Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Mooey Cow posted:

We don't do that OP. Making fun of people for how they speak is extremely rude and insensitive and only an English-speaker would think of doing such a thing, all "hooowdy folks this is how you eat a cheesin burger yeehaw" :lofty:

I don't think anyone is making fun. Well, maybe they are, but I am interested in knowing how people hear other languages and accents. Like, Dutch sometimes sounds like English to me, but I know it isn't. And Portuguese gets me confused to hear it, because it's like Spanish and French together but also isn't either of them!

And the other day I was listening to the radio, and I thought they were speaking...I sounded at points like Hebrew or Arabic but just certain things...turned out it was Telugu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Wall Balls posted:

when making fun of american tourists we say OH MY GAWWWWD

That's chicago

Vakal
May 11, 2008
German on the other hand is a beautiful language that really comes through in song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ynj6w2tII

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is amazing.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Vato posted:

I don't think anyone is making fun. Well, maybe they are, but I am interested in knowing how people hear other languages and accents. Like, Dutch sometimes sounds like English to me, but I know it isn't. And Portuguese gets me confused to hear it, because it's like Spanish and French together but also isn't either of them!

And the other day I was listening to the radio, and I thought they were speaking...I sounded at points like Hebrew or Arabic but just certain things...turned out it was Telugu!

TBH, once you know a language, it's very hard to hear anything but actual words when you hear it. So people posting from countries where English is well-known are unlikely to have such experiences.

You might hear children trying to imitate English though, and I think they often make sounds like "yeah" and "weah" when doing so.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mooey Cow posted:

TBH, once you know a language, it's very hard to hear anything but actual words when you hear it. So people posting from countries where English is well-known are unlikely to have such experiences.

You might hear children trying to imitate English though, and I think they often make sounds like "yeah" and "weah" when doing so.

That reminds me of the director of The Downfall saying he had to turn down the volume every time he watched a Hitler Shouts about X video because otherwised hed be distracted by the actual dialouge

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDAFhoT0v9g&t=161s

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Of course there's blackface in this video.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
This reminds me of a memoir about growing in Maoist China (Wild Swans or something?) where as children they played their version of Cowboys and Indians which was "Patriotic Factory Worker vs Decadent Imperialist American Lapdogs" where to be American they ran around saying "Hello! Hello! Hello? Hello!!!"

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
say "wa waaa wa wa waa waaaa wa wa wa" while gesturing robotically w your hands. this is claearly english.

jerk irl
Apr 26, 2018

Lima posted:

American english: Swap every period and comma with the vile word 'like'.

English english: Turn every sentence into a question.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I was going to say we call them 'whinging poms' but then you mean the language.

We mock it by opening our mouths and speaking it i guess.

(Australia)

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

In linguistics I learnt that native Americans imitate white people by talking "too much and too fast", calling everyone friend or buddy repeatedly, and acting overly familiar, asking questions that are obviously too personal. Also handshaking and hugging excessively and over enthusiastically.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Saying the other person's name a lot in a conversation. I thought americans did that only in movies to remind the viewer of the character's names, but recently heard two old rear end american* tourists talking and one of them used the other guy's name twice in the maybe four sentences I overheard.

The name was "Charlie" in case you're interested.

*could've been canadian too i guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'll pay for it with my credit card

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

YeahTubaMike posted:

these both sounded pretty much like sims radio

A year or so ago my friends and I took some mushrooms and at some point my gf's phone shuffled to the Sims soundtrack
The half recognizable almost English gibberish from the Sims had us really concerned for a bit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

you rear end in a top hat

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'll pay for it with my credit card

Do you have any non dairy creamer

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

scott zoloft posted:

A year or so ago my friends and I took some mushrooms and at some point my gf's phone shuffled to the Sims soundtrack
The half recognizable almost English gibberish from the Sims had us really concerned for a bit.

Lol when you get so high you think you've forgotten english

Non sarcastic :thumbsup:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gaunab posted:

Of course there's blackface in this video.

to be fair it's set in america

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ferroque posted:

This is the most accurate representation of what english sounds like to non-english speakers (and it's a fuckin banger too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDCMMtY3uTk

I think this one is funnier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8uKIqt9Nc

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Parrots pick up on language and approximate it.The nonsense they say is English interpreted by another species.

https://youtu.be/LeoPehOQkhM
(Subtitles are more what it sounds like than what he is saying though he does know some phrases)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
https://youtu.be/xb0h9JcBPlo

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Icochet posted:

Saying the other person's name a lot in a conversation.

As an American I notice this and it bothers me. This trait and too much smiling are red flags.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Icochet posted:

Saying the other person's name a lot in a conversation. I thought americans did that only in movies to remind the viewer of the character's names, but recently heard two old rear end american* tourists talking and one of them used the other guy's name twice in the maybe four sentences I overheard.

to be honest i feel like in terms of using names to refer to the person you're speaking to, americans don't really ever. Like you can basically forget a person's name after the day you met them and it will almost never come up again whereas in many languages it's common to address someone directly rather than using something like 'you'.

Like here it'd come off strange essentially using third person when addressing someone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've only ever known or talked to a few people who say the person's name they're talking to frequently, and those who do it are always weird and off. I definitely don't think it's an american thing. I tried watching 13 Reasons Why, and it was pretty bad enough already, but what made it even more jarringly bad is that every character spoke the name of the person they were talking to multiple times per conversation.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've always heard that americans are easy to spot abroad because we have freakishly white and perfect teeth. nobody values tooth polishing and bleaching like americans, or medically unnecessary dental work

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A friend from Hong Kong says Australian English sounds like HURR MURR NURR DURR BURR

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

elmer chud posted:

As an American I notice this and it bothers me. This trait and too much smiling are red flags.

Smiling too much? Like, being friendly?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Smiling too much? Like, being friendly?

Sociopaths wear a constant smile when conversing, as they know that normal humans smile to convey happiness but don't understand any further than that.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tree Bucket posted:

A friend from Hong Kong says Australian English sounds like HURR MURR NURR DURR BURR

That translates to 'hey mate, no dingo baby' if you're interested.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
My wife is from overseas, and while visiting her folks you have a whole flock of little age 1-4 nieces and nephews swarming around. And of course at that age none of them know a lick of English. So to them they're at a family party and there's a bunch of normal adults yeah yeah, but than there's this one weird guy (me) there who just makes strange noises from his mouth instead of talking like a goddamn regular person.
Well one time, as one does, you still talk at little kids for fun... "Hey Christina! Where is your brother!" etc, and that 3 year old girl turns to me after enough of this and just goes "BWAWBWAWBWAWBWAWBWAW" at me lol.

I must seem like just some complete retard space alien that hangs out with their aunt. It's adorable to be condescended to by a toddler.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

elmer chud posted:

Sociopaths wear a constant smile when conversing, as they know that normal humans smile to convey happiness but don't understand any further than that.

That's bullshit

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Gaunab posted:

That's bullshit

:wrong:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Icochet posted:

I don't think this is a thing Americans do at all, or Canadians for that matter. :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grape posted:

I don't think this is a thing Americans do at all, or Canadians for that matter. :shrug:

I think this might be regional.
I talk to people around the country every day and it seems southerners (Dixie, not the SW) do this a lot more than anywhere else. They're much more likely to interject a "..well, [first name], I'm [doin'/thinkin'/gonna'/whatever]" into a sentence than anyone I know. No idea why, whereas up north here I can know someone for weeks and just say "Hey, can you.." without caring I never learned their name or forgot it, or in place of where you or I may may just use "well, man"

Just another stupid Southern thing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yeah I'm from the Northeast so we basically do everything the total opposite of what the South does lol.

Me being a Northeasterner has also not been a big help with the foreign inlaws, lots of them are decent with English (understanding it rather than speaking it) but then their daughter/niece/sister/cousin went and chose the fastest talking region of the US to pick a husband from.

It took me awhile to realize my otherwise English fluent sister in-law was picking up maybe 25% of what I was saying to her and was mostly politely smiling and nodding lol.
I have learned to slow down and throw less regionalisms in things.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Northeasterners are trash English speakers, followed by swedes

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced it is just a southern thing because I can hear fat white middle aged white women talking to me and saying "Wehell aaahlraight Maaahkelll (Michael)" Like 2-3 times in a very brief conversation on multiple occasions with me and now I'm irritated irrationally and had just never noticed it before and now will never NOT notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Gaunab posted:

Northeasterners are trash English speakers, followed by swedes

We're the epicenter of Yiddish entry into English, and for that alone we are the best. You friggin' schmuck.

• Locked thread