Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MasBrillante posted:

I miss when sci fi tv was fun like SG-1. Now everything is all loving grim dark, like reality. Please give me my escapism back.

Have you watched The Orville? Its exactly this. The first few episodes pretend to be family guy in space then find their footing and become the best scifi on TV right now.

Orville is now my favorite over sg1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's alright, I watched the first six seasons earlier this year and got a bit bored of it around then. Maybe I'll go back to it later.

One thing that struck me is that for all the "lol lots of planets sure look like the forests of BC" that SG1 gets, the producers did at least go to the trouble of scouting some different places out in those forests. Honestly what I always found funnier about mid-late 90s sci-fi forest scenes was how it sometimes felt like someone said "hey, let's hire the local SCA nerds, they can even bring their own costumes and tents! :haw:"

What was more striking to me about SG-1 and location reuse was just how many scenes took place in the infirmary.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

sauer kraut posted:

I'm ashamed to admit that I have been binge watching SG-1 seasons 1 to 8 over the recent 2 weeks or so, skipping some of the non plot related planet of the week filler eps.
It came to a screeching halt at exactly that point. They wheeled in a whole bunch of new guys after everyone quit (I guess they begged a few of them successfully to stay on as recurring), and the tone went from relaxed to a weird slapstick comedy :confused:
Didn't make it through even the first episode of season 9.

Was that when they brought in that one chick from Farscape?

Was Stargate: Atlantis the one with the Canadian dude that pronounced the ZPMs "Zed-PMs"?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The episode where the team gate into some factory looking place where the lone inhabitant “clones” the team as cyborg/robots. The resolution of the episode is that the cloned team has to exist on this essentially derelict planet for all eternity.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
its a really good show!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rabble posted:

The episode where the team gate into some factory looking place where the lone inhabitant “clones” the team as cyborg/robots. The resolution of the episode is that the cloned team has to exist on this essentially derelict planet for all eternity.

actually it turns out later they go out and pretend to be stargate dudes and all get killed

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ4m1skW7JQ

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Was that when they brought in that one chick from Farscape?

Yup. Apparently the original chick was preggo and returned later. Hrm maybe I'll check it out.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I would let every single member of SG-1 and most of gate command have sex with me, however kinky they liked.

All at once, if that was they jam.

Really though the show was best seasons 3-8, before season 3 it seemed like it wasn't sure what the goal was and season 1 was on HBO or something I think. Total full frontal first episode even which is fine but a different cadence. After RDA and Don retired it was...it felt phoned in. Farscape man didn't save it.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Erisian Automata posted:

I would let every single member of SG-1 and most of gate command have sex with me, however kinky they liked.

All at once, if that was they jam.

Really though the show was best seasons 3-8, before season 3 it seemed like it wasn't sure what the goal was and season 1 was on HBO or something I think. Total full frontal first episode even which is fine but a different cadence. After RDA and Don retired it was...it felt phoned in. Farscape man didn't save it.

this is an incredibly factual post. i salute you, sir

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think What fate Omaroka is a bit more memorable.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

:five:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hathors one of the more gently caress able golds

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Besides Atlantis, I didn't know there were Sg-1 seasons without RDA and the rest... gently caress that must have sucked.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SG-1? Is that like a Goku thing

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Well met Hammond of Texas.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pixaal posted:

Have you watched The Orville? Its exactly this. The first few episodes pretend to be family guy in space then find their footing and become the best scifi on TV right now.

Orville is now my favorite over sg1

Yeah I don’t see myself watching a Seth Mcfarlane show, both because I dislike his humor and because his face provokes this sort of uncanny valley response in my brain. I’m sure it’s fine but it is not for me.

I do enjoy Killjoys and think it shares a lot of the spirit and tone of SG1 perhaps owing to being an in-house SyFy project and also being very Canadian.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

There's a Stargate pinball machine I like but I really wish it was themed after SG-1 instead of the movie. Anyway, show is good.

Edit: I just remember reading some trivia that mentioned Stargate chevron dialer dude is the only actor outside the primary cast members to be in every single episode lol.

Wasn't the gag with someone from Conan's show being the chevron dude that Walter wasn't in that episode? Why do I even vaguely remember any of this stuff

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
There's like ten episodes where Bra'tac is about die but at the last moment he doesn't die. Don't die Bra'tac :ohdear:

Donathros
Sep 25, 2018
Yup OP. Goa'uld and Tok'ra symbiotes are the best. Having one of those bad boys will save you a few gym trips.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

there is a really good episode where a blackhole transfers through the wormhole i want to watch again

the science in this show is very select lol

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Sex Skeleton posted:

Well met Hammond of Texas.

:rip: :smith:

mikulas
Jul 3, 2019
I miss that show, even the spin off were good, and just when sg universe was getting even more interesting they canceled it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I've only seen that one movie, with pyramids and space Egyptians, and it seemed kind of lame. Should I bother with the series?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It reminds me of Star Trek except the missions are run by the US Air Force instead of the Federation. It's 90s tv scifi.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
The series is about 100x better than the movie.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

:smith: indeed, as teal'c would say. Both RDA and Don retired to spend more time with they grandkids. Then don kinda died :/

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Indy posted:

The series is about 100x better than the movie.

do you still have a link to the realistic version of your avatar someone made years ago?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

I've only seen that one movie, with pyramids and space Egyptians, and it seemed kind of lame. Should I bother with the series?

The movie is barely related to the show. They don't even use the same actors the events technically happened.

It's best thought of as an alternate universe, the movie director keeps saying he's going to finish the movie trilogy and go in the direction he wanted.

I give SG-1 a 10/10 - with the note the first sesson was a bit rough but it makes up for it by even the clip show episodes being good. They retell the story with interesting framing such as everyone being puppets. They are legit good and worth watching.

I give the movie a 7/10 - it's just not up to the standards of the show

I give Atlantis an 8.5/10 - it has ups and downs part of it being of you don't watch it back to back with the SG-1 ep that aired before it that week sometimes characters from SG-1 seem to just show up out of nowhere (when sg-1 spent an episode or two procuring whatever it was)

I'm not going to rate Universe it never had a chance to find it's stride it was going to be amazing or terrible.

The SG-1 movies that came out to wrap up the plot threads are all pretty decent. The Ori one feels really rushed and I wouldn't rewatch but hey it finished the plot!

The Baal movie is amazing 10/10 need more Baal as in bocce in my live.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67E-_SQLVRo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

We don't talk about the kids show, other than that catchy theme song

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

I had no idea this existed, and I've watched every episode of every series (except the new Origins) :psyduck:

How is the new series, anyways? Any good?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
One of the things I loved about Stargate sg1 and Atlantis is that it generally did a very good job keeping its fake sci-fi science straight and consistent even between both shows. Stuff like specifics on how the gates themselves work are not made up on an episode by episode basis.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

pixaal posted:

The movie is barely related to the show. They don't even use the same actors the events technically happened.

It's best thought of as an alternate universe, the movie director keeps saying he's going to finish the movie trilogy and go in the direction he wanted.

I give SG-1 a 10/10 - with the note the first sesson was a bit rough but it makes up for it by even the clip show episodes being good. They retell the story with interesting framing such as everyone being puppets. They are legit good and worth watching.

I give the movie a 7/10 - it's just not up to the standards of the show

I give Atlantis an 8.5/10 - it has ups and downs part of it being of you don't watch it back to back with the SG-1 ep that aired before it that week sometimes characters from SG-1 seem to just show up out of nowhere (when sg-1 spent an episode or two procuring whatever it was)

I'm not going to rate Universe it never had a chance to find it's stride it was going to be amazing or terrible.

The SG-1 movies that came out to wrap up the plot threads are all pretty decent. The Ori one feels really rushed and I wouldn't rewatch but hey it finished the plot!

The Baal movie is amazing 10/10 need more Baal as in bocce in my live.

I want to 50% hug you and 50% fight you. Ori were garbage. Atlantis was even more garbage. Universe was unwatchable. SG-1 is a gift from above, if you into that. The movie was...as a huge sperg about film, not good. But Kurt Russel.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
If you want to watch something thats still a little bit grimdark, but has the Stargate tv sci-fi feel, Continuum on Netflix is good for that. Amanda Tapping (:swoon:) even directed a few episodes

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I want a man to tap (ping)

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

MasBrillante posted:

Yeah I don’t see myself watching a Seth Mcfarlane show, both because I dislike his humor and because his face provokes this sort of uncanny valley response in my brain. I’m sure it’s fine but it is not for me.

I do enjoy Killjoys and think it shares a lot of the spirit and tone of SG1 perhaps owing to being an in-house SyFy project and also being very Canadian.

I would have liked Killjoys a lot more if they stuck to the bounty hunting instead of going off the rails after the first season and becoming an alien invasion series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are some really good episodes. unfortunately there is also the rest of the show. still, occasional excellence is better than most long-running tv shows ever achieve.