Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hogge Wild posted:

orville is for the same people who like bing bang theory

let's be real, 75 year olds with dementia don't watch fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is my go to example episode when describing why I think The Orville is the modern Star Trek and my I think Seth MacFarlane understands Star Trek better than any other creatives that have had control of it since DS9 went off the air.

Star Trek has always been about ham fisted allegories for the current state of our world. They had episodes where people who were white/black hated black/white people and Kirk has to tell them that is stupid because they are the same. They had episodes where Riker tries to stand up for someone who has gender issues in a non-gendered society. DS9 constantly breaks down morality through the lens of different cultures. The shows breaks down real issues to basic simple concepts and force feeds them to you.

The Orville has an episode where they go to the Facebook planet and tell you that the court of public opinions is a bad why to come to judgement. That is about as Star Trek as it gets.

The fact that a lot of the third episode takes place in a courtroom and is just the characters debating is the most Star Trek thing and I love it. And since it's a modern show they don't have to hide behind euphemism or metaphor which actually strengthens both the commentary and the actual plotting, with Bortus' kid them being able to reference things like circumcision and transgenderism so they can explicitly clarify that it isn't a simple stand-in for that but you can still draw parallels to the same issues of consent and parental rights makes it stand up a lot better.

Also Bortus being genuinely moved and inspired by Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was great and I got a little choked up at the end when he put the plush toy of him in his kid's crib. It was just a really great episode of television all around.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hogge Wild posted:

orville bad

:wrong:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So this looks like a total Star Trek knock off. Did fox buy the rights or what?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

So this looks like a total Star Trek knock off. Did fox buy the rights or what?

Seth McFarlane loves Star Trek and since CBS decided to make a lovely edgy new show, he made his own Star Trek and it is good.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Peachfart posted:

Seth McFarlane loves Star Trek and since CBS decided to make a lovely edgy new show, he made his own Star Trek and it is good.

The later doesn’t appear to be true. But ok. Have you seen the masked singer? It’s great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you don't like the orville, try watching discovery and then the orville looks a lot better by comparison.

j/k don't watch discovery it's terrible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Discovery sucks but I did a 180 when I found out they mentioned elon musk because they were hoping for free poo poo

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009
The new episode was a little too much space drama but I still enjoyed it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
save the space drama for your space mama!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

orville is for the same people who like bing bang theory

I like the Orville and I hated the big bang theory. The Orville actually makes jokes.

It really is somehow a Star trek parody that is now more trek than what is actually airing. I was reeeallly burned out on Seth MacFarlane going in, too, so it was a hard sell for me. But it was good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How are you gonna mention Elon Musk between the wright brothers and zephram cochrane just lmfao

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's a cheap low budget sci-fi show with no bells or whistles but a lot of Family Guy fart jokes. It would have been OK in the 90s, but in the golden age of television it's kinda meh.

On the other hand, there is not much else in the sci-fi/exploration genre going on so what are you gonna do, watch something else lol? The new star treks is trying to do more of a high concept drama stuff with decades long plot arcs& moody lighting. it tries to scratch a different itch

e:
Lol, my phone autocapitalized Family Guy

(this post was brought to you by Carl's Jr, eat Carl's Jr.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Orville is good, thanks for the reminder op

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

the golden age of television

:crossarms:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I knew I was going to like the show when the first episode ended with them rapidly growing a redwood tree through an enemy ship. It’s just got a sense of fun that Star Trek doesn’t.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

They backed off on the fart jokes when people complained

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i mind the fart jokes a lot less than i do all the contemporary pop culture references.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i mind the fart jokes a lot less than i do all the contemporary pop culture references.

Those bugged me a lot at first, but the alternatives to humanizing the crew and helping make them more relate-able are either TNG where it's the 25th century but everyone still reveres the same classical/opera/Shakespeare stuff they do now, or Discovery where they just go "what would parties be like IN THE FUTURE" and you get stuff like this:

Personally I prefer jokes about Bortus singing My Heart Will Go On at karaoke

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The show works better when it kind of a office comedy in space with aliens. Like when they are dicking around before work talking about their various culture/races and it turns into a game of "Can Bortus eat it"

https://youtu.be/l_hx0xml-kU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Julius CSAR posted:

The captain actually has a little model of the Wright Flyer on his desk :kimchi:

It reminds me of the one good part of Star Trek Into Darkness where it shows Robocop's collection of models of powered flight thru space-flight all the way through near future and far future. Really cool.

Slight derail but the final model in that lineup is the Vengeance, which is easy to miss on the first watch

Julius CSAR posted:

Like, the XO downing a huge glass of water in one chug when she's hungover is a nice touch. The humans in Star Trek shows are like aliens because they don't ever seem like real people.

They've also used the replicator to make edibles on The Orville which is viewed as completely socially acceptable when off-duty

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 31, 2018

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Favorite gags of season 1:

- robot guy cutting off the dude's leg in his sleep
- can bortus eat it?
- captain guy playing hot potato with bortus and getting his hand stabbed
- jello guy hitting on the doctor
- strong woman failing to get a boyfriend
- everyone loves the blue guy
- "oh and btw im a space man! your world SUCKS"

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Yeah, unless I missed it while phone posting how are we talking funny out-of-context Orville scenes and you leave out the latchcomb, bunch of rank amateurs up in here

https://youtu.be/5c7FL9QV1bs

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Watching Seinfeld on the viewscreen while travelling at warp speed is a great gag

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I like The Orville because it's an entertaining sci-fi show with funny characters and interesting plot-lines. It's nice to have something that's light and cheerful rather than being grim and serious all the time.

Feels kind of rare to have a show that has an overall very positive outlook on the world and plot lines that rely on the overall goal of doing good things.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah, unless I missed it while phone posting how are we talking funny out-of-context Orville scenes and you leave out the latchcomb, bunch of rank amateurs up in here

https://youtu.be/5c7FL9QV1bs

Posted on the first page.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
oops

slightly more useful contribution: I like when MacFarlane's character isn't played as a completely over-competent self-insert, but I feel like sometimes Mercer's been a blank slate compared to the personalities of the rest of the crew. Hopefully they lean a little harder on the whole concept of "good captain, but we've got better" as the season goes on.

Also Penny Johnson Jerald status: still would

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
"We just got the Damage Report: Decks 6 through 9 took light damage, and the Damage Report guy spilled soy sauce on his shirt."

"Really? He put that in a Damage Report? ... Man we need to get better people..."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

a show that has an overall very positive outlook on the world and plot lines that rely on the overall goal of doing good things.

A big reason why I liked Star Trek in the first place

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If you took the jokes out and changed the character names/appropriate tech terms, the Orville scripts would read essentially exactly like unused TNG scripts.

Also in an interview McFarlane talks about how Fox marketed the show as a hard comedy rather than unlicensed Star Trek with modernized humor, and how S2 is going to lean more into the sci-fi and less into the jokes.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Like that would be cool if he did that I just don't want him to cut out the fun little stuff in between when everyone is hanging out with each other and messing around.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Bortus eating contest and leg prank are legit funny as gently caress.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it is a love story to star trek. the jokes don't land 100% of the time and even when they do they're not that great but it's star trek light and that is good imo.

i think it would be better though if mcfarland was just a random fuckup red shirt on the crew, and the captain was actually a super serious star fleet captain. i dont like him as the captain.

also gently caress discovery it's garbage.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Love Stole the Day posted:

Favorite gags of season 1:

- robot guy cutting off the dude's leg in his sleep
- can bortus eat it?
- captain guy playing hot potato with bortus and getting his hand stabbed
- jello guy hitting on the doctor
- strong woman failing to get a boyfriend
- everyone loves the blue guy
- "oh and btw im a space man! your world SUCKS"

https://i.imgur.com/CNVIrw6.mp4
The game is never to be spoken of again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

It's a cheap low budget sci-fi show with no bells or whistles but a lot of Family Guy fart jokes. It would have been OK in the 90s, but in the golden age of television it's kinda meh.

same ~~*~golden age of television~*~~ where fuckin' Westworld derailed in the second season harder than a steam engine slamming into a mountain

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also, fuckin' The Last Ship got made for five seasons, in the midst of the most glorious years television hath ever wrought

like, don't get me wrong, it's a guilty pleasure of mine, but it's cheesier than the goddamn space cheese that almost brought down starship Voyager

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in conclusion, get bent

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The Orville is pleasant, light hearted and full of likeable characters, it's just a good low stakes sci fi show that sometimes goes after big concepts and I'm happy there's more of it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
okay that episode was not very good and downright offensivewomen just need to love a dope however the burn about the tea was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

same ~~*~golden age of television~*~~ where fuckin' Westworld derailed in the second season harder than a steam engine slamming into a mountain

Golden age doesn't mean that nobody put anything bad on TV. There will always be bad stuff on TV.

In the last 2-3 years alone you had True Detective S1, Leftovers, Stranger Things, Westworld S1, Expanse, Better Call Saul, etc. And even the bad stuff is miles ahead of 90s TV in terms of production values/writing/acting so a mediocre actor like Seth McFarland sticks out and bad writing sticks out and cheap costumes stick out. The one thing that keeps Orville from being cancelled is that it is literally the only game in town and nerds being extremely salty and defiant about executives trying to turn the new treks into a burlesque piece