Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember playing the original for NES at my cousin's, too damned hard.

Then years later I played Symphony of the Night. I know that game forward and back and it's so damned good. The other metroidvanias that followed are wonderful too...except OoE, I never got into it I guess. I think I like Aria of Sorrow the best, highly refined gameplay that was the peak of the GBA. Didn't have shoehorned touchscreen gimmicks like Dawn did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Yesterday I found out spotify has a bunch of Castlevania songs on there, so my gardening was done with some suitably epic music in the background. Bloody Tears while watering my cucumbers? Oh yeah.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I really wish I could play the game that I imagined Simon's Quest would be when I read about it in a copy of Nintendo Power as a kid. The idea of an open-world platform game which doesn't tell you what's going on, doesn't hold you by the hand, doesn't gate a load of stuff behind upgrades and just lets you wander around and find clues and figure stuff out for yourself is really appealing. To my mind Hollow Knight is the only modern game I've really seen that gets that formula right.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Whybird posted:

I really wish I could play the game that I imagined Simon's Quest would be when I read about it in a copy of Nintendo Power as a kid. The idea of an open-world platform game which doesn't tell you what's going on, doesn't hold you by the hand, doesn't gate a load of stuff behind upgrades and just lets you wander around and find clues and figure stuff out for yourself is really appealing. To my mind Hollow Knight is the only modern game I've really seen that gets that formula right.

la mulana

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite Castlevania is Blasphemous.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Genpei Turtle posted:

It’s dumb pointless trivia, but in Japan both of those games are called the same name as the mainstream Castlevania games, they just got non-“Castlevania”names in their respective localizations for some reason.

In fact, there are no fewer than five different games with exactly the exact same name as the original Castlevania in Japan: the Famicom version, the MSX2 version, the arcade version, the Super Famicom version (localized as Super Castlevania IV) and the X68000 version, which never got ported.

I’m probably in the minority but I really like that last one in particular. I like the limited move set and less “agile” for lack of a better word play style of the original NES games and the X68000 version is a refinement of those with a great soundtrack and visuals.

The X68000 version did get ported! It came to the PS1 as Castlevania Chronicles and even got a US release. It’s a cool little game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

ghostinmyshell posted:

Not the best experience of course, but the castlevania collections are $5 each on PSN this week. It's a treat watching my wife play SOTN for the first time. I think she's hooked and will try the GBA/DS ones next.

Update: She beat SOTN, tore through Aria of Sorrow and started up Dawn of Sorrow immediately after. I let her walk into all the bad endings. This has been a blast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I Am The Wind is a good song.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I finished order of ecclesia. I dunno...the last 3rd was a bit of a slog for me, and the two optional super hard areas were kind of blah. Just a weird loss of momentum during the final few hours. Still glad I played it though

I'm having a lot of fun playing through the first castlevania repeatedly when I have the time and desire. Start from scratch, do a level or two, put the switch to sleep mode. Pick it up and push a little further. Get to the end, start over.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

For anyone looking to scratch the classic Castlevania itch, Circle of the Moon 2 is available and pretty freaking awesome.

You can play as a corgi inside a suit of armor empowered by alchemists, it rules.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Fancy Hat posted:

For anyone looking to scratch the classic Castlevania itch, Circle of the Moon 2 is available and pretty freaking awesome.

You can play as a corgi inside a suit of armor empowered by alchemists, it rules.

It's great and so far a bit tougher than the first game

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Just started playing SotN for the first time finally and man, that game is every bit as excellent as everyone always said it is—until the second half!

I was having a blast exploring and enjoying the casual (but not completely trivial) action, then all of a sudden all of the enemies swarm and soak up a shitload of damage and shoot/throw poo poo at you. I was miserable misting around until I looked up where to farm a “good” sword. Then instead of just making things a little easier to deal with, now the bosses barely even register since they’re done in like 3 hits! Really weird/poor balance compared to the first half. Plus it loses a lot of the fun of discovery... curious if it’ll pull together for me at the end.

Think this might end up kind of like Dark Souls where I replay the first half every couple of years and then abandon it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Has there been any word of a Castlevania Collection 2?

I still bust out the first one every so often as a de-stresser, and I was hoping the next one might give us:

Rondo of Blood
Symphony of the Night (which I still have never played since I've only ever had Nintendo consoles)
Legends
Circle of the Moon

And maybe the N64 games (which I only ever played as a kid and got insanely frustrated with)

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Bumping this old thread to declare that as a non CV fan, Circle of the Moon kicks rear end in the Advance Collection on Switch. I've been rewind scumming for cards and I'm floored by the mechanics they hid away there. The controls and combat feel mega solid, and whip feels incredible after a few hundred failed runs of Spelunky 2.

Seriously hoping they port the DS series soon.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Playing Castelvania II on the Anniversary Collection, I can't believe it's only just now hitting me how blatantly it's chasing Zelda II, from the towns, the opaque hints, the slightly off-brand levels ("palaces" in Zelda II; "mansions" in Castlevania II), the more personal storylines reflected in their subtitles ("The Adventure of Link"; "Simon's Quest"), the subtext about aging (Link becoming an adult; Simon entering middle age), it's all pretty obvious once you notice it.

Of course, it took me over 20 years to realize Ninja Gaiden was a faster Castlevania so maybe I have a blindspot with NES tropes.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Playing Castelvania II on the Anniversary Collection, I can't believe it's only just now hitting me how blatantly it's chasing Zelda II, from the towns, the opaque hints, the slightly off-brand levels ("palaces" in Zelda II; "mansions" in Castlevania II), the more personal storylines reflected in their subtitles ("The Adventure of Link"; "Simon's Quest"), the subtext about aging (Link becoming an adult; Simon entering middle age), it's all pretty obvious once you notice it.

Of course, it took me over 20 years to realize Ninja Gaiden was a faster Castlevania so maybe I have a blindspot with NES tropes.

It's actually a lot more like Maze of Galius.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

Bumping this old thread to declare that as a non CV fan, Circle of the Moon kicks rear end in the Advance Collection on Switch. I've been rewind scumming for cards and I'm floored by the mechanics they hid away there. The controls and combat feel mega solid, and whip feels incredible after a few hundred failed runs of Spelunky 2.

Seriously hoping they port the DS series soon.

Circle of the Moon fuckin rocks and the only issue I have with it is the need to double tap to dash everywhere, wtf dudes, why wouldn't you just make that the standard way to move :psyduck:

The soundtrack also has some high points too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgp9JVwu_iI

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The CotM remake telling you straight-up which enemies drop cards is a godsend and modern console sleep and save state functionality makes grinding until you’re stupidly overpowered quick, easy, and a great way to fall asleep after a long day. I really hope they do the DS games with the same level of care.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I hope they rerelease Dawn of Sorrow with zero touchscreen functionality, you just kill a boss and it dies like nature intended

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There’s nothing you can do with extra armors in CotM right? I’m just going to be mocked for my grinding by dozens of Bronze Armors clogging my inventory the whole game?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I played through Harmony of Dissonance with Maxim and I honestly think I liked it more that way.

Also what happened with that game's music? It's extremely bad.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I played through Harmony of Dissonance with Maxim and I honestly think I liked it more that way.

Also what happened with that game's music? It's extremely bad.

It's been openly acknowledged that the musical quality was sacrificed in order to focus more on the visual aspects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

There’s nothing you can do with extra armors in CotM right? I’m just going to be mocked for my grinding by dozens of Bronze Armors clogging my inventory the whole game?

Not a ding dong thing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

blatman posted:

I hope they rerelease Dawn of Sorrow with zero touchscreen functionality, you just kill a boss and it dies like nature intended

Those seals suck rear end but the rest of the game is so goddamn good

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Aria of Sorrow is an absolute masterpiece, I had so much fun replaying this one.

100% on the castle, currently at about 60% on souls collected and I'm actually motivated to try and get the rest.

Here's a question - did anyone else as a kid assume that Claimh Solais helped boost soul capture rate? I mean, it sounds like Claim Souls, it just makes sense. I think the other thing was I started going back through older parts of the castle with a much high luck stat, so I was finding more souls anyone and just assumed my sword had something to do with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The completely insanely broken nature of the luck stat in both Soma Cruz games is the one thing dragging them down.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bear named tators posted:

Just started playing SotN for the first time finally and man, that game is every bit as excellent as everyone always said it is—until the second half!

I was having a blast exploring and enjoying the casual (but not completely trivial) action, then all of a sudden all of the enemies swarm and soak up a shitload of damage and shoot/throw poo poo at you. I was miserable misting around until I looked up where to farm a “good” sword. Then instead of just making things a little easier to deal with, now the bosses barely even register since they’re done in like 3 hits! Really weird/poor balance compared to the first half. Plus it loses a lot of the fun of discovery... curious if it’ll pull together for me at the end.

Think this might end up kind of like Dark Souls where I replay the first half every couple of years and then abandon it.

I literally just beat the game for the first time today (basically did all of the first half the other day, second half today) and had a similar though maybe less severe experience. The inverted castle is a bit of a mess because without any intended sequence you just kinda blunder across new gear and hope for the best. I didn't have problems dealing damage for the most part (though damage type did start to matter a bit more), but I ran into a handful of difficulty spikes where certain enemies would hand me my rear end. In my case, it was because I managed to miss the single arbitrary corridor that happens to have Alucard's armor down it and didn't find it until I had basically looped through pretty much the entire rest of the place. Any other trouble was because I didn't realize what the Dragon Helm actually was and never put it on until about 60% of the way through.

The Dark Souls comparison is very, very apt. I'm honestly surprised I don't hear more people directly compare the two, even beyond the weaker second half.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

After I played through most of the Metroids, I decided to give Castlevania a try, and I've been playing through Symphony of the Night, I think I'm a fair bit over halfway through. It's interesting playing old games so you can see where a lot of ideas of newer games came from.

So I think now I can say that my favorite Castlevania is Dark Souls.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

After I played through most of the Metroids, I decided to give Castlevania a try, and I've been playing through Symphony of the Night, I think I'm a fair bit over halfway through. It's interesting playing old games so you can see where a lot of ideas of newer games came from.

So I think now I can say that my favorite Castlevania is Dark Souls.

Whips aren't very viable in that though

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Currently playing Circle of the Moon on my Mister, and Camilla is really kicking my rear end. Partly I guess I just need to git gud, but my 8bitdo controller is also so often unresponsive that I miss jumps and hits all the time. Argh. Well, I guess I have to buy that Switch Pro controller that I've been thinking about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tac Dibar posted:

Currently playing Circle of the Moon on my Mister, and Camilla is really kicking my rear end. Partly I guess I just need to git gud, but my 8bitdo controller is also so often unresponsive that I miss jumps and hits all the time. Argh. Well, I guess I have to buy that Switch Pro controller that I've been thinking about.

Camilla is hard as heck.

Actually basically all the bosses in Circle of the Moon after the first few are hard as heck. Cruel game

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

Camilla is hard as heck.

Actually basically all the bosses in Circle of the Moon after the first few are hard as heck. Cruel game

With every CoM boss until now I feel like I've at least made some progress after a few tries, but not with Camilla. I just keep bumping into those bubbles and always get hit by the lightning underneath her. Also difficult to even to get into position for a hit, as I tend to mess up the double jumps/whip timing. In Aria of Sorrow you at least had the relief of healing items (that's how I beat the Grim Reaper), but CoM is also very sparse with those.

However, I still have to say that I've enjoyed all the bosses in CoM a lot so far.

Tac Dibar fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 16, 2021

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Camilla's tough but also probably the easiest boss to cheese with (spoilers if you don't want to trivialize it for yourself) Jupiter + Manticore poison cloud, just park on the top platform and walk away

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My initial impression of Circle of the Moon (just beat the Iron Golem, starting cleanup with the walljump) is that the map flow is really, really weird. Bordering on frustrating with how many early paths instantly terminate with yet another wacky bespoke pseudo-lock. I'm infinitely better at the game than when I first tried it and basically immediately gave up at least (decent odds I was a dumbass and using an elemental whip against the first boss).

I'm using the two QoL hacks for it, which also help a ton. I can't imagine forcing myself through this with the default run behavior and needing to farm cards.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Circle of the Moon has several powerups that are just fancy door unlockers, which is fine, but they're also really boring door unlockers and it can be hard to parse out where to go such as a lot of players struggling to figure out how to progress in the mid game and occassionally just skipping entire sections of the castle unintentionally

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just beat the zombie dragons, have backtracked to as many brown boxes as i can find, and now have idea what to do lol. i've been hoping to play through all six Advance + DS games in order but might bail on CotM soon. there are so many cool things about it but yes, leaping across that map is a little rough and the gates are pretty obtuse. i wish the map would at least tag them or allow the player to do so. there's no way i'd make it without the rewind feature since potions are so scarce. drat dragons had a LOT of hp

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you did Dragons you're supposed to Death next but can skip him and go straight to Camilla (like a lot of people do because thanks Circle of the Moon).

Death's area is to the far left of the map on the long horizontal corridor you traverse thats roughly dead in the middle of the map. If you think of the top of the map as up, that middle lines is higher than the long pit you fall in at the start of the game. Go as far left as you can and there will be a route down further from there leading to deaths area.

Ooooor just google search for the circle of the moon map like I have to do every time I replay it.

Edit: Order of Ecclesia isn't my favorite but its acknowledgement that everyone in that village is technically a Belmont was rock solid and made me want a Castlevania blood line simulator. You know, like rogue legacy but good and not a roguelike

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 17, 2021

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

^^^^
A CV game with Dragon Valor's generation system would be great

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like I keep beating a lot these Circle of the Moon bosses by accident and/or stubbornness rather than understanding any particular strategy.

Also the hell was with Death's second phase?

Also I didn't realize I could slide by default this whole fuckin time. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah what is and isn't a default move is messy over the handheld games. Is down kicking in air a special thing, part of a different special thing, or innate?

Death phase 2 is wild yet way way easier than phase 1 for me.

If you're playing on PS4/Xbox and want the all magic spells just use the trick involving the 2nd unlockable class because 100% gently caress doing it legit