Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Crokinole is just British slang for a grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Crokinole is just British slang for a grave.

*bows deeply*

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Both “teams” should have the same type of pieces, whether painted or other unpainted. I’ve usually only seen unpainted ones. I feel like this would affect the friction, which is also why I wouldn’t use a different surface. I hope I still have my board somewhere in the basement, it was like a hundred bucks when i bought it a decade ago and I imagine it’s even more expensive now

the ones I'm thinking of were sold in box stores as recently as... 20 years ago, maybe? the modern pieces are hard plastic, red and green with white shooters and a black high-score piece, but the older ones were wood (stained rather than painted, so it doesn't affect the sliding).

the boards themselves are plywood with wood framing and cotton nets at each cornet

SayHelloToParsley
Jan 14, 2018

spacetoaster posted:

Question for those of you who have played before: Does the board surface matter? I imagine you'd get a few practice flicks before the game begins, but it looks like there aren't any rules on the wooden surface other than "smooth".

I'm wondering because if I build one I'm wondering if I want the surface smooth like glass, or just a table top (or something similar).

My husband just made one and all he could find was that waxing the surface really helps. He did the table smooth route.

Having never played this before that point, I do not know how it compares to professionally made ones.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rutibex posted:

Crokinole is not a cheap game, only the finest plywoods and most delicate waxes can stand up to rigorous canadian standards

i'm a pinball player, no random bullshit hobby is too outrageously expensive for me

chalupacabra
Apr 13, 2007

I have no idea what I'm doing.
My board hangs in the foyer with a clock face on it. We bust it out every time we have a party and it's always a huge hit. Unfortunately it's been awhile and the board is collecting dust these days. Thanks covid.

chalupacabra fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2020

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I bought one from a hardware store years ago, I think it was made by local Mennonites? Real solid quality, all wood, nice and heavy

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
We had a nice board growing up, but I think it ended up getting sold at a garage sale or something. Not a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
My local game night used to have a crokinole table (the host moved out of that house a couple years ago). It was fun and I was pretty okay at it, which was always a nice nightcap after getting my rear end handed to me in one of those 2-3 hour strategic board games.