Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
"What is in the boxes is irrelevant, except in the sense that it won't hurt you, and they are completely safe to carry. The boxes are, as far as we are aware, magically locked, but that is all." Morgran says, somewhat dismissively, as he finishes gathering his papers, though he leaves one on the table. "Aye. This is a rough sketch of the grounds we made. We have no information on the layout of the mansion itself." Picking it up, you see a small map, detailing the grounds. From the only gate through the fences, a path leads both to the front door of the mansion, and the smaller servant/guard quarters building behind it. You see also that most of the east side of the grounds borders on the forest.

"As far as magical security goes, we don't know if there is any, but if there is, it shan't be too extensive. The Viscountess has no magical talent herself, though I know not if she employs mages of any kind." Baern adds. "Well, if that is all, let me just say once more, it is wonderful that you have all come to accept our offer. We look forward to seeing the results! Goodbye!" With that, he joins hands with Morgran, who takes out a tuning fork, hits it on the table, and raises it in the air. With a sizzle of magical energy and the rising pitch of the fork, the two dwarves disappear from sight, leaving the six of you alone in the room.

Time to plan a heist.

Welcome to the planning phase of the first heist! You have your target - the Viscountess Hazelburn's estate, a few miles outside of Waterdeep. Now you must plan your approach. Gathering information, locating objects that might come in useful (invitations, disguises, copies of keys etc.), and perhaps convincing people here and there. Most of this will be skill checks, though they won't always be needed. Sometimes it might involve a fight or a chase if you piss some people off. Since most of you have criminal contacts, friends, or other allies one way or another (even if you don't have the criminal background), feel free to make up NPCs within reason; though depending on where the heist is located, and where your contacts are, they might not always be available to help in time. This is the part where the Fixer obviously shines, being the one to know relevant people for relevant heists.

Right now, you have the following information:

Location: The Hazelburn estate, a few miles outside Waterdeep. It's a large mansion, with sizeable grounds that border a nearby forest. There is also a small building that houses the servants and the guards. You'll have to cross the grounds before you can enter the house. Your target location is the safe that holds a number of valuables, though the safe's location is unknown so far.

Security measures: About a dozen guards, maybe more, that patrol the grounds near the borders and near the house. A handful of servants inside the house that might spot you and call for guards.

Persons of Interest:
- Lady Geraldine Ursola Viscountess Hazelburn. Human, noble. Sole heir of the Hazelburn family. Quite rich (old money), but the family's political power is waning, which she loathes, as she considers herself quite above most of the world.

Information for planning phases will be updated live as you uncover it in a google doc, which will be linked in the Discord. Anybody can add in relevant information or other notes, but I'll try to keep on top of it as much as possible.

Currently, you have the dwarves' magical house at your disposal for six in-game hours (this is obviously slightly malleable, but basically you won't be able to stay the night). After that you'll have to find a place to hide out and plan, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"Thy boldness does thee credit, Thia." Yren remarks after the dwarves have left, smiling from behind a languid hand. "'Tis a shame we're bereaved of its profit, but I've no doubt our deeds will soon outgrow our hosts' thrift. But attend me." She's cozily nestled in her chair, legs tucked up and a plate of olives in her hand of gradually decreasing population. She speaks lightly, casually, as if planning a trip to the market. "I've a way to cajole the details of this estate. 'Twixt makeup and magic, 'tis no grave task for me to enshroud myself with noble visage. I shall appear as some long-forgotten cousin to Lady Hazelburn, visiting Waterdeep and wishing to visit with my distant kin. Some fortune, I might pretend to have, to further intrigue the Lady. She'll see me into her mansion, and there, I'll see the plan of the place. I should ask for one or two 'loyal retainers' to make my company - both for the sake of the trick and for more eyne that may see what I do not. If you've an actor's tongue and a critic's eye, I beseech you to join my troupe."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla's eyes perk up. "I'll come wit' 'ya! I can help ya scout out th' rooms an look for magic an stuff. I ain't ever disguised myself all nice an pretty an ladylike afore a job! I always jus went in invisible an snuck aroun like I ain't belonged." She pauses for a moment, "Maybes we should do a little bit of diggin ta see what forms of relatives we can pretend ta be afore we just roll up an give a totally fake name though!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
A conversation between Valeria Garland and Styx.

After the meeting with the dwarves was concluded, Val knew they needed more information on their target, or at least find something that would help them on their heist, so she goes to the one man who can point her to the information she needs; Styx. She informs the group that she'll be back shortly, telling them that she's going to go see a "special friend," and heads back to the Golden Coin Tavern to talk to her half-orc contact.

Styx, as usual, was parked behind the counter where he never seemed to move from. The Golden Coin wasn't exactly what you'd call bustling, but there were plenty of patrons to keep the business running. Styx had no employees, though; you ordered at the bar, and you picked up your food and drink at the bar when it was ready. One might almost suspect he was rooted in place, damned to a sisyphean task of cleaning an endless amount of dirty mugs. When Valeria enters, the rotund half-orc gives her a nod of appreciation, and slides over her usual once she takes a spot at the bar. "Found your mysterious admirer, then?" he grunts.

She replies back to his question with a nod, sliding over to her usual seat. "Two dwarves," she tells him, grabbing hold of her drink, "They want me and a few others to do a bit of 'retrieval' duty for them." Leaning in a little more now, Valeria lowers her voice down just enough so only Styx could hear her, and says, "I need a little help. Mind if we talk somewhere a little more private?"

Turning his head to survey the current patronage, he nods, then opens up the counter hatch to let Val through. "C'mon." Throwing down his rag, he leads her towards the kitchen - a small, but efficient enough space, featuring a big cauldron of what he calls 'endless stew', plus a few baskets of bread that was fresh perhaps two days ago, and a handful of other things. He grabs a big ladle and stirs through the bubbling concoction, watching it with a critical eye and giving it the occasional sniff. "Let's hear it, then."

"Alright, here's what happened..." Val leans her back on the wall, and begins to explain the job to Styx. She tells him about the five others she's going to work with, the dwarves, and their target, Lady Geraldine Ursola Viscountess Hazelburn, "...And that's the long and short of it. We need to get the box from the good lady, but we don't have much to go on, currently. I was hoping you'd be kind enough to point me to somebody who might know a little more about our good lady, and the people she surrounds herself with."

"Hm." Styx tastes the stew as Valeria tells her tale, then moves over to a small table with a cutting board on it. Grabbing a big cleaver, the half-orc rummages through his larder for a large blood sausage and starts chopping it into big chunks. "Heard that name before, alright. Buddy of mine used to work for the Hazelburns." Sucking in air through his lower tusks, Styx moves over the chopped sausage to the stew, throwing it in with a swift movement and resuming his stirring. "Good drinker. Terrible bluffer. Lifted him for a lot of his cash, but he was well paid, so he didn't care."

Taking another taste, he hums appreciatively, then turns back to face Val again. "That was two years ago, though, last time I've seen him. I'm sure he's still in Waterdeep somewhere, but he don't come around here no more. Not sure what happened." The half-orc shrugs, making his large belly wobble. "His name's Gawill Vere. Big lad, about yay high. Good mustache. Likes to dress in furs." He traces his finger from the side of his head down across the cheek. "Scar that goes from here to here. Can't miss him - if you can find him. Keeps it bare, too; he's got his hair shaved close enough that the side is all clean. Never understood why he did that."

"Hm. Is there anybody who might know where he is?"

The half-orc makes a non-committal sound. "Might be. Could try asking around The Fourth Call. Used to be one of our hangouts." Grabbing a loaf of bread, he starts cutting it with a large serrated knife into thick slices. "It's over in the North Ward, few blocks south from the temple of Moradin. No promises, tho. It's been a while since I've seen him. He might be dead for all I know."

"Hopefully not. It'd be a bit inconvenient if he was. I'll go check out the Fourth Call. If he's not there, or if he really is gone, then..." She shrugs, "...Well, then I hope the others have better luck than I do." Pushing herself off the wall she was leaning against, she says to the half-orc, "Thanks Styx. I'll make sure to save a bit of the gold for you after we're done with the job."

Styx nods. "Aye. Bring yer new friends around, too. I'll see if I can scare up some venison to make the stew special that day."

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

Donata glares at the map several times, the manor isn't too far from the city. "Could scout surroundings. Forest good cover for me." She eventually spoke up. "Shouldn't spook them, unless you want them spooked."

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

It seems a little bit of flattery would go a long way with Thia. The triton woman had her attention now, though really, she had been among the more intriguing of them from the start. None too bad at plotting either. Layla chimes in with a surprisingly insightful addition, though a tad directionless, and there's a moment where one could swear Thia almost smiles.

"We'll visit the Font of Knowledge then. Oghma's faithful should have the records we need, and for as wise as they believe themselves, their faith in their knowledge blinds them to the workings of those they deem lesser folks."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Their intentions clear and the mischief bubbling in their minds, the six set out on their separate paths, to gather as much information as they could before attempting their heist.

Layla, Yren and Thia
Having made their way towards the Font of Knowledge, the three ladies walk up the steps to the temple. It's a surprisingly small building, upon reflection, compared to the more grandiose temples of Lathander and Torm that are only a few streets away. A bust of an old man with a slick of long hair and a warm smile welcomes them before they enter; the plaque reads "Marcus Gellantara, Archbard and Hero of the Realm, responsible for renovating this temple in 1483 DR, welcomes you to this house of knowledge."

Entering the temple's antechamber, the three see a sturdy, mahogany counter before another entrance to a circular room, where there are rows and rows of bookcases. On either side of the wall of the antechamber hangs a tapestry depicting Oghma's symbol, a blank scroll. A prim, slender half-elf woman seated at the counter looks up as they enter, adjusting her glasses and giving the visitors a critical once-over with narrowed eyes. "Yes...?"

Val and Slim

The Fourth Call ends up being a bar, as expected, but one a little different from the usual establishments of food and drink the duo might've expected. The interior has no windows, but is lit with (presumably magical) torches that vary between a warm red and a cool blue in their flames. A trio of bards sits in the corner, playing melodies on strange instruments that invoke exotic locales, and what few patrons there are in the middle of the day are watching a show on stage of a scantily-clad woman, adorned with perhaps a dozen chains of fine silver studded with colorful, but small gems, going through a rhythmic dance, contorting her body slowly in what should be impossible figures.

The barkeep is a gregarious looking halfling that greets the newcomers with a wide smile...until he realizes the person accompanying the lovely lady is, in fact, a massive bugbear. His eyes go wide as he squeaks, though it's barely audible over the music, and frantically gestures for the two of them to follow him into a small room off to the side.

"What in the Hells are you doing here? Payment isn't due for another three days! I told Gregek, I don't mind paying the racket, but I don't want any of you louts in my bar! It's bad for business! And besides, you scare the girls!" The halfling gestures frantically as he speaks, but it's hard to read whether he's angry, scared, or just very energetic.

Donata

While the others go about the city, Donata retreats to her favored terrain; the wilds. Once she makes it out of the city, and out of sight from nosy guards or passersby, a simple transformation into animal form sends her cozily in the direction of the Hazelburn estate. She can see it from the road after a few hours, but the half-orc makes a wide berth for the small forest that rises up behind it instead. Thus approaching the grounds from the north-east, she settles in the underbrush, and watches.

Guards patrol the grounds with hounds at their side by day, and some of them occasionally bark at her if they get close enough to smell her, though they are quickly reined in by their minders. The mansion itself seems to have a patrol around it as well, two men with pikes of decent steel; from her angle, she can't quite see the front entrance, and risking the grounds might not be worth it. At night, when the shift changes around dusk, the hounds and their minders sleep in the servant's quarters, while the night guards continue the patrols with hooded lanterns. There's fewer of them at night, but the lights in the mansion remain on for a long time.

A few carts make their way to the back of the mansion; once in the morning and once in the evening. As best as Donata can tell, they are supplies; the back entrance leads to what is presumably the kitchen and larder, and big sacks of potatoes and vegetables are hauled off by the cook and his kitchen staff, two young girls with a spring in their step. An elderly looking half-elf checks the manifest in the morning, but the cook himself checks it in the evening, both making payments to the cart driver before he's sent on his way again.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren is glad to be joined by Thia. Both for practical reasons (it'll help to have someone along who seems perfectly at home in Waterdhavian society) and personal (since Thia's little speech to the dwarves, Yren finds her very intriguing). She's a bit less enthused about taking a trip to the temple of Oghma, but she has to concede that Layla and Thia are right. It will help to actually research an identity rather than just completely winging it, as accustomed as Yren is to the latter.

On the way to the temple, she fills the air with light conversation, which slips somewhat into quizzing Thia about Waterdeep. By the time they arrive, Yren hasn't grown any more appreciation for research, but she does admit to being at least a little curious about the temple itself. This would be the second landfolk temple she's been to, after showing up to the temple to Lathander in Athkatla on a whim one day, wanting to see what this place was that the landfolk were going to all the time. After taking in the building's exterior, she gives an after you gesture to her two companions an follows them in.

At the terse greeting the three receive, Yren steps forward with a bright smile, in her element at least in this moment. "My fair friend's awash with rumour of shrouded lineage." Yren puts a gentle hand on Thia's shoulder. "Passing common for a rumour, I grant, but she's heard whispers enough to have a lead or two to chase. We'd be in dear gratitude for a chance to see if there's any room for truth in them. We beseech thee to lend us Waterdeep's noble lineage records."

Persuasion Deception: 18

Wol fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 5, 2018

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Character Sheet

This is exactly why he was hesitant to come back. The Stonefist name comes with some very significant advantages... and drawbacks everywhere else. Eventually word is gonna get out that he's back, but most of the pink skins can't tell goblinoids apart aside from color. This should be fine, for now.

Slim sighs, and then speaks slowly, trying not to further upset the diminutive barkeep. "I uh, apologize. If we, uh, coulda chosen a different bar, we woulda. I'm not here on family business. Val's just gotta see a guy about a thing." Slim nods to Val and then holds his hands out, empty. "I gots no blades, I'll mind mah manners."

Diplomacy: 18-1=17

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

"Hmmm..." Donata growled softly from her perch, there were a lot of things to take in during a day. The cart driver might be useful on the way out rather than a way in with the way the staff checked it, or a way to get the jump on the kitchen staff. The smell of various foodstuffs might be enough to confuse the guard dogs which may be the best trackers on the outside, and with none of the guards actively leaving the manor grounds in a day, they would always be a problem, even asleep.

The night guard definitely looked to be the weaker link here, no dogs and limited sight with their lanterns, Donata could see in the dark better than those could shine making night time more preferable for an attempt. But to confirm anything the half-orc would have to check back... wherever everyone else went...

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

As cagey as Thia can be, she's pleasant enough to talk to when there's nothing on the line. She indulges her triton acquaintance's curiosity on the nature of the city and its inhabitants, though she seems less than enthused about spending time in Castle Ward itself. This is the home of the wealthiest of Waterdeep's citizens, retired adventurers and merchants alike, all with more gold to their name than they're worth themselves. It is the absence of the poor, really, that unnerves Thia though she does her best not to show it. There is something pristine here in a way that nothing truly is, an unpleasant facade for unpleasant people. The conversation with Yren serves to soothe her nerves and by the time they've arrived at the temple she's all too willing to play along and see how far the bard's silver tongue might carry them.

"You'll have to forgive my exotic friend. She's really quite sweet and clever too, just prone to waxing lyrical." Thia offers a small smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. If anything, she really does have the unnerving disinterest nobility seemed to acquire from birth nailed. "It's a rumor, surely. But, she won't relent and I must admit I've gotten quite curious myself."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla, Thia, Yren

The half-elf gives Thia another once-over. "Hm." She goes back to reading her book, though, she gestures with the quill towards the main room. "Darhal Evenwood's The Waterdhavian Thirty. Bookcase eleven, fourth shelf, third from the right. Don't take it out of the temple." She pays the ladies no further heed, and the three are free to move deeper into the temple. Stepping into the circular main room they see a row of perhaps two dozen bookcases, each about the height of two regular people, set up along the wall. Little alcoves inbetween every two cases are set up with small tables for reading, though they only seat one person at best. In the middle is a larger table for reading and note-taking, and looking at it their eyes catch a beautiful mosaic in the floor of what is presumably a depiction of Oghma - a regal old man with a crown of curly hair and a large beard - repelling insiduous-looking snakes, each branded with words like "lies" or "willful ignorance". Looking up, the dome-like ceiling doesn't have any windows, but there is an array of soft golden magical light that suffuses the room with enough to read by but not enough to be a strain on the eyes.

Finding the book is an easy enough task. They have to wait for another person to come down the ladder, but once the cleric has moved off with his book (giving Yren in particular a look that's half-way between curiosity and suspicion as he passes), they find the book recommended to them by the clerk at the front desk. It's a dense volume, perhaps a thousand pages long... looking through it will have to require some serious focus if they wish to find what they seek.

Roll History. Two people may roll separate checks, or one person may announce intention to help and let the other roll with advantage.

Slim, Val

The halfling looks half-ready to bolt before Slim is done talking. He looks from the bugbear to Val and back again a few times, assessing the weight of the burglar's words, before exhaling heavily. He straightens himself, slicks back his wavy, sand-blonde hair and tugs on his vest. "Well. Hm. Alright, then. But I tell you, next time this happens, send me a little warning, ya hear? I don't want any panic." Turning to Valeria proper, he bows at the waist. "Filibert Gammidge, at your service, madame. Tell me the object of your desire, and I shall endeavor my greatest to provide, as is a host's sacred duty!"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Aiight, let's see what we got here," Layla whispers--after all, they are in a library! She cracks open the large tome to the table of contents, scanning it for any reference of Lady Geraldine Ursola Viscountess Hazelburn or her family name in general. Failing that, she lifts the book and drops it on the other side, looking through the index for the same information.

History: 1d20+1 8

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Valeria Garland, a pleasure," she says, extending a hand to the halfling, "I'm hear looking for a man. He calls himself Gawill Vere. We were told that this place used to be one of his hang-outs, and we were hoping to find him here." She looks at Filbert, with her usual easy smile, "Since you yourself said you pride yourself on being a gracious host, perhaps you could tell us if you saw him or not?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 9, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla, Thia, Yren

The ladies pour over the book. It's an extremely dry, but detailed account of the noble families of Waterdeep, including the Hazelburn family. In the olden days, they were quite influential in the city; but the book details their descent into irrelevance, their power usurped by other families due to various political machinations. Unfortunately, they don't actually find what they're looking for. The family itself has little to no dalliances that might provide a plausible blood relation, even an imaginary one. It seems they will have to rely on their wits and charm alone to support their identity.

Slim, Val

Filibert takes the proffered hand and kisses it like a chivalrous knight. "The pleasure is mine alone, miss Garland." His smile droops a little as she describes her goal. "Gawill? What's a beautiful lady like you want with a lout like him?" He shakes his head. "He was a good man once, aye. A little rough around the edges, perhaps. But, alas, even good men can fall. These days, I would be loathe to even consider him a man still." The halfling sighs. "No, that is not fair. 'twas not his own choice that caused him to fall upon misfortune so. I do see him, yes, from time to time. Give him some scraps from my kitchen when I can, for old times' sake. You see, he's... rather not much of anything, these days. Lives on the streets, begging for coin, that he wastes on drink as soon as someone takes enough pity to give him some. You could try looking around the alleys here. Shouldn't be too hard to find him, if you can distinguish him from the refuse he calls home nowadays. He doesn't stray too far from this area." Raking his hand through his hair, Filibert looks back at Valeria with a somber expression.

Passive Insight: You sense he's telling the truth in so far as Gawill's current situation, but there's something there that he's not saying, likely out of what little respect remains for the man.

Going out on the streets and looking for Gawill requires an Investigation check.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 9, 2018

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren stands back and leaves Layla to her research, not really wanting to tussle with the intimidating tome herself. When Layla ultimately admits to coming up with nothing, she just shrugs. "'Twas a fair ploy, but the stroke of tedium's not lightly turned. No matter. Cold cozenry's also in my custom. Let's away."

Yren leads Thia and Layla back to the dwarves' hideout to prepare disguises for their upcoming con. Once in the safety of the magically concealed room, she undoes her pack, drawing out a fulsome array of makeup and prosthetics, as well as several bales of clothing. She bids her comrades sit as she takes a moment to consider what role each should play. "Layla, thy guarded manner'd suit a protector, a master at arms who guards me in my travels. 'Twould make an excuse for thy appraising eyne - it's an ill bodyguard who wields a witless gaze. And Thia, thyself do strike me skillful in acts unseen. It seems to me a noble's eye gauges no servant 'til they've need of them, and the Lady Hazelburn would scant need one of mine. An attendant's guise would suit thy purpose." Yren's lips curl into a mischievous smile. "Worry not; I'll strive to make no high demand of thee."

Yren begins putting together the group's disguises, whether as planned with their assent, or tailored to different roles should they object. While costuming makes the better part of Thia and Layla's disguises, Yren also spends a fair amount of time on makeup to emphasize their assumed stations. While her ministrations do add credence to their disguises, she takes long enough that they might suspect that she also just enjoys it. At one point, she crafts a scar for Layla with the intent of making her look tougher, but peels it off again after looking at the finished product. "Not my finest craft. 'Tis more a slug than a scar." She throws it away and moves on with the rest of her work. "No matter. 'Twas but a flourish."

She saves her own disguise for last. It takes, by far, the most time. It's no mere matter of little flourishes here and there to imply a certain station, she needs to craft herself an entire human face. She pulls it off, though, even going so far as making her nose look as much as possible like the image of Lady Hazelburn. Once finished, and all in costume, she returns to Layla and Thia with a little curtsey. "Shall we, my dear retainers?"

Disguise-making rolls:
Yren: 15
Layla: 9
Thia: 24

Wol fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 10, 2018

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Wow, you looks like a genuine landfolk now!" Layla exclaims at Yren. She summons Nightblade in her right hand and gives it a quick swing with a smile before affixing it quite visibly to her belt, to add to her disguise. "Let's go, I'm ready if y'all are!"

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

Thia bears the indignity of being the triton's plaything with as much apathy as anyone has ever mustered before or ever will again. She remains so perfectly still that one might question whether the elf had fallen into trance during the proceedings. It does, however, provide Yren the most perfect canvas to work with. More model than person, really, and the disguise is unquestionably distinct. Thia admires her reflection for a moment as Yren works on her own disguise, appraising how the bard had accessed the appropriate visage of a servant with a slight frown, though ultimately seeming to relent without voicing any displeasure. If nothing else, she was hardly recognizable. The same couldn't quite be said for Layla. Hopefully, that wouldn't matter quite as much.

"You look," Thia appraises Yren's disguise for a moment before offering a smile and a curtsy, "absolutely stunning, my lady. Shall I get the door?"

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"So, Gawill fell upon hard times, did he?" Valeria had a feeling that would be the case, and she could tell that there was a little more that Filibert wasn't telling her. In any other circumstances, she would've let it go, and not pressed him any further, but Gawill is potentially vital to their job, and whatever further information she could get about him could be valuable. "Mr. Gammidge, there's more, isn't there? I understand that you must have had a great amount of respect for him at one point, but I need to know if there'll be any trouble if me and my friend go look for him. Didn't you say yourself that it was a host's sacred duty to provide for their guests?" She reminds him, "And you said it was not his choice? Would you mind telling us what you mean by that, if it's no trouble?"

Persuading Filibert to tell me a bit more about Gawill. Rolled a 17 on Persuasion!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla, Thia, Yren

Disguises applied (to various degrees of functionality), the three make their way out of Waterdeep. Hailing a cart for the road is easy enough, and it makes the journey towards the Hazelburn estate a little easier. The driver is easily persuaded not to ask any questions, so you are free to discuss your plan of approach as you do. It takes about an hour into the afternoon before you arrive. The cart approaches a gate that gives entry into a large area with wrought-iron bar fence at about eight feet high. Four people lounge about near the gate, though as they see you arrive, one of them - a halfling woman with red hair - gets the other ones to stand at attention. "Ho there!" calls out another man. He doesn't wear a helm - revealing a young face with hazel brown hair and green eyes - nor do any of the others, but you can see said helms resting on a table inside the guard post. "What business brings you, strangers?" The guards don't look particularly suspicious, their posture straight, but not tense. They all wield pikes and shields, except for the halfling, who has two hammers, but the weapons are held with a relaxed grip and aren't pointed at you.

Passive Perception: You can see, further along the grounds, another guard, holding two dogs by chains, making his way around the perimeter.

Slim, Val

Valeria's pointed comment turns the halfling's expression a little defensive. "Ah, no trouble whatsoever, miss. It's not that kind of hard time. Nobody's looking for Gawill, really - well, except you, I suppose." He sighs, considering his options, leaning his weight from one leg to the other as if his internal scales are actually moving his body. Finally, he seems to come to a conclusion, and leans in conspiratorially and lowers his voice - though there's really nobody around to hear. "See...Gawill used to work for this fancy noble house. He was a groundskeeper there. It was a cushy job for him, after a few of his younger years in the city guard. Always had a green thumb, you see, so he made his hobby his work. Now the daughter of that house was a very fine lady - oh yes. They...had a dalliance for some years. Very quiet, very secret - but the house had plenty of estate grounds, so there was no trouble finding a private place - or so I've heard."

He gestures in a pleading manner. "Now, you must realize, he imparted this sordid history on me in personal confidence. Please, do not mention it to him, or he'll know I spilled the beans. You see...when the daughter became the lady of the house, there was no way their affair could continue - 'twouldn't do for her reputation to have a common lad courting her, you understand. So she fired him. About a year ago, now. Sent him off with a broken heart and an empty purse. Poor Gawill was never the same, after that. It's really quite a tragedy." Filibert shakes his head, seeming genuinely sad for his friend. He looks up after a moment. "Now...if that is quite everything, I really must get back to the bar. No doubt the patrons are becoming restless. If you don't mind?" He turns for the door out of the room, gesturing for you to proceed him and clearly hoping to shoo you out quietly before the presence of Slim makes things a little complicated.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Well, that certainly makes this Gawill character very useful. Maybe even central. A good distraction if nothing else.

Finding a drunk beggar in Waterdeep is easy. Unfortunately, finding a specific one is very, very hard.

Slim thanks the barkeep with a quick bow, and heads out into the streets with Val, making a spiral pattern out from the bar. He gives each beggar he passes a copper or two, giving them a quick lookover, while also keeping an eye out for any of his brethren that may be nearby. If the protection money isn't due for three days they shouldn't be lurking near this part of town, but he couldn't be too careful.

@Slim (Relentless): 2d20+1k1 Investigatin' = (5+12) = 12

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla sits and discusses with her comrades in the cart on the way there their plan of attack. "You may call me Merian Duval," she says. "I'ma be on the lookout for any magical traps or anythin like that, an' tryina to plot out the lay of the mansion. Yinz guys just gotta keep them distracted while I does that. Maybe tries ta get them ta tour us around a bit if you can?" Layla suggests.

She then casts Detect Magic immediately before they arrive at the mansion, as to give it the longest possible duration while they are there.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

Patrolling the outside, crawling through the undergrowth, Donata caught a glimpse of a new wagon arriving at the iron gate, snapping the guards to attention. This was worth keeping an eye on, see how things go with outsiders trying the front door.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren answers Thia's question with an amusedly raised eyebrow. "How could I refuse one with such wit to the actor's method? The door's thine." Satisfied that the three are as ready as they're going to be, she makes to oblige Thia's courtesy. "Exeunt us anon. The day dawns on our fortune."

----

The ride to the Hazelburn estate provides the first bit of silence Thia and Layla have had in Yren's company. The triton talks, still, but is evidently less inclined to aimless natter while in disguise. On disguises, the trip provides her time to reflect on her handiwork. Despite having felt confident in it while she was applying it, she's forced to privately acknowledge that Layla's isn't quite up to her usual standard. She's a little disappointed in herself, but a moment of doubt gives way as she assures herself that it shouldn't actually matter much. Layla looks tough enough as is, Yren convinces herself, and it's not like the girl is known in Waterdeep. Even if she's recognizable as herself, nobody in the estate should have cause to recognize her in the first place. She hopes.

----

Yren returns the guard's greeting with a chipper one of her own. "Well met and good afternoon to you, sirrah! I am Lady Tegan Roanwood of Alaron, and no pressing business brings me but a wish to meet my Waterdhavian cousin. I sent a letter ahead - I trust the Lady Hazelburn's expecting me?"

Deception: 25

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla, Thia, Yren

The halfling woman raises an eyebrow. "If you sent a letter, we weren't informed." She walks up to the cart, studying "Lady Roanwood" for a moment. "I also weren't aware milady had a cousin." For a moment, the gig seems up. The other guards look confused as well, not sure whether or not they should be preparing for a skirmish. Tension hangs heavily in the air.

Then, with the woman's sigh, everything is dispelled. "But I suppose that's nothing new. Go on ahead." With a nod of her red hair, the other guards open up the gate, and the cart is free to proceed onto the grounds. You can see various hedge-sculptures along the path, as well as a few colorful rosebushes and a fountain. Coming up to the mansion, you spot some stables off to the side, where a young boy is brushing a fine chesnut mare.

Standing before the door, you are made to wait for a few moments. When the door opens, you come face to face with a half-elf man, dressed impeccably in fine, ornate robes, carrying a book under his arm. He immediately seems to pick up on Yren's noble stature. "Whom may I have the pleasure of introducing, madame?" Giving your false identity, the man seems surprised. "A...cousin?" His expression falls into puzzlement. "Very well. Follow me, if you please."

He leads you through the grand hall towards a solar, where the Viscountess Hazelburn is sat in a fine, mahogany chair, letting a younger woman attend to her nails. Your introduction is met with another quizzical eyebrow. "A letter? I have received no such thing. Have we, Daeron?"

The half-elf shakes his head. "Not to my knowledge, milady."

"Well, then, cousin..." the Viscountess finally rises, after waving off the servant; her porcelain skin and beautiful features marred by a badly-hidden contempt and suspicion. She's not nearly as good an actress as any three of the ladies in front of her. "What brings you to Waterdeep after...so long? And why now, instead of...say, my father's funeral?"

Layla: So far, you pick up no magical traces anywhere in the mansion yet, though the half-elf bares faint magical traces of a practitioner.

Donata

As the cart proceeds through the gate, the guards close it once more, and you can see them discussing amongst eachother as they relax a little more, now that the oddity has passed. Their attitude seems professional and efficient, if slightly ornery given their lack of information. It seems unlikely that the front gate would be an exploitable entrance.

Slim, Val

As Slim expected, finding a particular beggar is rather tough. Plenty of them lurking around the street. Some of them even shuffle away when they see who donated their copper, knowing better than to linger around any area where a Stonefist is present. It takes the two of them the better part of the afternoon (and about two silvers worth of copper) to finally find who they are looking for. Gawill Vere may once have been a handsome man. That much is not hard to see. But the last year has been rough on him, it seems. Once-well kept hair and mustache are now overgrown and ratty, thought he large scar is still visible once you get half a peek under the hood he is wearing. His expression is bitter, but he looks up at you without malice. "Thank ye kindly," he rattles out, his voice coarse and probably indicating some sort of affliction in the lungs. He picks up the copper, but in the process spills the half-empty bottle he was resting in his lap. He doesn't seem to mind when it spills all over his rag-covered legs.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 15, 2018

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"My letter reached you not?" Yren wrinkles her brow, lowering her gaze to frown at the ground a moment. Finally, with a little shake of her head, she lets out a resigned chuckle. "I hope that courier lad I paid finds good company in his coin. But let that not mar this day. In truth, I know little of the Hazelburns. My grandmother never had a word to say about her family, nor why she fled it for the Moonshaes as a girl. My condolences about your father, but..." Yren spreads her arms in an open gesture, "being in Waterdeep on business, I thought to look up my estranged coz. Whatever went on between our ancestors lies in the past. Surely it's not too late for two cousins to spend an afternoon - not too late for a family to begin to know itself again?" She smiles warmly, expectantly up at Lady Hazelburn.

Deception: 21

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Valeria looks at at the once-proud man with pity. During her time as a soldier, she's seen many men who wind up in the same situation as him; poor, homeless, their dignity stripped away from them as they're forced to beg for scraps on the streets. If it wasn't for the generous aid she received from Styx all those months ago, after her company met it's tragic end, then she, too, would have ended up on the streets, just like Gawill. "Hello," she says, crouching down to meet the haggard man at eye level, "Are you Gawill Vere? I would like to have a small talk with you," she produces a single gold coin from her pouch, and slides it to him, "I promise we will make it worth your while."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 26, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Layla, Thia, Yren

The Viscountess stares for a moment longer. You can see she's not quite sure whether to trust you're speaking the truth. But Daeron, her half-elf servant, pipes up after another moment of tense silence. "The Moonshae Isles - be you a descendant of Lady Della, milady?" It seems the robed man is rather knowledgeable about the family - he must've been serving here for a while. "I hadn't thought she had had any descendants...but I suppose it is possible. It has been a rather long time ago since she - ah, took her exile, so to speak."

"Great-auntie Della?" Hazelburn pipes up with half a laugh. "You're her granddaughter?" With a shake of her head, her contempt and suspicion seems to fall away. "Well, I suppose it all makes sense, now. Perhaps it was for the best that you didn't come here before, then. You must be aware that her exile was...a bit of a sore spot among the family. I didn't know her myself, of course, but I've heard the stories." She gestures for one of the other seats in the solar. "Come! Sit! We must have tea and talk. Your servants may go to the servant's quarters in the meanwhile. Daeron, show them the way." The half-elf nods, and gestures for Layla and Thia to follow him.

Thia: (Passive Insight) Daeron's face tightens momentarily at the curt dismissal. It seems he's not entirely happy having the Viscountess as his sole remaining employer...but either out of loyalty to the family or because he has nowhere else to go, he chooses to stay.

Slim, Val

The promise of gold makes Gawill pay more attention. A violent cough - either from the surprise or simply from whatever he's caught living on the street - takes him over for a long moment, and he spits a large glob of pleghm into a small heap of debris to the side. "...who wants to know?" Whatever life has heaped upon him, he's clearly not desperate enough to abandon the caution of a seasoned veteran. A quick explanation of how you came to find him seems to bring some life to his eyes. "Styx? Now there's a bastard I haven't heard of in a long time. Guessing he's gotten fatter over the years." The man straightens himself with another clearing of his throat, but the rasp in his voice doesn't go away. "Alright then. What do you want with a broken man?"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Yren is hesitant to part from Layla and Thia. She wants them by her side, their discerning eyes on whatever she can convince Lady Hazelburn to show her. Moreover, she wants them with her just in case the Lady does see through her ruse. Her mind races, part looking for excuses to keep them, part realizing that they'll still be able to do valuable work from the servants' quarters. Perhaps it's actually better they part - separate, they'll be able to look at more areas of the mansion. Yren's quickly realizes her hesitation must be showing on her face, though, as she notices Lady Hazelburn noticing. She puts her warm smile back on. "Forgive me, coz. It's been an eventful journey, and my retainers have seen me through thick and thin. But you've the right of it, of course. Lead on." She looks over her shoulder first at Thia, then at Layla. "You may take your leave."

Over the course of the afternoon, Yren encourages Lady Hazelburn to share stories. She offers some of her own in return - of her voyage, of the Moonshaes, of how her once-incorrigible grandmother actually mellowed out with age. All fiction, of course, but there she's in her element. She threads the conversation with compliments about the Lady's decor, as well as any looking curiosities she may keep. Ultimately, she wants to encourage the Lady to give her a tour of the place and to show off her prized possessions. She wants to learn as much as she can about both. She wonders if Lady Hazelburn might go so far as to brag about this mysterious box she's supposed to be finding, but she's not going to push it. That'd just be a bonus. She does put a little bit of her attention to trying to commit any guard postings to memory if any are inside, but that's admittedly not her main focus.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Valeria chuckles over his comment on Styx, "Well, he has put on a bit more weight lately." She meets the man's gaze, and says, "I'm here to ask you about a certain woman. Someone you might've been familiar with at one point; Lady Geraldine Ursola Viscountess Hazelburn," she pauses to give him time to react to that name, then continues, "There's this special box that she has, and let's just say that me and a few of my friends have an interest in that box. We were wondering if you knew anything about the object, or if you might have any valuable information about the lady herself?" A beat, "Now, I must imagine you must have no special love for the lady, and of course," I jingle a few more coins in my hand, "I'm very willing to make it worth your while."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Layla quietly huffs as she is sent away before she can examine anything of note. As they head out through the door, Layla does the best she can to observe guard patterns and the layout of the grounds--she knows that Donata is already doing it, but a set of eyes from the ground couldn't hurt. Once in the servants' quarters, Layla again takes stock of the situation, counting beds and footlockers to see how many guards there are versus regular staff, and trying to determine just what staff there actually is in the location. After scanning her surroundings, Layla addresses the servant, "So, how long you been here, Sir?" she asks softly.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

Thia offers a deep and solemn obeisance in respect to Yren's dismissal and without a word departs to follow Daeron. She maintains a sort of somber quietness for the most part, with rigid posture and practiced elegance that was surely instilled from painstaking trial and error, taking on the visage of the servant as best she knew it. And while at first she seems to be keeping her eyes to the floor the more astute observer might notice the wood elf counting heads, or rather feet, and taking note of the manor's occupants and their occupations.

Once they are well out of ear shot of Lady Hazelheart she speaks up as well. "My apologies, Master Daeron." She takes a soft, sweet apologetic tone. "I am sure there is must more important business that one such as yourself could be taking care of. Thank you so very much for accompanying us."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Donata

Having spent the better part of the day watching the patrols, it's easy enough to see the pattern. Three separate patrols - one man, one dog - each cover one side of the grounds, patrolling a length of about 400 feet, with the southern border of the estate being watched by the people at the gate. They're set up in such a way that they never meet close to eachother; one side goes south-north, the other goes north-south.

During Donata's stay, the groundskeeper - an older, pudgy woman wearing thick leather boots, a simple, but tough tunic and similar pants and carrying a basket with a few tools - eventually walks into the forested area, beginning to trim the underbrush here and there, rooting up a few weeds, and checking the trees for sickness or other damage. In her animal guise, the half-orc's not too worried - she survived the dogs' instincts too - but the groundskeeper notices the animal as if by chance, and gasps softly. "Hello there," she coos, gesturing gently for it to come forward, "aren't you a pretty one? C'mere, little one, I'm sure I've got a treat for you here somewhere..." Her free hand digs into a pocket, rummaging around a little before coming back out with some trail mix. "Here, see? Are you hungry?"

Layla, Thia

Daeron leads the two servants back into the hall, through the kitchen, and across the grounds towards the servants quarters. "I have worked here for thirty years now. I started as an apprentice under the majordomo of the Viscountess' parents, when he was getting older and had trouble keeping the numbers straight." He spares a small smile. "I run the household now, more or less - the day to day, the minutiae that my Lady has no time for. So yes, miss, unfortunately I do have other business to attend to. If you wish anything to drink or eat, feel free to ask one of the maids." Barring either lady stopping him, he walks back to the house before they enter the servant's building.

Along the way, they've seen a handful of people. In the kitchen, there were two maids, and the cook, a stocky man with a ratty moustache. Walking past the stables, they saw a young stableboy brushing the coat of a chestnut mare, and an older, broad-shouldered man (presumably the stablemaster) fixing a saddle with a large bodkin. Entering the other building, it splits off into a large bunk with roughly twenty or so beds - they can see about eight or so guards sleeping, presumably the night shift. The other side of the building holds a common room, with some provisions for preparing food, a washing station, and what they presume is a small larder. They see a maid sitting there, a young girl with red hair in a long braid, who brightens up considerably when they enter. "Oh! Hello!" Her smile is as wide as a barndoor. "Are you new? I hadn't heard of any new hires, but Master Wake has been so busy lately, I'm not surprised he hasn't told us. I'm Wynna! Please, have a seat. Oh, this is going to be so exciting!" She whirls up from her seat, moving over to a kettle hanging over a small fire. "It's so great working here, you're gonna have a ball of a time. Tea?"

Yren

The Viscountess is more inclined to listen than to speak; but she does share a bit of her own family history, of how her parents were complacent up to the point of their death, content to rest on the laurels of their fortune while their political relevance declined more and more. If it's up to her, on the other hand, that shan't be the case; the city will know the name Hazelburn before long. To that end, she is going to a gala organized by one of the other nobles, Baron Tallmount, two days from now, and gosh, wouldn't it be delightful if her new cousin could come along, to see how they do things here in Waterdeep? And having more blood to the Hazelburn name once again would be a wonderful foundation for her to make a move on; no longer would she be the sole heir. It wouldn't deter all the suitors, of course, but it would make for a better showing.

They do eventually end up having a tour of the place; it's a short affair, however. Beyond the solar and the living room, there's not much else to see below. Hazelburn has the cook whip up a few sandwiches - which the man completes with significant speed - which the two of them enjoy as they go along. Upstairs, 'Lady Roanwood' is introduced to a sizeable library - where the half-elf servant is bowed over what looks to be a ledger of some sort - a small hobby room (the Viscountess is an amateur painter, though not unskilled), a guest bedroom, and a much larger and more ornate master bedroom. A maid is cleaning up inside and changing the sheets, though the Viscountess pays her no heed. Throughout the tour, Yren doesn't spot any guards inside, but looking out the window, there are two men at the front door, and two men circling the house.

Roll Perception.

Slim, Val

The jingle of coin has Gawill's attention; beneath the broken visage, his eyes glitter with a sharpness. "No special love, eh..." his voice trails off into another hacking cough. "How wrong you are, lass. Oh, aye, I should hate her, for how she treated me, but..." A vague shrug. "I know of the box, aye, but not what she keeps in it. A trinket, I imagine. Some heirloom. What is it to you?" Grabbing a brick that juts out slightly from the wall he's leaning against, the man pulls himself up to his full height - and now that he's standing, shoulders straight and head forward, he's almost as tall as Slim - maybe an inch less. He pulls his hood back, though his eyes are still in a squint; but it's hard to tell if it's because of the light or if he's sizing up the two of them. "If you're looking for riches, Ger--the Viscountess doesn't have much left. Always was a big spender, she was. Not used to thriftiness, of course. Nobles never are."

Val: Roll Insight to see how much, if anything you have to pay for Gawill's info.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Character Sheet

Slim grumbles a little at Gawill's response. Of course the fool still has feelings for her. If he didn't, he'd have gotten his poo poo together and found some work.

Insight roll: 7+5=12

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Character sheet

Donata inwardly curses at her own incursion on to the grounds. She didn't trust anyone of the Hazelburn's staff not to take offence to the presence of a squirrel inside the grounds, not even one offering food. There had been too many traps laid with trail mix, even if she couldn't see the snare in the leather gloves. While she doubted that they would pose that much of a threat should things turn rough, she was trying to keep a low profile, not rip out throats. Discretion being the better part of valour: Donata literally turned tail and fled back outside the boundaries, hoping that no-one would think it as anything more than a rodent getting spooked by humans.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Valeria calmly stands back up, putting her back at her full height, "Hey, now. No need to be so tense," she says, raising her hands up in a placating gesture, "A few friends and I are merely curious about the lady and the little trinket she carries around with her. That's all. We don't mean to do her any harm, I swear," lowering her hands now, she reaches for her pouch, "Look, we've probably gotten off on the wrong foot," she holds out a closed hand, "Maybe this will make it up for you?" She smiles, and opens her hand to reveal a few more gold coins she happens to be holding, enough to make him a little more willing to share whatever information he might have, hopefully.

@Valeria Garland: 1d20+6 Insight = (14)+6 = 20

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Slim, Val

Gawill sighs. "Keep the rest of your money. You seem to have more of a desire for wealth than I." He turns the first-offered gold coin between his knuckles, an old trick he probably picked up somewhere. "I'm not sure what you want me to tell you. Again, I don't know what's in the box. I know she keeps it in a safe, along with some other trinkets. Pretty sure it's been in the family a while. Don't think it does anything, really, if that's what you're looking for." His eyes are unfocused, remembering a time when he was better off than now, the coin traveling between his fingers almost on automatic. "I know the captain of the house guard. Donna Bairnell is her name. Halfling. Red hair. Tough, but fair, and she takes her job seriously, even if there's not much going on beyond the occasional wild animal coming in from the forest. She's efficient - used to be a merc, so she knows what it takes for a good guard - and she tries to make her men to be the same. They respect her, though not all of them like her. I did, though. She's good people."

"The Lady's majordomo, Daeron, he's a smart guy, but he liked her parents better than he does her. Doesn't always agree with her decisions, either, but she doesn't care enough to notice after their arguments that he does what's best for the household anyway, regardless of it being what she wants. He's probably the only reason she's not destitute." Gawill shrugs, and his eyes comes back into focus. "Dunno what else you want to know, but that's about all I got." The man faces the two again. "You gonna tell me why you're after that box, or am I gonna have to buy a drink and forget I ever saw you?"

Slim (Insight): Gawill is in fact still subject to his heart's whims when it comes to the Viscountess. It is unlikely that he'll help you with the heist, beyond telling you what you want to know. You do notice that the hand not playing with the gold coin is fiddling around with an embroidered handkerchief in his pocket that, while slightly smudged, isn't nearly as dirty as he is. Seems he goes to certain lengths to keep it clean-ish.

Val: Donate one gold to Gawill as per your initial offer, but keep the rest.

Donata

You make it to the greater forest safely. The groundskeeper stares at your fleeing for a moment, then sighs, and gets back to work. Studying the rest of the guards is an easy task, even if you have to wait a while before you can make an attempt to cross into the grounds again.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

"Sorry to burs your bubble, ma'am, but it ain't like that," Layla says. "We're visiting here wit the Viscountess' cousin, though I'd love to learn more about how you all keep this estate running so smoothly! It's like clockwork!"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Feeling like the Lady's personality isn't particularly apt to make her spill much more information, Yren relaxes a little and decides to content herself with just having a pleasant time. When the conversation shifts to Lady Hazelburn's paintings, Yren notices her light up a little, so she eggs her on to keep talking about them. This time, it's not a strategy, she just wants to hear her conversation partner talk about something she's passionate about. She promises to meet at Lord Tallmount's gala, too, adding that she brought a couple dresses to Waterdeep with her for just such an occasion. Eventually, however, she does have to say her farewells - "for today", she promises, as she does really have to get back to the city before evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"I believe it would be best for all of us if you go treat yourself to a drink, and forget about our conversation," Val tells him. She turns around, and puts a hand on Slim's shoulder, "Come on, Slim. I think we've bothered him enough, don't you think so? We should probably head off now," she says, satisfied with the information she got from him. Now it's all a matter of regrouping with the rest of her comrades, and sharing what she found out with them.