Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tunnel Rhino is 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Phantasium posted:

Tunnel Rhino is 3.

Ah poo poo. I was thinking of wheel gator.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that means you're talking poo poo about my boy with the gator tank

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
On the MMX train, OG Sigma was a poo poo fight, when you need to jump on the claws to hit his head. Like a slow Gamma fight you couldn't cheese with top spin.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Salabog on Secret of Evermore. More HP than the next three bosses and one of them is a chapter-ending boss. Plays hide and seek half the time and alchemy is garbage at this point.

I started a post on this yesterday and had a hard time articulating why it's so bad before I had to go do something else. But yeah, the first major boss you fight in the game has 600 HP, then Salabog is next and has 2000. Salabog is a snake monster that lives in the waters of a swamp, and you're confined to a narrow strip of land that stretches over about three screens' worth of real estate. Its movement is random and, until it does its one physical attack, it remains out of reach of your weapons...unless you've hit level 2 with the Spear, a weapon that you just earned from a miniboss about 30 minutes before this fight. If you did some grinding in the lead-up to this battle, you can charge your Spear attack and throw it for about 70 damage. Even so, you're still chipping away at this thing for a good 5-10 minutes.

Like Scalding Coffee mentioned, every subsequent boss in the prehistoric chapter is a breeze in comparison; even the bosses in the next major section of the game feel quaint in comparison. But then in the middle of Act 3 you face THE VERMINATOR, another boss with RIDICULOUS HP that is positioned to be PERMANENTLY out of range of your melee weapons. By that point your alchemy skills are significantly better, and you've even got an Honest-to-God bazooka!...but you've got maybe half a dozen bazooka shells, and the supplies required to use your alchemy attacks run out fast. So your best bet is going to be...slowly chipping away at him by throwing your Lance. The Lance that you got from the previous boss, about 30 minutes earlier, and may not have used enough to unlock the throwing attack at this point. (Luckily, though, you can fall back on your Act 2 spear, if need be. Which hits for a lot less damage.)

SoE is one of my favorite SNES games, but it's kind of astounding that they made nearly the exact same cheap design decision twice.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

How many good MMX games even are there? 1 and 2?

i thought 4 was good but it was also the first major leap from super nintendo to playstation

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

On the MMX train, OG Sigma was a poo poo fight, when you need to jump on the claws to hit his head. Like a slow Gamma fight you couldn't cheese with top spin.

I lost to Sigma's final form and could not be hosed to grind my way back up and not suck my way through the first phases again and called it a night

gently caress that spider too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my favorite sigma fight is still x4

yeah the cloak form goes on too long but I like fighting him with with the scythe and laser eyes and then the weird heads at the end.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Regarding Bloody Mary:

Terranigma is one of those games where one level can make a huge difference. You kind of had to grind sometimes. The other thing about this boss was that magic spells worked very well, which sucks because for basically everything else in the game hitting things with your stick will suffice. You can also use the holy-elemental weapon you got at the mirage desert zombie city to do slightly more damage against her even at low levels.

Regarding Secret of Evermore:

Back when I was regularly doing Let's Plays I remember fighting Salabog and quickly running out of things to talk about because it was taking so goddamn long. And this was with the spear charge attack. Good lord, was that a poor decision or maybe just some sort of coding error where the real puzzle of the fight was figuring out how to hit it and it was supposed to have like 200 HP instead. Verminator never bothered me too much because you start finding uses for Alchemy well before that point and if you haven't leveled some spell up by then that's on you. I do think it's super dumb that you can't get any additional bazooka ammo before the fight though, considering you get it back with just ONE shot. Once the citizens flock back to Ebon Keep you can buy some ammo for it in the stands, but other than that you're out of luck until space.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Any console game where the difficulty is just absurd stamina, on both your part and the boss's.

Yellow Devil? Decent boss concept, difficult but approachable pattern. Is the duration reasonable? gently caress no, it takes way too long and you are fighting your own endurance with no interesting variance to justify such a long fight.

I'll go out on a limb and say the entire boss structure of Mega Man. The whole rock-paper-scissors idea is alright, I guess, but it comes down to knowing which tool can exploit the Achilles' heel for a given boss. The boss patterns are kind of fun and interesting if you just stick to the pea shooter, but their stamina is too high for this to be practical.

Beat em ups like Streets of Rage, with the same 5 recycled enemies for a stage that goes on for too long, and then just bringing back the same mid-bosses repeatedly but with higher health and/or quantity. Turns out having a tiny ROM size and low dev budget hurts the game!

All the boss fights in Journey to Silius are a bit too long for this reason.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

the Bloody Mary boss in Terranigma was so ridiculous (I think it took over 200 hits to kill her) that I almost quit the game over it, and according to google/youtube I am not alone. there's people who do speedruns of just that bossfight because of how ridiculous it is. I think it took me over half an hour to beat her in realtime (not including deaths or anything). that poo poo sucked.

Yeah the way to beat her without magic or leveling is to slice through her gem ring, getting a hit in, letting go of the run button and normal jumping over the ring on the other side, then repeating. It's a ridiculous move that you have to do loads of times before she dies, or you can just level up a bit or use magic and beat her in a few minutes but I didn't know that as a kid.

I was also completely underleveled for the final boss, I beat it at level 26 or something crazy like that, 1 dmg per hit and I didn't know the trick to make him come down, I think I tried something like 15 times but was really happy when I finally got him and saw the ending. Then I replayed the game years later and realized how anticlimactically easy the final boss is if you're "properly" leveled and know that you have to turn your back to him to make him come within range, Terranigma has really wonky balancing.

My theory is that the original plan was for magic to be usable on all the bosses, rather than just Bloody Mary, but that they figured it made the game really easy and so disabled it for all of them but her. They also tried to awkwardly shove a leveling system into an ARPG at the same time and never figured out how to manage level scaling, realized Bloody Mary was ridiculous and so kept the magic switched on for that fight but never bothered to tell players about it.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 23, 2019

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the final boss of Kid Niki for the arcade. i think its the only time ive given up on a 1CC so close to the finish line. the bubbles section alone was enough to break me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHM3PbPLbY&t=788s

shame too, game is great otherwise

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Verminator was never a problem for me, for I was a filthy spammer, which made some people angry when I fooled all over the rat. How else could I hit it? Alchemy doesn't even make much of an impact in the game until the second chapter and you farm the monk who always drops loadsamoney and can glitch you into super stats with some prep work.
I forgot to mention that Salabog also attacks by breathing fire, which spawns two adds, which exist to level up your spear. You will level up your spear when you finally kill the boss. There seems to be a glitch where you skip over the whole swamp section and the boss.

The Mexican bandit boss in Time Lord. You have a timer to finish the game before it's game over and there are about six stages and six bosses. This boss is so front loaded with health that you will lose about a few months fighting through that HP. Other bosses die inside a week, but I understand the design, since you can finish the game very quickly otherwise. The boss doesn't even have a good pattern and you get tired of him very quickly. Looking back at it, the fucker heals when you stop button mashing. That is gently caress you game design.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 24, 2019

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Fourth floor boss in Kung Fu/Kung Fu Master. gently caress that dude.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mortal Kombat 3 made me racist towards centaurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FahUploF2v8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Breakdown has 3 major bossfights and all of them are awful for unrelated reasons which is kind of impressive.

The helicopter is just awkward to fight as the aiming the in game is not meant to handle how fast the enemy moves and the distance at which a rocket disappears is pretty short because this is basically the only ranged fight in the game. Add on top that due to how ammo pickups work in the game you should only pick up more at certain thresholds of ammo while a boss can blow up all the cover you have at whim and youre in for a good time. "Luckily" sometimes its AI just does dumb stuff and lets you wreck it in like half a minute.

The second boss is ok the first time and then he stands up and fights you more with more moves, counters, and kills you in about 3 good hits and has an attack that can only be countered by using a limited resource so if he decides to spam it a bunch rip you. Did I mention if you lose in round 2 you have to start the fight all over again so its an awful endurance test before you figure out how to do real damage.

The final boss is a puzzle that a) requires you to get lucky that the enemies that spawn in dont body block you to the item you have to pick up and b) you realize what you even need to do to hurt it and c) you use the one combo that can kill it in one cycle because if you dont one cycle it you die as all the enemies it spawned in murder you real, real good.

In summary all of you should play this game because Breakdown is one of the best games of its generation despite being janky, difficult, and repetitive.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Wasn't the Wily Capsule in Mega Man 7 loving awful?
Hell, even if it wasn't, I really dislike Wily Capsules. They're usually about waiting, and are fairly boring. They don't even look that different, so I can never tell which game had what fight.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Vookatos posted:

Wasn't the Wily Capsule in Mega Man 7 loving awful?
Hell, even if it wasn't, I really dislike Wily Capsules. They're usually about waiting, and are fairly boring. They don't even look that different, so I can never tell which game had what fight.

The biggest problem with that wasn't actually the fight itself, but that it was part of a long-running trend where game over at Wily sent you back to the boss refights. The earlier games got it right by making Wily its own thing, then I guess someone decided that made too much sense and we got this crap game after game.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
There is one specific boss in Time Lord for the NES that always gave me trouble as a kid: the giant Mexican stereotype at the end of the Wild West level. Depending on how you fought him, he would range from "bullet sponge" to "completely invulnerable"; the only strategy that ever seemed to work was to make him follow you up/down the screen in a specific rhythm, and never stop firing, even if it meant having to tank a few hits.

A couple weeks ago, I got bored and decided to crack open FCEUX's debugger and figure out just how much HP that boss has, and why it seems to fluctuate between playthroughs. It turns out that, for God knows what reason, that one boss automatically regenerates HP, but only when he's walking to the right. If you don't follow behind him and constantly pump him full of lead, he will keep returning to full health, and there is absolutely no indication that this is happening. Thanks a lot, Rare, you masochistic bastards! :argh:

magikid posted:

Is there a worse boss than the wall crash bomb one in Mega Man 2? I think that might actually be the worst boss design in history.

I actually think Alien Wily is worse than the turrets, because if you don't go in with a full Bubble Lead, you're completely screwed. Since the final area is devoid of items and enemies, the only way to refill your weapon energy at this point is to lose all your lives and continue. Hope you didn't grind for 1ups!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All New Sonic posted:

A couple weeks ago, I got bored and decided to crack open FCEUX's debugger and figure out just how much HP that boss has, and why it seems to fluctuate between playthroughs. It turns out that, for God knows what reason, that one boss automatically regenerates HP, but only when he's walking to the right. If you don't follow behind him and constantly pump him full of lead, he will keep returning to full health, and there is absolutely no indication that this is happening. Thanks a lot, Rare, you masochistic bastards! :argh:

the foot enemy that you have to kill at the end of snake rattle 'n roll does something like that too iirc, if you ever let up on him he just regenerates all his health

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Meanwhile, the bosses in Gimmick! do not have enough health.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Master System version, meanwhile, is an utter cakewalk, since the bombs don't really vary in arc any and you have so much more room to work with.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Barudak posted:

Breakdown has 3 major bossfights and all of them are awful for unrelated reasons which is kind of impressive.

The helicopter is just awkward to fight as the aiming the in game is not meant to handle how fast the enemy moves and the distance at which a rocket disappears is pretty short because this is basically the only ranged fight in the game. Add on top that due to how ammo pickups work in the game you should only pick up more at certain thresholds of ammo while a boss can blow up all the cover you have at whim and youre in for a good time. "Luckily" sometimes its AI just does dumb stuff and lets you wreck it in like half a minute.

The second boss is ok the first time and then he stands up and fights you more with more moves, counters, and kills you in about 3 good hits and has an attack that can only be countered by using a limited resource so if he decides to spam it a bunch rip you. Did I mention if you lose in round 2 you have to start the fight all over again so its an awful endurance test before you figure out how to do real damage.

The final boss is a puzzle that a) requires you to get lucky that the enemies that spawn in dont body block you to the item you have to pick up and b) you realize what you even need to do to hurt it and c) you use the one combo that can kill it in one cycle because if you dont one cycle it you die as all the enemies it spawned in murder you real, real good.

In summary all of you should play this game because Breakdown is one of the best games of its generation despite being janky, difficult, and repetitive.

Breakdown is like top 10 games ever for me and one of the reasons I always have the slight want to buy a Xbox One is for upscaled Breakdown and Ninja Gaiden Black. I still agree with all of this, the bosses really suck in that game.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

The Wily Castle boss level from Mega Man 2 where you had to time crash bombs and have just enough energy to not only break doors but break the turrets.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

The dam level from TMNT. It might as well be a boss.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Any boss where you end up being forced to fight it with low health, low ammo, etc, and this handicap hasn't been factored into the design of the boss. There are games where this is done well, but there are also games where it is very much not done well.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pug Rodeo posted:

The dam level from TMNT. It might as well be a boss.

First time I saw a guy speedruning TMNT on a GDQ stream, he got to the Dam and I thought "He's going to have to execute this flawlessly to beat the time limit and able to continue." Then he proceeded to demonstrate his strategy, which was just "swim through the beams and take damage, if you've managed the health of your team even a little bit you can survive it." It blew my mind.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Robot Y in Streets of Rage 3. Not only does he get the usual boss immunities/instant counters, he's flying about the room the entire goddamn time and you have to beat him within a certain amount of time or you get the real bad ending (even worse than the one the game mockingly gives you for beating it on Easy).

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The level 7 boss with the smart missiles in Descent was loving bastard even if the arena was cool. Now I can beat him pretty easily but man as a kid it was an absolute terror before the muscle memory and stockpiling of homing missiles kicked in.
Arguably the worst part of the boss is the loving drillers and red homing missile bots

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr E posted:

Breakdown is like top 10 games ever for me and one of the reasons I always have the slight want to buy a Xbox One is for upscaled Breakdown and Ninja Gaiden Black. I still agree with all of this, the bosses really suck in that game.

I streamed it through a BonX for a friend because a) the game is incredible despite how downright mean it gets, and b) it looked amazing

cap-n-crunch
Dec 29, 2008

A garden of modest ambition.
Psychonauts on original Xbox seemed like a fun easy kid game up until you fight Rasputin's dad in the meat level. I remember spending more time on that level fighting weird camera angles with unforgiving platforming more than I do the rest of the entire game.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
All of the final bosses that feel totally different from the game you've been playing. They're not bad because they're unfair, but it's such a letdown after having dumped countless hours into a game getting better and better at it and then the final boss feels like a completely different game or is barely more than a cinematic. Sometimes a very difficult one, but for some reason, more often than not, an extremely easy one. There are tons of examples, but off the top of my head:

- Bowser in Mario 64
- Trevelyan in Goldeneye
- Skedar King in Perfect Dark
- John Romero in Doom 2

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sonic 3’s final boss was obnoxious due to it’s utterly obnoxious hitbox which was heavily fortified with a hurt box which would ether be annoying or spend a solid 10 seconds taunting you as it German suplexes Sonic.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kurtofan posted:

i don't like draygon in super metroid

The first and only time I called the Nintendo tip line was for that rear end in a top hat. I've beaten the game a bunch over the years and have always fallen back on the grapple beam cheese and never beat it legitimately. I've made peace with taking this shame to my grave.

Lawman 0 posted:

The level 7 boss with the smart missiles in Descent was loving bastard even if the arena was cool. Now I can beat him pretty easily but man as a kid it was an absolute terror before the muscle memory and stockpiling of homing missiles kicked in.
Arguably the worst part of the boss is the loving drillers and red homing missile bots

The sound that thing made was nightmare fuel. A horrible mechanical cacophonic song that moved from one side of your headphones to the other and only periodically drowned out by your missile lock alarm going off like a meth head who just slammed a Nebuchadnezzar of Four Loko because even though you can't see it it still found you.

While not being a boss the thief bot from the second game still triggers an irrational mix of anxiety and anger in me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Son of Sun is optional but easily the worst part of Chrono Trigger. Such a stupid fight.

You could trivialize it with anti-fire armor but it still took forever.

JethroMcB posted:

I started a post on this yesterday and had a hard time articulating why it's so bad before I had to go do something else. But yeah, the first major boss you fight in the game has 600 HP, then Salabog is next and has 2000. Salabog is a snake monster that lives in the waters of a swamp, and you're confined to a narrow strip of land that stretches over about three screens' worth of real estate. Its movement is random and, until it does its one physical attack, it remains out of reach of your weapons...unless you've hit level 2 with the Spear, a weapon that you just earned from a miniboss about 30 minutes before this fight. If you did some grinding in the lead-up to this battle, you can charge your Spear attack and throw it for about 70 damage. Even so, you're still chipping away at this thing for a good 5-10 minutes.

I actually didn't think Salabog was that bad compared to the first boss. That bug was a pain in the rear end.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

cap-n-crunch posted:

Psychonauts on original Xbox seemed like a fun easy kid game up until you fight Rasputin's dad in the meat level. I remember spending more time on that level fighting weird camera angles with unforgiving platforming more than I do the rest of the entire game.

Ah yes. The Meat Circus.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kurtofan posted:

i don't like draygon in super metroid

Fabulousity posted:

The first and only time I called the Nintendo tip line was for that rear end in a top hat. I've beaten the game a bunch over the years and have always fallen back on the grapple beam cheese and never beat it legitimately. I've made peace with taking this shame to my grave.
While not being a boss the thief bot from the second game still triggers an irrational mix of anxiety and anger in me.

Ha I was going to mention this guy too. I think I only ever beat him legitimately once. But difficulty aside I think it's just not a very good design visually? I always felt like it was unfinished or something given how cool the room you fight it in looks and stuff. Like he comes off as just an animal in your way while the other three bosses feel intelligent and actively malicious towards you. Kraid is amazing because the builds it up like you fight mini-Kraid oh hey haha Kraid just like in the original Metroid same looking room and all so easy and then you go into the next room and OH poo poo KRAID IS HUGE. Phantoon is cool because he's a ghost and the fight is interesting because he's only vulnerable for brief moments but it doesn't get tedious because of the amount of stuff he throws are you. Ridley's trademark "SCREEEEE!!!" the music in his area and stuff, that fight just fuckin' owns. I also like that he's there and vulnerable to damage as soon as you enter the room even though he hasn't faded in yet so you can drop power bombs on the way down and get some free damage. :D

Draygon though is basically just a shittier and more tedious Ridley if you don't use the grapple beam method. But I do like that his kids drag his corpse away at the end. :3:

EDIT:

HA! Upon further research it seems I was correct, they initially designed Draygon to be more grotesque but then decided to tone it down later on, also I never knew about "Keiko Love", Dragyon redeemed at last:

Yasuhiko Fujii posted:

Actually, before the fight with Draygon, the boss of Maridia, there’s a group of Evir enemies that do a little “dance”. Their movements actually trace out the letters of a phrase in English, “Keiko Love”! Keiko was the name of a girl I was dating at the time. I was busy with work all the time and couldn’t see her much, so at night while everyone at the office sleeping, I stole a moment and snuck that code in!
That little Evir dance wasn’t written in the planning documents anywhere, so I remember my heart beating fast as I coded it, with the worry of it being discovered… but in the end, no one ever found it out. Now isn’t that a romantic story? (laughs)

Originally, Draygon was much more grotesque. He actually looked too gross and realistic, so the director made us revise him, and that’s where he ended up. Even then, I was surprised how far they were allowed to take it. The programming for Draygon, of course, was done by me. (laughs)

The ability to kill Draygon with the Grapple Beam (by firing at a turret and electrocuting him), was part of our overall design philosophy for the bosses: that they all needed to have a weakness somewhere. With that in mind, we wanted to add something surprising for players. It was also done for people who keep dying to that annoying “W” swoop attack of his… we wanted it to be this eye-opening moment, like “whoa, you can do that?”

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 25, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol, draygon is like my favorite fight in SM

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I can't comprehend having trouble beating any of the SM bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I struggle the most in Super Metroid against Spore Spawn, which is just humiliating. Even I can see it's not hard, yet somehow, every time, I end up flailing about like a moron.