Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

Isn't the apache foundation where you're supposed to send software to die?

that's where netbeans is going, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Skim Milk posted:

dynamically-typed lang bros are welcome too

javascript is good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Java is a good language but every jvm sucks rear end and every program written in Java is worse

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bloody posted:

Java is a good language but every jvm sucks rear end and every program written in Java is worse

this post is so completely divorced from reality that i have to wonder if you are some sort of markov bot

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
perl5 for life. Holding poo poo together with unit tests ervryday.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

carry on then posted:

this post is so completely divorced from reality that i have to wonder if you are some sort of markov bot

we're all bots down here

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Skim Milk posted:

we're all bots down here

DO YOU BELIEVE IT IS NORMAL TO BE ALL BOTS DOWN HERE

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ibm opensourced their j9 jvm

though the opensource version is still really rough around the edges so it can't run things like intellij IDEA (v important)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Condiv posted:

though the opensource version is still really rough around the edges so it can't run things like intellij IDEA (v important)

the proest jvm for intelliJ remains openJDK with proper infinality font rendering compiled in

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Condiv posted:

iirc the core is actually the java 9 vm even for java 8, not even websphere is fully tested with that yet

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

carry on then posted:

iirc the core is actually the java 9 vm even for java 8, not even websphere is fully tested with that yet

yeah I've been testing it and benching it recently and it seems p interesting. its jit seems more powerful than openjdk's, considering I'm getting like 2x speedup on some jmh microbenches I wrote

apparently it's got jit-caching too, eliminating warmup. haven't seen it yet tho, might require special config. oh and apparently it can use the gpu for something?

still learning its knobs

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fasterthanlime/status/909832047765663746

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just remembered about project looking glass

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

ibm's jvm implementation has always been called j9

it has nothing to do with java 9

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this is a work of art

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ibm's jvm implementation has always been called j9

it has nothing to do with java 9

lmao

i meant exactly what i said

the core of the ibm jre is using the jvm that supports java se 9, even if you are downloading the one that claims to be for java se 8, as of openj9 sr5.

this is a move to standardize on one core to make support easier, since websphere nd still only runs on java 8

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

lmao

i meant exactly what i said

the core of the ibm jre is using the jvm that supports java se 9, even if you are downloading the one that claims to be for java se 8, as of openj9 sr5.

this is a move to standardize on one core to make support easier, since websphere nd still only runs on java 8

fair enough, i guess

openjdk did this with java 6 support -- they took the java source 7 tree and tried to "backport" to java 6

burning swine
May 26, 2004

classic htop right there

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

openj9 is becoming more stable and I'm using it for my system java. it's p nice and consumes less memory than openjdk for a webserver I'm developing (about 0.6x the ram use reported by the os) while having near the same performance

still some bugs though. found a nasty bug in their jitc yesterday that was hanging an app of mine

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
C# is better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

openj9 is becoming more stable and I'm using it for my system java. it's p nice and consumes less memory than openjdk for a webserver I'm developing (about 0.6x the ram use reported by the os) while having near the same performance

still some bugs though. found a nasty bug in their jitc yesterday that was hanging an app of mine

openj9 is still openjdk

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

C# is better

yes, c# is a better language. unfortunately language quality is a secondary issue, because c# ties you to a terribly impoverished platform

using java, in preference to c#, is the price you pay for a multivendor ecosystem with a wide and thriving set of open source projects

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

c# is better. too bad windows sucks so much.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows is the best and the only thing c# is really missing is maven

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also visual studio. is it slow with medium to large size solutions, or what?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

windows is the best and the only thing c# is really missing is maven

c# is missing maven for the same reason it is missing every useful open source library

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bobbilljim posted:

C# is better

piss is better than poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

piss is better than poo poo

piss is sterile

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

c# is missing maven for the same reason it is missing every useful open source library

other than maven whats missing?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

other than maven whats missing?

it is much easier to enumerate what is actually present. in c#-land, all you have is what microsoft provides: razor and wpf.

on the java side you get a ton of poo poo that is just absent from the c# land. this isn't even close to an exhaustive list. it's just what i thought of off the top of my head
  • javafx
  • jconsole
  • spring
  • dropwizard
  • spark (shout-out to my distributed computing bros)
  • pirc (for y'all in the irc knitting circle!)
  • jarduino (for the hobbyists in our midst)
  • android (sad as it is)
  • apacheds (because gently caress active directory)
  • h2 / derby (because while sql server is awesome, its distribution terms and embeddable libraries are not)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
most of those are bad or deprecated and aside from maybe jconsole(which is 1st party) have better options in .net

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

most of those are bad or deprecated and aside from maybe jconsole(which is 1st party) have better options in .net

please name them (the better options) and shame them (the deprecated and bad)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
.net is such a sad ecosystem i can just shout out random poo poo i've used in the past week and that poo poo is absent on the c# side

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javafx, dropwizard, and spark are all worse than the native .net equivalents (wpf/uwp and asp.net)
spring is deprecated
the rest is either hobbyist stuff like Arduino or irc libs or garbage like android or apacheds. like serious lmao if you're still clinging to 3rd party garbage directory services in 2017. AD is so much better than all of them.
I'm guessing their are irc libs for .net, but idk for sure cause irc hasn't been relevant for over a decade. maybe you should also list a mailing list framework, lol.

h2s not bad tho. I'm not sure if theres an exact equivalent in .net tho cause ive never had a use case for all of it. Either I want something embedded in which case SQL Server embedded or I want something multiuser in which case sql server (express, azure, or enterprise by requirements).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

.net is such a sad ecosystem i can just shout out random poo poo i've used in the past week and that poo poo is absent on the c# side

maybe, but more than likely none of it is actually relevant.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like you're claiming the ecosystem is bad because it doesn't have commons-logging or something.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

javafx, dropwizard, and spark are all worse than the native .net equivalents (wpf/uwp and asp.net)

wpf is non-portable

spark has no equivalent in .net, unless you think someone is out there using excel with "windows for grid computing" or whatever they are caling it this week

asp.net is pretty good if we are talking about razor. but it effectively limits your deployment to windows, which means you can only work in windows shops, which is a self-defeating measure at best

Shaggar posted:

spring is deprecated

spring alone is bigger than the entire .net std lib

i assure you it is not deprecated

Shaggar posted:

the rest is either hobbyist stuff like Arduino or irc libs or garbage like android or apacheds. like serious lmao if you're still clinging to 3rd party garbage directory services in 2017. AD is so much better than all of them.

active directory is far and away the worst directory service on the market. the only reason it is deployed anywhere is as a mirror of a real directory service for use by windows clients

not that anyone is using apacheds for their main directory service. just it's handy in java for standing up toy directory services in test frameworks or small deployments. additionally it provides a set of wonderful cross-platform and cross-vendor client libraries so you can connect an eclipse-like development environment to any production environment from any vendor.

naturally AD, ADAM, and visual studio make any of these use cases a loving nightmare, because microsoft.

Shaggar posted:

h2s not bad tho. I'm not sure if theres an exact equivalent in .net tho cause ive never had a use case for all of it. Either I want something embedded in which case SQL Server embedded or I want something multiuser in which case sql server (express, azure, or enterprise by requirements).

microsoft did all the leg work to make an h2-like product possible, but as usual, their infighting and greed got in the way. it's impossible to stand up sql server reliably for tests, and no sql server-like product is meaningfully compatible.

(sql server embedded isn't sql server, isn't derived from the same codebase, and isn't compatible on any level lol)

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Sometimes I'm like "you know, java is okay, maybe I even like it a little"

then I use something like JAXB and its like "no sir I definitely do not like this!"

Shaggar posted:

spring is deprecated

lol :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

spark has no equivalent in .net, unless you think someone is out there using excel with "windows for grid computing" or whatever they are caling it this week

asp.net is pretty good if we are talking about razor. but it effectively limits your deployment to windows, which means you can only work in windows shops, which is a self-defeating measure at best
C# and F# language binding and extensions to Apache Spark

Visual Studio for Mac - Introduction to Razor Pages in ASP.NET Core

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft did all the leg work to make an h2-like product possible, but as usual, their infighting and greed got in the way. it's impossible to stand up sql server reliably for tests, and no sql server-like product is meaningfully compatible.

(sql server embedded isn't sql server, isn't derived from the same codebase, and isn't compatible on any level lol)
apt-get install -y mssql-server

Also, you guys are talking about SQL Server Compact Edition (not Embedded), and SQL Server Compact Edition is dead, so stop using it.

• Locked thread