Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I got a hand gesture for you OP :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know where you got this idea, maybe reading too any ironic online posts, but it's nonsense. As both an American and someone of Italian descent, absolutely nobody gives one flying gently caress. I have never in my life encountered the slightest actual racism over being Italian. To my knowledge, nobody in my entire extended family has either, at least since I've been alive. And we have a very Italian last name (some people mistakenly assume it's Hispanic, but none of us look it at all). There is zero unironic racism towards Italians in American popular culture, and nobody is really worried about it occurring either. The most that ever happens is a tepid joke about meatballs or Super Mario.

What you are describing is not a thing here and has not been a thing for decades. As for actual Italy Italians, I think you'd be hard pressed to be find many Americans who have any strong opinions about Italy at all outside the context of a vacation destination. I don't even have any strong opinions about it. I guess it's cool that my distant ancestors had a bitching empire at one point, and that they invented pizza.

ya whatever fredo :rolleyes:

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the weirdest thing that ever happened to me because of my wop ancestry is some black kids at school threatening to beat me up after 9/11 because I was 'arab'.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
When I was a kid reading 'the godfather', when michael goes to sicily to escape the fuzz, he notices that italians dont use handkerchiefs. They would just blow their snot onto the ground. At first he was gorssed out, but eventually got used to it

I was just like 'guess thats italians for you'

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I got your stereotypical Italian hand gesture right here, OP. Marone!

Also, Italians are like racism pioneers because Italian-Americans managed to develop a unique ecosystem of stereotypes independent from their original culture.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
mandela effect my dude. look it up

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Jojos Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind featured some of THE finest Italian piss-drinking in modern television. Just some absolutely sublime, S-tier piss chugging. Still warm.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

EA Sports posted:

the weirdest thing that ever happened to me because of my wop ancestry is some black kids at school threatening to beat me up after 9/11 because I was 'arab'.

Scorcese got back at them for you by dropping a hard N-Bomb in the beginning of The Departed for no reason.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's a me, Mario

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

EA Sports posted:

Were you Arab?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Methanar posted:

Do italians count as white now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meds are a distinct cultural and genetic group. Your idea of "white" is a 17th century Anglo concept, mutated and fermented in your tiny little American brains. Nobody but highly Americanized people in Europe think in terms of your broken brained racial system. Unfortunately your cancerous cultural exports have forced your slavery racial-hierarchy baggage on the old world anew.

Ask an Italian if they are white, they will laugh in your face and ask what the hell you're talking about.

The Bloop posted:

Not if you single them out as an ethnicity for slurs or other hate speech, for example

"Italian" is not an ethnicity. Italy is one of the least homogenous countries in Europe, notwithstanding migrants and diaspora from the third world.

Strategic Tea posted:

lol at the Americans going on about ~racism against Italians~. Italy is a G8 country and doesn't give a flying gently caress about primitive race theory from half the world away.

Discrimination against Italian-Americans, sure.

Try being racist against an actual Italian and they'll laugh in your face, then probably punch you.

This. Americans please just become fully isolationist. It has been made abundantly clear you are not capable of understanding that American culture (and it seems the only culture you have is obsessed with your simulacra of "race") ends at the border.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

Meds are a distinct cultural and genetic group. Your idea of "white" is a 17th century Anglo concept, mutated and fermented in your tiny little American brains. Nobody but highly Americanized people in Europe think in terms of your broken brained racial system. Unfortunately your cancerous cultural exports have forced your slavery racial-hierarchy baggage on the old world anew.

Ask an Italian if they are white, they will laugh in your face and ask what the hell you're talking about.

"Italian" is not an ethnicity. Italy is one of the least homogenous countries in Europe, notwithstanding migrants and diaspora from the third world.

This. Americans please just become fully isolationist. It has been made abundantly clear you are not capable of understanding that American culture (and it seems the only culture you have is obsessed with your simulacra of "race") ends at the border.

Ok smarty pants but are italians tite?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Ok smarty pants but are italians tite?

Tightest boypussy you'll ever gently caress

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
My only side adjacent stories of Italy are one, an Italian clothier who I bought some clothes from over the years he said if you ever go to Italy to hide your money and he wears a money belt. And two, my friend who went to Italy and got swarmed by Gypsy’s and his money stolen

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Do it ironically posted:

My only side adjacent stories of Italy are one, an Italian clothier who I bought some clothes from over the years he said if you ever go to Italy to hide your money and he wears a money belt. And two, my friend who went to Italy and got swarmed by Gypsy’s and his money stolen

Everyone I knew who went to Italy would talk about this poo poo endlessly growing up as if it was this inevitable unstoppable event that you were going to be pick pocketed if you go to Italy. Then I went and stayed in an air bnb in a pretty run down neighbourhood in Bologna and felt perfectly fine.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

the corona quid posted:

Everyone I knew who went to Italy would talk about this poo poo endlessly growing up as if it was this inevitable unstoppable event that you were going to be pick pocketed off you go to Italy. Then I went and stayed in an air bnb in a pretty run down neighbourhood in Bologna and felt perfectly fine.

Bologna is in the good part of Italy. Your experience would have been vastly different in Naples, and even Rome.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Italy has some S-tier pickpockets. My favorite was a team of that worked the Pisa train station that consisted of two urchins, a 14ish year-old girl and a baby.

They'd approach a mark with the girl muttering agitatedly. When she got close she'd toss the baby into the mark's arms (turns out CATCH BABY is real high in our lizard brain firmware). With his arms occupied at chest height the urchins dive into his pockets while the girl screams that there bad man is taking her baby. Mark gives the baby back and they all run away in different directions.

Edit: it was only a real concern around tourist attractions, naturally. No one is going to pickpocket you if they know you are poor like them.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 24, 2020

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dont Touch ME posted:

Bologna is in the good part of Italy. Your experience would have been vastly different in Naples, and even Rome.

I went to Rome as well. I would’ve understood Naples

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Note to self: never catch a baby in italy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If only American youths had this kind of drive and dedication

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

the corona quid posted:

I went to Rome as well. I would’ve understood Naples

But I'm betting you didn't go to the run down areas. Most places tourists go in Rome just have normal scams like friendship bracelets.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I also saw a lady holding a baby get hauled off the train in Rome where it became clear she had a custom built contraption that held the baby while her hands were free to pick pockets.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dont Touch ME posted:

But I'm betting you didn't go to the run down areas. Most places tourists go in Rome just have normal scams like friendship bracelets.

If I had the Italian hand gesture emoji I’d use it right now.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
:mediterranean fingers:

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Wait a minute....medi-terrain?

Like hobbits and dwarves??

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Inverted Icon posted:

Wait a minute....medi-terrain?

Like hobbits and dwarves??

It includes Greece, yes.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Don't forget to mention Turks and watch the fireworks fly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Americans get your poo poo out of here, real Italians are racist against dark skinned Italians and roma this way, not that way

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I got your emoji right here :kiss:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
eyy, i'm ratin' dis thread 5 outta respect

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

yikes! posted:

my opinion on italy is they shouldn't have jailed those seismologists

they should annex the vatican so they can take all the gold imo

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Waterbed Wendy posted:

What do swedish people say when their meatballs are too spice?

No one eats spicy meatballs in sweden, köttbullar is like minced beef and onion + salt and pepper, you eat it with potatoes and brunsås, not with pasta like the italians do.

And like its not like you order meatballs when on vacation if you are a swede, you go to the thai place. So like the percentage of swedes that has ever tasted a spicy meatball is probably very very low

I dont think younger swedes ever make meatballs tho, takes to much time to roll em all. Some people buy scan meatballs i guess but they are terrible.

And yeah where the hell is italian hand emoji, it rules. So someone get on that.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
i've had swedish meatballs and they were sweet and sticky

i was really jsut asking because that person's av is of the swedish meal time guy VVV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Wu3Bps9ic

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waterbed Wendy posted:

i've had swedish meatballs and they were sweet and sticky

Was this post workout?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

quote:

throwaway because he uses reddit and also because this is kind of embarrassing?

tl;dr - my boyfriend won't stop speaking in a stupid "tough guy" italian american accent and is starting to make up fake italian-sounding words. i'm really annoyed / worried if this might be a red flag

Okay to preface this, I love my boyfriend and he is a super sweet, nice, smart guy that I feel lucky to have but his behavior lately is freaking me out and makes me worried for the future.

My boyfriend loves movies, especially mob movies. He has all of the Sopranos DVDs at his place and I'm pretty sure he still watches them that way. That's fine, obviously you can watch and enjoy whatever you want. But last week he saw "The Irishman" with some friends and since then he will NOT stop talking in like a fake stereotypical mobster accent. We were in an uber the night after going out to dinner and admittedly the driver was going a little fast but my boyfriend kept muttering things like "Who's this loving guy, huh? Dale Earnhardt Jr over here" and shouting "HO!" as we took corners. He would NOT shut up and even gave the driver a one-star review saying it was about "respect."

Everyone has their quirks, I get it, and they can be what makes someone special. At first it was even kind of cute / funny but I just can't really understand this shift all of a sudden. It's been a week and he continues to make asides in this voice and when he gets drunk he speaks in made up Italian. Like we were having desert at my sister's and he came up to me and said "Hey, ma, I gotta get home and hit the drippini." I'm the DD (I don't drink) so I asked him why he wants to leave and what a drippini is ??? His response was "Ya know, like a shower." Drippini is NOT a word! In ANY language! He also never called me "ma" before ever and now he does it almost all the time. I feel crazy, like is this going to be a permanent feature of his personality now?

I know this sounds incredibly stupid compared to some of other serious issues on here but I am just really nervous about what this means about his personality / mental health. He really is a sweet loving guy with a wonderful family and we have a lot in common but just like, I don't even know how to begin to approach this. I want to tell him off and be like why do you keep doing this voice can you please stop. We don't live together so thankfully it's not a constant thing but like, what if we did and it was?? Is this the kind of thing you just deal with when its someone you love?

EDIT: I just want to add that he's NOT italian at all either so im also worried people will get offended when we're out or something

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Dont Touch ME posted:

This is correct and I applaud your efforts. However, I would say that Italians could be considered a 'mixed ethnicity', with multiple 'sub-ethnicities', if you wanted to be incredibly specific, such as Sicilians, or the various northern (and other) types stemming from the various kingdoms that were forced together to form modern Italy. The same could be said of Spain, with its Basques, Catalans, etc, forming a variety of ethnicities in Spain.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know where you got this idea, maybe reading too any ironic online posts, but it's nonsense. As both an American and someone of Italian descent, absolutely nobody gives one flying gently caress. I have never in my life encountered the slightest actual racism over being Italian. To my knowledge, nobody in my entire extended family has either, at least since I've been alive. And we have a very Italian last name (some people mistakenly assume it's Hispanic, but none of us look it at all). There is zero unironic racism towards Italians in American popular culture, and nobody is really worried about it occurring either. The most that ever happens is a tepid joke about meatballs or Super Mario.

What you are describing is not a thing here and has not been a thing for decades. As for actual Italy Italians, I think you'd be hard pressed to be find many Americans who have any strong opinions about Italy at all outside the context of a vacation destination. I don't even have any strong opinions about it. I guess it's cool that my distant ancestors had a bitching empire at one point, and that they invented pizza.

It's almost as if you completely misunderstood the post. I would advise you to read it again and reflect upon what was said.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The scene in Inglorious Basterds where they make the Italian hand gestures is my favorite scene in the movie.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Ah ma I gotta goa home n hit the drippini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Fallom posted:

Americans get your poo poo out of here, real Italians are racist against dark skinned Italians and roma this way, not that way

BTW DID I MENTION IM AN AMERICAN?? LET ME TELL U ABOUT MY RACE THEORIEZ LOL!!

By far the cringiest thing on the internet are Americans who think anybody outside of America cares about your dumb skin-tone gradient idea of "race". Nobody gives a gently caress, you diabetes ridden monstrosity. Go shoot up a school or whatever it is you morons do for fun these days. I don't know what it is with Americans specifically, but the hubris of that trademark american delusional overconfidence when it comes to understanding foreign cultural social structures is real loving annoying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dont Touch ME fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 25, 2020