Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
His mouth turns into a greyhound at the end so we may be in The New Yorker territory here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It's a joke about HIV

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Jon has a disease where his stomach is actually a dogs womb

Congratts Jon

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Squashing Machine posted:

I've thought long and hard on this subject.

1) It's dog semen
The prevailing theory. However, there are many problems with this theory. As Garfield is at least a family-friendly comic strip, if not expressly produced for the consumption of children, then why would Jim Davis expect his audience to know that it's a cup full of semen or to even know what semen is? Additionally, why would the semen be stored at room temperature in an open container? Was Liz planning on artificially inseminating a dog immediately after giving Garfield his checkup and just letting the semen warm up in the meantime? Finally, ingesting semen does not cause dogs or humans to become pregnant. Totally bogus.

2) It's medicine for pregnant dogs
Somewhat more plausible. Despite the same questions raised over Liz storing the liquid in an open, unrefrigerated container, it's possible that it could be some sort of medication or nutritional supplement, also implied by Liz specifically saying that Jon was going to have a litter of "healthy" puppies.

3) It's cold coffee and Liz is loving with Jon
Jon says it's a "cup of coffee," and from the angle he should be able to see it's a black or brown liquid. Drinking unexpectedly cold coffee could cause the reaction Jon displays in the third panel, because people generally find room-temperature coffee to be unpleasant. And, historically, Liz has regarded Jon with a kind of withering amusement, and it would fit with her character to make up something to shock and humiliate him.

4) Jim Davis doesn't know how babies are made
Jim Davis has made a media empire out of the comedic and artistic equivalent of unflavored yogurt. He's a dim, simple man who tapped into the collective consciousness of a dim, simple people. It's entirely possible that he has no concept of how puppies are conceived. Maybe the joke makes complete sense to Jim. Maybe Garfield operates in an alternate reality where insemination is not only possible orally, but across genders and species. If nothing else, Jim Davis is likely some kind of sex pervert. Just look at how the lady with spiders for eyes is posed. She's practically presenting. She reads as the kind of sexual freak who would leave a coffee cup full of dog cum just sitting around her workspace. Maybe she jacked off Odie immediately before Garfield's appointment. The fact that this comic strip---which has haunted me ever since I read it in Garfield: Life in the Fat Lane: His 28th Book as a child---still runs in syndication is a cruel joke. When Jim Davis is finally tried and executed for corrupting the nation's youth, I hope that there's huge crowd of spectators and that they greet him with howls of execration.

drat... Nice post

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:
This thread reminded me of how much funnier Garfield is without Garfield.

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

:lol:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Jon's feeling frisky because he just indulged his bestiality fetish by allowing the clinic's dogs to mount him. He thought this was a secret, but Liz knew all along.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday

ProfessorMurder posted:

The vet had a cup of puppy eggs sitting there and Jon drank them. They're gonna hatch and grow in his belly before tearing through his stomach and eating his body. I'm pretty sure that's the joke here.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What the actual Hell

Don't Americans learn what mammals are in grade school?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

KomodoWagon posted:

What the actual Hell

Don't Americans learn what mammals are in grade school?

The platypus is a mammal that lays eggs, but to answer your question no, we don't.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sole.Sushi posted:

The platypus is a mammal that lays eggs, but to answer your question no, we don't.

Platypuses aren't real, idiot.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Platypi, please.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I didn't know Garfield was so loving edgy with the sperm drinking

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
This isn't like the Far Side where an obviously stoned Gary Larson misses a possible double entendre, Jim Davis is literally making a gokkun joke

BirryJoru
Mar 21, 2012

GRAMAGEDDON ISN'T OVER YET. SORRY.-RA TEHUTI :smuggo::smug::smugdon::grin::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
this thread has made me so gay

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Squashing Machine posted:

I've thought long and hard on this subject.

This is a p good start towards a PhD thesis tbh

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boz0r posted:

Platypi, please.

Why would I put a Latin suffix on a word that comes from Greek? I mean, unless you want to go all the way and call 'em "platypoi," "platypuses" is perfectly correct and acceptable.

In general, the fact that we use latinized versions of Greek words in English rather than either the original or an anglicized one is total bullshit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Where do you get these amazing gifs from and how can I also get them to edit?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Let me attempt to explain:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Gridlocked posted:

Where do you get these amazing gifs from and how can I also get them to edit?

Google image search is my vacation home.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wizard Master posted:

Normally I wouldn't do this but I don't understand what the joke is supposed to be.

Garfield hates dogs.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Platypodes.

Even if the lady was only pretending it was semen, it wouldn't change the fact that the joke revolves around the guy drinking dog semen, so that doesn't solve the problem of would the artist really put a dog-semen-drinking joke in a newspaper or whatever. Which leads me to believe there's no point in her joking about it (and there's really no suggestion of it being a joke either in the comic), so I'd say he definitely drank dog semen.

Though that guy a few posts back did mention it's part of some greater context so maybe I'm wrong.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadow0 posted:

Platypodes.

gently caress

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a magic potion.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Its Platypussies you loving plebs.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Clamps McGraw posted:

This is a p good start towards a PhD thesis tbh

Yeah, I probably could at least get a BuzzFeed Garfield article out of it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my local paper stopped syndicating garfield <:mad:>

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe a better punchline would be "that's not coffee, that's dog semen"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I like the ones without Garfield talking

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
he drank dog cum lol GROSS!!!!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Jon isn't a spitter tho, hmmm I'll have to revise my masters thesis

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
jon drank the dog cum

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Shadow0 posted:

Platypodes.

Even if the lady was only pretending it was semen, it wouldn't change the fact that the joke revolves around the guy drinking dog semen, so that doesn't solve the problem of would the artist really put a dog-semen-drinking joke in a newspaper or whatever. Which leads me to believe there's no point in her joking about it (and there's really no suggestion of it being a joke either in the comic), so I'd say he definitely drank dog semen.

Though that guy a few posts back did mention it's part of some greater context so maybe I'm wrong.

But then why is it in the mug???

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

But then why is it in the mug???

Decent username post combo

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
the answer, as it always is, is cum

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's actually a pun about "teacup chihuahuas." There was a pregnant teacup chihuahua in the mug and Jon drank it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
garfeld is a comic strip about nothing

• Locked thread