it that when you see someone that you may never meet again, these flowers, also called red spider lilies or corpse flowers, would bloom along the path. Perhaps because of these sorrowful legends, Japanese people often used these flowers in funerals. The popular Japanese name Higanbana (彼岸花 Higan bana?) for Lycoris radiata literally means higan (the other or that shore of Sanzu River) flower, decorate and enjoyable, flower of afterlife in gokuraku jyōdo (極楽浄土 gokuraku jyōdo?).

Just another sign that when Denemon wants to go into mourning, he goes the full monty.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Emmy

Emmy?

Koutarou

Koutarou Katagiri.

Who are you...?

I'm...

Emmy won't talk to Takashi now, so we're left dealing with the great conversationalist of Glass Rose, Katagiri.

…..

I'm sorry, but you'll have to leave. I have to talk to Emmy.

Takashi leaves...

And promptly knocks on the door to be let back in.

Before deciding to try eavesdropping.

Why do you have to get yourself involved in this kind of thing? I just don't understand it...

And is caught by Kikuyo.

Youko was...?

That‘s right. She was looking for you. She was in the side hallway a little while ago...

Kikuyo leaves.

Were together

I thought you were with each other...

Where

I've been looking, but I can't seem to find him.

Husband

But Kikuyo told me! She said she saw the two of you together...

What?!

No...? Kikuyo must've been mistaken, then...

A bad feeling

I feel so worried for some reason... I've never felt this way before! It's like a terrible premonition... Maybe he went out into the gardens...?

Youko leaves.

What about that empty well in the north garden...?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Here's my bet:

Katagiri is right that Kazuya Kanase is the murderer. And he knows we aren't actually Kazuya.

That means someone here is secretly Kazuya, or he is actually dead and a spirit possessing someone.

Ihara also knows we aren't Kazuya.

I see two options.

One, Katagiri is secretly Kazuya.

Two, Katagiri is some kind of Cooper-style detective with some kind of sixth sense ability. Heck, maybe he can use Divine Judgment too.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 3, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
An empty well. That doesn't sound at all dangerous.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Glazius posted:

An empty well. That doesn't sound at all dangerous.

The Legend of Zelda has taught you well.

If we're discussing theories, here's mine. Hideo's son is actually a daughter that they're raising as a son to be the family heir. The way that they draw the son's eyes in the portraits is conspicuously done to draw attention to me. I don't know what plot beat this going to done for, but I think it's likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Posting to push to new page.

• Locked thread