Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

Also addressing the Imperial delegate,

"On this matter, the Concordat and the Illuminarchy are as one. We of the Illuminarchy are utterly opposed to war: Weapons and combat spells at the pinnacle of our knowledge and understanding are one of the few things we will absolutely refuse to trade, for fear of a return to the Hundred Years of Horror. We steadfastly refuse to mount a military capable of operations in hostile territory. These are our convictions, born of thorough deliberations and weighing the cost against the potential benefit. We stand by them as an absolute. To endorse one whose purpose and training is to lead in times of war is antithetical to us, even in an advisory role: We would much rather have an advisor capable of taking the matter out of the military realm, through negotiation and diplomacy. Should those fail, our first resort is to offer a peace treaty maintaining the status quo prior to the conflict. Our second resort is to use every means at our disposal to annihilate an invading force and then offer a peace treaty maintaining the status quo prior to the combat. Again, these are not, and should not be taken as, threats. I reiterate the opposition of the Illuminarchy to war, and our firm belief that it is in the best interests of us all to be advised by one who sees beyond the battlefield."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lila Skye, Councillor from the Free City of Hyderia

Rash? Lila sits up straighter at the comment, eyes snapping to the white-robed woman. She clears her throat. "The Free City is comfortable with Caleb Uberveltd as Military adviser. As for Theology and Magic, this illuminating conversation has persuaded me to support Devland Marikan."

Her attention goes back to Mother Superior. "I must say, rash is not a term I would apply to Lady Iralia. Determined, certainly, a woman of vision when others see only what is in immediately before them. It is this vision that makes her a suitable general adviser, an ability to adapt in new situations."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

"She is passionate, as we already discussed. That is a liability at the negotiating table. Passion is an indelicate weapon in a field that demands stricture and control."

The Mother Superior pauses, and then something glints in her eye.

"You know, you have reminded me of something. We will back Hassan for the position of Economic Adviser. Perhaps a man of humility can bring some measure of honor to this work."

She smile-grimaces at Lila.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ixtli Itztli, First Brother of the Serpent King, Councilor Envoy for the Emerald Empire

Ixtli cracked his neck. He was clearly frustrated.

"I do not understand your reasoning," he said dryly. "And the more that it is explained the less it makes sense."

He nothing to show for his time here. Zero candidates he considered fitting would be placed into office. And worse still was this bewildering support of the clearly unqualified Uberveldt. He stared down the different delegates. Was he being made a fool of? Was this all some kind of joke? He felt a pit in his stomach. It gnawed at him. And he came became frightened. Could this all be some plan to destabilize his homelands under the guise of peace and friendship?

Perhaps this is all a mistake, he thought.

He had letters to write.

"I abstain from all votes," he said. He raised his hands palms facing inwards-- once again a symbol of polite deference. "Forgive me. A child must walk before he can run."

He would make sure the Serpent King and the Crocodile Priests were ready for war. In whatever subtle form it approached in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thax of The Queendom

Thax clicks his mandibles and rises slightly in his seat.

"We have journeyed far for this concordance. We have high hopes for it, and wish to see mutual benefit to all. An impasse on the first vote seems an ill omen. We do not wish to contribute to it.

We change our vote for general advisor to Istram Calafai, with due respect to Hyderia." He nods towards Lyla in deference and lowers his antennae in apology.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Mother Laizon meets Ixtil's stare with her own. When he breaks off and produces his societies gesture for polite deference, her still barely red eyebrow rises. She considers, and gives him a diplomatic smile.

"Itxil, may we speak privately?"

Mother Laizon makes a gesture of polite inquiry she remembers from her diplomatic training, so long ago.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Ixtli Itztli, First Brother of the Serpent King, Councilor Envoy for the Emerald Empire

He paused. Slowly, the corners of lips curled into a relieved smile. To see another soul who understood proper etiquette was a breath of fresh air. A glass of water. A paddle. He quickly tapped twice on his chin and then drew a line over his right eyebrow. A complex, contextual sign but one whose meaning was generally: gracious acceptance. It was overly formal, of course. But such was his reaction to seeing something relatable in this foreign land.

"Of course," he said. He nodded to the table. "Excuse us."

They do not disappear for long. Ixtli returned to his seat noticeably more relaxed.

"Calafai. Hassan. Illdana." he said. And then he paused. Be glanced at Mother Laison before continuing. "If we do not wish to be stung, we should look to the beekeepers, It is impossible to kill the bees. Liza-399."

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Gwynivette was happy to see support for Caleb growing in the delegation, it was after all probably why the Council had sent her here in the first place. Get reliable voices in important offices. Okay strategy. But somewhere in her gut, she was identifying closely with Ixtli. What were any of them doing here, really? What was all this for and why did everyone pretend this meeting had something to do with taking care of the population of this continent? Gwynivette herself had shown up only to shout Vonicci's name, in diplomatic ways, try to impress the neighbors and win personal, tangible, fame. And really, that was what this meeting centered around. Who politicked harder than their rivals and what nationalities would get discussed in history books. It was pretentious. And that had to be painful for someone still kinda ... innocent. Gwynivette was a Mystrique these days. You don't get your hands on that kind of power innocently. But she felt for the guy, even if they were momentary adversaries.

"Now that you've finished with Mother Laizon," She piped up from her throne, cordial and disinterested. "Maybe you and I should talk, Ixtli." She made a point of making strong eye contact then, attempting to judge the character of the man she just invited to dinner. "I'm certain I could explain why Caleb is a fine appointment for the position, with the opportunity for a lengthier conversation. And I do hate to ask you to reconsider your vote but I feel that you in particular are capable of seeing the larger picture of what's going on here. We can both agree that this council, currently, is preposterous and doomed to failure," She didn't even hesitate, she didn't once break eye contact with Caleb to see the other councilors she'd off-handedly belittled. She was well trained. The culture of Vonicci was brash, commonly impolite, it cared little for ceremonies or feelings. So she didn't worry about offending the other councilors at the same time that she set out to see if she was capable of it. They were all grown-ups, and fairly important to their nations. They'd get over it.

"But," pausing then for emphasis, "the connections and alliances we make at this council perhaps amount to something in the end. Something tangible. Perhaps you will allow Vonicci to become such a connection. The opportunity to forge common bonds may benefit both of our nation's greatly."

It was shockingly polite and sophisticated. She hadn't actually meant to come off that way and, of all the things she'd done that day, it was the first that lightly embarrassed her. Was she really beginning to take this council seriously? Was she guilty of the crime of paying attention? To the interpersonal dramas at least - never the bureaucracy being established. She was Vonicci after all.

"But anyway," She pressed on. "Before we can talk and I have the opportunity to convince you in person that Caleb is the right advisor for our council to rely on, I want to ask in good faith that you cast your vote for Caleb anyway. This evening. It would be a meaningful display of unity in our council, Vonicci would consider your decision a resounding display of good will and good intent and I can promise that, after our discussion, you will see your vote was cast for the right man anyway. And it is far better than abstaining to vote, on the first issue brouget before us. Yours could be a vote of trust building, not uninvolvement."

"Consider it." Her final note before swiping her hair out of her face and leaning back into her throne. Gwynivette might be actively participating in the politics now... but that didn't mean she liked being here. And she intended for everyone to know that.

KhediveRex fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 16, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mir Baator

Mir looks to Delveris. Now here is a man who thinks a good deal more than he knows. He considers the diplomat, his age, his build. He sees a man borne of comfort, unaccustomed to hardship. His eyes suggest the depths of his knowledge, while his girth betrays the bounty of his homeland. Mir shakes his head. He does not doubt the man's expertise; merely his proximity to that which he studies.

"You believe war is terrible," he says, looking Delveris in the eye. "I tell you, war is terrible. You are not incorrect. And yet, I must ask myself, and I do not mean to diminish: how real is it to you? How much of your thinking is borrowed experience? You speak of," he hesitates, sounding the word in his mind, "Sim-u-la-tions. Woven dreams of information. I do not doubt the rigor of your studies, but you speak as a man who condemns an evil which is foreign to him. You speak of war as a slumbering thing. Please, let me speak as one who has known."

Mir unfastens his collar. A curious scar can be seen around his neck, like a rope pulled taught. It is exceedingly unpleasant to picture.

"For you the war is a distant memory. The memory of another lifetime. But for us, it was reality. It remained reality. The peace the Marduk Emperor brings is scarcely more than a few years old."

He rubs his neck, his hands caressing that horrible mark.

"I was 15 years old when I first killed a man, though I did not hate him. He was a bandit. He was starving. We were both starving. We starved because the gathering grounds were run red with blood. But we had meat in our packs and water in our skins. He threatened us. I killed him because the alternative was death. I bore him no ill will. I prayed for his body. He'd been alone then, but was not alone. When his fellows found me, they hung me round the neck. I was dragged behind their horses. I was saved by my sister, an excellent shot. For decades this was our world. Fighting to survive. Fighting for a cause, swayed by one man's words, then another's. I have seen the killing fields where nothing shall ever grow again. I have met men more terrible and depraved than you imagine. Men for whom death was the only cure for their delusions. You think war to be terrible. I know it to be worse."

He fastens his collar, his fingers moving with great care.

"I cannot accept an advisor of peace who does not also know war. No more than I could a doctor who prescribes a remedy for a patient he has never seen."

Releasing the Fenadeshi diplomat from his gaze, Mir turns to the rest of the council.

"The Surov will accept either Gilt or Liza, but we will not acknowledge this Uberveldt."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 16, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Untalan

The Glassmage turns to regard Mir Baator as the Surov representative speaks; geographical proximity to the Marduk Emperor's domain requires a degree of attentiveness, but above and beyond such, the Concordat respects the Collected Tribes. Life on the steppes is hard, and if the Surov do not have to struggle with the Maelstrom, they also do not have the wizards' arcane gifts. So the Surov's representative's words are weighed carefully by the Glassmage before he makes a soft rumbling noise that might, in an ordinary mortal man, be taken to be a clearing of the throat.

"Honored Mir Baator, I suggest a compromise. Though the Concordat Council has directed me to support Caleb Untervaldt, there is a degree of leeway in those directives - and Liza 399, as a diplomat, is acceptable to the Concordat. As such, in the interest of not being divisive - for you are not the only one to raise this issue, and I would not like to see this Council rent by disunity in our very first meeting - it would be acceptable for me to change the Concordat's vote from Caleb to Liza if I could be assured that such would not be an unanswered gesture. If, simply to raise an example, you were willing to change your own vote from War Leader Gilt to Liza as well."

A glance, then, towards Ixtli Itztli, and back towards Mir. "Perhaps we need not all be at loggerheads."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

"Your proposal is acceptable, though our terms must be conditional. I will not change my vote while doing so would upset the balance in favor of Uberveldt. If the machine Liza is set to match or exceed his support, we shall concede."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

We too, can compromise on Liza.

The Mother Superior folds her hands. Her nails are cracked, and there is a map of scars layered atop her hands. She is missing half of her left pointer finger.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 16, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

A moment's silent calculation, and Untalan nods his head. "Fair enough, though by my count the current tally shows that a change in either of our votes would not be enough to change the complexion of the tally; unless I have missed something, and I apologize if I have, War Leader Gilt possesses three votes at present, those of Verisanga, the Queendom, and yourselves of Surov, while Master Uberveldt holds five votes, those of myself and the Concordat, Vonicci, the Fenadeshi, the League of Makeo, and the Free City of Hyderia, while Liza 399 holds the vote of the Emerald Empire.

"Having said that, it feels unseemly of me to have offered a compromise but been unwilling to make the first move of it, and I apologize for that. As such, the Concordat of Trismestigus withdraws its vote for Caleb Uberveldt and instead endorses Liza 399. I can now but hope that my example will prove inspirational to my fellows."

Of course, if no one else's vote changes, the Concordat's original choice of Uberveldt still emerges victorious, so it's an easy sacrifice for the Glassmage to make... but then he realizes that the Mother Superior has done the same, and now there is a three-way tie. So this could be interesting. (EDIT: I did my math wrong) and with the Mother Superior's vote shift, now it stands at 2 for Gilt, 4 for Uberveldt, and 3 for Liza.

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 16, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir traces a sign in the air with the tip of his pipe.

"Then we shall withdraw our vote as well, to resubmit in Liza's favor."

A diplomat, he thinks, but rational. And the machines are knowledgable in military matters. The Emperor will accept this compromise.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 16, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

OOC: I threw together a little spreadsheet to mark where everyone's vote is. It's editable so feel free to correct any mistakes I may have made.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

He met the Surov representative's gaze unflinchingly, and replied,

"How real is war to me? Let me put it this way. We of the Fenadeshi abhor war. We oppose it utterly. We do everything in our power to avoid it. But, and this is key, not everyone thinks as we do."

His expression darkened, not in anger but in grim recollection.

"The Hundred Years of Horror are still in living memory. Raiders, adventurers and war parties still occasionally test our borders. We do all we can to dissuade them from their course, but so few, so damnably few, ever bother to listen. When words fail, we raise a levy, volunteers from amongst our archmages, master artificers and technomancers. Each equipped with their own arcane masteries, their own mechanical creations, and the amalgamations of both which are our hallmark. Sometimes, the sight of these levies is sufficient to bring about peace, and we welcome that gladly, and stand down. Other times, they think they can chance it. Think us weak, or that so few have no chance against so many. We are forced to annihilate them, until the survivors no longer wish to fight. I have volunteered, and the importance of doing so, especially for the most masterful of us, is hammered home in our colleges and training institutions. It is to my regret and shame that I have ended the lives of those who could not be dissuaded from attacking us."

He closed his eyes for a moment, his face the veritable picture of sorrow.

"That is how real war is to me. It is unclean and filthy, the stink of formerly living flesh incinerated in an instant. It is the empty eye sockets of a blackened, reeking skull where I saw the spark of intelligence of a fellow living being moments before. It is vile, it is revolting, it is wasteful, it is utterly antithetical to everything the Illuminarchy stands for. That is why we insist upon one who has the nous to avert war as best they are able to advise us. Still, there is overlap, and as I stated earlier, either Caleb Uberveldt or Liza Three Nine Nine are acceptable to our position. So, in the interests of finding a mutually agreeable compromise, the Illuminarchy of Fenadesh is willing to switch its first preference for the Peace advisor from the equally worthy Caleb Uberveldt to Liza 399."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir leans back in his chair, his hand to his chin. He is familiar with Fenadeshi tactics, in broad terms. Their mastery over magic and machinery in consert. So he knows war, then. Yet still, he keeps it at a distance. He speaks from regret, from his guilt; a repentant butcher. He has kept the peace, but he does not gamble his own life. The hand which holds the knife is covered, insulated from the act, by gloves spun of arcane engines.

Even so, the Fenadeshi's willingness to compromise is not unwelcome. Mir hesitates, then nods.

"We do not see with the same eyes, but I shall not question your dedication to peace. Your proposal is acceptable."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The bell chimes once more, echoing throughout The Grand Hall with a pleasant definitive ring.

"I will call the votes there, I believe," she says. She jots something in the red book before her with a quill, then drops it triumphantly into the inkwell. "The voting is concluded. For the position of General Adviser, I hereby appoint Istram Calafai. For the position of Treasury and Trade Adviser, I hereby appoint Gal Hassan. For the position of Millitary and Peace Adviser, I hereby appoint Liza339. For the position of Theology and Magic Adviser, I hereby appoint Devland Markan."

She dings the bell once more.

"So concludes the first matter bought before The High Council, and in a timely and general respectful manner too. I have high hopes for the future if all parties continue to behave in such a way."

She mutters something to a nearby robed clerk, who disappears from the hall. She does not say another word for several minutes, busying herself with note taking, signing, and sealing documents. Eventually, the clerk returns, leading four figures that you quickly identify as the four advisers. They take their seats in the cordoned off area. Those of you who recognise members of the advisery are slightly surprised by their manner. It is as if their presumed training, or perhaps their time spent, among Those Without Nation have led them to adopt some of their aloft and sombre traits.

"With our advisers gathered, it is time to address a new matter," Sivande pronounces.

"The issue on the table: Central Treasury Fund Proposal
The High Council is in infancy. Anyone with any knowledge of politics and government knows that change is slow, but it is also expensive. Those Without Nation put forth a motion that a speciality fund be created, pooling monetary resources from the splintered kingdom for use in a central treasury."

She looks up and scans all ten of you with her eyes thoughtfully.

"Now, I am fully aware that this is potentially a thorny issue. Some who vote against the central treasury, may end up paying into it by force against their will. Might I remind everyone to keep conversation civil. This is centralised politics at its core. We cannot forget that by uniting, we strengthen ourselves, but also surrender some control. Feel free to discuss the matter, but I am ultimately looking for one of three decisions: Nay, suggesting no treasury established, that the central treasury be comprised of equal submissions from all member states, or that each nation pays based upon their national wealth . I will, for the first time, encourage the advisers to advise."

General Adviser
"Establishing a central treasury based on what each nation can afford to provide is the best of both worlds. None are left paying more than they can afford, yet we create a pool of money that can be used to help on an international level."

Treasury and Trade Adviser
"I do not loan m-m-m-m-money to friends or relatives. I do not borrow from the same. F-f-f-f-forcing money to change hands, however good the intention, always leads to bad blood. Perhaps one day this will be a good idea, but with The High Council so new, we do not need reasons to forge resentment b-b-b-b-between factions."

Millitary and Peace Adviser
"I disagree with Adviser Hassan. This is an opportunity for each kingdom to show solidarity and commitment to the idea of a unified continent.. By giving equally, we show that we believe in what we are here to do."

Magic and Theology Adviser
"Let us remember why we are here. We're not trying to unify. If that is the purpose of this council I resign immediately. The Old King was right and declared it so - this is not one nation. Why should we spend money as one? I STRONGLY advise against this central treasury."

Voting closes in 48 hours

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 19, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik

He looked at Devland coolly for several moments, a slight frown on his brow.

"Money for unspecified purposes goes against our principles: Let us know what is needed, and we can see about funding it if necessary. And that's needed, not wanted. Resources need to be used efficiently, not simply dumped in a slush fund."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

The Glassmage would frown, if he could; the one advisory post that he actually cared about did not go his way, which rather erases the joy from the fact that the other three did. If they have no use for our knowledge on matters arcane, we have little enough else to offer these people - and so there is little enough that they will be prepared to offer us. What in the hells am I even doing here, if that is the case?

Still, there would be time enough for such thoughts later; he has to get through this meeting before deciding whether or not he will bother attending the next one. Though briefly tempted to declare that unification is the purpose of the Council in the hopes of getting Markand to resign in a fit of pique, the Glassmage sets aside such thoughts as being overly petty; instead he considers the proposal carefully, weighing the merits of each decision. Eventually, he speaks.

"I am not yet prepared to vote, but I would like to note - if this Council does decide in favor of a central treasury, which I am not yet convinced that it should, we will oppose in the strongest possible terms the notion that equivalent shares must be paid by all. To expect the Concordat, which has little in the way of material wealth, to pay an equal amount as the much wealthier Vonicci or Emerald Empire would be unjust - a sum that those wealthier nations can easily absorb would be a significant strain on our own resources, to say nothing of how crippling such a cost might be to the Verisangans. The only way to ensure that such a scheme would be attainable by all nations present would be to make that sum so small as to make the Treasury virtually useless."

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kara-108

"We respectfully disagree with our Glassbound friend." She tips her head in the direction of the previous speaker. "The additional bureaucratic work of the financial censi needed for all nations to determine relative worth would be profound. We would be spending funds, time and energy before we produced anything for a central treasury."

"For those who cannot meet their designated quotas, trade with more financially secure nations should result - opening up new opportunities for connection and commerce between us."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thax

Thax gestures towards the Illuminarch.

"Calerik's statement echoes my thoughts. The Queendom has wealth, but little need. Our lands provide for us. While we do not mind extending goodwill by supporting our fellow members, we are unlikely to draw from this pool ourselves and see little need in it. We would be more likely to help with specifics."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

The Mother Superior smiles at first, merchants were kept in their place for the most part - beneath notice or power.

And then she hears the T word. The smile disappears. She sits quietly for a few minutes while others argue, and then speaks up herself.

"Verisanga is opposed to any form of currency. We will not contribute to this fund, or draw from it, under any circumstance." She says, as politely as possible.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
The League of Makeo

“Well now.” the Captain remarked to herself, her second head waving lazily in the air before settling across the back of the chair. That had gone well enough, there was only one Advisor selected that she hadn’t signed her name to. Perhaps more importantly, Untalan’s preferred magical Advisor had been passed over by exactly one vote, a vote he could have had if he’d deigned to bargain with her. Maybe that knowledge would bring him to the table in the future … though, perhaps, she would make her next offer privately. The Mother Superior had, after all, set that precedent.

“If this is Council is to exert any kind of authority in our homelands, we are going to need resources of our own.” Levi said, shifting in her seat and leaning forward now, showing some interest now that they were beyond the stage of appointing the help. “A vote of nay is as good as voting to waste our time here at the start of each month.”

Of course, the League was fairly affluent, she knew how many back home would want her to vote. Equal shares meant that a budget beyond what the Suvok could muster would be impossible to muster. For nations like her own, it would be a pittance to match that price. A show of solidarity with no spirit to it. The fact that it would keep their coffers thin and their power checked would also be attractive to the independently minded Leaguers.

Damned shame they couldn’t be bothered to fill the post themselves then, isn’t it?, she thought with a cold little smile.

The League votes to provide support equal to our wealth.” she said, nodding her head, “Let us neither overly beleaguer the less fortunate among us, nor shirk our responsibilities.”

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

Turning to the sky-captain,

"With respect, I do not consider that to be the case."

He gestured at the vast hall, those present, a broad, sweeping wave.

"Its authority rests upon the constituent nations, we who voluntarily participate in this work. It is clearly not devoid of resources. The option to decline a centralized treasury would not be on the table if they were not capable of functioning on their own werewithal. However..."

He looked across at Laizon of the Matriarchy.

"We cannot willingly countenance resources taken from another member nation by force or coercion against their will. The Matriarchy have expressed their profound opposition to a centralised treasury. Therefore, our principles decree that, unless and until an equitable solution to that impasse is found, we must vote Nay on the issue of a centralised treasury. Address their concerns and ours and then we may have room to alter our perspective, but as things stand this is where we will need to be."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir tips his pipe in Calerik's direction.

"I am in agreement with the Fenadesh. Hoarding wealth without purpose is pointless. If there is need, let us meet it as circumstance requires."

He brings his hands together, cradling his wife's keepsake between them.

"As to filling that need, the Surov is in no position to do so. We are a developing people. We are the ones who would most require such a thing, and we are not so naive as to expect aid without compensation. We cannot fuel this charity, nor do we wish to borrow from its coffers. We oppose this treasury."

"However." He raises two fingers to rest against his temple. "It may come to pass we have no choice. If this choice is not ours, I ask we be sparred this call for equivalence. A weak horse cannot carry the same load as a strong one. Each horse carries what it can. A worthless horse is eaten, but the man who overburdens his horse is worse."

Mir narrows his vision at the end, only barely. That's right. We are still the weak horse in this arena. We must become strong, but we are not yet.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kara-108 - Steambound Hegemony

Justice Grieves posted:

The League votes to provide support equal to our wealth.” she said, nodding her head, “Let us neither overly beleaguer the less fortunate among us, nor shirk our responsibilities.”

"Continued dialog on the need of centralization is required. In this moment, however, I wish to dive deeper into the concept of disparate shares - should centralization be achieved."

"The Hegemony is willing to shoulder a higher portion of the wealth and currency burden. We recognize hard percentages do not always accurately reflect reality. For example, we do not require as much tax-labor from Stambound with lesser energy-storage units."

"However, will this precedent be honored in the future?"

"If a martial threat lands upon these shores or vomits forth from the planes. Will we meet it in war with the same considerations? The Steambound are not a numerous people. Will the Queendom and the Emerald Empire supply five or ten of their citizens to each of our one?"

"Does this not endanger the question: Are our people more valuable than others?"

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Ixtli nodded towards the representative from the Surov.

"I am in partial agreement. If there is need, let us meet it as circumstance requires. There is wisdom in those words. And I vote nay."

He paused.

"However... Should need arise-- and I believe need will arise-- I see no reason why the response shouldn't be simple. Equal votes. Equal shares. Ten nations. Ten equal contributions." He looked around the room. "If a nation fears they cannot meet the amount deemed necessary for the budget then we should not budget that amount."

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
The League of Makeo

"If I may?" the Captain asked, inclining her head slightly.

"You don't wait to harvest food until you're hungry. An apothecary does not wait to gather herbs until they are presented with the sick. A ship's Captain does not wait to search for crew until he's out at sea." Levi said, a bit tensely, scooting forward in her chair.

"This council, I was told, exists to facillitate cooperation between our lands, but also to address emergencies that impact us all." there was a sharp click as her beak snapped, "When the Sherrak is at your door, it's too late to be rummaging in your pockets for the coin to procure a weapon. Hesitation may cost citizens their lives, or deny us options that would have been available were we quicker to act."

"Furthermore, a treasury means that when the unexpected does occur, we have savings on hand. The money put forward against an uncertain future means that less need be generated in the heat of the moment." she said, taking a moment to rasp another deep breath through her mask.

"Even pirates understand the notion of a rumrunner's share." she said, "An even split for the crew, and a share to the ship to cover communal needs. If we're not in this together, we'd be better served to pursue independent agreements. The founders chose otherwise, and to dishonor that is to tarnish their legacy and bend their intent. I'm not yet so great as to escape the wake of Admiral Maeko, do any of you think yourselves greater than your own founder?"

At that, the Captain paused, the lights in her eyes dimming from a blink.

"Ahem." she pushed herself back in her chair, "Pardon me, I seem to have forgotten myself for a moment." she said, retreating back behind her wine for a moment.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thax

Thax clicks his mandibles a few times. This seems to be a combination of thought and throat-clearing.

"Well spoken, Sky-Captain. Your point rings true as well. My other issue beyond the more singular is this; We, as a group, chose Gal Hassan as our Economic Adviser, and they have advised us not to move forward with this treasury. Forgive me, fellow Councillors,"

At this, Thax sweeps his arm towards the other thrones, addressing the room

"But this one wonders what the point of electing advisers was if we go against their advice almost immediately?"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

He made a gesture of acknowledgement to the representative from the Queendom, then turned to the Captain once more.

"If I may offer a counterpoint: You do not make a meal and leave it to rot for days until you wish to eat it. An apothecary does not glut the healthy with curatives when there is no need to do so. A Captain does not seek a crew before acquiring a vessel for them to work on. Resources that are simply piled up because of some future use, but not invested in the mean time, are a waste. Throwing money into an empty pit in the hope that there is some good that will come of it is pointless. If there are contingency plans, let us hear them! Let us hear what collective responses would be to potential hypothetical issues, how much they would cost and when. If there are to be investment programmes, spell them out! Let us know the good the money will do, and precisely how it will be costed. Captain, if a stranger asked you for a share of your income to set themselves up, but was entirely nebulous as to what they would be doing or if you would either be repaid or ever get your money's worth, would you empty your purse for them? As below, so above. We need details. We need costed proposals. We need fiscal responsibility demonstrated. We are not going to cast our money blindly away without good reason."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

(OCC: Legacy is a major Verisagan concept - a sort of living collective national soul. It's not a metaphor to them, it's a very real thing. A living, breathing thing that must be tended and cared for.)

"Setting aside, for a moment, the fact my people reject the concepts of commerce and currency. We have other concerns."

The Mother Superior's hands wrap around one another. A tight ball of scarred tissue and bone.

"This sort of centralization of power is against everything we fought for in the War, everything we sacrificed. Everything we lost."

She pauses for a moment, and looks down at her hands.

"We gave up so much to be free, and you wish to start throwing it away so quickly?"

Her voice takes on a rare intensity. It's the sound of sand against steel, a rasping scratchy noise.

"This is only the start of a chain of events that leads to a new King. A chain that will be wrapped around all our wrists, around all our necks."

She looks at each person at the table in turn, there is something in her faded blue eyes that only soldiers can understand. A clear meaning transmitted to them and them alone.

"I don't want to give up on our freedom. I don't want to watch what we fought for die by degrees. I believe in this council, I believe in the freedom, and the Legacy, of each and every nation at this table."

She leans back in her chair, and her robes swallow her up again. A rattling sigh escapes her throat.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 17, 2017

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
[img][/img]

Gwynivette swallowed some bile. None of her appointments had gotten in. A quick survey of the room revealed she wasn't the only one dissapointed. One councilor was behind a carafe of wine. Another was chewing his pipe. Actually, that was a decent point, wasn't it?

She reached then into her bag and retrieved from it and gold trimmed snapping pocket, sturdy backed and containing fifteen tremendously expensive hand rolled cigarettes. Each was topped in a different, vibrant, color. A moments contemplation saw her select the cigarette with a midnight purple end, snap the pocket closed and return it to her bag. The thrones didn't swivel, didn't need to exactly but she was still far more accustomed to office chairs for meetings like these. And she wished she could swivel her chair to face the advisors directly. Makeo was saying something impassioned in the background, and for Gwynivette it really was in the background. She just kept thinking about those four plucky young advisors. Those lucky, well connected bureaucrats. This preposterous counicl's preposterous helpers.

She had lit her cigarette now. And the smoke was beautifully, solidly, midnight purple. She gestured for the advisors to come a little closer. They did so, hesitantly. GWynn vetted raised one eyebrow at the lot of them and blew a fountain of magical purple smoke aggressively forward.

"Look, I just want you to know," She said leaning forward and speaking softer. "That I didn't vote for any of you. And I don't like any of you. Except maybe you." She said pointing to the magic and theology advisor. "I can maybe get behind you. The rest of you are woeful disappointments..." She collected herself then, took another haunting puff of purple smoke and made the "Shoo" gesture with her hands. She returned her interest to the diplomacy happening now and not the lost causes of old battles past.

"Vonicci openly and flatly refuses to pay into any sort of communal treasury. Of any kind. Whatsoever. We won't be made to share a currency or a market with any nation we have not established prior financial contracts with. If these points are unacceptable Vonicci will leave the council." She hoped that would make the right kind of splash. Although she was sure there were members who hardly considered it threatiening. She hadn't made a lot of friends today. "

"We aren't here to unify. Or if we are Vonicci wants no parts of it. None of us agreed when we came here to become the patron of some strange city of impartials. And if all ten of our nation's sponsor these "nationless", well I envy the standard of living they'll grow accustomed to. Finest on the continent no doubt."

She took a break to smoke then. And it was a break. Awkwardly long, multiple draws. Eventually she returned to the conversation. "Set up a roulette or something for the Nationless. Each of our nation's can sponsor them for a year, in a cycle. One tough year out of ten is doable for everyone here. And it makes sure they don't get more than they deserve, the nationless. They'll live as good as the people they're supposedly representing. And they'll get to feel what life is like in every nation on the continent."

"Sound fair to everyone?" She raised her eyebrows conspiratorial at the other councilors. Maybe she was having fun.that cigarette helped.

Gwynivette refuses to participate in any sort of common treasury and proposes instead that the Nationless be cared for by the ten council nations in turns, for year long tenures.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

Very quietly, very calmly, the Glassmage speaks once more in short, clipped sentences. "In our prior vote and again on this matter we have already seen multiple ultimatums and statements about refusing to recognize the will of this Council. I understand that tempers - and, indeed, stakes - are high. But I also understand that we all agreed to come here of our own free will; no one forced us. Compromises can be found, alternatives can be negotiated, and discussion serves us all better than drawing lines in the sand.

"If this Council is going to accomplish anything, it will need its members not to cut its proverbial legs out from beneath it before we have even finished our first meeting, so I am going to politely request that maybe we should all pause before saying 'we will not under any circumstances do that,' no matter what the 'that' under discussion might be, and see if perhaps alternatives can be found instead of ultimatums; because otherwise, what are we all even doing here?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

The only saving grace, Lila muses, as she mutters and marks out parts of her notes, is that neither Hyderian succeeded. At least that won't set off a wave of recrimination and charges of favoritism back home. She'll have to try to sell it as getting acceptable if not ideal candidates, versus outright odious ones. There will always be a new round of appointments another day. A problem she'll deal with another day.

Mother Superior's comment gets a mis-timed laugh from Lila, who winds up shaking her head and shrugging. Not needing money. Seriously?

"In this debate," Lila speaks up, "We seem to have glazed over the issue of purpose. Hyderia takes no issue with contributing to the ongoing operations of this council. Its value in preventing war and facilitating trade is obvious. Beyond that, I would ask what any reasonable investor would ask of a new venture - funds for what end? I agree, Mother Superior, that this Council should not be a recreation of a Kingdom by another name. Yet Captain Levi's point is also a good one - maintenance of roads, waterways, and ports, for instance, benefit all realms. I would propose that, in the case of a general treasury, we clearly delineate the acceptable uses for such funds, and the method for approving disbursement. Alternately, we could create separate funds to support varied interests, to which each Nation could contribute as fits its particular interests."

She clears her throat. "Councillor Untalan," Lila says, "It was my understanding that this Council was to be a forum for diplomatic discourse among free and independent states. Surely you can see how the proposal of general fund, to enforce the Council's will, would seem to position us as masters, not as equals."

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 17, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Mother Laizon's eyebrow raises when the two merchant states agree with her one after the other. She permits herself the smallest of smiles when Skye finishes.

"This would be an acceptable compromise, we would be willing to donate corpse-labor and engineers for the purpose of maintaining roads throughout the continent."

She turns to Gwynivette.

"I would also be amenable to that solution."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Untalan

"Lady Skye, I am taking no position on the issue as yet; I am, in truth, sympathetic to your arguments. All I am saying is that no one made us come to this Council. We all agreed to show up - and we all agreed to abide by its decisions. And before we have finished with even the second item on our agenda, multiple representatives have threatened to simply disregard a vote if it doesn't go in the direction that they want. Which undercuts the entire point of having a Council in the first place."

The Glassmage shrugs almost theatrically. "I mean to say, I am certain many of us have other things we could be doing with our time, so perhaps we should not undermine our very purpose for being here on the very first day. Yes?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"I am answerable to my government. Appointments are one thing, but serious expenditures would require the approval of the Hyderian Council of Merchants. I would think I have some sway, and a well constructed scheme would likely gain their support. That is why *I* am here, to aid in crafting agreement as broadly acceptable as possible. If some members choose not to participate in certain initiatves, I have no particular objection. They are sovereign states free to choose their own way, as is Hyderia."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Calerik Delveris

With a nod to the two merchants,

"There does seem to be a strong consensus forming against the proposal for an unspecified general fund as postulated, but in favour of clearer, more direct itemised funding or assistance in kind. So, shall we try to collectively move forward along those lines and discuss options that may be amenable to all, such as the clearly indicated separate funds idea or the rotating support idea?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mir Baator

Mir looks to Hassan in silent acknowledgement. The advisor nods, and stands firm. For all his stammering, his senses were sharp and finely-tuned. Mir could relax a little.

"It is not my intention to confound our efforts, but for us this is a matter of simple practicality. We have not the means, nor will we for some time. If you would set the standard by us, the sum collected will be paltry. Even that would come at great cost to us, while the affluent nations bleed without notice. If the cost were scaled, still, our contributions would remain negligible next to that of our neighbors. We could not, in faith, withdraw from such a fund. Even in our hour of need. We will not impose on the charity of our peers. We will not be coddled, but we cannot and will not pay money we do not have."

He takes a sip from his pipe.

"However...alternatives have been proposed which are not unacceptable to us." He turns to the machine, to Kara. "To exchange goods for services. That is the oldest way. At long last we have snatched at peace, yet our army remains, many and strong. If you are saying you would cover our cost in exchange for military protection, perhaps some arrangement could be made. Or perhaps..." He turns from Kara to Gwynivette who, for the first time, he sees eye to eye. "We cannot be saddled with this cost now, but...if our turn were to come in some years time, that might prove more feasible."

Holding his pipe upside down, he knocks it against the side of his chair, spilling loose ash and stray flecks of cinder. He exhales a long, thin stream of smoke.

"But all this is meaningless while we remain ignorant of what we're paying for. What is this treasury to cover? Mere living expenses for those in the castle? If so, we are arguing over a nonissue to begin with. Is it for the sake of emergencies? Projects of mutual benefit? I must know these things if I am to be swayed in any direction."

He stares expectantly at the facilitator.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 17, 2017

• Locked thread