Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Hawks are about to get buried in the Central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

Ryan McDonagh is apparently back for tonight’s game against Carolina so no more Smith-Holden pairing thank goodness.

yeah but zbad is out which means Desharnais first line center

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

yeah but zbad is out which means Desharnais first line center

An upgrade over last game regardless.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

"the boz" Boeser got rookie of the month

https://www.nhl.com/news/brock-boeser-of-vancouver-canucks-named-rookie-of-the-month/c-293556494

This guy might be for real

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Is his nickname really the Boz? Can you guys convince him to grow out a mullet like the Boz had in Stone Cold?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I'm excited to potentially have Gaudette, Pettersson, and maybe Lind stepping up too

things... might be good?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

iospace posted:

Can't get bounced in round one if you don't make the playoffs.

iospaaaaaace :thejoke:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

please

the correct nickname for him is

MY CLIENT

BRRRRRRRRROOOOOOCK
BOESER

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

I kinda wish I didn't just buy the new avatar

Hand Knit posted:

Nazem Kadri just quietly chugging along at 23 points in 27 games despite being the team's shut-down centre and basically the only defensive centre on the roster.

I have a friend who hates Kadri for being a diver, and continuously talks about how the Leafs should trade him away. Of course, he also thinks there's a rumor that the Leafs will trade Matthews to Arizona for this year's first overall pick in order to avoid the future cap crunch. My theory is that he has a really bad source for hockey opinions.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/936688914915618816

congrats, flyers

you broke charlie

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I think that Carey Pricing your way into a wildcard spot for the next 5 years is a good look for the Habs. Their future is surely much better than a Toronto team that reached their ceiling during their top players' rookie year. Both Sergachev and Drouin "fit with our culture" and will flourish alongside under the veteran leadership of future Captain Andrew Shaw.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mike_V posted:

The Hawks are about to get buried in the Central.

good

Call Your Grandma posted:

I think that Carey Pricing your way into a wildcard spot for the next 5 years is a good look for the Habs. Their future is surely much better than a Toronto team that reached their ceiling during their top players' rookie year. Both Sergachev and Drouin "fit with our culture" and will flourish alongside under the veteran leadership of future Captain Andrew Shaw.

lol you think the habs are good enough to get a playoff spot

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ginette Reno posted:

Is his nickname really the Boz? Can you guys convince him to grow out a mullet like the Boz had in Stone Cold?

I just made that up actually after reading that he doesn't really have a nickname (other than the inevitable Boesy on the ice) and some dumb Vancouver writer is trying to saddle him with "the flow"

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

condolences hawks fans

berube is really, really bad

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

i hope the habs trade for Clutrch Sniper Kris Russell

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Blues PK is the worst it's been in a decade and Berube is on the coaching staff....

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Iodised QQ posted:

condolences hawks fans

berube is really, really bad

Somewhere Antii Niemi's ears perk up.

E: I legit forgot Montreal claimed him

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Oh gently caress off

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/936708989714235393

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

JawKnee posted:

I'm excited to potentially have Gaudette, Pettersson, and maybe Lind stepping up too

things... might be good?

Pettersson looks great...drat wish he'd fallen to the Rangers or they could have moved up to get him. It was rumored they liked him a lot and were trying to move up to draft him but couldn't make a deal.

lmao

Tom "8 points in 22 games" Wilson - First line player

even Jesper Fast has more points than Wilson playing in a 3rd line role.

(which makes it sad that Jimmy Vesey also only has 8 points but is being relied upon as a top 9 forward)

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He's single-handedly responsible for like 1/3 of the Hawks' wins this season, so that doesn't bode well.

On the bright side, the Hawks have been playing better the past few weeks.

On the not so bright side, that improvements has been more on the offensive side than the defensive. They still give up a lot of shots and chances. So yeah, it's going to be a pretty scary stretch for them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hawks are going to miss the playoffs. Is there a player worth winning the lottery for?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Schremp Howard posted:

Somewhere Antii Niemi's ears perk up.

E: I legit forgot Montreal claimed him

Oh man, this year's theme is "getting the band back together".

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Levitate posted:

Tamps isn't really good because their division is trash and they just beat up on the lovely teams all the time

:laffo: yeah those lovely LA and STL Atlantic teams.

Hockeyfact.com has rated this “mostly false” on the truth-o-meter.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Wonderllama posted:

:laffo: yeah those lovely LA and STL Atlantic teams.

Hockeyfact.com has rated this “mostly false” on the truth-o-meter.

Tampa's just like the Caps were in the old south east division. Feasting on the weak

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tampa just lost to the weak.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Both Sergachev and Drouin "fit with our culture" and will flourish alongside under the veteran leadership of future Captain Andrew Shaw.

bad news bud

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

N: Islanders score 5 goals

V: Sucks that they lost

Also lol at Desharnais's goal and Grabner's hatty

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

for all the canes fans out there who ain't posting but are here in spirit

https://twitter.com/F3rdDurst/status/936770958265745409

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

every year when we play the canes i'm impressed at how well put together they are but they just don't win poo poo. they're the kings without any of the playoff appearances and i feel like they're the obvious living proof that we're missing something analytically and traditionally

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Isn't their goaltending poo poo?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Carolina is just cursed for goalies. Darling has had some real good games this season but then other games where they outshoot the opponent like 45-20 and lose 3-1

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They aren't cursed, they keep making these bets on backups that don't pan out and then turning to Cam Ward.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
CURSED I SAY!

Darling was a good bet though. I still think he'll end up doing alright over the course of the season.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Or their goalie coaches are poo poo.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

CURSED I SAY!

Darling was a good bet though. I still think he'll end up doing alright over the course of the season.

He's a 28 year old backup, obviously he might end up doing ok, but it's not a good bet for a team that has really needed goaltending for a long time. If Talbot didn't have that great season last year I don't think Darling gets signed for that contract.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The best thing going for Detroit is that Mike Green is quietly having a decent season and could fetch a lot at the trade deadline. Of course, that requires Holland not to be an idiot and, well.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

grack posted:

Or their goalie coaches are poo poo.

they fired the coward who assassinated Eddie Lack's career (David Marcoux), and for this season got the Pens guy Mike Bales who had been working with Fleury and Murray. it's probably a little early to see his effects on their goaltenders

the goaltending has historically been their issue in getting it together, but this season they're 17th in goals allowed and they are 26th in goals scored. not like the goals allowed is a great number, but their offense is struggling. they have a lot of good two-way players but everyone is a playmaker and nobody is finishing - Jeff Skinner leads them in goals at a big ol' 9 right now. it looks like he, and a lot of the team have suffered from juggling the lines around too much. having guys spend 6-8 games a piece with three different units this early in the season can't be good for getting the scoring going

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Winnipeg "First Place in the West" Jets

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hifi posted:

every year when we play the canes i'm impressed at how well put together they are but they just don't win poo poo. they're the kings without any of the playoff appearances and i feel like they're the obvious living proof that we're missing something analytically and traditionally

As others said yeah their goaltending hasn't held up very well but they also just don't seem like a very dangerous team whenever I watch them play. I also feel like their D is kinda overrated, they give up a lot of good chances despite having a bunch of guys everyone says are good.

They need at least one or two more good offensive players that are a step above who they have now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

Winnipeg "First Place in the West" Jets

Amazing what decent goaltending and taking fewer penalties has done for them this season.

• Locked thread