Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Dave Syndrome posted:

Also, Watto singing the cantina band song in the game menu never got old.

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
gently caress what would have been a great snype. Next guy make sure to snipe with the new lap record thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
those absolute madmans had the naboo starfighter hidden away for a full year!!

i remember staying up till midnight refreshing the pod racer website waiting for them to post the code to unlock it and they didn't do it till noon the next day :argh:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They had it in Rogue Squadron too and that thing came out the year before the actual movie.

Also: A car.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mooey Cow posted:

They had it in Rogue Squadron too and that thing came out the year before the actual movie.

oh wait no i was thinking of rogue squadron not the pod racer game

factor 5 is insane

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Remember when games used to have cool and wacky cheat codes?

There was also a cheat code that shows a picture of the dev crew; "BLAMEUS" :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mooey Cow posted:

gently caress what would have been a great snype. Next guy make sure to snipe with the new lap record thing.

One of my favorite runs had me vying for first place on Gauntlet, where I crashed into the guy in first, knocking us both out, then Boosting past them to take first

Was a few seconds off of a New Lap Record though :argh:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mooey Cow posted:

yeah that blew my mind as a kid. i remember writing down the code out of a magazine at the bookstore then running home to enter it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i tried playing this on pc with the gog version last year but i couldnt get it to boot

thats my story

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCL1S_gjTw

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Kaysette posted:

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBiKGc9ZOl4

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I’d make this my ringtone if I ever let my phone ring.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Anakin also hums the opening Star Wars titles from time to time

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoUF7h-EpzE

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The quality of some of these videos wounds my soul

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

chuba

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I was an Ebe Endecott man, myself. I liked his blue engines with the big cadillac fins.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I tend to use the track favorite to spice things up

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I loved this game. I also only ever played as Anakin because I was basic as hell

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PittTheElder posted:

I loved this game. I also only ever played as Anakin because I was basic as hell

picking anakin in episode 1 racer is worse than picking mario in mario kart

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Big ups to my boy dud bolt, who every time I've played through this game has gotten me halfway through before I jump to a better racer

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Speleothing posted:

I was an Ebe Endecott man, myself. I liked his blue engines with the big cadillac fins.

hell yeah

ebe is also a good challenge racer since his turning sucks really hard. don't play as the good pilots the AI can't deal w/ it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Sebulba was best because he had a flamethrower

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

sebulba kicked rear end but iirc you didnt unlock him until late.... and yeah bullseye navior was my dude, perfect mix of acceleration speed and handling. sebulba's handling was a little rough

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Yeah, IIRC Sebulba had strong base stats but you got him so late that he was really expensive to upgrade after you'd already invested in the lower-tier racers. His fire was cool, but hard to actually hit with and I'm not sure it did anything to CPU racers anyway?

Ben Quadinaros was my favourite gimmick choice. He was made of glass and handled like poo poo, but if you could wrangle him into staying on the track he was insanely fast.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sebulba could only shoot fire out of the right side which made it not work half the time and was real disappointing. Why couldn't he have shot fire out of both sides?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Sebulba's pod made that awesome "chuum chuum chuum chuum" sound and that makes him superior to all others.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIQgCPaPPjg

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I actually did end up picking this up during the Steam sale and guess what, it's still fun. Great sense of speed and cool track design; it's a shame nobody's come out with a modern successor.

The level of rubberbanding is almost comedic tho.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 28, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Several people already mentioned that Abyss (the final Ord Ibanna track) is bullshit and I agree, but somehow it's still not quite my least favorite in the game. One of the jungle tracks seems to consist entirely of 90-degree corners and hairpin turns, which wouldn't be a problem if the AI actually had to slow down for those turns like you do.

Also, the Dreamcast version cuts out Watto humming the cantina song, making it officially the worst version of the game

edit: Bullseye Navior is the best podracer. His handling is twitchy as gently caress, but it kinda has to be on some of those later tracks.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol unironically thank you wookieepedia

quote:

In 19 BBY, Skywalker, now a Jedi Knight, had a copy of "The Sport's Greatest Rivalry" hung on the wall of his personal quarters in the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant.[12] In 2 BBY,[13] Jedi Padawan Ezra Bridger had an altered version of the poster on the wall of his cabin on the VCX-100 light freighter known as the Ghost. The poster was cropped to only show Quadinaros and his vehicle.[14]

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Doc M posted:

edit: Bullseye Navior is the best podracer. His handling is twitchy as gently caress, but it kinda has to be on some of those later tracks.

thats what I'm sayin!!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

elf help book posted:

picking anakin in episode 1 racer is worse than picking mario in mario kart

Pick him and spam the taunt button.

I don't really remember much about this game but I did get it to 100%.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Podracer tier list

Best: Dud Bolt

Worst: the rest

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

The secret characters were the girl from rogue one and a baseball player.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Jazerus posted:

hell yeah

ebe is also a good challenge racer since his turning sucks really hard. don't play as the good pilots the AI can't deal w/ it

Awwwww gently caress, is that why I lost to my brother every time?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bought and replayed the whole thing and the horrible truth is that Mars Guo is probably not actually very good. It might have to do with his size, but he seems way more fragile than anyone else I used. Still, I kept to my guns and played him throughout, barring the Invitational (which wasn't actually that hard*) and that one loving swamp map with its multiple, back-to-back hairpins.

*But it definitely had the coolest track in the game in The Gauntlet.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mordja posted:

*But it definitely had the coolest track in the game in The Gauntlet.

Gauntlet has one of my favorite skips

Timing it right so you can launch yourself again saves a fair bit of time too

Dethro's Revenge also has a fun one that I only found by accident after being forced off the map route during a practice run

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vinylshadow posted:

Timing it right so you can launch yourself again saves a fair bit of time too

Dethro's Revenge also has a fun one that I only found by accident after being forced off the map route during a practice run
I caught the Dethro's one right away but had no idea about the former. Cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

hell yeah