Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

not really. the major ones seem to have their own set of issues. eso/wow/fashion wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alkydere posted:

You didn't lose XP but you did get a big chunk of experience debt where you only earned 1/2 experience (that decreased as you rested/logged off so it was admittedly a good "go take a break" mechanic).

The rest mechanic has not changed since classic wow and was never related to death. THere has never been XP debt in wow.

EDIT: Actually that entire list seems like you're mixing up classic wow with early beta poo poo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like the real issue with classic wow is like:

- Itemization was nonsense
- Endgame content took too many people
- Character abilities were built for grouping that never took place, so some specs were insanely difficult to level.

Item #1 is a biggie and had massive ripples throughout the game, but it was also largely corrected by 1.12, and #2 had been pretty heavily corrected as well (bizarre endgame dungeon balancing collapsed to 5 people, 20-man raid progression was in place, etc.)

Jamcreek
Apr 18, 2018
Im into EVE Online at the moment.

Been playing way to many MMORPGs for the past 20 years.
I am kinda excited for Crowfall, and my hopes there is that it won´t be a horrible game.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I tried ESO earlier this year, and while a handful of aspects were fun for a bit, it got boring really quickly, and I also (re-)discovered how much I hate mobs that respawn after 5 seconds (so much so that you sometimes couldn't even open a chest).

I also tried Neverwinter, which...was boring. The overall idea for having more active combat wasn't bad, but it didn't do much for me in terms of actually playing it.

Both of these also have the incredibly annoying habit of severly restricting bag space unless you "buy this here item and/or subscribe", which I found particularly terrible in ESO when it came to crafting materials.

In some ways, I long for the days of Ragnarok Online in so far, as it was at least interactive (despite being super grindy) , since you could spam most things and had to keep moving constantly, gather mobs, protect/heal/buff etc., and a lot of interactivity kind of died with Buffs that last 50 minutes and with everything including potions being on a cooldown. And it's not like that game was anything but "collect 10000 wolf furs to get a snazzy wolf fur hat without any bonuses".

There has also been Path of Exile (does that count as MMO?), which I have started and given up on for the 5th time or so, because I find it bland and without charm.

Edit: Also, I played EVE a few years ago, but that felt like a job and I burnt out pretty hard. I never particularly enjoyed actually flying in the game and only really liked the meta-aspects. :sigh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Classic WoW was crushing tedium and managing other people being completely clueless way worse than you get nowadays, not difficulty, a ton of vanilla servers have people rock up to Molten Core etc. and just stomp it because of all the information we have now, higher average skill level, actual number of 40 people in the raid playing (A lot of vanilla raiding was finding out just how many of the 40 in your group were all but afk off to the side where people wouldn't be paying attention), knowing which classes are OP and which are doomed to be trash for the whole run and so on, which kind of poops on a lot of the idea of vanilla WoW being this hardcore in-depth thing, people were just much dumber and didn't have guides or tools to remedy things yet.

Either way I love WoW but the current expansion is crap for the most part. FFXIV is a lot of fun, but for me feels like it's in a lull where I want a new expansion already. ESO's good stuff and I come and go on it a lot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm looking forward to Classic WoW so much, because so many people have obviously forgotten what a garbage game it was. Vanilla WoW was about the people who made the tedium and the insanity and the complete lack of design sense worth suffering, and that thing is gonna be so dead so fast when people remember just how much those days sucked to actually play. RIP Hydraxian rep.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Alkydere posted:

Hunters started out as a melee class and didn't get ranged weapons until level 10 and had to basically give up one bag slot for ammo. Likewise with rogues not getting dual wield until 10. You didn't lose XP but you did get a big chunk of experience debt where you only earned 1/2 experience (that decreased as you rested/logged off so it was admittedly a good "go take a break" mechanic). Classic WoW is a very different beast than the streamlined game we now know. And I wonder how many people are gonna find they actually like what they find.

On the plus side it didn't have Warlords of Draenor and the launch of BfA dragging it down. On the other hand it didn't have kung-fu pandas yet...

I've read a couple of the dev journals the Blizzard crew have released though which have been kinda interesting with "Okay, knowing what we do now, what do we streamline?" focusing on some of the behind the scenes stuff like how the game's backend manages spells with multiple effects.

You've been listening to too many "uphill both ways" stories chum

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orv posted:

I'm looking forward to Classic WoW so much, because so many people have obviously forgotten what a garbage game it was. Vanilla WoW was about the people who made the tedium and the insanity and the complete lack of design sense worth suffering, and that thing is gonna be so dead so fast when people remember just how much those days sucked to actually play. RIP Hydraxian rep.

Yeah this is also my hot take on classic wow. Classic WoW is gonna be awful.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
They would have to come up with some very powerful incentives to even make me look at classic wow. I don't even like live, and no way do I want to play an even worse version of that.

EQ Time Locked Progression servers I can deal with. Horde side Onyxia keying, gently caress right off.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've been playing FF14 because it's casual and charming as hell. I got gay married to my boyfriend on it.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I liked MMOs (to the point it's how I wound up in the game industry for a while) but there's nothing really exciting me out there. I just want something I can chill out and play while bullshitting with other people. Warcraft never really excited me though I get why people play it. FFXIV was fun but the group I was playing with fell apart and :effort:.

EVE seems like it'd be fun to just roll a couple accounts and mine and do trade poo poo (I've played with goons off and on for years going back to Remedial ((lol)) starting the drat corp out of Empire space) in safe space but getting going in that game is such a huge commitment, even if I just rolled new accounts and my old ones are god knows where. And if it isn't dying it isn't going anywhere interesting.

The new ones either flame out in a month per goon requirement or don't look that interesting.

:effort:

The most fun I'm having is watching the ~~geniuses~~ like Garriott tank hilariously.

Also obviously I'm not a teenager with nothing to do anymore so there always feels like there's something better I could be doing than mashing buttons to make a number in a database change, especially since MMOs shut down at the drop of a hat, excepting the big ones I've already played.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like MMOs because i can zone out and watch shows while doing something with my hands but lately i've been too turned off by every single mmo community. everyone is either some twitch star, a dumbass memer, or a malicious oval office. i know that actual real people play these games and mostly never say anything but that just means that you're only ever exposed to the idiots

at this point when i want to play an MMO i usually look for some private server for a fifteen year old MMO because the server population is usually older dudes who know how to calm the gently caress down and if anyone does get too annoying they're usually shunned by everyone else

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

puberty worked me over posted:

No, still waiting for a game where you just do 5 man / 10 man cooperative scripted content constantly. I'd kill to be able to just form up a group of people and just do all of the dungeons/raids in WoW/Wildstar/LoTRO/etc. at the time the dungeon/raid was originally released. It pisses me off to no end staff painstakingly scripted these awesome cooperative online experiences just for the next expansion to completely steamroll the tuning of said content. In addition most people never get to do the content when it first comes out because of the insanely stupid time and knowledge investment required to do it.

This is the FFXIV roulette system. There are 8-man "raids" or whatever, usually they're just the bosses themselves. The content itself doesn't get rendered obsolete for a number of reasons: you get tokens for end-game poo poo if you do it at end-game level, but more likely than not you have other jobs that aren't at max level you should level up by doing the content. Then they have wondrous tails which is like a bingo card of sorts but for completing random content, like specific dungeons from specific sets, things like that. A lot of the dungeons/raids have a good amount ofexclusive glamours that give you incentive to do certain dungeons over and over.

And if you hate other players you can do a whole mess of dungeons with an AI party to skip the dungeon finder queues.

ESO is also a good pick for running dungeons, etc., because they have a whole lot of dungeons and the ESO system is built to have everything scale with the player so you'll be doing essentially 70% of the same poo poo at low level as you do at max/high level. Mostly I think you should do overworld questing, though, for fun and story. And if you really like to grind I think the upper limit is CP999 in ESO and, I think, nobody has managed to get there yet.

With MMOs I'm right there with you, all I want is to do dungeons essentially. GW1 is still very fun and with heroes/mercenaries/henchmen, every single bit of content/quest is essentially a dungeon. I'm playing ESO right now. I never gave it a fair shake and am having a lot of fun! The goon guild is still surprisingly pretty active if you need poo poo, wanna group up for junk, or have questions. Also the combat is way better than it should be for an MMO.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Frog Act posted:

What is warframes core progress thing like? I was kinda frustrated with it initially, it offered me a lot of random missions and opportunities to unlock a seemingly endless range of confusing things that I imagine would become clear later but was initially pretty offputting. I also didn't get to play with anyone else despite playing for a solid three or four hours, it felt very single player

Warframe player here. I've been on and off with the game for several years now but one thing to keep in mind, What do you want to do? sure it's open ended but it helps contextualize goals so you won't get lost. I highly recommend you do story missions as they're pretty good ways to feel less confused in the game.

Warframe is not for anyone, mind you. If you don't have a certain mindset, you might find yourself very burned out in the end.

Also, if your aiming to get a certain warframe, ask around for where to find parts for the one you picked. It's a long grind for some frames but it's kinda worth it unless that frame in question turns out to be poo poo. And you know it will it turns out to be poo poo.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Lineage 2 classic, because I hate myself

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bishop01 posted:

Lineage 2 classic, because I hate myself

:stare:

that still exists?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It has a new official server where if you spend $50 + the monthly fees every six months you get an extra 10% damage and xp. Lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bless is F2P now and I figured why not it's only 20GB and I hate myself, not like I'll play it for more than a couple days at best.

I think I've already extracted the most fun out of it I'm going to by making an awful catbeastthing.

E: Yeah nope not playing that.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 23, 2018

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

i like MMOs because i can zone out and watch shows while doing something with my hands but lately i've been too turned off by every single mmo community. everyone is either some twitch star, a dumbass memer, or a malicious oval office. i know that actual real people play these games and mostly never say anything but that just means that you're only ever exposed to the idiots

at this point when i want to play an MMO i usually look for some private server for a fifteen year old MMO because the server population is usually older dudes who know how to calm the gently caress down and if anyone does get too annoying they're usually shunned by everyone else

I am in the same exact boat, I recently tried SWTOR again and its just a shell of a game now with what I can only guess is a small player base and people still manage to be colossal jack wagons about everything or are spamming to watch there twitch channel or some other dumb poo poo. I feel like I finally hit the age where my "never gonna grow too old to play mmo's" attitude doesn't work anymore. I just can't enjoy a game anymore where its some contest to see who the biggest dipshit is.

My all time favorite MMO was SWG and I know some people hated then and now and forever, that wasn't my experience at all. I was a Texas player in a guild mainly of Australians and older players and people were just normal and we all had fun. You would log on say hi to people in chat and people would ask if you wanted to do anything or needed anything and then they left you the gently caress alone if you wanted to craft or herd sheep or whatever the gently caress. And I logged into SWG the first day greeted by guild recruiters asking me to join handing out newbie poo poo, now you have to give a photo id, written essay, job interview, and latest TPS reports, to possibly join leetkappatotallynotassholes.

Pretty sure I am just getting to the get off my lawn phase and I don't get most mmo players anymore.

Nyn
Oct 23, 2018
BO4 (Primarily Blackout), Albion, Eve, MS2 and Tarkov.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

frajaq posted:

:stare:

that still exists?

It is f2p now, too.

I am playing the wow, maplestory 2 and a bunch of other non mmo games

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Still power up Star Trek Online every now and then, blowing up some ships is always good fun.

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Mostly GW2 and ESO here, outside of a smattering of single-player games. Those two games are particularly easy to hop in and out of, being buy to play with no sub.

I used to play Mabinogi quite a while back, but the chill guild I was in for years disbanded. Also, Nexon fuckery keeps me away from their stuff, otherwise I'd try out Maple Story 2.

I did also play FFXIV for a while, but given the sub, I felt pressured to keep at it for the active time, which led to me burning out pretty quickly. That, and my surprising healer rage appeared, holy poo poo!

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I played through all the story content in GW2 earlier this year and had a great time but once that dried up I didn’t feel the draw to keep playing.

Maple Story 2 is fun when I’m drunk because I can just lean back with my controller and mash buttons.

I’m also raiding in wow a few hours a week. The latest expansion had a terrible start but I’m playing with some cool dudes and it keeps me logging in to shoot the poo poo.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Just thinking today that it’s pretty wild in 20+ years of MMOs nobody’s really come up with a better idea than raiding for endgame content or things to do. Like “look you have to join a poopsocker guild and spend weeks trying to get a slightly better piece of gear. That’s it. That’s what we got. What are you gonna do, PvP? :laffo:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
i play eq2 but basically only play it like a (somehow even shittier than EVE) EVE. i only ever log in to re-queue spell research and minion training. can't remember the last time i moved a character 100 feet from their spawn point, much less changed zones

edit: also i don't give money to daybreak games because seriously

Nyn
Oct 23, 2018

clone on the phone posted:

I played through all the story content in GW2 earlier this year and had a great time but once that dried up I didn’t feel the draw to keep playing.

Maple Story 2 is fun when I’m drunk because I can just lean back with my controller and mash buttons.

I’m also raiding in wow a few hours a week. The latest expansion had a terrible start but I’m playing with some cool dudes and it keeps me logging in to shoot the poo poo.

How is playing with a controller? Been thinking about giving it a try.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Nyn posted:

How is playing with a controller? Been thinking about giving it a try.

It's the ideal way to enjoy the game, imo. I purchased a cheap one with a cable and it was very worth it. I'm also gonna play Witcher with it, and other such games with simplistic gameplay

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
For the OP: a devoted player of XIV still.

I'm curious about some other games, but the problem is that there's just so much game out there in general now that it's hard to find physical time for it.

If Warframe somehow counts, I'll be playing that again when Fortuna drops since friends are interested.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Just thinking today that it’s pretty wild in 20+ years of MMOs nobody’s really come up with a better idea than raiding for endgame content or things to do. Like “look you have to join a poopsocker guild and spend weeks trying to get a slightly better piece of gear. That’s it. That’s what we got. What are you gonna do, PvP? :laffo:

The question is what could you do that isn't served by playing a better game? If you want dungeon delving in small parties you have every arpg ever. For pvp there are mobas/br/whatever. For a decent plot there are actual rpgs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah last time I played SWTOR they had all these story dungeons and raids worked into the plot but people got pissed if you actually wanted to read and wait to see what was going on and didn't just ESC right through everything as fast as possible, but lord would they bitch if that content wasn't there for them to ignore.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I have little tolerance these days for games feeling like chores. I have enough real chores now, though I had fewer back when I played MMOs more so maybe that's why I was ok with them. I'm honestly fine with pay to win poo poo now if it lets me skip grinds and keep enjoying the game (I get that developers need to make money somehow). I like taking long breaks and not feeling like I got behind the curve or wasted a monthly fee (however small, it's just an annoying feeling knowing you're paying for something you're not using), or having to unsub/resub.

There are so many really good non-MMO games and the thought of spending 100s of hours grinding in a treadmill theme park when I could have played dozens of other games in that time just doesn't appeal.

LOTRO and ESO have nice leisurely paces and I can play for an hour or two whenever the mood hits and not feel pressured, and I don't feel like they're insulting me for being an adult. If WoW would go buy-to-play I'd probably pick it up again. Same with FFXIV. Eve scratches a very specific, not often occurring itch so I'm glad it's free to play now. When you want Eve you want Eve. Warframe is fun but not an MMO, but I appreciate that you can ignore the grind and still do whatever you feel like doing, or grind if that's your thing. That game is a case study in player choice and in developers actually appreciating their audience.

And seconding the gym membership comment. Holy gently caress I wish I started lifting earlier. I would trade everything I've done in any MMO for more gains.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I said come in! posted:

Waiting for WoW Classic.

Same.

What I think will happen:
Classic WoW is launched and it is everything I remember. The server is packed with people that will eventually form the same type of community I remember 15 years ago. PvP is exciting and definitely balanced. Raids are chill factories with 40 people laughing and telling stories in the Vent channel. While all of this happens, a time portal opens and sends me back to being 18 years old again and everything is perfect.

What will actually happen:
It takes me 3 days to get to level 16 and I just say gently caress it after realizing my Warrior can't kill more than 1 mob at a time without having to sit down and eat.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i just cant wait for my prepped cold blooded max combo eviscerates to miss once more

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cardboard Fox posted:

Same.

What I think will happen:
Classic WoW is launched and it is everything I remember. The server is packed with people that will eventually form the same type of community I remember 15 years ago. PvP is exciting and definitely balanced. Raids are chill factories with 40 people laughing and telling stories in the Vent channel. While all of this happens, a time portal opens and sends me back to being 18 years old again and everything is perfect.

What will actually happen:
It takes me 3 days to get to level 16 and I just say gently caress it after realizing my Warrior can't kill more than 1 mob at a time without having to sit down and eat.

On the plus side those classic cooking recipes will become useful again when you can cook the 2 steaks you got after searching 5 zevrahs to find a single hoof between them in the Barrens.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
This is launching in 2 days: http://uooutlands.com/

Ive never played UO. Since i heard good things, been wanting to take it off my "havent tried that classic MMO" list. Though its not the classic maps and it has custom skills...

Will alternate between this and MS2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

there's actually 0 similarity between a UO shard and MS2 tho

I too missed the UO train back in the day, have made more than a few attempts to get hooked with it (even maxed a character on Europa official back in 2007), but I'll say it's kiiiinda meh. Seriously, game bad.

Just make sure you play in a humane server where macroing is allowed so you can make a decent character by exping afk and soak in the vintage vibe

On the other hand MS2 follows the current gaming fad for player empowerment, everything's easy and accessible and is just plain dumb fun.