Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The terrible 'caravan hand' you hired was actually a daytaler, who tend to have worse stats.

I think it would be good if you hovered over the traits to show their effects to those that don't play - I think being fat is a neutral trait (:goonsay:) since you get +10 HP for -10 fatigue (fatigue is more useful but you can just level accordingly to balance it out)

Yeah, this is one of the dangers of post commentary. The longer i take to make these videos the farther removed I am from the events. It's also easy to see that past me is playing to get through these two weeks as opposed to putting on a good show.

Quality will pick up on day 15. I'll be a little more conscious of the audience, and I may even switch to live commentary, depending on just how much alone time I can get for recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

While the plot fell over hard for awhile around there it wasn't as bad as the last Dread Empire book, though to be fair he slapped two plots together because the script was stolen.
If you say so. I think I dropped it around Book 6 or 7, the interest just wasn't there and the series pretty much gave up on its main strength of "a band of hopelessly outlclassed schmucks is doing its best to survive in a war they don't understand half the rules of". Then Cook started doing cataclysmic mythology into it and it just wasn't very well done.

Admittedly, I haven't read anything from Dread Empire.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i really only read the first book because it got sold to me as low fantasy but especially by the battle of charm magic was pretty ubiquitous. kinda figured cook wouldn't be able to resist tossing more and more magic on the fire to top himself and that's like my least favorite thing in fantasy books

the Captain remained a great source of quotable material though and since this game was directly inspired by black company a lot of his lines come to my mind when I'm playing it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think Cook's biggest problem is he has no idea how to pace the endings of his books, really. I'd still read another company or empire book though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The terrible 'caravan hand' you hired was actually a daytaler, who tend to have worse stats.

I think it would be good if you hovered over the traits to show their effects to those that don't play - I think being fat is a neutral trait (:goonsay:) since you get +10 HP for -10 fatigue (fatigue is more useful but you can just level accordingly to balance it out)

you can also lose the fat trait.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Sign me up! I me some good polearming!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Sign me up for the grinder!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sign me up to die! It's my favorite thing!

glocknar
May 17, 2017
Count me in, I'm ready to kill or be killed! DEATH OR GLORY :black101:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

New episode up:

4- Outrunning the Bear - A How-to

My new way of recording audio appears to have brought in some guest commentators detectable by those with pretty good headphones, though I talk pretty much constantly making it only a mild annoyance.

Guest appearances include:

My A/C Unit
My Cat, Ellie

I'll at least have the A/C off for the next recording session. My cat will still be a cat.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Alright, I figure I might as well sign up for possible glory and probable death.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Bought this game and holy gently caress is it harsh. Dudes just keep dying.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Early game is like that. Your bros are fragile and need some coddling before they become more valuable than the equipment they are wearing. Focus on raising the value of your company via equipment -> bros -> renown (in that order) for early game.

You reach a point eventually that you have decent gear even for your rookies, and you no longer have to rely on luck to leep them alive.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sign me up! Preferably as a ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog*.

*large and vicious dog also accepted

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Affi posted:

Shields. Shields are your friends. As are spears for low melee skill. Armor is the second most important thing next to shields.

also learn to pick your fights. retreating right on the first turn will never kill anyone, just injure.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pierzak posted:

Sign me up! Preferably as a ratcatcher with a small but vicious dog*.

*large and vicious dog also accepted

Sadly there's no Terrier-type dogs in this game. Just European-style warhounds, which makes sense. But that sadly means no Zerg Rushing some confused goblins with a massive horde of Jack Russells.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
My Life for Aiur gold coins and ale!
Wanna be an archer and shoot people in the face.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SugarAddict posted:

My Life for Aiur gold coins and ale!
Wanna be an archer and shoot people in the face.

Please make sure they have the zealot background following this quote.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Archers can be religious zealots, especially if they worship gold and ale and the holy glory that is headshots.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Shields. Shields are your friends. As are spears for low melee skill. Armor is the second most important thing next to shields.

also learn to pick your fights. retreating right on the first turn will never kill anyone, just injure.

What are the better weapon mastery skills, once you start getting that far? I have a bunch of flails (level 3?) from killing a group of raiders, but they seem pretty low damage compared to the level one and two axes and swords I've found as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Flails have a large damage range but their best value is in ignoring shields. I like to keep one or two around should I be dealing with a tanky opponent others have trouble defeating. Sometimes, like an Orc Warrior, it's a bad idea to destroy their shield because then they two hand their weapon, so flails are great for beating their defense while going for head shots.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Affi posted:

This game will kill you if you gently caress up.
It will kill you if you hire the wrong man
It will kill you if you give your men the wrong weapons.
It will kill you if you take the wrong contract.
It will kill you because it's funny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that last one most of all

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Flails have a large damage range but their best value is in ignoring shields. I like to keep one or two around should I be dealing with a tanky opponent others have trouble defeating. Sometimes, like an Orc Warrior, it's a bad idea to destroy their shield because then they two hand their weapon, so flails are great for beating their defense while going for head shots.

Flails are extra useful against bandits because they usually either have lovely headgear or none at all, which is just pure profit with a few Flail troopers.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Would love to see this LP go the distance, last one puttered out real quick.
Sign me up for the death train! No preference on weapons, armor or background.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Arcturas posted:

What are the better weapon mastery skills, once you start getting that far? I have a bunch of flails (level 3?) from killing a group of raiders, but they seem pretty low damage compared to the level one and two axes and swords I've found as well.

Some argue that they don't take a weapon mastery skill. But some are obviously better than others. I assume your back line sticks to one class of weapon regardless. All mastery skills decrease fatigue costs by 25%, which is huge for heavier weapons like maces and axes.

Like just mentioned now, flails are nice for getting headshots, and the skill actually removes the accuracy malus for the head targeting action, and causes the basic attack to ignore shields as well. Off the top of my head, I know the spear mastery makes Spearwall so it's still active even if someone makes it in melee range. Daggers reduced AP cost to let you get another hit in per turn... and Bow mastery increases the range by one.

Course, skill choices could be argued all day. Head over the games thread for it if you want more detailed advice.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Sign me up for meatshield duty. I'll take whatever I can get.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I'm loving all these volunteers. Thanks for participating, Goons.

We've reached the end of week one in game, and I'm working on the audio bits for week 2.

Goon names are coming. I'll be going according to post order for those without preferences.

The folks that want to be X will be put in as I can fit them into the playthrough. If I can't find your preferred background or the right combination of stats for your weapon, I'll certainly be on the lookout. You may end up being Spear/Shield bro #26 until I can grow your stats in such a way that you won't instantly die the moment I issue you your weapon of choice.

Also, when we reach day 15, the thread will be a little bit more involved with the playthrough. While I'm down there with the Bros, making the moment to moment decisions, I'll be taking the thread's advice on the general direction of the company. I'll be the Captain while you guys are a few links up the chain like Brigadier Generals.

e.g. "This week, should we focus more heavily on: gear, coin, manpower, faction reputation, or renown?" or "Can we find a use for this melon-fucker we just hired?"

Thread discussion on strategic level decisions would be awesome, and I'll do my damnedest to follow the spirit of Goon opinion.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sign me up as someone tanky

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Signing up. A crossbowbro or an archer, if possible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sign me up to die!

I love this game. I would kill to have this game's combat engine used for, say, a Myth game (which is fitting because that series, too, was inspired by Black Company).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Night10194 posted:

Sign me up to die!

I love this game. I would kill to have this game's combat engine used for, say, a Myth game (which is fitting because that series, too, was inspired by Black Company).

I'd love to see the opposite, this overworld for Myth style fights. Myth was so good.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd love to see the opposite, this overworld for Myth style fights. Myth was so good.

I would just love a Myth game with a persistent roster of personalities to get murdered when the Dwarf fucks up, you know?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

New episode:

5- The Brothers Burkhard

Also, we have an obituary now in the OP.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 19, 2017

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Sign me up to die a pointless death! I want as big a hammer as possible.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I thought you were going into a death spiral there, but I see you manged to pull out of it, and managed to get some amazing guys.

How many original guys do you have left? I don't think you have any originals left.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

The only original Bro I've lost is Havard. The two other guys I've lost are from the day 1 recruitment rush though. Lost my graverobber and peddler, but all the fishermen seem to be hanging in there. Maybe there's something to be said for a life of labor and protein rich lunches.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Sign Me Up As a large, angry Flailman. Crushing heads for the gold, ale, and wenches.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'd like to sign up as a pole arm user, if we have spots for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Elpato posted:

The only original Bro I've lost is Havard. The two other guys I've lost are from the day 1 recruitment rush though. Lost my graverobber and peddler, but all the fishermen seem to be hanging in there. Maybe there's something to be said for a life of labor and protein rich lunches.

Fishers and farmers are honestly pretty solid dudes. Their melee skill with need nurturing, of course, but they've got decent health and fatigue to start, which can be the difference between 'ow poo poo i have a concussion from that club' and 'BLEARGH- +1 obituary'

• Locked thread