Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

rezatahs posted:

i thought it was going to be a compilation of all your gbs threads :(
holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
High IQ societies are a fun hole to get lost in. Modern science can't even really define or quantify intelligence let alone measure it on some objective scale yet there is always someone who swears that they've figured out how to separate the true intellectual aristocracy from the untermenschen and it just happens to place them at the very tippy top.

quote:

Mensa International, was founded by Roland Berrill and Lancelot Ware, who noted from their first conversation that although they came from different backgrounds, they were able to communicate and had much in common. They hypothesized that what they had in common was intelligence, and decided to see if a society of people selected for intelligence (using the only means available, IQ tests) would also have much in common.[5][6]

They decided to focus on people whose IQ test scores would place them at or above the 98th percentile.

quote:

In the late 1930s Leta Stetter Hollingworth's research examined people with unusually high Stanford-Binet IQ scores. Starting in the early 1960s, when the now-defunct MM was started,[7] there were attempts to form high-IQ societies for people scoring at similar levels on then-current tests. The International Society for Philosophical Enquiry and the Triple Nine Society were founded in the 1970s and still exist today. Their membership requirements were intended to accept one person in one thousand from the general population. Restricting entry still further was difficult; no tests have ever reliably discriminated among test-takers with more selectivity. The paucity of data on persons with unusually high IQ scores, by definition, made ensuring the reliability of such scores very difficult.[8][9] High IQ scores are less reliable than IQ scores nearer to the population median.[10]

There were two possible ways to overcome this obstacle. Either the raw data from standardized tests could be obtained and determination could be made if they could be normalized to Hollingworth’s levels, or new tests could be designed and normalized. In the late 1970s, it was the latter approach that was followed. Kevin Langdon and Ronald Hoeflin both developed high-range, untimed tests. Langdon claimed that his Langdon Adult Intelligence Test had a ceiling at the one-in-a-million level (176 IQ [or 171 using the academic-standard 15-point-per-standard-deviation system], or 4.75 standard deviations above the mean). Hoeflin claimed a considerably higher ceiling but the Langdon and Hoeflin tests are closely comparable, with Hoeflin's tests having ceilings only one or two points higher than Langdon's.[11] These tests were given to a pool of about thirty thousand test-takers, recruited through Omni magazine, and the resulting data were used to develop norms. Langdon equated means and standard deviations; Hoeflin used equipercentile equating.[12] Using these tests and norms, Ronald Hoeflin founded the Prometheus Society in 1982.[13] It was the second society to select for the top one in thirty thousand, the first being Kevin Langdon's Four Sigma Society, founded in 1976.[14]

The pool of members was always limited by the number of people who had taken the Langdon and Hoeflin tests, and it was further limited when, in the 1990s, answers for some test questions were put on the Internet. However, there existed a large pool of potential members as tens of millions of people had taken standardized exams such as the SAT, which were, in effect, IQ tests. The problem was to normalize them. In 1999, Prometheus formed a committee of ten members, many of them experts in psychometrics, to attempt this task. The committee produced a long report examining all reputable intelligence tests, determining which tests could screen at the four-sigma level (four standard deviations above the mean of a normal distribution), above 99.9966%, and what the appropriate scores should be.[dubious – discuss] This report recommended that members be chosen based on scores in several widely known and researched standardized tests, including the SAT, the GRE, the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, Cattell Culture Fair III, and others. This greatly expanded the number of possible members. Today, the number of members hovers around a hundred.

quote:

No professionally designed and validated IQ test claims to distinguish test-takers at a one-in-a-million level of rarity of score. The standard score range of the Stanford-Binet IQ test is 40 to 160.[5] The standard scores on most other currently normed IQ tests fall in the same range. A score of 160 corresponds to a rarity of about 1 person in 30,000 (leaving aside the issue of error of measurement common to all IQ tests), which falls short of the Mega Society's 1 in a million requirement.[6] IQ scores above this level are dubious as there are insufficient normative cases upon which to base a statistically justified rank-ordering.[7][8] High IQ scores are less reliable than IQ scores nearer to the population median.[9]

The Mega Society accepts members on the basis of untimed, unsupervised IQ tests that the test author claims have been normalized using standard statistical methods. There is controversy about whether these tests have been properly validated.[10] The Mega test specifically is described as a "nonstandardized test" by a psychologist who wrote a 2012 book on the history of IQ testing.[11]

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Just lol if you aren't in Mensa

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a hole-y ghost posted:

Well yeah but they get to learn stuff and if you try to paint one of those huge things all by yourself chances are you'll change so much over the course of it it will look inconsistent. I've been one of those intern guys :shrug:

I don't have a prob with it, I literally just said I wish they had to credit those people too on the backs or whatev

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

yeah I guess putting their names on the back would be cool especially for like future art critics to read and speculate what those peoples' stances were on contemporary politics issues that didn't exist when they were alive.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ayyyyy yo Pick you single still baby? PM me let's do dumb poo poo together 😘

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Ayyyyy yo Pick you single still baby? PM me let's do dumb poo poo together 😘
Hi Kuato

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
8 bit scholar’s post history

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Did I tell you about that car I saw that had the license plate KOO8TO?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
everything you've ever done OP

except none of it is amusingly stupid, just stupid

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

everything you've ever done OP

except none of it is amusingly stupid, just stupid

There you are, thanks for having such a wonderful username.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Guy Mann posted:

Modern science can't even really define or quantify intelligence let alone measure it on some objective scale

Incorrect.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Regrettable posted:

How the gently caress do you smoke six packs a day? You'd have to have a cigarette in your mouth from the second you woke up until the second you went to sleep.

e: Assuming you slept 8 hours a night, that's 7.5 per hour. That means you'd be lighting one every 8 minutes.

you know those cartoon characters where it's an old lady constantly lighting a new cig with the last bit of her old cig?

that's not a parody, those people were real.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

One of the dudes involved in Pie Time also made Man Bites Dog, a fine film for the whole family

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Regrettable posted:

How the gently caress do you smoke six packs a day? You'd have to have a cigarette in your mouth from the second you woke up until the second you went to sleep.

e: Assuming you slept 8 hours a night, that's 7.5 per hour. That means you'd be lighting one every 8 minutes.
if i gave one to everyone that asked, in a given week i'd probably average 3-4 packs a day. betting hollywood big-wigs come across more people in a day they're willing to hand out cigs to

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

I admire a guy who:

A. Has the manner & class to bring a custard pie.

B. Has the self restraint not to huck it at the first soul they see.

C. Can convey it around whilst in formal dress without creating alarm.

D. Does not choke at the final meridian.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
That stupid rear end in a top hat Trauma Dog 3000's entire life

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Naw they're basically right. That's not to say IQ tests have no value, though. They're extremely useful for telling if you're mentally impaired after a brain injury or disease, and if so, by how much.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Guy Mann posted:

Remember that time when Howard Hughes accidentally killed a good chunk of golden age Hollywood by shooting a film on nuclear testing sites and then paying to have the radioactive dirt trucked back to Hollywood for reshoots? I really hope somebody was fired for that blunder!

I'm going to give Hughes a pass on this one. Believing the government, especially pre Nixon, isn't particularly stupid. That was just the culture then.

Certainly less stupid than people believing rhe PATRIOT act was going to only gently caress over terrorist and all that

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Naw they're basically right. That's not to say IQ tests have no value, though. They're extremely useful for telling if you're mentally impaired after a brain injury or disease, and if so, by how much.
That seems an implausible position, since it's well known to be a strong predictor of success in academics and work.

This meta-analysis finds that it's a better predictor of academic and professional achievement and income than parental education, income, or SES.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 4, 2017

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Liz Holmes is a big of a con artist as Shkreli, and convinced more than enough people on the way up to throw money her way to fund an impossible project.

She's intelligent but used what she had to fleece the hell out of people until she painted herself into a corner; the stupidity comes from failing to create an out for herself

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Lonos Oboe posted:

I admire a guy who:

A. Has the manner & class to bring a custard pie.

B. Has the self restraint not to huck it at the first soul they see.

C. Can convey it around whilst in formal dress without creating alarm.

D. Does not choke at the final meridian.

yuo should suck he dick

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Does the guy who invented leaded gasoline, CFC gases, and a device of strings and pulleys to lift him out of bed which subsequently strangled him to death count?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

That seems an implausible position, since it's well known to be a strong predictor of success in academics and work.

This meta-analysis finds that it's a better predictor of academic and professional achievement and income than parental education, income, or SES.

Oh yeah well I scored a 155 on an IQ test administered by a qualified psychometrician and I'm a total loser. Don't you look like a dumbass now? :smug:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my iq is 60 000 points large. suck my lumpy loving brain folds and poo poo, jackasses

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Orkin Mang posted:

my iq is 60 000 points large. suck my lumpy loving brain folds and poo poo, jackasses

I believe this man's brain is both lumpier and wrinklier than most people's, and that these unique physical features are responsible for his clearly enhanced cognition.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Oh yeah well I scored a 155 on an IQ test administered by a qualified psychometrician and I'm a total loser. Don't you look like a dumbass now? :smug:
Nah, they're only correlations, not prophecies.

High-IQ societies are still pretty dumb, but it's not because iq isn't real, it's just because it's only an identity if someone has nothing else going on. Like joining a society for tall people.

they didn't let me into either one

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, they're only correlations, not prophecies.

High-IQ societies are still pretty dumb, but it's not because iq isn't real, it's just because it's only an identity if someone has nothing else going on. Like joining a society for tall people.

How tall would you have to be to get into one of these societies? Could somebody from the US join, say, the Japanese chapter but get their membership card printed in English?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

How tall would you have to be to get into one of these societies? Could somebody from the US join, say, the Japanese chapter but get their membership card printed in English?
Most of them require you to be local. But the Faroe Islands TENSA allows international members and only needs you to beat 2.1m.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Stephen Glass was smart but also an idiot for making fake stories. Shattered Glass is a good movie about him

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I believe this man's brain is both lumpier and wrinklier than most people's, and that these unique physical features are responsible for his clearly enhanced cognition.

thanks.i was sent by my village elder to a frenologist in rotterdamn. he did a research upon me...his conclusion? my brain was 'king of the walnuts' whcich in lingo means of the highest genius; and the quality of my eyesight double 20/20 like the 'deadliest eagle from prehistoric times'. he said my ideal occupation for when i grew up (i was 3 at the time)would be marine sniper/genius

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Orkin Mang posted:

thanks.i was sent by my village elder to a frenologist in rotterdamn. he did a research upon me...his conclusion? my brain was 'king of the walnuts' whcich in lingo means of the highest genius; and the quality of my eyesight double 20/20 like the 'deadliest eagle from prehistoric times'. he said my ideal occupation for when i grew up (i was 3 at the time)would be marine sniper/genius

Wow, that's amazing. What occupation did you end up taking?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Wow, that's amazing. What occupation did you end up taking?

i clean the shoes at the bowling alley

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Orkin Mang posted:

"How many confirmed kills you got? That's the real measure of a man" -Captain Jean-Luc Picard, The Measure of a Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

High IQ societies are a fun hole to get lost in. Modern science can't even really define or quantify intelligence let alone measure it on some objective scale yet there is always someone who swears that they've figured out how to separate the true intellectual aristocracy from the untermenschen and it just happens to place them at the very tippy top.

If the supposed purpose of these 'societies' is to be a forum for equals to engage in debate and discussion(heh) and not be a place to jerk each other off about how superior they are to everyone else, wouldn't something like an informal interview where you discuss a wide variety of intellectual or obscure topics with a member or group of members be a better test than a test the autist savant could pass?

Sorry for rhetorically asking the obvious.

• Locked thread