Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Orkin Mang posted:

face book? brother, i dont even own a tv. i dont even have a face, let alone a book, much less a pair of trousers. my fingers arent my own; i cast no shadow. thumbless, i dissolve in sunlight

This guy gets it.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
pfff my grandma uses FB. Are you my grandma, bitch?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
When I was a little younger I pretended I had some edgy reason to not have a Facebook but really it was so I could cheat :/

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Cyks posted:

I'll answer seriously.
Your post mentions nothing about employability until the last sentence and is all about getting laid but you just had a kid so unless you got some random person pregnant than why are you worried about it. Yes I would agree not having a Facebook makes it socially harder to develop friendships but no for one time hookups.

As for employability not having a Facebook is a net positive. All hiring managers are going to Google your name and you want your first impression to be your resume/interview, not a picture of you drinking or your political/religious views. A LinkedIn account that is just a more detailed copy of your resume is fine.

Yeah I kind of got bored with the topic after my rant.

I think the majority of us are in agreement that hiring managers will check Facebook to try to gather as much information about the person as they can. Let's say a guy without a Facebook profile makes the shortlist and is one of three final candidates for a position. The other two candidates both have Facebook profiles. Assuming that there's nothing on their profiles that would put off the hiring manager, everything else being equal, is it not more likely that the candidate without the Facebook profile would be passed on purely because the hiring manager has less information about that person regarding how they might present themselves outside of the office?

I'm not currently looking for a job, but the thought came across my mind that if I do decide to look for a job, not having a social media presence might hurt my chances. My Linkedin is on point, but that says nothing about the type of people I might associate with. And yes, I'm definitely implying that a hiring manager will make assumptions about an individual based on (as an example) how many of their Facebook friends have pictures of themselves doing drugs / pissing on a cop car / flicking off the camera. And no, I wouldn't blame them for doing so, but what I'm saying is that without having a Facebook profile they wouldn't know that.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

marijuanamancer posted:

I think it should be up to individuals how much they want to expose of themselves online. At the same time, media creation is the easiest it has ever been, and I think documenting our lives for future generations provides value. He who does not know history is doomed to repeat it and all that. Admittedly I don't know how that translates to babies first steps on facebook.

the lesson future generations will learn is not to post to social media.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

facebook is a bad website and you shouldn't go there

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm already unemployable op, i don't need to broadcast that

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If an employer denied me a job for not having a FB I would sue for discrimination.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
Not having a facebook is probably net-better in the eyes of most employers because that means there are fewer avenues to make a retard of yourself and embarrass the company.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Not having a facebook is probably net-better in the eyes of most employers because that means there are fewer avenues to make a retard of yourself and embarrass the company.

Although, you could just start posting nothing but Minions memes and endless Rick and Morty bullshit on your linkedIn profile.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I deleted my Facebook when I finished undergrad in 2010 and have never been aware of my being disadvantaged by this.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

LinkedIn is even worse than Facebook because its all "I love capatalism" and "You won't believe what this AWESOME manager did for his co-workers" and "Why minimum wage should be LOWER" and "Work from home and earn MILLIONS".

Hell here are some examples of articles on mine:

Random Person
I coach people how to use their stories to land ideal work. 🤝🏼 Stories + Job Search Strategy | Speaker | Coach | M.Ed
How to deal with being rejected for a job.

Random Person2
CEO at Place - Helping leaders and their organizations accelerate innovation.
Forget brainstorming to come up with NEW ideas, it doesn't work.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Good point comrade, except that we aren't going to execute the janitor. :Slaps back:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Les yeux sans Facebook

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for social situations most people will simply accept that you aren't on facebook because they aren't actually all that interested in you. even if they react with surprise that is more likely to be because facebook is standard in their social circle than any desire to know more about why you personally are not on facebook.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Facebook is only a liability. Unless you’re on fb posting about your volunteer work at UNICEF, which should be on your resumé anyway.

Not having Facebook isn’t a problem, it’s one less opportunity for you to embarrass the company. I did ninth-degree background checks with LexisNexis anyway, an old habit from my days doing loans an repos.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"Hey, I was gonna hire that Stanford kid, you know the one with the doctorate from Harvard but then I got on his Facebook and he had sent like 40 people an invitation to play CandyCrush. Safe to say, we dodged a bullet there."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I haven't had Facebook for a few years, I was thinking of getting an account again cause I was wondering what I'm missing out on and then my work decided they were going to replace our intranet portal with some enclosed Facebook for our company.

Holy Christ I don't know why people would actively seek out this experience. I get a headache just trying to navigate the pages and parse information from it. I honestly don't remember it being that bad when I last used it but there's no way I'd use it now.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Ultra Carp

Orkin Mang posted:

face book? brother, i dont even own a tv. i dont even have a face, let alone a book, much less a pair of trousers. my fingers arent my own; i cast no shadow. thumbless, i dissolve in sunlight

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Facebook at my university ca. 2005 was basically a dating site. It made it easy to find people in your classes, and messaging someone you didn't know based on coursework/shared interests wasn't considered weird. There were also no privacy controls wrt what other students at your school could see, and I feel like people kept things pretty basic because of that.

But then it turned into garbage and I deleted mine a few years ago.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like it for social things... I would never have heard about a volunteer opportunity at my local zoo without FB, which I greatly enjoy doing.

Once I blocked everyone posting

1. Political crap
2. Nonstop pics of their "fur babies"

Facebook became quite useful.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Big City Drinkin posted:

Facebook at my university ca. 2005 was basically a dating site. It made it easy to find people in your classes, and messaging someone you didn't know based on coursework/shared interests wasn't considered weird. There were also no privacy controls wrt what other students at your school could see, and I feel like people kept things pretty basic because of that.

But then it turned into garbage and I deleted mine a few years ago.

Looking for

Friendship
Dating
Networking
Random Play
Whatever I Can Get

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

garfield hentai posted:

Looking for

Friendship
Dating
Networking
Random Play
Whatever I Can Get

Lol yeah I forgot about that. But iirc no one actually put "dating" or "random play" but those were totally fair game.

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
The CIA has recently stopped tracking when/where i vape hash oil and started collecting my semen from my plumbing because I won't land planes for them anymore

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nextlevelstart posted:

The CIA has recently stopped tracking when/where i vape hash oil and started collecting my semen from my plumbing because I won't land planes for them anymore

they say u can leave but u never truly leave

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I've found both FB and LinkedIn to be fairly pointless with regards to job searching. I try to maintain my LinkedIn well enough, though, just in case someone asks for it. That said, I do agree with others that you should keep FB apolitical and as neutral in tone as possible.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

nextlevelstart posted:

easy solution: vape your seamen

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

wait so if i use fb ill both get a job and get laid??

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013
messenger.com allows you to use facebook chat without seeing your newsfeed or ads. hth

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Way back when I had a hiring manager at a call center refuse to hire me because they thought I lied when I said I didn't have one.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's it like not knowing a time before america collectively lost its goddamn minds

Absolutely hilarious

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's it like not knowing a time before america collectively lost its goddamn minds

America makes a lot more sense one you fully internalize that:

a) 1 in 5 Americans are mentally ill.
source: National Institute of Mental Illness

b) most people are dumber than you.
source: math/statistics

c) all of these crazy, dumb people have a voice on social media
source: Facebook

Once you realize that those very outspoken people around you don't live in the same world that sane, intelligent people do, it all makes a lot more sense. Then you can just smile and realize you're observing animals in a zoo. It's very liberating.

So if that company expects a Facebook presence? You know it's run by idiots, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

GORDON posted:

b) most people are dumber than you.
source: math/statistics

false, i am a massive retard

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"whats your facebook" is like 3 steps lower than just exchanging numbers which is just as many steps from closing the deal
any good job interview should end in sex

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

gary oldmans diary posted:

"whats your facebook" is like 3 steps lower than just exchanging numbers which is just as many steps from closing the deal
any good job interview should end in sex

Maybe if you're applying for the coveted position of retard masturbator...

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Rock Puncher posted:

it's all about the linkedin

no one cares about facebook except seeing if you are unemployable

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe if you're applying for the coveted position of retard masturbator...
you can tell this guys interviews end with a weak handshake instead of full penetration

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HELLBITCH posted:

false, i am a massive retard

But, you're still dumber than most people. The math still checks out.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

gary oldmans diary posted:

you can tell this guys interviews end with a weak handshake instead of full penetration

If you're a real go-getter you start with a handjob, not a handshake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

GORDON posted:

But, you're still dumber than most people. The math still checks out.

suck my butt, ugly

• Locked thread