Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Lone Badger posted:

Also the Offworld Angel comes with a tractor beam.

Yeah, it and the Brick are great. The Brick allows for hilarious shenanigans, the Angel is a big quality of life boost and means you never take lasting damage from getting spaced or shot.

The Sovereign whatsit and the Glitch are basically entirely just quality of life with a tiny improvement in time limit situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Thor-Stryker posted:

Helpful Tips for Newbies:
  • Armored+Explosive targets: Place 'Glitch Traps' and set them to teleport your enemy into space, then lure your armored+explosive target to them and let the cold grip of space take care of them. Concussive grenade-launchers also knock them out without exploding.

See also windows, the rooms with a pile of red and very explosive stuff in them. Armor piercing swords can be thrown and still pierce armour.

Also! When doing an action, the big bubble that appears shows how far away it can be heard. For guns it's centred on you, for melee weapons it's centred on the target.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

e:

Extreme range glitch trap, 3 charges. Range comparison

Range is always measured in rooms. Normal is one room, long is 1.5, extreme is 2. It's nice to see visually though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Thank you, which ever one of you named your concussion hammer "Stop!" I now have an excuse to turn Mercy into a twin-hammer weilding binker of God.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

Helpful Tips for Newbies:
  • When you retire with a weapon/tool, you can rename it, I expect to see more butts.

HOW DO YOU RENAME IT?! I got my first personal mission win and it didn't give me a cursor or anything to rename the weapon when I retired.

For that matter, can you name your guys at all?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wish we could get attributes on melee weapons.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Also, you can do all sorts of terrible things with 2 shotguns

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

duckfarts posted:

HOW DO YOU RENAME IT?! I got my first personal mission win and it didn't give me a cursor or anything to rename the weapon when I retired.

When you select a weapon to retire with, you'll see a box that has the character's name + weapon name, you can click that and edit it.

The Lone Badger posted:

I wish we could get attributes on melee weapons.

There is the piercing-armor attribute at least!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

duckfarts posted:

When you retire, click the name that pops up. It's [character name]'s [item] by default, but you can name it whatever.

You can even get some pretty long names:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I can't stress enough about Treasure boxes, I played for almost five hours before figuring them out:

Each faction has a different coloured one, so far their drops are entirely random.

Enemies also carry items:

Generally not as powerful as what's in a chest, but sometimes gives you that crash/subverter you forgot to bring on your mission.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

There is the piercing-armor attribute at least!

But I can't get an Armour-Piercing Concussion Hammer or Quiet Wrench like I can with guns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

When you retire, click the name that pops up. It's [character name]'s [item] by default, but you can name it whatever.

You can even get some pretty long names:

ayyyy, that was mine! glad it went to a good home that can appreciate it for the piece of poo poo it is

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, doing defector missions unlocks the defector at that station. You can talk to them for extra backstory.

Like how there used to be one more faction in the area before Fiasco showed up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh, doing defector missions unlocks the defector at that station. You can talk to them for extra backstory.

I noticed something like that in the mouse over but never investigated it. Cool!

I really hope he does a lot more work on this aside from the biweekly or whatever new items, but I am very happy with my purchase.

Maybe add, like, a batch of crazier positive properties attached to negative ones.

Positive: gain a one second shield on use
Negative: generates a loud sound when it expires

Obviously broken on a lot of items but you get the idea.

Also more enemy types and deployments and whatnot.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 24, 2017

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

More AI routines please. The guards are really static and it'd be nice to get some more movement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

6 guys watching a single turret is standard Offworld Security doctrine.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Synthbuttrange posted:

holy poo poo didn't realize this.

Questioning an Offworld Security defector about their No Lethal Weapons policy is amazing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Synthbuttrange posted:

6 5 guys watching a single turret while one guy patrols into a wrench is standard Offworld Security doctrine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

duckfarts posted:

Not that I've seen. But what I started doing was taking a look at the character switch area to nab a good when I saw it, which is how I ended up with Matee Messier. You have four slots, no trouble to keep three in rotation and still have a free slot for a rescue or whatnot.

Also the names are generated from two text files in the install directory, Forenames.txt and Surnames.txt. I bet you could add more names to that if you wanted to.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Synthbuttrange posted:

6 5 4 guys watching a single turret while one guy checks his email on a remarkably reflection-free screen is standard Offworld Security doctrine.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Gotta say, I'm not really liking this game.

Well, no, that's not true. It's a good game, it's well thought out and you can do a lot of poo poo, but you've probably seen all of the content it has to effort in a hour - down to the mission types, ship layouts and just in general gameplay routine. I've enjoyed what I've played, but I've hit the point of "alright lemme speed run these ships YAWN, my personal mission is either armor dudes (sword and nade time) or shield dudes (stealth and key theft time) voosh."

It's one of those bizarre things where "hey, you have a huge puzzle box of stuff and options, as well as secret interwoven mechanics, to tackle these five challenges!" I'm disappointed. I'm still getting my money's worth and I'll probably clock in like fourteen hours or so, but it still feels like it fell short to me.

Also Glitcher ships are satan

Beyond that, though, a tip; the things that look like dynamite sticks on the floor are actually the ship's engines. (I guess it's fuel tanks?) You can shoot them to blow them up a few seconds later, destroying the room. More importantly, if you destroy all the ship engines - which tend to be near your pod - it effectively makes the ship unpiloted, so you have unlimited time. There's a chance it'll ram into another ship though, which is a pain in the rear end on no-kill runs - it's also loud, you'll generate an alarm.

A few times I didn't actually have to destroy all the engines, so I'm not sure how that works. It's practically mandatory on some of them. Speaking of mandatory, the stealth pod is on the far right of the liberation tree and is, in fact, mandatory at some point.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Where do you find them? I've been craving more flavor text for the game, but the only guy I've been able to talk to is Breaker.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Speaking of mandatory, the stealth pod is on the far right of the liberation tree and is, in fact, mandatory at some point.

I dunno about that. I just had a ghost mission where the ship I had to infiltrate had heat sensors and a tiny rear end docking port stuck in a corner. Did it take a couple approaches? Yes. But I got on board, stole the thing without being seen or killing anyone, and got my Ghost Mistake mission completed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Warmachine posted:

I dunno about that. I just had a ghost mission where the ship I had to infiltrate had heat sensors and a tiny rear end docking port stuck in a corner. Did it take a couple approaches? Yes. But I got on board, stole the thing without being seen or killing anyone, and got my Ghost Mistake mission completed.

One of the faction missions is a ship that just has two heat shields that take up the whole ship and a fairly narrow alarm timer.

It is, frankly, complete BS.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

dmboogie posted:

Where do you find them? I've been craving more flavor text for the game, but the only guy I've been able to talk to is Breaker.

I think he's mixing them up with the Faction people? Whenever you destroy a stronghold, you get a representative that gives you some backstory on the faction.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to get Fiasco's facebreaker outside of the tutorial?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I am bad at the game but loving it

add me for tons of dudes that need to be rescued

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198004204531/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah you can technically do a no kill assassination mission by delivering the target alive to the base.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone else find themselves tempted to retire when they find a nice item? I've been making a few items, hope people find em. :shobon:

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

feels good

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think my favorite method of capture (and how I dealt with the armored capture target in my last personal mission) is luring them into a room with a window, shooting out the window, and hoovering us both up with my Angel pod.

Edit: Regarding the above post, my capture method also works great as an abort when you got too deep into a ship and are about to be captured yourself. Blow out the window, and let the hard vacuum of space save your sorry rear end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unlock breach grenades and you dont even need to do that.

How do grenades work against armored enemies?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

How do grenades work against armored enemies?

Very well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone else find themselves tempted to retire when they find a nice item? I've been making a few items, hope people find em. :shobon:

What/how does retiring even work? I retired a Self-Charging Timeslip (I wasn't able to rename it but I guess I didn't see the button to at the time). Can I find it easily again or how does that work?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Xaris posted:

What/how does retiring even work? I retired a Self-Charging Timeslip (I wasn't able to rename it but I guess I didn't see the button to at the time). Can I find it easily again or how does that work?

It's a random chance to appear in a chest, which means common items aren't worth as much (Unless you just restarted your universe.)

There are also the unique modifiers that people are supposedly getting, haven't seen one yet though. (Except the Everything Gun.)

Edit: Which so far, it's been "My uncle works at Nintendo" stories.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 24, 2017

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
On Stronghold missions: Do you just not get to retire your guy? I guess I didn't realize it was a kamikaze run. Could I have bailed on the ship?

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's a random chance to appear in a chest, which means common items aren't worth as much (Unless you just restarted your universe.)

There are also the unique modifiers that people are supposedly getting, haven't seen one yet though. (Except the Everything Gun.)

Edit: Which so far, it's been "My uncle works at Nintendo" stories.

I found a triple grenade launcher called The Multiball. It only had 3 shots though, so I just sold it :/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So they're a little singed, but I got them back, didn't I?

https://i.imgur.com/Dv9WVJ8.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GigaPeon posted:

On Stronghold missions: Do you just not get to retire your guy? I guess I didn't realize it was a kamikaze run. Could I have bailed on the ship?

I made it out on my second one. Cleared my path beforehand, then bolted for the nearest window as soon as I set course.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

GigaPeon posted:

I found a triple grenade launcher called The Multiball. It only had 3 shots though, so I just sold it :/

Answering the spoiler: yes you can bail.

I decided with my new guy to never use a shop and live off the land. He started with a gun, the first guy he killed had another gun, so I've been running him around as a murderous loud gunslinger, avoiding pausing and having a blast, usually attacking random ships rather than doing missions. It's great going in blind and having to improvise.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

GigaPeon posted:

It's only spelled out in the mission text screen, but it says you can just re-direct the ship and then gtfo before it runs into the stronghold.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I usually try to wait until I have something self-charging (and doesn't suck) before retiring, so when people find my items, they're crazy powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

It's only spelled out in the mission text screen, but it says you can just re-direct the ship and then gtfo before it runs into the stronghold.

I usually try to wait until I have something self-charging (and doesn't suck) before retiring, so when people find my items, they're crazy powerful.

Honestly, I never read the briefing text. I just check to see if there's a time limit and any of those rear end in a top hat permashield guys.

It would be cool if they add a Daily Run type mode where you get a giant Defection style ship with a set seed and loadout and had leaderboard.

Also I would also love a Super Hot style real time reply mode.

• Locked thread