Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

As you begin stepping out of the bushes, the elves continue to glare you down. The one with his bow notched, pulls back the string until it audibly hums.

"Once more.... why are you here sky fearers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Jorkas the Mad, Gnome Druid
Prepared: Entangle, Healing Word
XP = 90

The druid seems to have lost interest in the conversation. He sits down and, using just the barest bit of magic, creates a tiny bush with a handful of berries on it. These he starts munching on, grumbling to himself.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The elf on the right glances uncomfortably at Jorkas, then back to the elf taking point on the questioning.

"Um... you want I should go sound the alarm?" he asks. His eyes dart to a tent at the back of this section of camp. Whatever alarm is present seems to be there.

"I think that's a very good idea," the leader says, never taking his eyes off of you.

The other elf keeps his bow aimed and begins slowly shuffling backwards towards his tent.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ariatari
12/12HP AC18 90/300XP

Ariatari lets the birds collect around her without resistance. She notices the others in the party come out of hiding, including the Druid summoning a bush and then eating it. She also notices the elf slowly moving towards the tent and hurriedly says, “Ok let’s all take a deep breath and think this through! We are here to make contact. I don’t know if you noticed the big wall and fortress East of here, but chances are there’s going to be a lot of adventurers coming through here soon. I figured it would be best if we could make contact with you and yours and get a feel for this area. Last thing I want, personally, is bad blood. There’s no need to sound that alarm, we can all talk without weapons right?”

(21 for Persuasion to try and convince the elves that there’s no need to sound the alarm)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The elf heading to his tent slows, then stops as Ariatari continues to talk. The leader continues to aim his bow for you for a while, then slowly lowers it to the ground, still pulled tight, ready to raise if the situation changes.

"We are aware of your wall," he says.

"It is the outermost edge of the prison you keep yourselves locked within aye?" the tallest elf smiles sarcastically. "Safe and content with your precious civilisation."

"It is from there that you strive out to plunder the wilds, is it not? Is that why you are here? Adventure and loot?"

One of them chuckles.

"If it is loot they wish for, we could send them to the brothers." he says in Elvish with a thin smile.

"There is much loot there. The brothers could add their weapons and armour to their stock pile."

"And their bones."

The elves laugh, their huge black eyes glistening.

"Turn around, city folk, grab some exotic plant on your way back to the gate, present it as proof of your bravery and balls and impress those even weaker than you."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Marl - Level 1 Human Rogue - piL - HP: 10/10 AC: 14 PPer: 13 PIns: 11 XP: 90/300

Marl, slowly lets his hands lower, but keeps them comfortably raised during his speech.

"Civilisation is like a tall pile of gravel, piling higher and higher. She requires a wide base and when you take a rock from the edge and place it on the top, the rest of the rocks slide ever so slightly outwards and the shape remains."

"Those on the edge have been abused by civilisation, but grow to need it. Plenty are more than happy to come to the edge, secure whatever wealth they need to return, and climb atop that pile. The problem is that when they do, some other poor pebble rolls down the side and replaces them."

"You can spend your life throwing the rocks back, but the pile grows regardless. But some of us like the edge; some of us want to live in the in between, and those? Those are a bulwark, an opportunity that, if cultivated, is the only way to end that pebble cycle. I was hoping that, by reaching out, we could meet agreeable people here and become that bulwark, cultivating that edge so there can be an edge. I need allies--or at least friends for that. My name is Marl, and if you must send us away, remember that name and call for me before the pebbles have buried you."

Marl stands in the open, his eyes pleading towards the elven common speaker. His body language seems proud but defeated.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

This time, the elves speak in common.

"Nice to meet you, Marl. If civilisation ever tumbles down upon us, I'm sure we'll be fine thank you. The wilds have been wilds for so long because the builders of the world have been unable to tame them. Do not overestimate the powers of harvested stone and timber. Some wild dogs can be trained and controlled, others will bite you every time."

"Tell you what," another says. "This is about adventure right? About proving yourself? Tell you what - there are some things around here that you could definitely test yourself against."

"We've got all kinds of knick-knacks and trinkets if you want them!"

"You just need to come take them!" he licks his needle teeth hungrily.

"Or prove your worth some other way."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Marl - Level 1 Human Rogue - piL - HP: 10/10 AC: 14 PPer: 13 PIns: 11 XP: 90/300

"If I'm to have a place here, I'd want it amongst the wilds and her ken, so taking it by force doesn't sound great, even if you didn't make such a formidable marks. How else could we prove our worth?"

piL fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 13, 2019

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Well that depends, heroes come in all shapes and sizes sky-fearer."

One of the elves pulls twin daggers from his belt and launches them into the ground at his feet to stick in the mossy earth.

"There are feats of strength, feats of wit, feats of cunning, yes? What say you? What task would you face?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XP = 90

"Eating contest."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Two of the elves burst into laughter, the third locks his huge empty eyes on the gnome as a wide, needle-toothed smile spreads across his face.

"Very well, tiny man."

"I'll go get Ulgana and Visera," one of the elves says, skipping through the grass, leaping up to grab a tree root and swinging up and over to disappear behind the hill.

"Five against five, so be it. Take a seat by the fire and warm yourselves. They will be back shortly."

After a second, they turn and sit down on the logs. The campfire has died down slightly, so one of the elves launches a chunk of firewood into the heap.

"So, tell us of your land of stone."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XP = 90

The druid shrugs. "Wouldn't know, just got there." After a few moments he eyes seem to lose focus. "Probably should never have left my grove."

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ariatari
12/12HP AC18 90/300XP

"I...oh gods..." Ariatari mumbles as she watches the elf bound away. She sits next to the crazed druid and watches him in mild horror.

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Mordai

Mordai sits down by the fire keeping a small distance between himself, the elves and the weird gnome.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Marl begins to answer when the gnome beats him to the punch. He sucks in a deep breath and then holds it entirely too long to maintain his composure.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

You make small talk with the elves for a few minutes. They are evasive with answers and seem amused by the gnomish druid, but cautious of the rest of you. Your eyes are drawn again and again to their bizarrely alien features - the huge empty eyes and the needle-like teeth. Up close you notice other variations - their fingers end in claws rather than nails and seem disconcertingly long, their skin is covered in patches of gentle mottling and their throats gently bob and bulge like a frogs as they talk.

After some time the other elf returns with two others, one of whom carries a large sack over his shoulder.

"Yes yes yes, here we are!" he says, leaping down to the campfire.

"So, you choose to eat to impress us - very good choice - an eating contest shall be had!" the elf with the sack declares.

One by one, he takes smaller sacks from his pack and places them around the campfire. The other elves grin and whisper to one another in elvish, finding their places around the various meals.

"Firstly, we have..." he pauses dramatically before whipping the sack away to reveal two wooden bowls of rice, "a mushroom risotto made with peppers, onions and wild rice!"

"Secondly, we have a mystery gumbo of subtle and delicate ingredients." There is a single large bowl with two wooden spoons inside a thick stew.

"Third, a feast! Wild meats and game, salted from last season. Simple, hearty, but filling!" The stack of meat within the sack is huge. The largest of the elves immediately sits down at this.

As soon as the elf touches the forth sack, a horrendous stench fills the clearing. It hits the back of your throat and stings your nose. "Forth, oh god, wea.... errgggh.... pickled weaver fish...." The ugly, mishapen fish that are under the sack make your stomach turn, but the smell that rises from them burns your senses.

"And finally, raw razor beetle...very raw!" he whips away the sack to reveal two small containers. Each serves as a prison cell for a fist-sized beetle. Long horns like those of a rhino stick out from their face, wingcases frantically smash at the lid of the container and each leg ends in a vicious scythe. The containers jump around the floor as the two beetles viciously and violently hammer themselves against their jails.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take your places!"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XP = 90

Jorkas quietly gets up and sits down in front of the bowl risotto. He looks at the others and shrugs, "I don't eat meat."

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ariatari
12/12HP AC18 90/300XP

Ariatari’s stomach rumbles at the sight of the huge stack of meat. She quickly steps toward it and sits down across from the largest elf. As she gazes hungrily at the meat, she happens to glance more closely at the elf. His eyes, teeth, and hands seem so...different from what she’s used to seeing on the elves back East but she’s not really sure why she feels that way. Her hunger and the smell of the cured meats overwhelms her suspicions fairly quickly.

(Perception roll of 7)

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

"Good way to hedge your bets," Marl whispers to the Gnome, "No matter how this goes, at least we get fed."

The charlatan looks out towards the smorgasbord that's presented and considers his options momentarily before braving the seat before the pickled weaver fish with a cheerful grin, betrayed by droplets of water forming at the corners of his eyes. The forced grin fades into a grimace as he inspects the meal before him.

Disguise to try and keep his cool: 9

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Mordai

Mordai seeing that most of the items were already chosen sat down across from the elf that had chosen the gumbo.

"I kinda pity the two who have to eat the pickled fish, looks like we lucked out there at least" Mordai says to the elf that he was facing in the eating contest

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ariatari
12/12HP AC18 90/300XP

The wind blows gently. Someone lets out a long, slow fart. Ariatari thinks it was the crazed druid but can’t be sure. She does her best to covertly cover her nose and thanks the gods that she is upwind from him.

The food grows cold.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XP = 90

A normal person would hope that nobody heard that. Jorkas is not a normal person. He lets the gas fly.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Looks like that leaves you with the razor beetles, friend!" the fifth elf says, motioning for Sylvester to sit before the thrashing containers.

"Food is a big part of life out here - we take it very seriously. If the five of you can best us in these culinary pairings, you have earned some credo. The first contest, between myself and the gnome is a good old fashioned eating contest. We eat bowl by bowl until we can eat no more. Whoever eats the most bowls wins!"

Jorkas, roll an appropriate check for eating a lot!

"The gumbo is a taste test. There are secret ingredients in here. Use your delicate palate to locate the hidden tastes!"

Mordai, roll an appropriate check for discovering delicate tastes!

"If the rissotto is a marathon, then these game meats are a sprint! It's a speed contest. Eat a lot, eat fast!"

Ariatari, make a roll!

"As for the weaver fish.... your task is simple. Don't vom. You have to keep it down. One mouthful at a time. Whoever keeps their stomach longest wins!

[/i]Marl, make a roll to hold your food down!"

"And finally, the razor bugs. My friend, they are as likely to take a bite out of you as you are to take a bite out of them. The second you open the container they will try to kick your rear end, so move quick and move hard."

Make an appropriate roll!"

Each encounter will be three rounds long, after your rolls, I will roll for them. Best of three wins!

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Ariatari
12/12HP AC18 90/300XP

As soon as the elf finishes speaking Ariatari digs in, grabbing large handfuls of meat and chewing as quickly as she can. The meat tastes as good as it smells and looks and her strong jaw works wonders on it.

(rolled a 22 in Discord)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

XP = 90

Jorkas grunts, grabs a bowl of the risotto and begins to methodically eat. He doesn't seem to be in any sort of hurry once he knows it's an endurance contest.

Rolled a Survival check, 12! :negative:

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009

Mordai

Mordai hearing that he has to figure out what's in his meal takes a spoonful into his mouth and moves it all over his tongue trying to separate the flavors from each other.

(rolled a 14 in the discord)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

No time like the present. Marl steels himself. "Bon Apetit," he offers to his opponent as he takes the first serving trying to swallow it before he can taste it. What he didnt expect was the texture. Oh gods, the texture.

Rolled a CON saving throw of 8 in the discord.