Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There is a (very) early in development open source recreation of Arena in the works here.

https://github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena

And Daggerfall being ported to Unity is making some nice progress too.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/dragonbreak-builds-daggerfall-unity-now-playable-start-to-end/

These are probably about as close as you'd get to HD remakes I'd think.

don't forget about DaggerfallXL: https://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

don't forget about DaggerfallXL: https://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

Isn't DaggerfallXL dead? I'm certain it's been in progress since before Skyrim was released and there's been next to no progress since then. That and the Unity Engine conversion seems much further and there's already retexture mods being made for it even though it's not fully complete yet.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Isn't DaggerfallXL dead? I'm certain it's been in progress since before Skyrim was released and there's been next to no progress since then. That and the Unity Engine conversion seems much further and there's already retexture mods being made for it even though it's not fully complete yet.

From reading the link, it seems like DaggerfallXL moved to XLEngine, which then died a bit over a year ago. The Daggerfall part hasn't been updated since 2012, it seems. I'm not sure how playable the project ever got. It seems to have tried to keep the game logic code more-or-less intact while replacing the presentation, which is kinda questionably legal and I've no idea how well it worked. The advantage is that the parts that did work would've been complete and equal to the original release, warts and all.

Daggerfall Unity is a lot more active right now, but a long way from complete. Far as I can tell it doesn't use anything from the original game other than the assets and is reimplementing all the logic, which is less of a legal quagmire but a whole lot more work. As I understand it'll currently load the world and you can run through the main quest, but there's no magic, magic items or potions, the guilds don't work, there are no side quests, most of the leveling logic isn't there and so on. It's currently a toy. It might be a game in two years, with a lot of hard work.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
It's not the shortest dungeon in the game, but I can certainly make it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j09f-MFYQdY
Part 5: Halls of Colossus

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It would have been very fitting if you had been defeated by a wall :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, D&D spell components are frequently actually jokes, like the sesame seeds for passwall; for example, the material components for lightning bolt are a crystal rod and a patch of fur (you rub the fur against the rod to generate static electricity, get it?), or the material and focus components for scrying - nitric acid, copper, zinc, and a silver mirror (you turn the mirror into a television and power it with the battery you make with the acid and metals).

If you're going to make everything immune to spells like Passwall and Knock/Unlock, you might as well not include the spells in the game. I feel like allowing alternate solutions for clever players is something more games should do.

I love how you got stuck in a wall trying to use the shortcuts the game provides you, then when you got out went back to using the same shortcuts without saving. Also, that went from "haha this dungeon is so broken i'm gonna wreck it" to "goddammit this dungeon is so broken i cant wait till i get out of here" in about 10 seconds flat.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I'd like to hear any objections to me re-collecting the Oghma Infinium over and over again to fully max my character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9wI7sf1hk
Part 6: The Crystal Tower

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Ephraim225 posted:

I'd like to hear any objections to me re-collecting the Oghma Infinium over and over again to fully max my character.

Won't hear em from me.

This game and Daggerfall were more or less designed for silly broken stuff. As the alternative was usually too painful to consider.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Re: summerset isle/isles as a setting, as I recall the original plan was to make it the setting for TES4, with some plot about elves summoning bad demons and you beating up the elves and also the demons. Bethesda decided the plot needed more emperors and moved all the action to the capital region some time before Morrowind was released. I imagine they'll get back to the golden racist samurai elves at some point.

Also, yes, break the poo poo out of Arena and Daggerfall, it's what they are for.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Xerophyte posted:

Re: summerset isle/isles as a setting, as I recall the original plan was to make it the setting for TES4, with some plot about elves summoning bad demons and you beating up the elves and also the demons. Bethesda decided the plot needed more emperors and moved all the action to the capital region some time before Morrowind was released. I imagine they'll get back to the golden racist samurai elves at some point.

Also, yes, break the poo poo out of Arena and Daggerfall, it's what they are for.

They better.

If there's anything that can get me to buy a Bathesda game at launch, it would be the promise of grinding Thalmor bones to dust.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I’m not a huge fan of the series but I would definitely play Elder Scrolls: Somerset.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ephraim225 posted:

Do it.

It's not like Arena (or this character, other than the reflect shenanigans) has compelling gameplay, so might as well.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Then I'll get on that in an update or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZyBWIbXPw
Part 7: The Crypt of Hearts

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well of course it's the last one you look at- if you keep looking after you find something there's something wrong with you. (/smartass) Also, about that "you need a certain tier of weapon material to damage stuff" thing: Do enchanted versions bypass that, or is it just "it must be at least this strong" full-stop? Kind of doesn't apply to you anymore with your new top-tier weapon, but for the guys who're following along it might be worth mentioning.

As to the "Elder Scrolls blind the reader" thing: Considering how they can apparently predict the future, I'd expect that many of the readers just don't care about the risk if it means they can reap the rewards. Also, that seems to be a more recent bit of lore which may not have been decided on at the time Arena was published, but whatever.

"Nobody respects heroes!" There are mods to change that, I'm pretty sure.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
So weapons.

Steel weapons are regular weapons. Iron weapons are slightly worse (-1 to hit and damage), and then the different materials provide increasing bonuses to hit chance, damage, and durability:

Elven (+1)
Dwarven (+2)
Mithril (+3)
Adamantium (+4)
Ebony (+5)

There are also Silver weapons, which are functionally identical to Steel. Mostly. Asterisk.

Some enemies in the game have varying degrees of immunity to normal weapons. Some enemies can only be hurt by Elven or better. Certain tougher monsters require a minimum of Mithril weapons or better to harm, but nothing I'm aware of explicitly requires Adamantium or Ebony - Mithril is technically good enough for everything. Silver can be used to hurt certain monsters that are otherwise immune to normal weapons, and may even deal double damage to certain vulnerable enemies. If this sounds vague and non-specific, congratulations! The game doesn't really tell you this, and if you're used to simply taking your regular steel dai-katana and murdering everything you come across, your very first golem is going to come as a tremendous surprise when your steel weapon is completely ineffective. Also, skeletons take half damage from all non-blunt weapons.

Certain enemies immune to normal weapons may still take damage from "magic" weapons (weapons with a magical effect but without a material), but in general those weapons are still inferior because there are four things that affect your hit chance:

1: Your level
2: Your Agility stat
3: Your weapon's material
4: What type of attack you use. Sideways slices are normal, thrusts do less damage but are more likely to hit, diagonal slices do more damage but with a to-hit penalty, and overhead chops do the most damage with the largest penalty.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Olesh posted:

4: What type of attack you use. Sideways slices are normal, thrusts do less damage but are more likely to hit, diagonal slices do more damage but with a to-hit penalty, and overhead chops do the most damage with the largest penalty.

Wait what? The Codex Scientia didn't say anything at all about this! Of course I would never notice since I just flail the mouse around at random. Is this also true for Daggerfall?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Olesh posted:

Weapons:

Elven (+1)
Dwarven (+2)
Mithril (+3)
Adamantium (+4)
Ebony (+5)

Same modifiers work for jewelry items (torc, amulet etc.) that provide armor bonus. In that case providing -AR. Negative valuesa re better just like old D&D.

Interesting side fact: If you savescum enough in the very fist dungeon, you can find some ebony type weapons and ebony jewelry in the treasure piles.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Ephraim225 posted:

Wait what? The Codex Scientia didn't say anything at all about this! Of course I would never notice since I just flail the mouse around at random. Is this also true for Daggerfall?

Yep. It is literally in the manual.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Ephraim225 posted:

Probably true for Daggerfall, but I can't say 100% as I never was able to get that game running on my machine and don't have the manual handy. The Arena manual lists the different attack options and their effects on chance to hit and damage. Here's the values if you're curious: a thrust is a +2 to hit and -4 damage, a chop is a -2 to hit and +4 damage, and diagonal slashes are -1 to hit and +2 damage.

The actual manual lists percentages - it lists a thrust as a +10% to hit - but attack rolls in Arena are just d20 rolls cribbed straight from AD&D including the part where a 1 always misses and a 20 always hits. This is also why agility is really good - not only does it improve your AR, but each +1 to hit adds up very quickly to turn your lovely hit chances into something respectable - all classes start out equally bad at hitting things, and it takes a lot of levels to have a noticeable effect on your chance to hit enemies.

Edit: Huh, the Daggerfall manual took out the display of numbers. Because more obfuscation is better, I guess.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Well gee, I was referencing the Codex Scientia a lot because it's kind of the player's guide that came with the deluxe release but I guess the combat formulas they have there aren't 100% accurate. Guess we're gonna need to reverse-engineer the code to find out for real.

Or just flail the mouse as we always have.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I’m not a huge fan of the series but I would definitely play Elder Scrolls: Somerset.

the opening theme is the morrowind song again, but this time in the style of the wurzels

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Yep. It is literally in the manual.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
The seventh piece of the staff is hidden inside what's actually a fairly easy dungeon. Foreshadowing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMbyZC9J1mc
Part 8: Murkwood

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
It's interesting seeing that in Arena, if your stats are maxed, the game won't let you go to the level up screen. I find that interesting knowing that it's not like that in Daggerfall.

In Daggerfall, if you leveled up while all your stats were maxed, you would go to the level up screen to allocate your new stat points anyway, but you'd be unable to actually allocate any of them, and since there was no way to exit out of that screen before allocating your points, you'd be completely locked out of the game.

I know this because if you went to your character screen and clicked where the point-allocation arrows would have appeared, it would give you a point in your stat as though you were leveling up. Meaning you could up your stats pretty much whenever you wanted. But of course that was an easy way to hard lock your game, unless you were also exploiting the level-up system via a custom class to ensure you never got experience.

Daggerfall was pretty broken.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 6, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Spookyelectric posted:

It's interesting seeing that in Arena, if your stats are maxed, the game won't let you go to the level up screen. I find that interesting knowing that it's not like that in Daggerfall.

In Daggerfall, if you leveled up while all your stats were maxed, you would go to the level up screen to allocate your new stat points anyway, but you'd be unable to actually allocate any of them, and since there was no way to exit out of that screen before allocating your points, you'd be completely locked out of the game.

I know this because if you went to your character screen and clicked where the point-allocation arrows would have appeared, it would give you a point in your stat as though you were leveling up. Meaning you could up your stats pretty much whenever you wanted. But of course that was an easy way to hard lock your game, unless you were also exploiting the level-up system via a custom class to ensure you never got experience.

Yeah. People give Bethesda poo poo nowadays for their buggy launches but Daggerfall has to be the buggiest game Bethesda developed and even with all the official patches and unofficial patches, still tends to be fairly buggy and can break your game. Daggerfall at launch was completely unbeatable and you'd fall through the floor frequently or have quest objectives in places you couldn't reach. It got so bad that one of the patches added cheat mode which resets the player if they fall through the floor or an objective is unobtainable.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Spookyelectric posted:

Holy crap now I don't feel bad about playing it with a mod that makes it possible to have attributes and skills above 100 all the way up to 255.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

I think they fixed that problem, as well the bug where you could just increase your stats whenever you entered the character screen, in a pretty early patch. I think I managed to max my stats more or less legitimately with new features and the oghma infinium, at least.

It helps that even with all the bugs fixed and playing 100% legitimately you can trivially hit max level in Daggerfall immediately on reaching your first town, because Daggerfall is still a totally broken game.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I have Daggerfall in my game backlog and it was what got me into Elder Scrolls in the first place. Looking forward to this and enjoying Arena so far.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Just watched video four.

You could say people have... skeletons in their closet. :c00lbert:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

Just watched video four.

You could say people have... skeletons in their closet. :c00lbert:

Skeletons, golems, mummies, orcs, it's crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL8M5I2jOxY
Part 9: Dagoth-Ur

Just one more to go unless there's anything I haven't shown that would be interesting to look at.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Further consideration for when you arrive: What time did you leave? Because if you leave later in the day in one session, that may account for arriving at a different time. The sooner you start, and all that.

To be fair about the whole Dagoth Ur thing: I'm pretty sure he's more or less asleep until shortly before the events of Morrowind (or at least that's how I interpret things); the real question is how you don't get every blight disease known to Morrowind while you're there. Especially Corprus. Best in-universe explanation I can think of for this is that this part of the game is canonically about three decades before the events of Morrowind, so the Seven Curses Prophecy may not have even started yet.

I have actually heard the phrase "sheets of rain." It apparently refers to really heavy rain- like, blindingly so, I think. It's pretty old, though, I'm pretty sure, so I'm not surprised by your "who says that?"

Are you allowed to make a "Dispel on Self" spell like in Morrowind? Because if Dispel works on Levitate (and the game lets you make that spell), that might be the answer to your "wait for Levitate to wear off vs. lots of Passwall" dilemma. Gotta say, there're definitely significant quality of life improvements with that spell effect in later entries, since they allow you to move vertically as well as horizontally.

Oh, hey, this game's apparently advanced enough to have scripted enemy spawns! Good to know.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Are you allowed to make a "Dispel on Self" spell like in Morrowind? Because if Dispel works on Levitate (and the game lets you make that spell), that might be the answer to your "wait for Levitate to wear off vs. lots of Passwall" dilemma. Gotta say, there're definitely significant quality of life improvements with that spell effect in later entries, since they allow you to move vertically as well as horizontally.

Dispel isn't in Arena, unfortunately. Casting it on myself would certainly help in that situation. Fortunately you don't really need to voluntarily cancel magic effects in later games, though in Daggerfall I'll probably see if you can make a magic item that lets you levitate only while it's equipped.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only thing I can think of is the canon ending of Daggerfall broke more things than previously thought with regards to this game and the events of Morrowind but, I'll wait until you get to cover Daggerfall before that.

Will you be touching Battlespire as well or just leaving the LP with Arena and Daggerfall?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I believe Red Mountain is in fact called Dagoth Ur. The dungeon located there certain is. Dunno why Dagoth Ur lives in Dagoth Ur. But then again Vivec lives in Vivec, so it's probably just a dunmer thing.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
You know I thought the answer to that sheets Riddle was going to be music. But I have also heard and used the phrase ‘sheets of rain’ or something similar.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Zeniel posted:

I believe Red Mountain is in fact called Dagoth Ur. The dungeon located there certain is. Dunno why Dagoth Ur lives in Dagoth Ur. But then again Vivec lives in Vivec, so it's probably just a dunmer thing.

It's actually called "Dagoth-Ur" to differentiate it from the god. :eng101:

EDIT: I've heard the phrase "sheets of hail", just not "sheets of rain".

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 12, 2017

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Sheets of rain was the first thing that came to mind, and the anger about it was amazing.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
...Have you really never heard anyone say "sheets of rain?"

An editor once told me the phrase was so common, it was considered a cliche. I was literally shouting "rain" at my computer screen over and over when you got to that part.

Helpful video: https://weather.com/news/international/uk/video/sheets-of-rain-effect-caught-on-camera

Edit: Not to take a dig or anything, I just thought it was a common rain descriptor.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Will you be touching Battlespire as well or just leaving the LP with Arena and Daggerfall?

I never played Battlespire much at all, so no, unfortunately I won't be playing it. It'd take awhile to figure out how to smash the game balance there, I'd imagine.

Spookyelectric posted:

...Have you really never heard anyone say "sheets of rain?"

See, now you know why riddles aren't a thing in Elder Scrolls anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Catching up on videos - The Arena protagonist has a spell to spontaneously generate dungeons, one that any chump can just, like, buy at the Mages' Guild. I'm not saying it's a trivial spell but with the number of guilds in operation there's at least a decent percentage of the population who can use it.

Daggerfall's hilarious dungeon count (4,000+) suddenly makes more sense.

Also I have been getting most of the riddles but I was That Kind of Nerd as a kid and my grandparents had a book full of the drat things.

• Locked thread