Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Oh, you're back. Don't bring that weird fish into the den! It's not proper breakfast food!

Add Ginger Spice for +1 whatever purple is, and feed that to SCRAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
As a quick reference, here's what each of the colours mean (though naturally they're OBVIOUS gosh)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Poet/Burnette
https://i.imgur.com/K0ndTaS.png

There once was a poet from Thrice
He gave his horror red spice
In went the tire
To build up its fire
To make horror battling more nice

https://i.imgur.com/nLs5Sim.png
https://i.imgur.com/xkNJyZz.png

Red +3, Blue +2

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"Aww Beanz™! I can't believe I nearly got turbotetanus for the worst dang plating I've ever seen. I bet I can salvage this salvage!"

Convert Implications to Bits+1 TN2: 1d6 4
Convert Bits+1 to Attitude+2 TN3: 1d6 5

"Ha HA! I knew it! Mess with the best, dine like the rest!"

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 7, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Horrors and their trainers prepared their meals with care and verve, ensuring the proper balance of spices to raw matter with the care and attention of master... cooking-people. Whatever. Look, they just fed their Horrors some crap they found, and now look at them!

Others opted against feeding their Horrors, either due to a Ruined Ingredient or the simple desire to guide their charge's adaptation...

While others rolled the dice and fed them Ruined stuff anyhow, with mixed results!

...And yet others encountered even darker ends...

Well anyhow, that went pretty well! No one died, at any rate. Next up, the Horrors needed to undergo Training to properly synergize their biomolecules or some poo poo. Unlike the Hunt, where the wranglers were at the mercy of what they could find, here there was a measure of control. In Training Phase, pick any Stat, and choose a Training Method. If you are successful, you will increase the chosen Stat by the value listed. Depending on the method chosen, there may be additional results for particular high success or particularly nasty failure. The Training Methods are listed below:
  • Lucky Lats - Roll any even-numbered die, from d4 to d20, after picking your Lucky Number! Gain bonuses to your chosen Stat according to the following table, and see changes to torso on success on double-digit die rolls:
    code:
    d4	d6	d8	d10	d12	d14	d16	d18	d20
    1	2	3	4	5	6	7	8	9
  • Rocket Reps - Roll 1d2. On a 2, gain +1 to the chosen Stat... or repeat, gaining a cumulative +1 on another 2. Repeat until satisfied or a 1 is rolled, losing everything! High success will see changes to legs.
  • Peeper Perspiration - Roll a number and type of dice according to the following table, and gain a bonus to your chosen Stat equivalent to every number in a set; however, take a penalty equivalent to every number in a non-set. High success will see changes to eyes and head.
    code:
    2	3	4	5	6
    d2	d4	d6	d8	d10	
  • Daredevil Dumbbells - Roll 1d4. On a 4, gain +1 to the chosen stat. On a 1, take -1 to the chosen stat. On a 2 or 3, roll again, increasing the magnitude of gain or loss by 1. High success or failure will see changes to the arms.
  • Lounging Lumbar - Gain 1 to to stat of your choice. Chance to gain a bigger tummy.

”Example Train Phase” posted:

My name is Mash Getchum and, uh, things are going totally great for me and Lukachew. Totally great!
So, uh, Lukachew, get going on that Peeper Perspiration and train up your Implications!
Roll 6d10 = 1,2,3,4,4,10
Set of 2 4's (+2), Non-Set of 4 (-4) = -2 to Implications
Ohhhhh no!

That’s it! It’s easy as 1-2-Ɛ!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 8, 2020

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Now that breakfast is over, it's now time for the traditional Spudder pre-brunch activity - daytime television.

Kewen Regicide... you are NOT the progenitor!
YOU get a mutation!... and YOU get a mutation!... you're spared... and YOU get a mutation!
Vatman finally emerges! Just in time to catch a TIE-Breaker to the face and a pair of horrors all lubricated with lipids.

Attitude via Peeper Perspiration: 10#1d6 = 1, 3, 4, 4, 2, 2, 4, 5, 1, 3

The eye strain isn't that bad. This counts as Attitude via Lounging Lumbar instead. +1 Attitude

In just a few time slots, SCRAM has already adapted to the couch potato lifestyle!

charms fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 8, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

- Guess what day it is?!

Rocket Reps [Awe]: 1d2 1

- ...No, it is not 'Slobber On The Carpet Day'.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Sid Nedious picked up and hugged Spawnma, getting his shoulder spattered in horror-dribble and snaggletoothed chewmarks.

"Poor Spawnma! I feel so bad about not having fed you anything that we'll just do a Lounging Lumbar, m'kay? We'll take it easy and then we'll see what we can feed ya later!"

Choosing to take the +1 to Implication. Fingers crossed for extra belleh.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Peeper Perspiration training Tricks: 10#1d6 6 6 5 1 5 5 4 3 4 5
13 44 55 55 66
4 Double Sets Minus 1 Non-Double Set = +3 Tricks

As the horror is dragged along by their owner they eye passing attractions with a bottomless hunger.

Entirely by accident the horror discovers that when it holds its breath and tries to huff it seem to get closer to the food. Meep continues the process with increasing intensity, optics bulging like a squeeze toy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Poet

Some say the world will end in implications
Some say in awe
From what I've tasted of tricks
I hold with those that favor bits
But if my horror had to eat twice,
I think I know enough of hunger
To say that for fulfillment awe
Is also great
And would suffice

Daredevil Dumbells- First, Bits/Green: 1d4 2
Daredevil Dumbells- Second, Bits/Green: 1d4 1

-2 Bits/Green

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"Ohhhh no.... Sprocket, what happened to you?! You're all hard, and, like, stiff and stuff! Was it what I fed you...(No, of course not: we love Sprocket!)?"

"Uh, ...quick! Pump some iron, Sprocket! That should help you limber up! I, er, I think you might have gotten a little too much iron in your diet..."

Daredevil Dumbbells (Attitude): 5#1d4 3 2 3 4 1 - Hooray, +4 Attitude (for 3 total)!

"There! Feeling better? Good Horror."

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

" I don't got time for this" Trik Fuckhead tossed the training pamphlet away and picked up a stick.
After an excessive amount of prodding Trik managed to goad Pek-Pek into the Lumbar Lounge and closed the gate.
"Imma get a bigass coffee, you just stay there and maybe you'll learn not to be a loser.... Not!"

:moments:
Lounging Lumbar to Attitude.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Well, Hee, you're starting to look pretty tough, but I think we could make you even more impressive! Let's try doing some, uh, wind sprints..."

Rocket Reps (Awe) #1: 1d2 1

"... or you could just stand there staring at me? I mean, I can't make you do anything, so... that's okay, I guess? It's okay. Just... please don't eat me oh Muscle Jesus"

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Time for some Peeper Perspiration to boost that Attitude, Cholmondeley.

Peeper perspiration 10d6: 10d6 3, 1, 5, 6, 3, 5, 2, 6, 6, 6

1 2 33 55 66 66, +3

Peeper Perspiration, attitude.: 6d10 6, 8, 7, 4, 7, 6

4 66 77 8

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 10, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Horror fans! My ongoing "bad-at-own-mechanics-that-i-invented" disease persists! Fixed some mistakes in last post, but crucially changed how the Peepers training works. [B]If you picked it, you're gonna have to reroll! You can also switch to a different training if you want! I promise this will be the only mechanical problem we have.

hahahhahaaaaaa :negative:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 12, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Just Some Intern

"Don't really know what it's doing. Probably shouldn't interfere, either."

Lounging Lumbar to Implications

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Sliem! You look awfun! Let's get you into proper shape. Let's try... Lucky Lats!

Lucky Lats Tn 15: 1d20 = 5

Aww, oh well!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

malbogio posted:

Peeper Perspiration training Tricks: 10#1d6 6 6 5 1 5 5 4 3 4 5
13 44 55 55 66
4 Double Sets Minus 1 Non-Double Set = +3 Tricks

As the horror is dragged along by their owner they eye passing attractions with a bottomless hunger.

Entirely by accident the horror discovers that when it holds its breath and tries to huff it seem to get closer to the food. Meep continues the process with increasing intensity, optics bulging like a squeeze toy.

Lucky Lats [Roll Lucky Number 20 for +9]: 1d20 19 Failure. (Also failed to declare I was targeting Tricks)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Kondo sees some good odds in training his eye stalks:

Peeper Perspiration: 6d10 32 [6d10=1, 4, 9, 5, 3, 10]

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Stare! Stare like the wind Hroomy!

Train Implications via Peeper Perspiration: 6d10 19

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Yasssssssss it's a new Dog Kisser game oooooo so nice. Best mini CYOA games ever now I can look forward to browsing this thread with every morning coffee.
Seriously you rock keep it up.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Ubern00b posted:

Yasssssssss it's a new Dog Kisser game oooooo so nice. Best mini CYOA games ever now I can look forward to browsing this thread with every morning coffee.
Seriously you rock keep it up.

Hey, thanks! It's always rad to get kudos even if just from someone reading! I will do my best to keep it up, because life is craaaazy!

Aiming for update tomorrow, incidentally. I think we have almost everyone, but worst case we'll just keep rolling along and skip the slowpokes!

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"Come on Pissmann, work those eyes! I want them to tell *sagas*!"

Peeper Perspiration (Implications): 6d10 24

"I'm not sure they're going anywhere yet, but keep it up bud!"

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 11, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Training took its toll on the Horrors, and look at them now!

Alright, the impact wasn't terribly dramatic (for the most part, didn't that one have EYES before this!?) , but every little bit counts, right? Right! And with the first day done, the budding Horrors settled down to sleep, or whatever passed for it among their kind. Did they dream of victory in the Horror Carnival? Gosh, I hope so! See you tomorrow!

The next day, bright and early, the Horrors and their Trainers went out to scrounge up something delicious! You know the drill by now, so get to it! The world of Cygnus-IV is your metaphorical oyster! An oyster was a prehistoric animal from Earth, back when Earth had animals!
  • Caphraxas Vale - Ah, the beautiful plains of Cygnus-IV's largest and least-populated continent. Since the Crisis wiped out most of the population some years back, the Vale has largely been reclaimed by nature. A wide variety of plants and animals can be found here, as well as a few other surprises from the old days. [Stats: BITS/IMPLICATION Danger Level: LOW]
  • Zon Mills Shopping Facilty and FunZome - There's nothing more depressing than a rundown old mall, and this is more rundown than most. Despite their boast that 7% of its stores are still operational, most of this place is eerie, grimy storage units and whatever wildlife managed to eke out a living here. Come for the bargains, stay for the mutant underclass that imprisons you for breeding stock! [Stats: TRICKS/ATTITUDE Danger Level: LOW]
  • Haunted Waste - Oh, it's not haunted. Ghosts aren't real. Named after Jedward D. Haunted, Cygnus-IV's last proper Governor, the Waste is a polluted mess of garbage and old munitions. Great if your Horror needs Iron in their diet! [Stats: ATTITUDE/AWE Danger Level: MEDIUM]
  • Orbital Boneyard - The smashed together remains of the O’Lon Treasure Fleet of One, orbital defenses, and a very unfortunate and ill-advised Zon entertainment station. In the decades since, its just gotten worse. Watch out for Skyfalls! [Stats: IMPLICATIONS/TRICKS Danger Level: MEDIUM]
  • The Gosh drat Blue - The largest body of water in Cygnus-IV, it has resisted both attempts at commercial fishing and at the imposition of an official name. The Blue is deep and dark, and even the rampant pollution of the old days did little but make it mad. A great vacation spot! [Stats: AWE/BITS Danger Level: HIGH]
  • Secure Zone Delta-4 - Do not go to SZD-4. There is nothing there. [Stats: ALL/ADDITIONAL SHENANIGANS Danger Level: DO NOT GO TO SZD-4]

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

C'mon Sliem, let's go to the boneyards!

Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 61

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"... you're probably hungry again, huh? Of course you are. Okay. Let's..."

A pause. An intake of breath.

"Aw, screw it! dude, no, I can't swear in front of the horror I mean, let's do it! Let's go to the Blue! I always wanted to see an ocean! ... before I die."

Hunt in the Gosh Darn Blue: 1d100 32

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Back to the boneyards: 1d100 1

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 49

"I need to rest and recharge my Kneez™, little buddy. Go take some tourist shots for me? I'll wait right here."

Blind Shelby takes a seat on an overturned bridge station, failing to observe the uniformed skeleton pinned underneath. She carefully unfolds the solar charging panels built into her Kneez™, then removes a pair of tiny bottles from the interior of the joint. Shelby dual-wields the bottles, spraying one over the panels, then blasting the moisture clear of them with the other.

Meep hops away with a "retro" camera held in their mouth. They wander aimlessly over the wrecks, taking a great many photos of their esophagus and the sky.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Just Some Intern

"Guess I should feed this thing for the day, before it eats me."

Caphraxas Vale: 1d100 80

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Sid Nedious and Spawnma, having had enough of can-related shenanigans, headed off to the Gosh Darn Blue for some relaxation and fishing.

It was gonna be jawsome!

Gosh Darn Blue: 1d100 20

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Lukachu

"Ah, wow - what a beautiful day to go to the old Orbital Boneyard, huh Sprocket? You can almost see the Gosh Dang Blue from here!"

"Now don't get too lost looking for scraps, Sprocket! Seriously though, cuz this place can get kinda bad at night..."

Sprocket vs Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 85

"Whoah! What's that you got there, boy! Bring it closer... (dang!)"

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Poet

Big blue horror time
The creatures are drat scary
Which will he eat there

Gosh Darn That Blue: 1d100 74

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Now get out of the house. No, get away from that, that's a thermonuclear land mine!

Haunted Waste: 1d100 = 4

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Day 2: The Gosh drat Blue: 1d100 37

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Sing the praises of night.

Secure Zone Delta-4: 1d100 38

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 14, 2020

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Where we're going we don't need eyes to see: Secure Zone Delta 4: 1d100 76

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Screaming Piss at the Orbital Boneyard: 1d100 9

"Dang it, Pisser! Is your snobb broken or something???"

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

• Rival Blue and Sliem ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Zark Trimble and Heliogabalus ventured into the Gosh drat Blue and found...

• Zyxsas and Cholmondely ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...gulp...

• Shelby Turpentine and Meep ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• J.S. Intern and Horror #1 ventured into Caphraxas Vale and found...

• Sid Nediuous and Spawnma ventured into the Gosh drat Blue and found...

• Lukachu and Sprocket ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Poet and Burnette ventured into the Gosh drat Blue and found...

• The Potentato and Scram ventured into the Haunted Waste and found...

• Linolea and Hopping Blorpus ventured into the Gosh drat Blue and found...

• Balthazar Hemifinch and the Hroom ventured into... gulp... ventured into Secure Zone Delta-4 and found...

• Shebbly Finkus and The Screaming Pisser ventured into the Orbital Boneyard and found...

• Kondo and their trainer ventured into... gulp... ventured into Secure Zone Delta-4 and found...
Ooh, a rare (and stupidly dangerous find) from SZD-4! White icon Ingredients grant bonuses to ALL Stats when consumed! Spices, however, can only be used on them on a 1d6 roll of 6, and even then grant only +1. I wouldn't, but hey, I'm just the guy!

You're experts at this by now! Let's move things along! Here's a quick reminder in case you're not so good at the ol' braining!

quote:

During Gourmet Phase, you may add one or more Horror Spices to any Ingredient you’ve turned up during Hunt Phase. If it’s of a like kind as the Ingredient, add +1 to the Stat Bonus. If it’s of a different kind, roll 1d6 and beat the magnitude of the Stat Bonus. A 6 always wins. If successful, the Ingredient’s kind changes to match the spice, and add +2 to the effect. This can be done multiple times - you can boost an Awe Ingredient with an Awe Spice for +1, then convert it to Implications for +2, then convert it to Bits for another +2, leaving you with a highly spiced Bits Ingredient with at least +5. This is a great way to spice up some lackluster Ingredients, but if you fail, you end up with a Ruined Ingredient. Now, you can still feed this to your Horror, but they might react poorly to it!
Oh, who's this friendly looking chap?

Why, it's the good old Organ Borrower, here to see if any of your Horrors could use a selection of choice meats/objects/trash from their travels. But bidding is fierce, and the Borrower takes their due no matter what! Be careful, and be bold! If you want to bid, put up at least 1 of any of your Horror's Stats and roll 1d10+(Stat Bid) for any or all of the Ingredients. You may do this multiple times, though each time will further damage your Horror's Stats. Crucially, only the winner will get the Ingredients, but all bidders will lose all Stat points they bid! When you roll, indicate whether you want to eat it right away (if you win) or save it for later. You can eat multiple Ingredients at once, should you have them, but certain Events down the line may benefit from having some on hand...

Organ Borrower Tutorial posted:

My name is Mash Getchum, and... Lukachew has seen better days. But it's okay, because this nice green guy has got some stuff for me. I'll just grab that Shiny Rock. Lukachew, I'll just... borrow some of your Attitude, if you don't mind...
BID 5 ATTITUDE
Roll [1d10+(5) EAT RIGHT AWAY] = 6
LOSE

Ohhhh nooo!

That’s it! It’s easy as 1-2-Ɛ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

https://orokos.com/roll/839306: 1d4-4 -2