Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Most Valuable Person in 2017 football is...
Chip Kelly
Colin Kaepernick
Jon Bois
My team's waterboy, hydration is essential.
View Results

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I actually think they're gonna finish 9-7 with a loss to KC in KC because gently caress Arrowhead in december.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I pray every night for Green Bay to miraculously acquire the #6 seed and then knock out the Vikings at home in the NFCCG in a repeat of 2010.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'd like to see the Vikings host the Seahawks & see Blair Walsh miss a field goal to win the game again.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The perfect bracket

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"The AFC West puts three teams in the playoffs" sounds like a beautiful dream. :allears:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Axiel god drat man you have far too much free time on your hands. Thanks for the awesome write ups

I see in the NFC race you have missed out probabilities for the NFC north teams to win the Division, is that because you dont believe the Vikings can lose it at this stage?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

SKULL.GIF posted:

I pray every night for Green Bay to miraculously acquire the #6 seed and then knock out the Vikings at home in the NFCCG in a repeat of 2010.

Yeah Minnesota would do themselves a solid and let the Eagles get that honor by resting the last 2 games.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Axiel god drat man you have far too much free time on your hands. Thanks for the awesome write ups

I see in the NFC race you have missed out probabilities for the NFC north teams to win the Division, is that because you dont believe the Vikings can lose it at this stage?

Correct, the Vikings divisional odds are >99% along with the Eagles, Patriots and Steelers so I didn't consider their rivals' chances of winning the division.

edit: And thank you for the compliment. It started out as a little "huh, these sites are slightly different" thing and morphed into something bigger. If I have time today I'll write up how each site is different and why

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 6, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Minnesota can clinch the NFC North with a win or losses by DET and GB this weekend, so yeah, it would take a pretty staggering collapse not win the division.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Uterine Lineup posted:

Can you get 3 AFC West teams into the playoffs

https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/NFL?L=EzCMLdOlT8GLJe9nIejaMXVPOPFIxNKVciM7WAok3C2W-Up01Faz+i+uiSSZ2-LDTZwADDKlA

3 9-7 AFC West teams make the playoffs here at 4, 5, 6.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AsInHowe posted:

The perfect bracket

Can't see it, so I'm inclined to agree that yes, the Packers are going all the way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

The perfect bracket

Fixed it for you. That would be one hell of a Super Bowl.

If you put an imgur link in img tags you have to link the actual .jpg/.gif/.png/etc image, not the page link.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cheat sheet for this weekend:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god that's the worst bracket. The Lions don't deserve good things, ever. gently caress them forever and ever and ever for ruining the career of Barry Sanders.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Is there any permutation of both the Vikings and Eagles winning out where the Eagles get the #1 seed? I saw a newspaper say they held tiebreakers, but I was under the impression that's completely backwards.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badfinger posted:

Is there any permutation of both the Vikings and Eagles winning out where the Eagles get the #1 seed? I saw a newspaper say they held tiebreakers, but I was under the impression that's completely backwards.

Mathematically? Yes

Realistically? No

If both teams win out they will be tied in Conference Record and in Common Opponents record and thus the tie goes to Strength of Victory, which I'll let u/NFLPlayoffScenarios on reddit explain:

quote:

Yep. It comes down to SoV if MIN & PHI win out, which is out of their hands, so neither one controls the 1 seed. It should be noted, though, that MIN has a massive lead in SoV, so it's almost certain that MIN would get the 1 seed.

About who to cheer for: if you let both MIN & PHI win out, then MIN's SoV also would include CAR, CIN, and GB & CHI a second time (division teams that have been defeated twice count twice). Without going too much in the numbers, and accounting for the teams that play each other (guaranteeing an addition of 1-1 to SoV), MIN leads PHI at 14-2 by 15 games, and PHI can only gain 18 games for the rest of the season, so if 4 games go MIN's way the rest of the season, MIN clinches SoV. If my numbers are right, looking at the schedules and opponents, for week 14, 4 wins from (GB, BAL, HOU, TEN, NYJ, KC) should clinch SoV for MIN.

Minnesota has all but clinched SoV over Philly so there is no real way for them to get the #1 seed if they both win out.

If they both don't win out though then yes, as Philly can claim either the Conference Record or Common Opponents tiebreaker.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
winning out, no, cause they’ll have the same conference record (tiebreaker #1), the same winning % against common opponents (tiebreaker #2) but the Eagles lose on strength of victory (tiebreaker #3).

the Eagles need the Vikings to lose a game, preferably to the Panthers or Bears, as that would give them a tiebreaker advantage should they drop another one (unless it’s to the Rams).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Badfinger posted:

It's possible but unlikely. You have to weaken the teams the Vikings beat that the Eagles didn't play (or beat twice when the Eagles beat once) and strengthen the teams the Eagles beat that the Vikings didn't play (or beat twice that the Vikings beat once).

Basically the NFC North, AFC North (besides the steelers) have to lose out when they don't play each other and the NFC East, AFC West (besides the Chiefs) have to win out when they don't play each other, the Saints have to drop, Arizona needs to beat Seattle week 17, etc.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 6, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah, it's so unlikely that I effectively consider it impossible.

I'd also say there's a good chance Minnesota can clinch the SoV tiebreaker this week, as they only need 4 games to go their way.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So which games would a tie score create maximum chaos? 'Cause that's what I'll be rooting for.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Has no one actually clinched playoffs yet? How do the Steelers and Patriots end up out of the AFC playoffs?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots it's any loss by the Bills or win by the Pats. There's some other situations that crop up, but that's for starters.

Steelers it's the same thing actually... they clinch with a Bills loss.

Just the inverse stuff from this:

Kalli posted:

Cheat sheet for this weekend:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 7, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Has no one actually clinched playoffs yet? How do the Steelers and Patriots end up out of the AFC playoffs?

The magic number for the Eagles, Steelers and Patriots is all 1 so it's mathematically possible for them to miss the playoffs but unlikely.

And for Pitt/NE I believe it's impossible that both miss.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
are the Vikings not also at 1?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

SKULL.GIF posted:

Since Green Bay plays Carolina as long as they win out they just need 2 of these 3 things to happen:
Carolina to drop 1 other game out of these: vs MIN, vs TB, @ATL
Atlanta to lose two of: vs NO, @TB, @NO, vs CAR
Seattle to lose two of: @JAX, vs LAR, @DAL, vs ARI

They need some help but luckily all 3 of these teams have tough roads ahead. Keep in mind that Dallas will have Zeke back for the Seattle game. If the Falcons and Panthers both lose this week the Packers, Lions, and Cowboys playoff chances all increase significantly.

Playing around on playoffpredictors I found two scenarios where the Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cowboys all tie at 10-6. In one of them the Packers take the 5 and Cowboys take the 6. In the other the Falcons take the 5 and the Packers take the 6. Of course its all moot if 2 of those 3 teams go 3-1 but I'm feeling way better about the Packers chances.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

schweens posted:

Since Green Bay plays Carolina as long as they win out they just need 2 of these 3 things to happen:
Carolina to drop 1 other game out of these: vs MIN, vs TB, @ATL
Atlanta to lose two of: vs NO, @TB, @NO, vs CAR
Seattle to lose two of: @JAX, vs LAR, @DAL, vs ARI

They need some help but luckily all 3 of these teams have tough roads ahead. Keep in mind that Dallas will have Zeke back for the Seattle game. If the Falcons and Panthers both lose this week the Packers, Lions, and Cowboys playoff chances all increase significantly.

Playing around on playoffpredictors I found two scenarios where the Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, and Cowboys all tie at 10-6. In one of them the Packers take the 5 and Cowboys take the 6. In the other the Falcons take the 5 and the Packers take the 6. Of course its all moot if 2 of those 3 teams go 3-1 but I'm feeling way better about the Packers chances.

packers beating browns (easy), panthers (hard but bears did it), vikings (really hard but rodgers will be back) and lions (easy) is totally gonna happen. vikes beat panthers, atlanta loses two of the three to no+car

this is going to happen and its horrible

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

axeil posted:

The magic number for the Eagles, Steelers and Patriots is all 1 so it's mathematically possible for them to miss the playoffs but unlikely.

And for Pitt/NE I believe it's impossible that both miss.

I thought it might be possible if they play to a tie, lose every other game and their divisional opponents win out. However, the Bills won't catch the Pats for the division in that scenario because it will be 10-5-1 versus 10-6. The Ravens with only 5 losses could pass the Steelers by going 11-5 instead of 10-5-1.

There might be some random strength of schedule malarky to pull but laaaazy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

I thought it might be possible if they play to a tie, lose every other game and their divisional opponents win out. However, the Bills won't catch the Pats for the division in that scenario because it will be 10-5-1 versus 10-6. The Ravens with only 5 losses could pass the Steelers by going 11-5 instead of 10-5-1.

There might be some random strength of schedule malarky to pull but laaaazy.

You are correct. Winner of that game would be 11-5. If the Pats win they clinch the division. If the Steelers win they can finish at worst 11-5 and there are only 6 total teams with less than 5 losses right now, meaning the Steelers would be in. A tie also gets the Pats in.

So congrats, one of Pats/Steelers have made the playoffs already!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Saints fans, are y'all down in the dumps today?

Have heart! Things are still looking okay for y'all to win the division.

So long as the Saints beat Atlanta in 2 weeks it's almost impossible for them to lose the division thanks to their h2h sweep of Carolina and clinching at least a tie in divisional record vs Atlanta.

But what if the Falcons sweep the Saints?

Well there's still hope then but they need a very specific set of circumstances:

1. Beat NYJ in Week 15 and TB in Week 17. There is a way for the Saints to win the division at 10-6 but it requires the Falcons and Panthers to drop a lot of games and I don't think its viable.
2. Falcons lose to either TB or CAR (doesn't matter which)

Saints are the 3/4 seed depending on how PHI/LA/MIN do and the Panthers or Falcons (or both) make the WC.

The h2h sweep over Carolina is really, really helpful.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
are the lions eliminated barring a falcons/panthers tie in week 17?
edit: no, they need panthers to lose out and falcons to lose all but the panthers game (or tie)

eat poo poo lions

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
How do we get six NFC teams all at 12-4, and how do they get seeded if it happens?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric the Mauve posted:

How do we get six NFC teams all at 12-4, and how do they get seeded if it happens?

1: Saints , 2: Seahawks, 3: Vikings 4: Eagles 5: Rams, 6: Panthers

it can happen!

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Last year there was an online resource (I think either NYT ot 538) that told you whom to cheer for in every match, given your favourite team, and the implication any result had on playoff chances of your team.

Anyone remember that one, and is there a similar thing this year?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

OperaMouse posted:

Last year there was an online resource (I think either NYT ot 538) that told you whom to cheer for in every match, given your favourite team, and the implication any result had on playoff chances of your team.

Anyone remember that one, and is there a similar thing this year?

That would be the NYTimes Upshot model. Requires a bit of user input but I think that's what you're looking for.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/upshot/nfl-playoff-machine.html

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look you cheer for whomever is playing the Patriots, Steelers, or Cowboys and then you also cheer for the Lions, the Browns and the LA Rams.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Look you cheer for whomever is playing the Patriots, Steelers, or Cowboys and then you also cheer for the Lions, the Browns and the LA Rams.

That's fine by me, except gently caress the teams that moved.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mostly the Rams. gently caress the rams.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

A.o.D. posted:

That's fine by me, except gently caress the teams that moved.

I have zero issue with the Rams moving back to LA, but gently caress the Chargers.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol why are the Seahawks mentioned in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Its Rinaldo posted:

Lol why are the Seahawks mentioned in this thread.

Technically they are in contention for a playoff spot. Technically.

• Locked thread