Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There is no Supreme Religion
Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau
Coeur Tableau
Marchionni Tableau

The lovely Margret is no longer on the shelf, and apparently she's eligible to marry half of Europe.

The Mediterranean's the healthiest it's ever been.

Full size

The Western market continues to grow, and we see our first Trade Shift for the Spice Islands. Much like the Eastern routes, I do not think there's a way to reset it back to Byzantium. The Spice Road's long and inefficient!
GO up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
a) Run eastern trade fair. Two florins to me, one to the Medici, goodbye destabilizing threat to my crown.

b) 3 Florins to grab the Jesuits.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau
Marchionni Tableau

Whatever Algeria was called then is gaining in strength...

As is everywhere else. The entire south of Europe is fully saturated. Look at that!

Full size

The powerful plot has been subsumed, and the west continues to acucmulate Florins. Some of them may even make it to Germany one of these days.
CD up.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Grab the khelpts then the civil engineer.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau

Marchionni is pivoting to being an Ops guy. Look at that smug Engineer, you know that guy's smart.

I was going to not post this because it didn't effect the hand-state, but then I remembered the players holdings.

Full size

Sitti-I's time might have passed, but that's still an Islam Prestige you can hold on forever. Which would be nice if Islam was the Supreme Religion.
SN up.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Buy and play the EU. Place the rook.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nunberg or Lubek?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

The EU could trigger an Apostasy, but nobody's got more than one card in their Tableau. It could also deactivate Religious victory, but we've not seen a comet. Had a lot of money on it though!

I rooked up Lubek, let me know if you want it changed. I expect it makes little difference.

Full size

And we've got Star Chamber! One of the few cards whose referents I knew beforehand. Still proverbial in Britain for a brutal and unjust court.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

- Marry off Margaret to Aragon and place a concession to the west.
- Run the western trade route for 3 florins.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

If I'm not mistaken, you get a choice of Rook or Knight in France, which almost saturates the entire board.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Gutter Owl posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you get a choice of Rook or Knight in France, which almost saturates the entire board.

I don't think so. With my concession from Margaret it doesn't even get to Portugal before running out of cash.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

whoops again

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It got to Portugal by my count: starts at 4, +2 for a trade fair, -1 for a trade fair, Hungary E, Hungary W, Aragon E, Aragon W, Portugal N. There's a bankruptcy variant w/out Trade Fairs getting two and giving one, it's just what's paid on and what concessions take out. Seems meaner.

Fugger Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

I believe that Maggy can call for a vote in Aragon, which Medici would win, which would flip Aragon to a Republic, which would depose her to the discard pile. Very noble lady.

Fairly reasonable looking Europe. England, France and Germany have never seen a single florin.

Full size.

Papal elephant! The PT Barnum of the Papcy! When I first saw this game irl, I found this card by chance and was so delighted by it I waved it in the face of a friend.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

INT, NIGHT: Palau Reial Major, honeymoon suite ($600K/night, champagne service, vibrating bed)

Margaret of Austria: Oh, Johnny...

King John II, "The Faithless": Today, Margaret, I have made you my queen. But tonight, I shall make you a wo--

???: Knock knock.

King John: What the devil?

???: Knock knock.

Margaret: Um. Who's there?

???: The Jesuits.

Margaret: The Jesuits who?

???: Deus vult.

Margaret: ...that's not a very funny joke, sir.

The Jesuits: No, but this is.

---

Start with 5 florins (thanks, Medici).

Action 1, play The Jesuits. Declare a crusade in Aragon. Papal knight and French knight will die on the blades of the heathen Moors, and Aragon becomes a Theocracy.

Displace the Medici concession between Aragon and Papal States. Bishop goes onto Jesuits.

---

INT: The Holy See

Pope Pius III: What wonderful news of from the West. God's blessing upon us all.

Some nice men from Aragon: Knock knock.

Pope Pius III: Oh, motherfucker.

---

Action 2, run Western Ops.

+Aragon campaigns against the Papal States, spending 1 florin for 1 knight. No casualties, Papal states are now a vassal of Aragon.

+Place a new concession between Papal States and Ottomans.

+Jesuits will then Inquisit the white bishop to Aragon, to "pacify" the grumpy Medici pawn hanging around.

End with 3 florins.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

This is the first time someone's fired Ops? I don't know what the big yellow arrow for - I believe this mod automates a lot of things, maybe even that. The little arrows to show the order. I just find MSpainting numerals funny.

Coeur's storming! Still no supreme religion as Islam and Catholicism are tied on Bishops.

e:

Full size.

Why make anyone scroll up?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2018

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

so...anyone wanna run trade fair?

:haw:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Who's turn is it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yours!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Christ I forgot the Jesuits was in hand. That's probably the game right there.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Play both my cards, killing a noble in the ottoman empire, run ops for free, tax the concession that is not mine in Portugal and the eastern blue concession in the ottomans, seige to kill an ottoman noble?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Play both my cards, killing a noble in the ottoman empire, run ops for free, tax the concession that is not mine in Portugal and the eastern blue concession in the ottomans, seige to kill an ottoman noble?

???

a) Do you mean repressing a noble with the new Rook from the Klephts? If so, which noble in which city? And remember, that costs a florin.

b) Remember, each card can only perform one of its potential ops each turn, not all of them. So you can't both tax AND siege with the Klephts. Gotta pick one. (And if you do siege, remember, you gotta specify *which* noble you're killing.)

c) You can't tax in a saturated empire. If there's no room for a new levy, you can't perform the tax op.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Ah shoot, a rule i missed.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

As for the the kill, i believe cd means fire the conspiracy one shot, which fails as a conspiracy but does kill a unit.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

As for the the kill, i believe cd means fire the conspiracy one shot, which fails as a conspiracy but does kill a unit.

Yup.

I had missed that I couldn't seige and tax though so just tax twice.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

OK, you can tax in the Ottoman Empire because the Khepts just killed a Noble, and I need to hear from GO if she wants to pay to keep that concession. I'd also like to hear what City got targeted in case she doesn't. Portugal is Saturated (all cities are full, and the Spice Islands Emporium is busted) and so you cannot tax but only Siege for next turn. Which is an element of the rule I had totally forgotten about, so apologies to all and thanks to GO for catching it. Again, name a city because it might matter for some reasons.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Don't I tax a concession? In which case the eastern one. Then GO places the levy where they want?

Edit: oh right, go for Constantinople

Seige Granada in Portugal o guess.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 16, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You are taxing a concession, but the money goes to Levying troops. I guess when an Empire's saturated, the taxman can't bring himself to ask for money he has no clue for how to spend.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since there was a bit of cross talk: Gutter Owl, will you pay a Florin to keep your concession on the East Ottoman boarder?-
The Ottoman empire isn't saturated as the Klept agent killed a defender in the conspiracy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Have a florin, China. Don't spend it all in one place.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

And the pivot to being an Ops guy has happened. Very technological, these Marchionnis.

The Ottomans spend it all in one place.

Full size.

Next up Softnum.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

BUy and Play almedia armada. Trade shift to islands. Displace the Marchionni concession with mine, paying the one florin.

Whoops, I guess something else.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 17, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can't. Spice Islands need a Discover Prestige that's not on the card w/ the one shot.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

OK let's do this instead.

Buy the armada. Hold in hand.

Play the pirates from hand. Pirate to the south, displacing the green concession.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since SN was asking in the Discord, Here's a folder of all the cards. There's 150 total and only 60 in the game.

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

A big strat in Paxes is "attack the leader". Sometimes though, you just attack who you can.

Marchionni loses its first and last concession, and we see our first Reformation unit that could maybe do some Reforming, if cards came up.

Full Size

Clearly inspired, here comes Luther. A bit far away from the Scots, but the HRE is certainly toppleable without them.

Admanb is up.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Buy Hermeticism for net 0.

Buy Sitt-i Hatun for 4.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

A little insurance for all the Bishops on the board.

Cleaned out Coffers.

Full size

I like how many cards are just "Some Kind of Pirate". I guess most don't leave their names to history.

GO's up.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I have a feeling things are about to go in a direction. Time to bank up.

Run East Trade Fair, then West Trade Fair.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fugger Tableau Hand
Medici Tableau Hand
Coeur Tableau Hand
Marchionni Tableau Hand

----

Breaking out the big bucks. Money in Sierra Madra games is these crummy little bingo chips (for cost/weight/box-size considerations). I never had any issues with the Paxes but John Company had White, Blue, and Red chips for 1, 5, and 10 (as per little chart on the board) and you had to stay on top of changing up because there just weren't enough.

Full Size

Excitingly, there are 14 cards left in the Eastern deck. We've reach the point where it's possible for a comet to cross the market.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Buy the Dalmatian merchant marine.

Play it, paying one florin to surpress the western concession in the ottoman empire

Run ops for free

Seige the pirate in Portugal, and one of the Islam knights in the ottoman empire.

Tax the northern concession in the ottoman empire.

Get a florin.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Trade takes a Florin from the cards on the market - do you have a preference?

• Locked thread