Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
On a previous playthrough I would get maybe 1-2 drones every 30-60 mins, now I get like 3 drones every 10-15 mins . Just ht lvl 10 and haven't even built an HV yet. And this is on easy just to check things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

On a previous playthrough I would get maybe 1-2 drones every 30-60 mins, now I get like 3 drones every 10-15 mins . Just ht lvl 10 and haven't even built an HV yet. And this is on easy just to check things out.

The planets are so big in A8 the I get a notice and then grow a beard while the drones dick around - I can't even find the drone base with an SV. Version 7.6 has a continuous drone strike task until the usefulness of the drops was outweighed by the harassment of the alerts. It's a bit annoying to be subject to the wild swings on the balancing scale but I get it's a process.

Ambaire posted:

For anyone playing 8.0 part III, there's a bit of a crazy item duplication / deletion bug that's been reported a bunch of times. To duplicate it:

A bunch of poor souls have been dragging stuff to their hotbar and then using the inventory key and watching their stuff get deleted...

Dammit! That's where all my blocks went! I literally remade a bunch of stuff to have this happen and I thought I was losing my mind. It's not like making concrete blocks is as easy anymore as I have to mine a mile deep hole for some rocks. I couldn't believe I died of exposure/hunger in a hole I dug when my power ran out.

I might be willing to host an 8 or 12 person alpha server if there is legit interest.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 10, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

I might be willing to host an 8 or 12 person alpha server if there is legit interest.

I have an interest!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Some HV miner prefabs are underpowered in my opinion. So far I have abandoned two stuck in the bottoms of holes.

So I made a thing:

The front is mostly drills and engines. It has enough thrust to hover on its nose. This is important in a drilling vessel in my opinion.

Here it is in a hole for example:

You might think it was stuck in this position. I have driven things that would get stuck if they were nose-first in a hole in the ground.

But it is not stuck; it is mostly engines.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I tried Experimental 8 and the start of the game (even on 'high' starting equipment) consisted of lots of wandering around picking up rocks until I find all three elements enough to build a survival constructor and drill, and some spoiled food. This seems really tedious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

Some HV miner prefabs are underpowered in my opinion. So far I have abandoned two stuck in the bottoms of holes.

The gravity of a planet has a big impact on how easily you can get a drilling HV out of holes. Be very careful drilling deep holes on planets with higher than normal gravity.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The Lone Badger posted:

I tried Experimental 8 and the start of the game (even on 'high' starting equipment) consisted of lots of wandering around picking up rocks until I find all three elements enough to build a survival constructor and drill, and some spoiled food. This seems really tedious.

You need about 3 rock deposits of each metal till you can get a proper mining drill, its not so bad if you realise that each metal spawns by biome, I spent forever looking for silicon till I stopped being an idiot an looked in the desert areas

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Mineral rocks can be heavily dependent on seed, but this is what I've found:

Silicon: mountainous areas, deserts
Iron: very rare, some grasslands/deserts only
Copper: mountainous areas, deserts, grasslands
Cobalt: the alien hot radioactive creepy zones

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pound_Coin posted:

You need about 3 rock deposits of each metal till you can get a proper mining drill, its not so bad if you realise that each metal spawns by biome, I spent forever looking for silicon till I stopped being an idiot an looked in the desert areas

Once you get a drill it's actually a lot easier to mine in version 8. The more deposits are now much larger and integrated into the terrain (rather than individual rocks embedded into the stone).

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I meant before that point to get the initial metal to build a drill, the survival tool can only mine the various surface blocks.

Promethium ore is still blocks in an area, gently caress mining that without a scanner.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pound_Coin posted:

I meant before that point to get the initial metal to build a drill, the survival tool can only mine the various surface blocks.

Promethium ore is still blocks in an area, gently caress mining that without a scanner.

One of the better changes in version 8 is the ability to put biofuel into vehicles and base generators. That means getting Promethium is not nearly as important, you can fuel your HVs and SVs and starter base with trees. Its not very efficient, but its a good stop gap before you find your first node of Promethium.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'd prefer the ability to put promethium in drills tbh.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

I'd prefer the ability to put promethium in drills tbh.

You can, but only the tier 2 laser drill and vehicle drills. The T1 biofuel drill is only supposed to be for the early game.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Just chipping in to say that Empyrion is probably my favorite buildgame and I'm very much looking forwards to the new version. Sure it's still early access but it's surprisingly polished for an EA Minecraft clone, and it's actually fun as a game. I love Space Engineers but that one suffers from having a great engine to build ships with and a lovely one to do pretty much everything else. Empyrion takes a step back towards Minecraft from there pretty much, but uses absolutely dang pretty alien worlds to do the same, and scatters them with interesting places to explore and aliens to hassle. If you just like to putter around and build your fortress, you can pretty much do that; if you want to leave the designing and building to a minimum and explore, that's an option, too; and if you like excitement, grab a pulse rifle and go to town on an alien factory.

I'm running a 10-slot private server for my friends and it's been a blast so far, albeit things are quieting down while we're waiting for the next update.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drake_263 posted:

Just chipping in to say that Empyrion is probably my favorite buildgame and I'm very much looking forwards to the new version. Sure it's still early access but it's surprisingly polished for an EA Minecraft clone, and it's actually fun as a game. I love Space Engineers but that one suffers from having a great engine to build ships with and a lovely one to do pretty much everything else. Empyrion takes a step back towards Minecraft from there pretty much, but uses absolutely dang pretty alien worlds to do the same, and scatters them with interesting places to explore and aliens to hassle. If you just like to putter around and build your fortress, you can pretty much do that; if you want to leave the designing and building to a minimum and explore, that's an option, too; and if you like excitement, grab a pulse rifle and go to town on an alien factory.

I'm running a 10-slot private server for my friends and it's been a blast so far, albeit things are quieting down while we're waiting for the next update.

I think Empyrion (and Space Engineers) and are great fun to build ship hulls with, but both are still extremely lacking when it comes to weapon design, and to a lesser degree power/thrust. Slap down half a dozen blocks, make sure some of them are pointing the right direction and you're good. I really miss Starmade's approach, especially to weapons, combining different types of blocks for different effects, add more blocks to make bigger, more powerful, but more energy hungry weapons, etc.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think Empyrion (and Space Engineers) and are great fun to build ship hulls with, but both are still extremely lacking when it comes to weapon design, and to a lesser degree power/thrust. Slap down half a dozen blocks, make sure some of them are pointing the right direction and you're good. I really miss Starmade's approach, especially to weapons, combining different types of blocks for different effects, add more blocks to make bigger, more powerful, but more energy hungry weapons, etc.

I definitely would love to see some sort of a build-your-own-weapon functionality, or at least a lot more variety when it comes to weapons - especially in Space Engineers where your options pretty much are 'gatling gun, rocket launcher, and turreted versions of the same'. Big ships in particular seem like they just don''t have the oomph you'd expect from a giant fuckoff battleship.

That said, Empyrion at least has plenty of content besides building your autism chariot. Space Engineers is pretty much all building ships to get resources to build bigger ships with. I do love the item conduit system in SE, though, and there's something a lot more satisfying about welding a block together than pulling a giant cube of armor from your rear end and slapping it in place.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drake_263 posted:

there's something a lot more satisfying about welding a block together than pulling a giant cube of armor from your rear end and slapping it in place.

Empyrion is still in alpha, but eventually I would love to see something like the "building tool" from Subnautica for placing stuff. A hand held replicator type of thing.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I'd love to see space engineers style automation/conduits in empryion, but I wont hold my breath. At least empyrion has actual gameplay and a use for the weapons, I'm doing the default scenario atm, I made a light but armed SV and went off to the radar station thinking id just snipe off it's turrets and then land, I get there and the place is a field of turrets/aa towers around the base, I made it back minus half my craft without stopping.

not sure if I want to build an artillery HV and snipe them progressively, at homing launcher jet to strafe them or a CV to just flatten it all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

You may enjoy From The Depths if you want that.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I noticed that while one of the SV prefabs has four guns on it, many have only two guns. Inspired by this shortcoming, I invented a new kind of SV:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1383010693

I call it "6 guns." This is because unlike a regular two-gunned SV, this one has six guns, which is three times as many guns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I quite like the Military Survival series of vehicles. They're quite well gunned, although I find the lack of cockpit protection a bit of a liability in the late game designs.

Rutibex posted:

Wouldn't 8 guns have been superior?

You're capped at 8 gatlings and 4 of each other weapon type.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 15, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DreadLlama posted:

I noticed that while one of the SV prefabs has four guns on it, many have only two guns. Inspired by this shortcoming, I invented a new kind of SV:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1383010693

I call it "6 guns." This is because unlike a regular two-gunned SV, this one has six guns, which is three times as many guns.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
My first ever actual 'Shrike' fighter - so old that it didn't come with a FTL drive - had a pair of nose-mounted gatling guns and twin seeker launchers for dogfighting/hassling the local wildlife.. and a rack of 4 dumbfire rocket launchers mounted above the cockpit.

It turns out that while the gatling guns were great at strafing aliens, a neat spread of four simultaneous rocket strikes is more of a 'to whom it may concern' situation.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I like the way you think.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I picked this up a couple of days ago and I am in love with this game.

Absolutely amazing and I am having a blast on an Aussie PvP server. Best survival game around by a long shot. Also, it had 90% of what Scam Citizen promised.

Hopefully, the population picks up bit more when .8 drops on the 12th

The learning curve is a bit steeper than a lot of games, but its worth it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raged posted:

Also, it had 90% of what Scam Citizen promised.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you actually work on the gameplay, instead of millions of dollars worth of helmet opening animations and motion capture.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Looks like Alpha 8 is in full release next week. The candidate 1 version from this weekend is pretty smoothed out. Planets being up to 30 times bigger changes a lot of things. I also found when I went to defense POIs there were ground troops doing patrols shooting at me with rocket launchers. HVs are going to be the only viable way to tackle POIs now because when flying over in an SV you can't see the troops until after they have blasted the hell out of you with rocket launchers.

Additionally being able to re spawn in an HV is pretty nice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

Looks like Alpha 8 is in full release next week. The candidate 1 version from this weekend is pretty smoothed out. Planets being up to 30 times bigger changes a lot of things. I also found when I went to defense POIs there were ground troops doing patrols shooting at me with rocket launchers. HVs are going to be the only viable way to tackle POIs now because when flying over in an SV you can't see the troops until after they have blasted the hell out of you with rocket launchers.

Additionally being able to re spawn in an HV is pretty nice.

Its nice for HVs to have a combat purpose. Before this patch I only used them for drilling/tree cutting machines.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, the HV as a drill/tree cutter is still a thing. But now its even better.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1388271910

Also a drill CV shaped like an HV to clear asteroids:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1394807539

looking forward to tomorrow.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I am playing on the experimental build right now and oh man the planets are big, I am pretty sure the square you start in is the size of old planets

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

Also a drill CV shaped like an HV to clear asteroids:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1394807539

That screenshot shows a bunch of mining lasers going at once. Can you do that now? In the old versions I could only get one mining laser to work on a CV at once, it seemed like you would need multiple people to use more than one at a time. Not like the HV mining lasers which all activate at once.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
8.0 just dropped.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The bike some how got even worse between 7.6 and 8.0, which is a big thing as the time between on foot and hover craft has greatly increased with planet size

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got this like a year ago because it looked cool, played it for 10 minutes, and stopped. It seems like it's right up my alley, it's just one of those games at the top of the backlog rn

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stevefin posted:

The bike some how got even worse between 7.6 and 8.0, which is a big thing as the time between on foot and hover craft has greatly increased with planet size

What have you noticed? I found the bike to be exactly the same.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When descending, the bike camera has a rare chance to flip upside down, and the only way to fix it is to pick the bike up and put it back down.. getting off and back on doesn't help.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

What have you noticed? I found the bike to be exactly the same.

Mostly that the bike will stop and get stock on what I can guess is terrain generated squares, take the bike to one of the poles and yet it still will get stuck on perfectly flat, barren terrain, which was something it did not do before 8.0

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, I played some of the early experimental 8 builds and never noticed a problem with the bike but now on a multiplayer server on alpha 8 the bike is so terrible it's about the same speed as walking. Sometimes it stops and starts. Sometimes it doesn't starter afterwards and you gotta pick it up and move it.

Other than that, fun so far!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just got back into this before the patch and now 8.0 is giving me really ugly FPS degradation over the course of about a half hour, ending up at ~20 FPS average from there on out.

Which is a bummer because the patch, as with many patches to this game, is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Dumb question that I'm asking because I'm at work rather than in-game figuring it out but... since the survival tool doesn't do any terrain digging/deformation that I can see on any of its settings, what is supposed to be your initial source of Silicon ore ...to get a real drill? The conversion rat eof crushed rocks to silicon is pretty laughable, so I assume it's not that unless they wanted the 'survival' start to be grindy or 'hard' in all the wrong ways...

• Locked thread