Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

First game I played with my Turbo Everdrive was Download. No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

First game I played with my Turbo Everdrive was Download. No regrets.

lol

Neo Geo's Blazing Star had some pretty great lines

I also recall "DON'T BE PANIC! I HAVE A BAD HUNCH!"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You know you're bad when a game literally tells you to lurk more.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
"THERE IS NO ESCAPE!" "YOU WILL BE THE ONE ESCAPING!"

and

"WHY SHOULD IT GO WELL!"

from the Avengers arcade game

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Download doesn't belong in this thread :colbert:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/crude-english-dowload-pc-engine-turbografx/

It's perfect.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
This one 's ironic but it still owns

http://langfandood.tripod.com/langirassar.html

This predates all the modern Google Translate romhacks and is the best thing byuu has contributed to gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bpoITBWvQ

Smight's Rom Pit landed on it one night.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My favorite bad translations are from Lufia 2:

You had "Cobalts"

"She Vipers" :allears:

And of course the Wood Gorems.

Apparently the English text in general was really wonky at times, a wonder I only learned about after I joined Something Awful Dot Com, since as a kid I played the game in German, and our translation was perfectly fine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lufia 2 is the only SNES game that got a Dutch translation for who knows what reason. I think it also had the "gorem" think so maybe they translated from the English version.

It's weird how in Europe, certain games got a special big box treatment in certain countries. Terranigma got a big box with a strategy guide in Germany, Lufia 2 got a big box in Holland (I still have mine), the strategy guide was pretty cool. I also remember they released some really weird comics aimed at those markets, drawn in some kind of hybrid of manga and European comic drawing styles

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 24, 2019

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Libluini posted:

Apparently the English text in general was really wonky at times, a wonder I only learned about after I joined Something Awful Dot Com, since as a kid I played the game in German, and our translation was perfectly fine.

I dunno, looks okay to me :shrug:

In all seriousness, Lufia II was kind of a mess in general, and the US localization only made things worse. Like, "did this get any playtesting whatsoever" worse. Pressing Left on the stereo/monaural option in the config menu causes major game corruption!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shibawanko posted:

Lufia 2 is the only SNES game that got a Dutch translation for who knows what reason. I think it also had the "gorem" think so maybe they translated from the English version.

It's weird how in Europe, certain games got a special big box treatment in certain countries. Terranigma got a big box with a strategy guide in Germany, Lufia 2 got a big box in Holland (I still have mine), the strategy guide was pretty cool. I also remember they released some really weird comics aimed at those markets, drawn in some kind of hybrid of manga and European comic drawing styles

The US didn't even get Terranigma :bahgawd:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Vietnamese-Crystal/

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All New Sonic posted:

I dunno, looks okay to me :shrug:

In all seriousness, Lufia II was kind of a mess in general, and the US localization only made things worse. Like, "did this get any playtesting whatsoever" worse. Pressing Left on the stereo/monaural option in the config menu causes major game corruption!

English version also has hosed up tilesets in a few places, like B100 in the ancient cave, they fixed that in the Dutch version at least

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Columns for the Sega Genesis.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The recent Grandia HD remaster had a pretty silly context gaffe in German, they translated the "MISS" popup that occurs when your attack doesn't hit as "FRÄULEIN" (unmarried woman)

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 9, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Libluini posted:

My favorite bad translations are from Lufia 2:

imo the absolute best one is a major ending spoiler

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a harsh law

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
UH — OH!
THE TRUCK HAVE
STARTED TO MOVE!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
YOU NOW
PROSSESS
DRACULA'S
RIB.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a Neo Geo fighting game called Ninja Master's.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Might be a bit too new to be retro, but how they handled Melinda Decameron from Way Of The Samurai 4 is an interesting look at weird translations. First, a bit of info behind her last name.

Decameron

Deca = Japanese for huge/large
Meron = Japanese pronunciation of Melon
The character has a large bust. In the original Japanese, her last name was a play on words. For the English release...

I imagine that translating the whole joke might be difficult, but they just said the punchline and were done with it.

I still love that this game actually got localized though, so don't think I'm not grateful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Melinda Megamelons owns. Don't forget her superior, Jet Jenkins and his three weapons, Josephine, Joanna and Jacqueline.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Lazyhound posted:

UH — OH!
THE TRUCK HAVE
STARTED TO MOVE!

Nemo2342 posted:

YOU NOW
PROSSESS
DRACULA'S
RIB.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Vlaphor posted:

Might be a bit too new to be retro, but how they handled Melinda Decameron from Way Of The Samurai 4 is an interesting look at weird translations. First, a bit of info behind her last name.

Decameron

The character has a large bust. In the original Japanese, her last name was a play on words. For the English release...

I imagine that translating the whole joke might be difficult, but they just said the punchline and were done with it.

I still love that this game actually got localized though, so don't think I'm not grateful.

They may have been able to keep more or less the same joke if they named her Melinda Granmelone or Grossamelone or something but "Melinda Megamelons" is much funnier than the original cheesy pun.

デカメロン in Japanese also means, literally indistinguishably without context, "Huge melons" and "Decameron" which means the Japanese cover of The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio basically just says "HUGE TITS" on the front of it.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 27, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Turbografx-16 Bravoman, one of my favorites, was full of them: "Zortan, my right hand I leave it to you" and "I'll give you death".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vlaphor posted:

Decameron

See, this kind of thing would never happen in a German translation, because the original joke would just fly wide over the translators' heads. They'd just go "huh, someone must have been a fan of Boccaccio, ha ha" at best and "what the hell does this character have to do with a ten-day-work? does that even mean anything? let's leave it like it is" at worst. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ar Tonelico 2 (PS2)'s translation was kind of mediocre, including a handful of lines that just stayed in Japanese

But the real reason the game is notoriously poorly localized is that the penultimate boss literally always crashes the game when she does her special attack. The localization had a typo in the name of the font used for the text displaying the attack's name. So the game can't find the font and crashes

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

cheetah7071 posted:

Ar Tonelico 2 (PS2)'s translation was kind of mediocre, including a handful of lines that just stayed in Japanese

But the real reason the game is notoriously poorly localized is that the penultimate boss literally always crashes the game when she does her special attack. The localization had a typo in the name of the font used for the text displaying the attack's name. So the game can't find the font and crashes

So the boss directly attacks the console itself rather than your characters. That's extremely clever design. Ingenious fourth wall breaking. :thunk:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

So the boss directly attacks the console itself rather than your characters. That's extremely clever design. Ingenious fourth wall breaking. :thunk:

Sadly, the crash was fixed in time for the European release, so we only got the random Japanese lines.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's actually been a fan retranslation of AT2 that finished a few years back:

http://www.at2.metalbat.com

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Is there an explanation for why "gently caress" pops up so much in Engrish translations?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Is there an explanation for why "gently caress" pops up so much in Engrish translations?

Couple of possible reasons:

1. Japanese treats profanity differently than English. Things that are handled by tone and style of language in Japanese are instead handled by word choice in English. Though this generally leads into...

2. Poor translators inserting profanity where it doesn't belong, because
a. They think it's cool and edgy
b. They misunderstood the tone and/or overcorrected for something that can't be properly translated.

In the case of gently caress in Engrish-y translations, though:

1. It's seen as a powerful word in English to foreign translators, and has no real connotations in their native languages, so it can be used fairly freely to set a tone

2. A mistranslation of "insert", as in "put it in a bag". IE, In "Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal", "gently caress" is used in place of "put in" or "inserted" because that's pretty much what gently caress means, used literally and without understanding the context of the word itself.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Couple of possible reasons:

1. Japanese treats profanity differently than English. Things that are handled by tone and style of language in Japanese are instead handled by word choice in English. Though this generally leads into...

2. Poor translators inserting profanity where it doesn't belong, because
a. They think it's cool and edgy
b. They misunderstood the tone and/or overcorrected for something that can't be properly translated.

In the case of gently caress in Engrish-y translations, though:

1. It's seen as a powerful word in English to foreign translators, and has no real connotations in their native languages, so it can be used fairly freely to set a tone

2. A mistranslation of "insert", as in "put it in a bag". IE, In "Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal", "gently caress" is used in place of "put in" or "inserted" because that's pretty much what gently caress means, used literally and without understanding the context of the word itself.

I'm suddenly loving reminded of the original loving localization of loving Yakuza on the loving PS2. gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm suddenly loving reminded of the original loving localization of loving Yakuza on the loving PS2. gently caress.

I liked every crowd of dudes you'd beat on the street yelling MOTHERFUCKER when they caught sight of you.

At least by Y2 they'd cleaned up their act a bit and gave us the holy gift of "I peacocked your mom".

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kirbysuperstar posted:

I liked every crowd of dudes you'd beat on the street yelling MOTHERFUCKER when they caught sight of you.

Beatdown: Fists Of Vengeance is pretty good in this regard too iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

This game is extremely obscure, so I doubt anyone recognizes it, but I think it is a very serious contender for "worst translation of all time":

Only registered members can see post attachments!