Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Nap Ghost
it's the day that jesus came back to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Easter is a cute holiday with pastel colors and chocolate.

I'm sure it sucks if you're religious and have to do church things on actual Easter, but I like bunnies, chicks, chocolates, and jellybeans so hell yeah my man to Easter.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

There aren't enough secular traditions to go with it to fill one day let alone its confusing multi-day structure. Christmas has clear values and emotions attached to it, and they can be appreciated by both the religious and the secular. Easter is more specifically religious, and even then I'm unsure what emotions you are actually meant to experience. Some weird sense of guilty gratitude? Hard if not impossible to summon that emotion on command or in response to any of the rituals/sermons/masses.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Moon Atari posted:

There aren't enough secular traditions to go with it to fill one day let alone its confusing multi-day structure. Christmas has clear values and emotions attached to it, and they can be appreciated by both the religious and the secular. Easter is more specifically religious, and even then I'm unsure what emotions you are actually meant to experience. Some weird sense of guilty gratitude? Hard if not impossible to summon that emotion on command or in response to any of the rituals/sermons/masses.

for real Jesus came back to life on this day.
Its weird that it happens on a different day every year. It has something to do with Romans I think

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arrhythmia posted:

it's almost like it's a repurposed pagan holiday or something !!!

Gotta wonder why a bunch of corrupt pedophiles want to deceive and lead the flock astray. Almost like they hate humanity. Almost like they want company to join them in hell. Could it be a sacrifice and gift to their actual 'god' (of this earth; the evil one)?

Crazy.... or is it?? :thunk:

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it's the day that jesus came back to life

Read it and be shook 2 yr core:

https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/christians-who-dont-celebrate-easter-what-do-they-know

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Easter is a guaranteed four day weekend, so on average it's actually the best holiday, OP. Even though Christmas can rarely yield a five day weekend, it can also be just a three-day weekend, or even two, if you're a scrub that works on Christmas eve.

The bad thing is that it's always the first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox or some poo poo like that, and it's like... that's specific??? Why not just like first Sunday in April or something.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Easter isn't even a holiday

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

I just like eating devied eggs

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Get a low sodium ham if your store has one. Actually tastes way better assuming you don't gently caress it up. Put a crust on it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

I like how Easter is on a different Sunday every year based on moon phases because no one can actually remember when the most important event in Christianity actually happened even though Jesus took off into space like an Atlas rocket after rising from the dead

It's because most of the Christian holidays are just coopted pagan holidays. They did this to more easily convert people.

It's just the spring fertility festival after the equinox. Thus the eggs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

i like that posted:

Pagan ritual. You know how they stay obsessed with the moon. Easter isn't in the bible. If Jesus didn't tell you to do it, don't!!

I know what it is god drat it. almost every christian holiday took over the Roman religious calendar it made it easier for the empire as a whole to convert en masse. gently caress
it was a joke.

And no, Easter did not replace some stupid druid bullshit it came from Cybelian cultic practices coinciding with early christians (and I think some Mithraic stuff which stretches WAY back into antiquity beyond the Romans).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HURRR GUYS DOES U NO THAT CHRIST MASS IS ACTUAL THE FEEST OF SOL INVICTUS? LOOK IT UP!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think April Fool's is a worse holiday. The fact they are both on the same day is going to be troubling.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

And no, Easter did not replace some stupid druid bullshit it came from Cybelian cultic practices coinciding with early christians (and I think some Mithraic stuff which stretches WAY back into antiquity beyond the Romans).

It's just the spring fertility festival practiced around the world for centuries before Christianity was a thing.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

Easter isn't even a holiday

Every holiday is just another day of work, except I get paid extra in penalty rates, giving me even more incentive to work rather than celebrate or enjoy life.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think April Fool's is a worse holiday. The fact they are both on the same day is going to be troubling.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

Every holiday is just another day of work, except I get paid extra in penalty rates, giving me even more incentive to work rather than celebrate or enjoy life.

:capitalism:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

It's just the spring fertility festival practiced around the world for centuries before Christianity was a thing.

there was time before Christianity?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Re-read my post.

There are names for the things you are talking about and you don't know them and still felt the need to talk about them.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

Re-read my post.

never

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Once egg hunting loses its magic the whole thing is pretty lackluster. It's so bad in fact that we eat ham for dinner instead of wasting on of the good meats on this horrible holiday. In America we don't even get a day off. What's the point?

no, we don't eat ham for dinner. you eat ham for dinner. i'll be eating lamb crown roast and osso buco

but agreed, easter is leaster and should be made beaster. any holiday with all sorts of traditional activities and stuff, yet pointedly has no gift-giving aspect (beyond the kids getting chocolate bunnies and candy beans) is complete crap. my birthdays not til August and Xmas was a while back already. I want some presents! or more specifically i want that hallmark card filled with cash which my aunt and uncle give me on Xmas and my bday!!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

easter is on Sunday. Still not a holiday.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Sponge Baathist posted:

easter is on Sunday. Still not a holiday.

yeah, ok

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Big Beef City, please calm down. Using the lord's name in vein is taking things too far.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Big Beef City posted:

Re-read my post.

There are names for the things you are talking about and you don't know them and still felt the need to talk about them.

The gently caress is he supposed to do, list the names every single Spring Fertility Festival in every single country? There are a lot of them, they all have different names and the traditions vary from culture to culture.

But moreover who gives a poo poo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

^^It's Moridin talking poo poo he doesn't know about. Again.

Gatekeeper posted:

no, we don't eat ham for dinner. you eat ham for dinner. i'll be eating lamb crown roast and osso buco

but agreed, easter is leaster and should be made beaster. any holiday with all sorts of traditional activities and stuff, yet pointedly has no gift-giving aspect (beyond the kids getting chocolate bunnies and candy beans) is complete crap. my birthdays not til August and Xmas was a while back already. I want some presents! or more specifically i want that hallmark card filled with cash which my aunt and uncle give me on Xmas and my bday!!

I dunno about the no "gift giving", my family on both sides had a tradition of giving kids "presents" in Easter baskets when I was younger, decent stuff, too, like maybe a lego kit, GI Joe guy, or even *gasp* a vidya or something, not like a huge christmas deal or something, and many years my parents were fairly blue collar and I still got a toy of some kind.

And yes, before you criticize me about the above, I understand that maybe you got a basket filled with an apple and one used shoe or something, I just didn't realize that was a deal and honestly my family was not well off so I figured giving a toy to a kid in an Easter basket wasn't a rare occasion.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 31, 2018

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
2 days off and chocolate eggs. whats not to like, op

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Jesus is gonna come back and you're all in big trouble

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I hope he has an electric guitar with a bayonet on it and just rips into the crowd

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

sounds like OP's been eating some hot cross buns

get it

because he's somewhat cross about all this

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Like, the opening strains of "Money for nothing" by Dire Straits hit and Jesus lowers himself from heaven looking like the Dude wearing sunglasses with a badass guitar with a bayonet on the end of it and then marches into the throngs of people.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I like pretty much all the minor holidays because it's an excuse to do something fun and different with your loved ones. Gonna chill with the gf, eat some chocolate, decorate some eggs, enjoy the weather being nice again, and cook a solid dinner. What's not to enjoy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Jesus is gonna come back and you're all in big trouble

its been 2018 years. were you been dude

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I like pretty much all the minor holidays because it's an excuse to do something fun and different with your loved ones. Gonna chill with the gf, eat some chocolate, decorate some eggs, enjoy the weather being nice again, and cook a solid dinner. What's not to enjoy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Re-read my post.

When I Google poo poo before posting: "ohhhhhh Moridin so pedantic always has to fact check"

When I post off the cuff bc on my phone: "ohhhhhh lol you don't know the names of pagan festivals from 3000 BC"

gently caress you spark dingo

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Moridin920 posted:

It's because most of the Christian holidays are just coopted pagan holidays. They did this to more easily convert people.

It's just the spring fertility festival after the equinox. Thus the eggs.

Easter isnt a coopted pagan holiday, it is two days after Passover

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Jesus commands us to hate our family. You love idolatry more than serving Christ. That's your choice. Just know that means that demons are gonna be 'decorating' your 'eggs' in hell (they gonna do a cock and ball torture on you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slutty springtime church dresses tho.. without Easter it would all just be random chicks at random times in the park poppin them skirts. :clint:

• Locked thread