Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

By popular demand posted:

D. Find yourself a good hiding place (maybe up a tree) and observe the unfolding situation.

Right now it's too dangerous to act but on the other hand we can't leave this motherfucker and just hope he meets his end.
Eventually he'll either open himself to a sneak attack or else the beastmen come and we sneak away.

Voting for this.

Tetrodo
Oct 21, 2010
I'll go with D.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Gloat

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
4. Trapping the Trapper

Artist: Piotr Chrzanowski

The horse's neighing is deafening. It's clearly in great pain. You use the distraction to move to a better hiding place.

Eventually, even Hartmann can stand it no longer. He sighs, and points his pistol at his faithful companion's head.

"I'm sorry, old girl"

The BANG cuts off the cries.

But as soon as the Templar starts reloading his pistol, another cry rings out from the woods. A blood-curdling braying comes from the south.

A Beastmen hunting party.

Hartmann curses under his breath, and puts the pistol away, unloaded. He draws his sword again, and tries to hack away at the rope. You can't let this happen.

Picking up a shiny pebble, you ready your sling. The witch hunter can't fire back this time.

You're used to much smaller, faster targets than a tied up Templar. The rock cuts through Hartmann's sleeve on his right arm, tearing the skin beneath. Blood start to soak his leather jacket.

He looks around, and sees you standing, no longer afraid.

"You were looking for Chaos, herr Hartmann. Here it comes."

The witch hunter stares you down, and puts his sword away, pulling his pistol out. You've managed to really piss him off.

[Profession unlocked: Witch Hunter]

His right hand moves slower than usual, but he still manages to reload.

Your second pebble goes wide, hitting the dead horse's body.

Hartmann's pistol is much more accurate. The bullet hits you square on the cheek, shatters your teeth, and comes out the other side. Your mouth fills with blood and broken bone. You fall to your knees, the pain searing through your body like nothing you've felt before.

"loving peasants", the witch hunter mutters, as he tries to reload his pistol again.

The braying is much closer now. Forcing yourself upright, you stumble north, as far away from the sounds of the hunt as you can. A bullet flies by your head, but you keep moving.

"What have you done? By Sigmar, what have you-"

Hartmann's words are dwarfed by the ROAR of the Ungor trampling into the stream. You run, holding your mouth, blood trickling down your arm. It is done. Eschborn is avenged.

You've never run this far, this fast. The sounds of the hunt are far behind you.

Suddenly, to your left, you hear high-pitched braying. drat. The Ungor to the south weren't the main force, they were driving you to it. You look left, and see them. Death in their eyes, a herd of Gor pour out of the wood, surrounding you. The leader stares you down, his horns slick with blood, his axe drawn.

You can see at least twenty Beastmen, their weapons ready, and Sigmar knows how many hide behind the trees.

You draw your dagger and charge.

"For Eschborn! For Sigmar!"

---

Who will you be next?

A. A Reiklander Prospector (Miner career)

B. A Reiklander Witch Hunter Apprentice (Witch Hunter career)

C. A Reiklander Fortune Teller (Mystic career)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A. Now that we got the vengeance game out of the way let's go for gold! (Or whatever valuable rock we can get)

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
C

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

...Victory? :confuoot:

C.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Worth it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Who the hell WATCHES someone load a pistol, aim it AND shoot it without getting behind a tree trunk, SMH

C

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

C

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A

We'll do full chaos a bit later.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Toughy posted:

Who the hell WATCHES someone load a pistol, aim it AND shoot it without getting behind a tree trunk, SMH

We were slinging rocks at him at the same time. It just turns out that a veteran witch hunter is a better shot than a trapper.

Also I need y'all to decide between A and C already, we're at 4 to 4 votes.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.1. Selling the Future

Artist: Fernanda Suarez

You toss the rope from the last river barge to cousin Pesha, and jump down yourself. It looks like a good place to make camp for a while.

The men around you are busy tying the barges off and setting up the tents. This is the... seventh? eighth? camp you've had to make this past year, so they've been getting practice. Pesha and the others have even started to make bets on who can finish their barge the fastest.

Dika jumps down with you. Your sister's so small that the barge doesn't even rock when she's gone. You try to tousle her hair, but she dodges your hand and sticks out her tongue at you. You smile, noting that her lessons with aunt Vadoma are paying off: the kid's faster than a demon by now.

Baba Tsera calls out from the largest tent, the first one the men have put up.

"Girls, come! No time to idle"

You know Baba Tsera isn't really your grandma, but she likes feeling like an old wise woman from stories, so you oblige her. You don't have much actual family left anymore. It's pretty much just you and Dika now. But no one in the caravan has ever treated you two as anything less than kin, so Baba Tsera is as close to your grandma as it gets.

You join the other women in the main tent, and listen to your marching orders.

"As soon as the men set up and eat, we go to the town. There is work to be had, you just need to take it. But remember, Strigany aren't welcome here. All sorts of superstition up and down the Reik about us. Don't show your back to the locals". She turns to you. "Myrela, Pesha will stand guard while you ply your trade."
"I want Dika there with me. She's got the sight."
The caravan leader looks your sister over.
"Little one, you think you're ready to help your sister?"
Dika nods eagerly.
"We've been practicing signals", you add. "She's a good lookout, and an extra pair of eyes never hurts."
"Hmph. Alright, then, girls, time to earn your keep."

You and Dika drag your crate from the barge, and start preparations. Earrings, bracelets, rings - all fake, but all so very necessary. It's never enough to tell the locals what the cards actually say, they need to hear it from an exotic mystic to believe any of it. Burning sage for the pleasant smoke, "artifacts" behind you, and course, the crystal ball. Reiklanders love the crystal ball. Best five copper you've ever spent.

Once you and Dika are ready, the caravan heads into town. This one's the same as all the others: beggars crowding anyone with even a sliver of gold on them, armed guards clearing the way for the fat mayor, and so very many stares from the peasants. The Strigany are here, hide your children! The cursed travellers bring the undead with them!

Sometimes you wish any of that was true. You wish you had the kind of power that Reiklander tales granted you: to curse their men with one look, to bind womenfolk to whoever pays best, to raise the dead from their graves and to steal children's souls. It sounds so much easier than trying to read what the cards say about yet another burgher's prospect of cheating on his wife.

Pesha sets up your stall in a sufficently mystical corner of the town square. Strigany aren't allowed to work in most markets, or they'd drive all the local trader out of business! So you make do.

The sage is lit, your mother's cards are laid out, and Dika runs around, calling out your business.

"Get yer fortune! Only ten copper! Come see the future!"

Eventually, Dika finds a mark, dragging a young man towards the stall. He is nervous, and clearly hesitant about asking a traveller for help. Behind his back, Dika signs to you: student, woman, sad, rich, husband.

"Come", you say to the man, "let the wise Strigany help ease your pain. What troubles you so, reader of books?"
His eyes light up. "You know that I'm a student?"
"I know a great many things, those of times past, and those of times yet to come. Tell me, does your heart ache for one you cannot have?"
He's hooked. "I do, oh, fortune teller, I do so! Will we ever be together?"
You hold out your hand. "To gaze into the future is not cheap, my dear"
"Of course, of course". He puts a handful of coins into your hand. You hide them before he changes his mind, and take out your mother's cards.
"Touch the deck, and I shall tell you what lies in store."

He does so, and you lay the cards on the table. A simple love question, you've done this literally thousands of times by now. One after the other, the cards reveal his fortune.

Wait. poo poo. This isn't what you asked. Yes, his woman loves him, but that's not the important piece of information here. The cards' message is remarkably clear: this man will die. Tonight. In a fire.

What do you tell your customer?

A. This isn't your problem. There's no need to scare the boy. Just tell him that the woman loves him too, take his money, and move on.

B. The boy deserves to know! Warn him about fires.

C. The man's not long for this world. Spin a yarn, and get all the money you can from him, it's not like he's going to miss it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
C

OBVIOUSLY

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

D: He paid for his fortune, and gets to hear it. Tell him the woman loves him, and if he truly loves her he should be careful with fire tonight lest his love have no one to requite on the morrow.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

If this town is burning tonight then I’d rather minimize entanglements and start planning our escape. If their fate is to burn then I doubt we can save them. If we hustle them we might end up getting hassled by guards as we try to flee.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 30, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dog Kisser posted:

C

OBVIOUSLY

OBVIOUSLY

+1

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
A

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Lol at everyone else's answers:

B: because after a warning like this, we should be watching out for fires!

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
C

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
D invite him to a BBQ dinner

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

C , buttholes tell him the whole fortune.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.2. Robbing the Dead is a Victimless Crime

Artist: Ryan Lowe

"Oh, bookreader, I see great things in your future."
"My Heidi? She will be with me?"
"She will, as close as two lovers can be."

You flash a sign to Dika. She nods, and runs up to cousin Pesha, whispering to him. The snare is set. You don't even feel guilty about it, as far as you're concerned, you're just doing a little graverobbing a few hours early.

The boy's eyes are focused on you.

"There is more I could tell you, of course..." You let the pause hang until he gets it.

The boy immediately takes out another handful of coins. You sign to Dika: front, left, pocket. You gently take his hand, and hold it palm-up. Tracing the lines with your finger, you spin your yarn.

"Hardship I see, but also triumph. Your Heidi is kept from you, but with your wits, you will be with her."

The boy nods. In a flash, you pull out a pin and prick his finger. Before he can pull away, you squeeze a few drops of blood from his hand into a glass filled with alcohol. The blood dances in the liquid as he watches, entranced.

"Her blood yearns for your blood, her flesh yearns for your flesh, yet a great fortune stands between you."

A dash of sulfur, a flick of the wrist, and the glass burns.

"The fire within will clear the way to her, if you let it. And remember, in your darkest hour, that doubt is your greatest enemy."

The boy is eating out of the palm of your hand. He can't look away from the small fire. Every good prophecy deserves a little bit of drama.

A moment passes, and he finally gets up from your table, thanking you profusely.

"I wish you well in your endeavours, book reader. Do come back."

As he turns around, Pesha trips and falls onto him. He brushes himself off, apologizes, and helps the student up. You barely even notice your cousin's hand brush by his front left pocket. You watch as the student mixes with the crowd before signaling your crew. This was a risky play, and you can't stay here any longer than you absolutely have to.

Pesha packs up the stall, while you look through your mother's cards. You hear Dika's voice behind you.

"Let me go, Reiklander swine!"

You spin around to find three armed men casually strolling up to your stall. The largest one is holding Dika by the wrist.

"I see the travellers are in town. Witchery comes with you folk."

Pesha tenses up next to you, his hand moving to a hidden dagger. You gently place your hand on his shoulder, calming him down.

"No witches here, herrs. Just peddling our wares."

The leader's one-eyed crony sniffs around the stall.

"Seems like witchy wares to me, cap'n. Chaos sort, this."

The man in charge grins at you.

"You know we don't take kindly to Chaos worshippers here in Grissenwald, traveller". He points to Dika, still trying to get out of his grip. "And this one's a handful, too. Quick hands, sharp tongue. Got herself an apple."
"We don't want any trouble, herrs. Just a few merchants passing through town."

The third man, much fatter than the other two, pipes up.

"Ha! No trouble? We know your type, don't we, cap'n? Thievery in your blood". He spits on the ground. "Thieves and liars to the last."
"Now-now, Gerhard, these folk don't want trouble" The captain pretends to think. "I tell you what. You give us your day's take, and there won't be any trouble. Call it a... stall fee."

Pesha is ready to pounce. In a way, he's right. It's your job to feed the caravan. Last time either of you ate was two days ago, and only because Pesha got lucky fishing.

But there are three of them! Fuckers got swords, and you know no one in this godsforsaken town will lift a finger to help a few Strigany.

What do you do?

A. You can't buy food if you're dead. Hand the money over.

B. The caravan needs this money more than these fat thugs. Signal Dika for a distraction, and show these pampered fools how a cornered rat fights.

C. Reiklanders love their superstitions. Play into that and threaten them with a curse.

D. You got another plan.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
We leaned into the locals' magical superstition in the last vote, so now we have to lean into it to get out of the situation we've created.

We know that a fire's coming...

D - Offer to read their palms for free, knowing that a fire will be coming tonight.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Lux Animus posted:

D - Offer to read their palms for free, knowing that a fire will be coming tonight.

This.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Lux Animus posted:

We leaned into the locals' magical superstition in the last vote, so now we have to lean into it to get out of the situation we've created.

We know that a fire's coming...

Important note: the only way we get actual information about the future is our mother's tarot cards. Everything else, from palm reading to reading blood is entirely window dressing.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Ah - well change that vote to "Offer to read their fortunes for free, knowing a fire is coming" like I'd intended.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
2.3. The Tower and the Hanged Man

Artist: Paolo Puggioni

"Now, captain, herrs, I think you're talking yourself out of a pretty sweet deal here."

The trio looks at each other, amused at the upstart Strigany in front of them.

"How so?", the Captain asks.
"Here you stand, in the presence of the greatest teller of fortunes from Altdorf to Nuln, and all you ask for is money? Seem like a missed opportunity to me."

The Captain leans closer to you. His goons aren't as interested. The fat one spits on the ground again.

"Fortune telling? That's witchery, cap'n."
"Be quiet, Gerhard, I want to hear what the traveller has to say."

One down, two to go.

"Counts and barons ask for the guidance of my cards, kind herrs. Once, I even told fortunes at the Emperor's own court. I pointed out traitors in his majesty's midst, for Sigmar himself spoke through my cards. Would Karl Franz, Protector of the Empire, dabble in witchery, herr Gerhard?"

The Captain turns to the fat man.

"You callin' the Emperor a witch-lover?"
"N-no, cap'n."
"Then shut up and let the lady talk."

You're a "lady" now. A solid improvement.

"So what're you proposin'?"
"Simple. A few minutes ago, we were ready leave. But if you permit me, I would like to read each of you a fortune before we go. Free of charge, of course. Would you like to peel the veil back on your past and your future? See what the hand fate has prepared for you? Know what the future holds in store?"

The one-eyed man looks at the Captain in disbelief.

"Cap'n, you're not seriously considering this? There's money on the table!"
"We can get money from any old cabbage peddler, you idiot. This, this is more than money." He looks at your cards. "Alright, then. Three fortunes, and we never saw you." He pushes Dika towards you.

You smile graciously and nod at Pesha, who starts setting up the table. Dika pulls out the crystal ball and the sage, while you shuffle your mother's cards.

Soon, the men sit in front of you, and the cards are dealt. Even the Captain's cronies, reserved at first, have fully committed themselves to the fortune telling process. You pull out all the stops: candles, blood reading, palmistry, and even smoke inhalation. By the end, these three are eating out of the palm of your hand. It's time to deal the cards.

The Tower. It comes up again and again. Catastrophe. The student is not the only one who will die in a fire tonight. All three of these men are doomed.

What do you tell the men?

A. Tell the truth. They are to burn tonight. They deserve to know that much.

B. Placate them with false hopes. Riches and love, and most of all, respect. Play to their ego.

C. Scare them with tales of horrors from beyond the grave. These men hosed with the caravan, they threatened your sister. First, they will fear, and then, they will die.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B - If we were to tell these men the truth (or to curse them) word would get around about what we said just before the fire broke out.

This false reading will be what protects us from claims of witchery in the future... provided we make it out of here alive.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

If we keep telling people of the catastrophe they'll just think we were part of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B give em them the bullshit they want to hear so they'll gently caress off.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

B There really isn't any other choice here. We tell people what they want to hear, and use their REAL future to our own advantage. In this case, getting the hell out of here as soon as we can.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

chin up everything sucks posted:

B There really isn't any other choice here. We tell people what they want to hear, and use their REAL future to our own advantage. In this case, getting the hell out of here as soon as we can.

Yeah, I think the real issue here is the fire. Unless we somehow got the only two people in town who are going to burn tonight there's something huge about to go down. We'll probably get the blame. We should gtfo immediately. Pack up the camp and run as far away from here as possible.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B and be somewhere else asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
C