Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

The beautiful thing about programming is that it's 100% logical and does exactly what you tell it to do. You will code bugs, that's a fact, but then you debug it and learn the faulty logic and try to not reproduce it

Never wrote a concurrent threaded program for money or dealt with a machine learning system...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Bronze Fonz posted:

I learned VB5 as a kid and then some HTML. It stopped there because 3d animation and video editing was a hell of a lot more fun.

Would you recommend VB.net to a 30-something that wants to code some fairly simple custom programs and who's too dumb for something like C++ or Java? I basically would like to make some stuff to batch rename and sort hundreds/thousands of files based on some given criteria, both for necessity and love of tinkering, maybe some custom program launching dock, fairy simple stuff like that.

I remember there was kicking and screaming when VB became VB.net but I don't know the first thing about "coding simple stuff" in 2019.

If you want to start even simpler, PowerShell is good for your file manipulation stuff. It's already installed with Windows.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

for those struggling, the "v" symbol (vell/wedge) means "or" in this instance. (just like in the computer!)

*in neo voice*

whoa i know code fu

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Real story: I had gone through a few semesters of software engineering before I had to face up to the facts.

Now I work as a cook and I'm much happier, coding just isn't for me.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Never wrote a concurrent threaded program for money or dealt with a machine learning system...

I think everyone has picked up that you think that guy's an idiot by now

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Javascript is the future of web development. If you disagree you're a dinosaur

its webassembly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Most people in ordinary language use exclusive or (xor). "You want the bacon or the eggs?" carries the implication that you can't have both. Computers usually work with inclusive or. You can have both the bacon and the eggs.

Wittgenstein invented the truth table because he believed that things don't exist, facts do, or he believed that when he was young. The representation computers have of things is tacked on later

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 30, 2019

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

for those struggling, the "v" symbol (vell/wedge) means "or" in this instance. (just like in the computer!)

*in neo voice*

whoa i know code fu
It's like asking do you want milk or sugar in your coffee? If you say yes to one, P v Q still holds true

I did well in formal logic for my philosophy classes. Am I a codesman!?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
programming loving sucks

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

sweet thursday posted:

It's like asking do you want milk or sugar in your coffee? If you say yes to one, P v Q still holds true

turns out the truth table is a basilisk that gives you autism.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Settling in to watch the strongly typed boys poo poo their pants in terror at something in javascript like var number = '0'; is it a string, is it a number? Who knows, I'm a terrified child who needs handlebars and I can't be trusted to let types be cast at compile time.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Jose Mengelez posted:

turns out the truth table is a basilisk that gives you autism.

"No John, you are the programmer." And then John had questionable opinions about women.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I do a lot of Powershell and stuff in HTML but I'm afraid to dip my toe in the coding waters because I've never met a dev that I haven't despised.

That said I'm moving my career away from systems and towards more devops poo poo, so I really don't have much of a choice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sweet thursday posted:

The important thing about the logic stuff is that it forces you to understand that the world doesn't care about you. So computer programming is just translating that to the fact that the computer doesn't care about you and dealing with it

You need a plan for your mental health before going into computers for a living, just like any profession that revolves around not being cared about

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
seriously though, imagine taking the trouble to learn (and retain) all this poo poo and then wasting your life coding databases for a company that makes wooden pallets instead of signing on for disability (by reason of evident learning disability/personality disorder) and spending 24/7 coding an enhanced boob physics engine for skyrim and trolling twitter with your rarest pepes.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
I've been a programmer for over 10 years. Don't bother, it sucks

e: which is why I'm moving over to EE

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
This guy failed at planning for mental health

https://www.kennethreitz.org/essays/mentalhealtherror-an-exception-occurred

So did this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser

This guy

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jose Mengelez posted:

seriously though, imagine taking the trouble to learn (and retain) all this poo poo and then wasting your life coding databases for a company that makes wooden pallets instead of signing on for disability (by reason of evident learning disability/personality disorder) and spending 24/7 coding an enhanced boob physics engine for skyrim and trolling twitter with your rarest pepes.

dwarf fortress is in the MoMA

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/164920

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
How much coding do I need to make a deepfake nudes generator for shrek?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

How much coding do I need to make a deepfake nudes generator for shrek?

How much do you want to understand the math?

If you don't want real control over the process, pretty little

If you do, still pretty little but lots of math

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Whats the deal with devops anyway? Its like specializing in all the frustrating unfun parts of programming without the fun parts. I'm trying to hire a full stack person and devops person and I'm getting 6 devops resumes for every full stack

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

bob dobbs is dead posted:

How much do you want to understand the math?

If you don't want real control over the process, pretty little

If you do, still pretty little but lots of math

if you do it manually frame by frame it'll take much longer but you'll cum that much harder. well worth it imo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Whats the deal with devops anyway? Its like specializing in all the frustrating unfun parts of programming without the fun parts. I'm trying to hire a full stack person and devops person and I'm getting 6 devops resumes for every full stack

In order to actually do devops, it helps to not hire people who say they're devops people, because those people are all sysadmins

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

There's no such thing as a full stack developer just FYI.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ape Fist posted:

The only stacks I develop for are stacks of dollar bills. And I want them full

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Ape Fist posted:

full stack means slave

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I loving nope'd right out of programming in college because it was a dumb online course and later on my comp sci teacher, who was actually a pretty accomplished programmer, told me basically "yeah those online coding courses basically set you up to fail, you should have taken my cool kids in-person class on how to start programming."

Instead I went into networking and basic computer repair because I figured out my stupid monkey brain prefers touching computers to looking at software. Still, if this thread does turn out to have good stuff in it, I'm game to learn.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Whats the deal with devops anyway? Its like specializing in all the frustrating unfun parts of programming without the fun parts.

I would agree, but it takes all sorts and to some people programming itself is frustrating and unfun and they would rather do anything else. Strange as it may seem.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've developed several extremely negative pavlov responses because of my computer job

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What’s the best stuff to learn SQL and python? Basically I just want to create data scrapers and interactive dashboards.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What’s the best stuff to learn SQL and python? Basically I just want to create data scrapers and interactive dashboards.

nothing because programming loving sucks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The answer is always whole small projects. Most important word there is small. Tell us a possible project or a specific thing you want to do and we will tell you a smaller thing

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 30, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ape Fist posted:

There are people who are willing and able to jump all over the stack, and they’re often a joy to work with because they often have more agency over their software environment. I’ve always aspired in that direction, because being able to debug or analyze performance from kernel to language runtime to utility library to storage engine to browser runtime to animation library to business logic...it’s really freeing. I don’t think you need to understand how the kernel manages mappings in order to be a successful and happy programmer, or that Kids These Days are worse at their jobs because they never had to write their own malloc, but a lot of problems, especially performance ones, are not at a predictable layer and being able to follow them through multiple stacks goes a long way.

Specialization is valuable at least in decent time chunks because context matters, and once the system doesn’t fit in one person’s head it’s natural to split responsibility by technology type. Most people who aren’t on a team of less than 5 for the whole product don’t jump stack layers on a single task very much in my experience.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

dudeness posted:

I've wanted to learn how to code since I read Dan Brown's classic novel The Da Vinci Code, the problem is I don't actually have any society shattering religious secrets to encode and like why bother unless I can bring down the catholic church.

:dawkins101:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Powershell is good to learn and it has a cool name.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
When using python, make sure to turn on pep8 checking!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
almost all code is garbage code. household computers these days have enough processing power to foot whatever overloaded underoptimized program you want to make, write whatever the gently caress you want as long as it compiles

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I want to learn C# so I can become an audio tools wizard.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Don't bother with Powershell it'll never catch on. Better to stick with VbScript, it is proven technology.
Also make sure to continue to use apps hungarian notation, it is very important to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jose Mengelez posted:

:anime: