Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Replies were slightly weighted towards 2: not looking for a fight, but not looking away from it either.

"I'd rather face down a Morani than a cavern collapse or a rock-craw any day. Let's take the easier route, and if I see any of those bastards I'll just introduce them to my friend rock."

"I hope you are not allowing your desire for vengeance cloud your judgment," says Isentch, gurgling with concern.

"Why do you care?" you ask. "I agreed to help you, whether I have my own vendetta or not is wholly immaterial to that end."

"If you get us killed when we could have been a bit more subtle-"

"-then you can say 'I told you so' to my corpse. Besides, don't you lot want revenge as well?"

Szyrkle clicks and bubbles with rage. "I do! The first I see a Morani, I will have Ysotho strangle them to death!"

"Ysotho's coming with us?" you ask, feeling a bit protective of your neck.

"Of course!" says Isentch. "You think we would go out there without an Enforcer?"

"I literally don't know." you answer. "I know nothing of the Risthi."

"Well, you're learning."

"Do you have any weapons?" you ask.

"Only Enforcers have weapons." replies Isentch, thinking; "But I suppose there's nothing wrong with you having a backup."

"I have something I think you'll like." says Szyrkle. He disappears into a side-cavern for a moment. When he comes back, he's carrying an actual Martyrs-be-praised sword.

"A phaseblade." explains Szyrkle, burbling admiration. "This weapon phases through a number of pocket realities, rendering it nearly unblockable by most normal armors or parrying weapons. It has been a long time since anyone has had to wield it--it is a special weapon, for the Guardian of the Soul-Father."

"Then I cannot accept it!" you protest.

"You misunderstand; we give you the weapon of the Guardian of the Soul-Father, because we hope you will take up this mantle. By helping us on our quest, you've shown that you are willing to put the needs of our people above even your own. That is courage we had never dreamed we would encounter in this broken world." says Isentch.

You take up the fluctuating phaseblade gratefully.

"Let us be off." Your party of four moves through the narrowing main cavern, through a number of tight, twisting passages in the stone.

After several minutes of walking, you abruptly come up against a cut-rock wall.

"This isn't right." gurgles Isentch, frustrated. "The Morani have altered the passages."

"Why would they do that?" you ask.

"They must have needed to build something deep within the stone..." says Szyrkle. He's touching the cut rock wall, talking mostly to himself. "They must have figured a natural stone passage was a perfect place to begin cutting. I'm hoping they remain unaware of our Cave."

"What could they possibly be hiding in a cliff?" you wonder aloud. "I don't like it."

"Regardless, we must carry on. Let's see if the tunnels come back further along."

You see several tunnel-mouths blocked up with chunks of stone. Finally, there's one passage that is unblocked, leading to a blind turn. You also notice, nearly invisible if you weren't actively looking, a narrow and steep cut-stone descending staircase starting a few spans from where you stand.

"Any ideas?" you ask.

"Er, not so much." replies Isentch. Down the stairs? We're trying to get down, after all."

"Are there usually stairs?"

"No, but there's not usually any of this. The Morani have been busy since our last scouting excursion."

1.) Take the stairway.
2.) Take the passageway.
3.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters

Elsewhere in the Beaten Lands
[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Of course there's stairs in their house.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Szyrkle, do you know if the phaseblade can cut through rock? Isentch, which way would you have gone if the passages were unblocked?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

HBar posted:

Szyrkle, do you know if the phaseblade can cut through rock? Isentch, which way would you have gone if the passages were unblocked?

This is the most sensible, but if it's inconclusive, then

Outrail posted:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Outrail posted:

ya gotta

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HBar posted:

"Let me give you a primer on how to use the phaseblade," says Szyrkle. "It's not an intuitive weapon to use at first, but once you sense its power you'll be hooked."

They motion to the wall. "So, you ask if the phaseblade can cut stone? Try it."

You raise the blade and strike the wall with it. The blade buries itself into the wall, then stops hard. Then it slips through easily again, only to stick once more. Finally, you're able to complete your swing, pulling the blade out of the wall.

There's not a mark on it.

"What the Squiv just even happened?" you ask, violently confused.

"Allow me to explain." says Szyrkle. "This blade is not special, outside of its phasing properties. It cannot cut anything that a normal blade cannot cut."

"So what makes it-"

Szyrkle interrupts you: "Cut Ysotho's arm."

"What?!" you shout, shocked. "I don't wanna do that!"

"It's okay, they're an Enforcer. They'll just heal it up. Go on, hit it with your sword."

You stare at the Enforcer's extended arm, clad in pitted metal armor.

You raise the phaseblade above your head, and bring it down with a CLANG! against the armor. A millisecond later, it slips through the armor as if it weren't there, and slices through Ysotho's flesh like a block of cold cream cheese. It hangs for a moment on the gauntlet as it exits the limb, then comes free.

Everyone stares at Ysotho's arm. After a second, thick purple blood trickles out of the gauntlet to splatter on the floor. The armor remains unscathed.

"Wow." You say, surprised. "And he's fine, right?"

"Assuredly. It's already stopped bleeding; they'll be fine in a mentok." A pause. "Also, they're not a 'he'."

"I'm sorry." you reply, bewildered. Everything is far too weird right now. It's giving you a bit of a headache.

Although everything gives you a headache now. You rub the back of your neck, feeling the phantom pain of the Spinelock.

You forcibly shake your head clear of the painful, flickering images. Your skull throbs with pain.

"As you can see," Szyrkle begins to explain, "the blade is stopped in our own reality by things such as armor, stone, olk inamam. But herein lies the awesome power of the blade: it phases through a loop of pocket realities, outside of this one, allowing it to pass through matter in this reality. When it returns to phase with our own reality... well, it resumes its cut, as you saw."

"So no good for a stone wall." you say.

"Not really."

"But you could, say, stab someone BEHIND a stone wall?"

Szyrkle thinks. "Yes! Seems reasonable!" they reply excitedly. "So long as that wall is less than the length of the blade, about four and a half whecks."

"Pardon," says Isench, "but if this demonstration is about wrapped up, I would like to not remain here any longer than we must. Suppose we are discovered?"

You tighten your grip on the phaseblade, feeling every joint the Morani had displaced, every broken bone poorly-set. Yes, suppose one of them were to discover me now?

"Let's take the stairs." you suggest, forcing yourself to focus.

"It is the route most approximating the original. That's probably a valid move." says Isench.

You progress single-file down the steep, narrow stairway.

TO BE CONTINUED tomorrow, same freak show, same freak channel.

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected 1: take the stairs.

As you go down the stairs, you think you hear footsteps echo against the stone.

You hold up a hand to stop; Isentch and Szyrkle stop on a dime, while the big dumb Enforcer in front of you continues down the stairs.

"Stop!" you whisper forcefully. He keeps going. "STOP!" you whisper a bit louder. You don't know if the big lunk can't hear you or doesn't care, but it's stomping down the stairs like nobody said anything.

Isentch shouts "Ysotho, stop!" The Enforcer stops. You give Isentch a searing glare.

"What?" they say, "I thought you wanted them to stop?"

"Because I heard someone coming!" you hiss.

"Is someone up there?" you hear, being shouted from below.

Excellent work, everyone. You ready your phaseblade.

You hear the sound of guardsmen's boots stomping up the stairs.

Before you know it, there's a Morani guardsman dangling above the stairs, Ysotho's cord tight around his throat.

"AGK! AGK! AGKagkAGKaggkk! HhhhhggggggggK!" says the guard, scraping at his throat with his nails. You reach around Ysotho and slide your sword into the guard's gut, slicing upwards. He goes quiet, and Ysotho flings his lifeless body down the steps.

"What the SQUIV?" comes as a shout from below.

Ysotho stomps down the stairs, then staggers backwards as a point-blank gunshot hits them in the chest. You back up to avoid getting squashed by the falling Enforcer, then springboard off their cuirass, flinging yourself at the guard.

You ride the incessantly screaming guardsman down the steep stairs like a sled, holding on for dear life. You come to a rough stop at a landing at a hairpin turn, where you disembark and dispatch the impromptu ride.

Someone's running down the stairs, you can hear them. You take off as best you can down the stairs, feeling pain from every bit of scar tissue on your abused body.

You reach yet another turn, but here a path continues at level, branching off from the descending stairs. "drat it!" you hiss, and listen closely to the retreating footsteps, trying to tell which direction they're coming from. You think they're coming from the branching corridor, but it's very difficult to be sure with the echoes bouncing everywhere.

Ysotho arrives at the fork, seeming none the worse for wear, followed by Isentch and Szyrkle who are making panting sounds but not from their mouths.

"Did you kill everyone?" asks Szyrkle, with a hint of glee.

"No, there was one more who ran off. I expect he's planning to raise the alarm. But I can't tell which way he went!" You angrily swing your phaseblade through a wall. "It sounded like the corridor, maybe?"

They all listen. "I think you're correct," says Isentch.

"No, I'm getting stair footfalls, for sure." says Szyrkle.

"You've got to be kidding me." you grumble.

1.) Continue down the stairs.
2.) Try the corridor.
3.) Let him go! Just run down the stairs and get out of here!
4.) Write in:

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stairs :goleft:
:goonsay:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 10, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

...I really should have anticipated this...

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. There might be more than one person nearby, but either way we should still take the stairs to get out of here and if the guy fled this way we can deal with him on the way out.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Stairs 1 or Stairs 3?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

For my vote, I trust Sizzle''s ears. They're literal tunnel people, this is their jam

So 1: nobody gets out alive

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected 1: Take the stairs.

"Let's try the stairs." you decide; there's no time for any more indecision.

You take off down the stairs, not bothering to wait for the ponderously slow Ysotho.

Your suspicions are confirmed as you catch the swish of a cloak around a bend. You redouble your pace, only to suddenly stumble on level ground. You feel a swift kick to the gut and hit the ground, rolling.

"Enough of this game of chase!" growls the man you were--until this moment--pursuing. Now he stands astride you, a short blade at the ready. "You may choose death or the dungeon, knave!"

He blinks and stares at you. "You were a Cariti, weren't you?"

Were? "I AM a Cariti!" you bellow, and strike at him with the phaseblade. Instinctively, he raises his blade to parry, and the weapons strike with the ring of metal.

After a second, your blade passes through his, and he stumbles back in alarm.

"What the Squiv?!?" he shouts, and takes off running again.

By the looks of him, he's no ordinary guard. He has the ostentatiously ornamental armor of a nobleman, all trimmed with furs and bedecked with medallions. His cloak, too, is luxuriously napped, heavy and dragging against the ground. He's slow, and he's afraid. You can't wait to see the fear on his face as you cut a circle around his heart through that gaudy cuirass.

Your scarred legs are on fire with exertion. The Morani nobleman takes turns at a stumble, too agitated for caution. You know it's just a matter of time before you're upon him.

Suddenly the fleeing Morani stops short, as if he has an idea. He rushes towards you and flèches aggressively with his blade. You swing your phaseblade to parry the attack, and it passes right through. Shocked, you step to the side to dodge the blade.

"There seems to be a hole in your weapon." grins the Morani.

"Congratulations, you have found its one weakness!" you spit, between gritted teeth.

"I am a master swordsman, Cariti. Can you say the same of yourself? Can you dodge me forever?"

"I've held a blade, Morani! And you'll have to dodge me just as adroitly!"

For this battle, you have a strike, and a counter, as does the Morani.

Your Strike: Slice [Heads] or Jab [Tails]
Morani Counter: Dodge [Heads] or Retreat [Tails]

Morani Strike: Slice [Heads] or Jab [Tails]
Your Counter: Dodge [Heads] or Retreat [Tails]

If the counter matches the strike, the strike is avoided. If they do not match, the strike hits.

CHOOSE:

YOUR STRIKE: [HEADS] or [TAILS]
YOUR COUNTER: [HEADS] or [TAILS]

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Where are Szyrkle and Isentch in all of this? They might not be great fighters but they could at least, like, throw rocks or something. I bet they don't cover any defenses against that in Morani fencing classes.

e: Anyway I flipped an actual coin for our strike, it's Tails. Stick him with the pointy end. And for the counter we should also go with Tails, even if the retreat doesn't work well it still brings us back a little closer to Ysotho and the rest.

HBar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 13, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

HBar posted:

Where are Szyrkle and Isentch in all of this? They might not be great fighters but they could at least, like, throw rocks or something. I bet they don't cover any defenses against that in Morani fencing classes.

e: Anyway I flipped an actual coin for our strike, it's Tails. Stick him with the pointy end. And for the counter we should also go with Tails, even if the retreat doesn't work well it still brings us back a little closer to Ysotho and the rest.

Cool, let's go with this

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I almost forgot the most important part, we gotta accompany each strike and counter with a witty line or repartee. "So you trained at the Morani academy? How appropriate, you fight like a moron." Or if it's pronounced Moraine-y: "How appropriate, you move like a glacier." Or if it's pronounced More-Annie: "How appropriate, you fight like an Annie. I mean all the Annies I've known seemed like they wouldn't be very good at this, it's certainly possible that there could be talented swordfighters named Annie but that's not the comparison I'm making right now!"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

HBar posted:

Yeah I'll back this too, including the insult fighting.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The two of you prowl around each other in a circle, blades at the ready.

"So, I can't block you, and you can't block me." you say. "So it all comes down to a contest of dodges."

The Morani swings his blade about artfully, filling your vision with a blur of shiny metal. "Not a contest at all."

There's something familiar about that man's face. You've seen it leering through the observation window of a grotesque Morani lab, getting off on the horrific effects of his Constructor-make mekanisms. You've seen him clap and smile when you screamed some bit of information he'd sought, or even when you just screamed in a way he particularly enjoyed.

Baron Harianus d'Morani. A man who loved to assemble cold mekanisms as much as he liked to rive warm flesh; the kind of man that every mother fears her son might become, as she finds yet another werxel he'd tormented to death.

"You." you say, barely above a whisper.

"Have we met before?" grins the vile Baron, showing teeth like punched corn. "I find it difficult to tell, you're quite severely scarred. Whoever did that to you?"

You feel the birth of an animal scream inside your gut as you launch yourself--a vengeful missile with phaseblade warhead--over a boulder and at the Morani Baron, stabbing hard at his chest.

YOUR STRIKE: JAB [TAILS]
MORANI COUNTER: Counter (Heads = 1, Tails = 2): 1d2 2 RETREAT [TAILS]

He stumbles backwards, just avoiding your blade.

You smirk as you land, catlike. "So, you trained at the Morani Academy, eh? How appropriate; you fight like a moron."

"You try to insult me with my name? A name that means power? A name that means death and subjugation of all enemies?!?" laughs the Baron.

"You're right, of course; I should have stuck with Hairy Anus."

He whips his blade at your face.

MORANI STRIKE: Strike (Heads = 1, Tails = 2): 1d2 1 SLICE [HEADS]
YOUR COUNTER: RETREAT [TAILS]

You make a mistake: you instinctively pull back. You feel like you've been slapped across the face, and a hot sear of pain crosses your vision. Your hand flies to your face, and you feel blood pouring out between your fingers.

"You should really keep an eye out for moves like that!" roars Harianus, pleased with himself.

"I see your point, but my friend here is a little bit more blunt about things." you say, through a cloud of agony. Your wit is the only thing you have left, and it's not much either.

Ysotho comes thundering from behind you, and blasts the Baron across the face with the cudgel end of their weapon. He goes flying, a couple of teeth arcing out of his mouth like tossed dice. He tumbles rudely, and ends up groaning across a boulder for a moment.

You run at him, phaseblade raised, blood streaming down your face, and he scrambles to his feet to run.

"Stop him!" you shout, and Ysotho runs after him. You can scarcely focus, the running is causing your heart to pound and blood to pour out of your forehead and eye, blinding you. You have to stop, and you kneel down on the ground moaning and cursing the Morani.

Isentch and Szyrkle finally arrive, their tiny little legs pumping furiously and their tiny alien shoes slapping against the floor like a toddler's.

"Guardian, are you struck?" cries out Szyrkle. "Alas, he has been blinded!"

"No," you groan, "he's only got my one eye, there's just blood in the other. I've definitely lost this eye though! Vuldon and the Martyrs it hurts, my cursed luck!"

"There's a chance Ysotho's blood might help." says Isentch. "The Enforcers have special healing substances in their blood."

"He's gone up ahead" you gesture. drat it. This hurts.

Ysotho comes back, looking a bit sheepish.

"Ysotho!" cries out Szyrkle. "Did you not capture him?" Ysotho hangs their head and lets out a long, low burble.

"Idiot!" says Isench. "The Enforcer claims he simply vanished into a wall. Very likely, Ysotho!"

"Possibly some phasing trick." replies Szyrkle.

"We have to find him!" you say in the tone of voice that suggests you'd rather be screaming in pain.

"You are in no condition to go looking for him. Shall we try the blood?" asks Isentch.

1.) Fine, try the damned blood.
2.) No! Don't put any weird alien blood in my eyes! Let's just clean and patch it up!
3.) I'm fine! Leave it be, let's just get going! I want to kill that prick!

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 15, 2019

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. We need something that's going to work fast. What's the worst that could happen?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

3, with any luck we'll get a sweet eyepath out of this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
1 Do it, maybe we'll get take on some of its other powers like being a useless lumbering tool, ya dumb lunk.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
1) give us the blood

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Blood for the blood... eye.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You have selected 1: Here's blood in your eye!

"Fine! Try the damned blood!"

"Cut your hand, Ysotho!" demands Isentch.

Ysotho slides their hand along a blade of their weapon, and thick purplish blood trickles down their palm.

"Please reveal your wounded eye." requests Isentch.

Your palm steadfastly refuses to pull away.

"Please... reveal your wounded eye." repeats Isentch.

"I'm, uh, having trouble. I really don't want to." you say.

"The Enforcer is healing quickly, move your hand so we can get some blood on there!" gurgles Isentch, prying at your hand.

"No! Stop! I'll do it! Just give me a second!" you scream. Your hand shakes as you slowly pull it away from your eye.

"Grab his hands!" says Isentch. The two Risthi hold your hands tightly as you thrash.

"Nonono I've changed my mind, don't put blood in my eye!!" you shout, supremely grossed out as viscous purple blood plops onto your wounded eye.

The pain from the wound goes away, or rather it drifts to the back of your mind.

Replacing the pain is a strange sense of peace.

Take heed, for I have only the briefest moment to tell you this.

Hello? Who are you?

There are dangers far greater than mere Morani, greater even than the Mighty Builders. They seek to enter, to consume and digest the Whole from within.

"But what can we do about it?"

Wait a moment. That wasn't your voice. What was this?

There is a weapon... or rather, a means to make a weapon of the multiverse itself. It is hidden, by Chraetor God-of-War, who fears the Mighty Builders gaining control of it.

"I fear this quest, Wise One. We of the Risthi are dwellers in peace; only our Enforcers know battle, but they are too ignorant to know the stresses of killing, as is necessary."

You are right to fear, cave-child-"

A tiny, moist hand slaps you across the face. You come to, angrily looking for the wet baby that's attacking you, and find Szyrkle.

"Good morning, Dervis." says the little Risthi weirdo, a bubbly coo in his voice.

"I think I may have seen a bit of what the Soul-Father imparted to me." you say, mildly unsure if you're giving too much credit to this alien-blood-trip-vision you may have just had.

"What was it?"

"Some sort of wise man telling one of your Risthi people about a danger greater than the... 'Mighty Builders'? Apparently they're trying to eat the 'Whole' from within. I don't know what either of those things are."

"Ah, your terminology may differ between our universes." says Isentch. "You have doubtless encountered the beings who build the giant structures, the ones that blight an area and twist the reality?"

"Of course, the Constructors. They got to you too, huh?"

"I doubt there's a reality in the Whole where they don't have their dendrals." says Szyrkle, angrily. "Accursed things. They've turned Soul-Father against Soul-Father amid my people; The Great Peace has been shattered, and we have lost countless caves to their Mighty Buildings. Woe!" they gurgle with distress.

"Well, there's not enough context yet to do anything with the information, yet. I guess that's what the Soul-Father meant by that."

"Threading is very complex," says Isentch. "It's not uncommon for a strand to remain inaccessible until events give it a bit of a 'tug' so to speak."

Suddenly, you remember why you had the vision in the first place. "Oh, how's my eye? I can't feel anything..." you go to reach up and Isentch stops your hand.

"I wouldn't recommend touching or, um, looking at that for a while. It's not..." they search for the word for too long, "...ready."

"But it's healing, right?"

Isentch and Szyrkle exchange looks. "Certainly." replies Isentch.

You feel as though you see a ghostly image. You close your undamaged eye, and it becomes a little clearer.

"What is that?" you say aloud.

"What is what?" says Szyrkle, looking where you're looking, alarmed.

"Some sort of plinth-like... plinth." you say. "I can only barely see it, but when I close my good eye it's clearer."

Isentch looks kind of worried. "You're, er, 'seeing' a lot of things."

"I'm not crazy if that's what you're implying." you say. You get up and look around the plinthy thing, but it's so faint and you can't really focus on it, it just appears to be the same blurry, colorless object at different angles. "Okay, well, I guess there's nothing I can do with a plinth I can't touch."

"Indeed. Shall we continue on our way to the Broken City, or..?" asks Isentch.

"No! I'm going to hunt down this bastard and slay him!" you shout.

Isentch sighs.

"Take me to this wall you say the Morani disappeared through. I've got a suspicion."

Ysotho leads you down a short jaunt of stone tunnel, and stands you in front of what seems like an ordinary bit of rock wall. You reach out and touch it-

-and it feels like a wooden door. "Ysotho." you say, softly. "Did you bother to check the 'wall' here at all, or did you just take it on faith the guy disappeared?"

Ysotho gurgles sadly, and you sigh with impatience. "Okay, it's alright. Just try a little more investigation first."

You feel a round, smooth device latched onto the door, and it pops off into your hand. The rock-wall illusion disappears.

"Some sort of illusion projector."

Would you like to take this item? Y/N

You open the door and find a sort of storage area cut into the stone.

There's all sorts of rock cutting instruments, items for marking and surveying and chiseling and drilling and funneling explosives.

One antique- and ornamental-looking chest sitting in the corner stands out to you.

The latch is unlocked, and if you're not mistaken, there's fresh-looking fingerprints in the dust around the edge of the lid.

Curious, you open the chest. Inside, you see a strange blue... gemstone? You're not sure precisely what it is, but it seems to have an inner light of its own.

Would you like to take this item? Y/N

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 17, 2019

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Take it! You could say it really... speaks to me.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Take everything, leave them nothing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

To clarify the vote, you may take the illusion projector, the "gemstone", both, or neither.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Take the projector too, why wouldn't we? Well I guess the Morani guy might be the kind of sneaky sadistic bastard to put tracking devices in all the cool loot he left behind but I really want the projector anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
MAGPIE

Just assume that's my vote everytime a vote starts with 'Would you like to take...'

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Outrail posted:

MAGPIE

Just assume that's my vote everytime a vote starts with 'Would you like to take...'

Preference noted. :D

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Take the projector, leave the gemstone.

It's been recently put there, probably by the dude who knew we were following him. I reckon it's a tracking device or some uranium type thing that'll make us poo poo blood if we stick it in our pocket for too long.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brawnfire posted:

Preference noted. :D

Except when it's a trap. Obviously.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
But if it's a tracker, that means they have to come get us at some point

And then they will be in sword range.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Pustulio posted:

Take everything, leave them nothing

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You've opted to take all the things.

You reach out to take the blue gemstone from the chest. As soon as your fingers wrap around it, you feel energy flow through your body. Hastily, you release it.

When you look up, you're no longer in the storage area. You're in some other room, a study, with windows looking out on a grassy field and a copse of saplings.

"...where the Squiv am I?" you mutter to yourself. Obviously, the gemstone must have been some sort of teleportation device. To test it out, you grasp the stone again.

You reappear in the storage room.

"Oh, thank the Soul-Father! We thought that thing had vaporized you!" cries out Isentch.

"Thankfully, no. It just teleported me to another location, some kind of study. It must be how he escaped; I'm going to go take another look around." You grasp the stone again, and teleport through.

Moments later, the Risthi join you in the study.

"Oh! It doesn't come with me?" you ask, surprised.

"What doesn't come with you?" asks Szyrkle, confused.

"The stone, I thought-"

Isentch breaks in. "There are obviously two stones, one in each location. They must serve as terminals of a teleportation link."

"So the Baron can run off and vanish to his safe little haven." you grumble.

You rifle throught the desk. There are many business-related papers and parchments, covered with glyphs from many languages. Some seem to be business correspondance, others regarding concepts for mekanisms and results of experiments. Others are more threatening, extorting sums of money and ransoms from various parties, usually with extremely explicit accounts of what had already happened to their loved ones, and what would undoubtedly befall them if they failed to meet their sudden arrears.

You recognize more than a few of the names. Angrily, you tear up the letters.

You're disappointed to find nothing that would seem to help in the takedown of the Morani Baron, or the Morani clan as a whole, which is your preference.

There is one object in the desk you cannot identify: a heavy sphere of a cold, smooth material. Though white when hefted in the hand, when you place it upon the desk it does not roll, but stays in place while glyphs drift to the surface. They're no sort of symbol you recognize; nonetheless, you feel compelled to keep the object.

There's nothing but pens and ink besides that. You're about to check for secret compartments or clasps when suddenly, you hear a scream, and look up to see a surprised-looking Ysotho holding open the door. "Vuldon, Ysotho, have a little discretion!" you hiss. You decide to go out the door, and see who is on the other side that Ysotho terrified.

A woman stands pressed against a far wall, clutching a baby tightly to her.

"Who are yeh? What're yeh doing in the Baron's study?" she demands, in a quavering voice.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I'm just here to speak with the Baron." you say.

"Yeh've get yehr swoord out." she whimpers. "Yeh doon't look like yeh're here t'talk."

You sheathe the phaseblade. "Who are you?"

"I'm... the Baron's hoosekeeper." she lies.

You gesture widely at the small urban home you are currently inside. "The Baron Harianus d'Morani lives at the Citadel, not a house with what looks like-" you peer about at the details of the home, the braid-patterned trim and the plaster pressed with rushes. "-urban Scuumi architecture. Yes, we're in Scuumi, aren't we?"

The woman looks frightened. "Please, just go."

You look about, and see the slightest of stone-dust footprints picked out in the sunlight streaming in the window. You check your own ragged shoes to be certain; yep, nothing alike.

"The Baron, is he still here? Or did he leave, go into town to hide?"

"I swear, noobody's been oot of that office but yeh and that moonster!" she nearly cries.

"For Dan's sake, would you back off a bit, Ysotho? You're terrifying her." you return to the woman. "Now, be honest; did the Baron come through here, and if so, did he leave the house?"

She shakes her head, tears streaming down her face.

1.) Believe her, and head back to the caves to search.
2.) Threaten her to get the truth.
3.) Threaten her baby to get the truth.
4.) Ask what her situation is and if you can help; perhaps she'll be honest with you.
5.) Write in: __________________

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

If she doesn't become helpful search room by room including the attic, with our sword out. Watch for her body language for signs we might be getting close to his hiding place

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

simplefish posted:

If she doesn't become helpful search room by room including the attic, with our sword out. Watch for her body language for signs we might be getting close to his hiding place
This, but first try to follow the footprints if possible. If he's not in the house, we should reconsider how far we want to chase this guy when we're lightly armed in unknown and potentially hostile territory. It's looking less and less likely that he's going to raise an alarm right away, and we can get our revenge with the information disc instead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

simplefish posted:

HBar posted:

This, but first try to follow the footprints if possible. If he's not in the house, we should reconsider how far we want to chase this guy when we're lightly armed in unknown and potentially hostile territory. It's looking less and less likely that he's going to raise an alarm right away, and we can get our revenge with the information disc instead.

"Who are you? I promise you, I won't hurt you, just help me find the Baron and I'll leave you in peace."

She looks terrified, as if she wants to speak but fears a sudden and violent reprisal.

"You're afraid of him, aren't you? What sort of power has he got over you?"

Shame and sadness cross her pathetic, tear-slick face. "Yeh knoow hoow the times are; with the peace between the Scuumi and the Moorani over, daily life's becoome very difficult here. This isn't Scuumi prooper, but a Scuumi hamlet very cloose to the Moorani territoory called Wareigh."

"I'd be wary too if I were that close to them." you say.

"With the raiding parties of the Moorani, commerce plummeted in Wareigh; merchant trains feared to come by lest their goods and beastbeests be plundered, their wagoons burned. The magistrates either fled or were captured. The farms were coonstantly ransacked...

I was a seamstress, suppoorted besides by my hoosband Doggart- he died in the fighting. Business was poor, so to my shame I was foorced to turn to other means of self-support." She draws her infant in closely, as if to cover herself and it from exposure.

"It was oonly my luck that the Morani invaded in earnest soon after. I foond myself a favorite of the Baron-" she looks at the baby in her arms. "-and when he discovered what'e'd begat on me, he forbade me leave this house. Says I am to raise his heir, a slave of a wet nurse to his bastard son."

Hot fury creeps up your chest and neck, until you are red with anger.

"What is your name?" you ask.

"Agrenta." she says, softly.

"Agrenta, listen to me:" you say, holding her eye with a sincere gaze. "My name is Dervis d'Cariti; I too am a victim of this monster, and mean to see him dead. I will do whatever I can to make sure you are free of him, and that this child is raised without his vile influence."

Agrenta looks at you, a rare shining hope in her eyes. "He has left." she tells you. "I do not know where he goes, but I know he is no loonger here. Do yeh mean what you say, that yeh will dispose of the brute, that you will free me from this prison?"

"I swear it."

You see another footprint, faint in the light from the door. You walk out of the house, and see the hard path to Wareigh's green.

"PSST!" you hear, seeming to come from the house.

Curious, you make your way around the side.

There is no one.

"PSST! 'Round the back!" you hear again. It sounds like an older woman's voice. You turn the corner, and find yourself at a kitchen door, where an old lady sits shucking wumbeans.

"I heard you in there, talking to Agrenta. I admire your resolve; there are few men these days who stand for justice." She looks at you, obviously trying to conceal some shock at the appearance of your face.

"I cannot claim I'm selfless." you answer. "I want this pig's head on a spike for what he's done to me, to my family. If it helps his other victims, so much the better. But I'm no hero, just a man with a sword and a dream of seeing it in a bloated Morani gut."

"So much the better." says the old lady, her eyes shining with violent excitement. "There are even fewer willing to give the Morani what they've earned. The Baron has gone to the Leaky Spigot, the public house on the Wareigh green. His thugs hang out there to get drunk and harass Scuumi girls. Doubtless, he's gone to gather some friends for a little violence; I suspect you may be the cause of that."

You nod. "I don't think he counted on me following him after he slashed my eye open."

The old lady looks aghast. "Well, that explains some of what's going on with your face."

"See how good you look after a while with the Morani torture-masters." you reply, a little more bitterly than you intended to come off.

You re-enter the house. "He's gone to the pub to rouse his gang." you say.

"Then let us leave!" cries Isentch. "If he's nowhere near, we should continue to the Broken City!"

"I worry," says Szyrkle, "that we may have inadvertantly alerted the Baron to the presence of our Cave. After all, we had to have come from somewhere; what if he means to invade the Cave, to kill the Risthi and the Soul-Father?"

"Furthermore, I've promised to defend this lady." you say. "I must slay this dog."

"That is most foolish." grumbles Isentch. "You do not know how many men will be in his retinue, nor what weaponry they possess. If you go to fight him, it may be your last fight."

"Ysotho can help." you suggest.

"I don't think you understand, Guardian." says Isentch, crossly. "If you go to that pub, we're not coming with you. We're going to Foronkai, and that is final. We are not here for your vendetta, we are on a quest to save the Soul-Father."

You sigh. "I seem to have overextended myself in terms of promises. Then what if we were to stay here, fortify the house? There may be some villagers willing to help. And if things go wrong, we can retreat into the caves."

Szyrkle looks a little enticed by this option. "I'd love to see a bunch of Morani get killed, this I can't deny." they say.

1.) Go back to the caves and continue to the Broken City of Foronkai.
2.) Go to the Leaky Spigot and confront the Baron.
3.) See if you can round up some villagers to fortify the house.

Inventory
Characters

[A concurrent CYOA]

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

3. But be wary of anyone who might try to warn the baron, the neighbors will be equally desperate and some of them might do anything for a coin. Tell Argenta and the old lady about the plan and ask them about who to approach and any other advice they might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

2. We can round up villagers on the way. Literally everyone we've met has been wanting to help us here, and marching on a place is better for gathering a riotous crowd